• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
It feels so goddamn weird to watch one of my all time favorite bands playing their balls off and getting zero reaction from the audience. The Pixies are on stage and they are being treated like just any old opening band. It's almost surreal to sit here and hear some of my favorite songs and see no one in front of me acting like it matters at all. I feel like an old man. Anyone ever been here before?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they are all posting on a different forum about how nobody is enjoying the music

Jk, you're just getting old

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
That's weird. Pixies are still pretty popular. Back when I was heavy into rock music/indie rock (~4-5 years ago), they were very popular among my social groups.

Maybe Weezer fans aren't Pixies fans?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That's absolutely disgusting.

I fucking hate loving a band that's opening for another. It's always a miserable experience.

I felt similarly when I watched Queens of the Stone Age open for the Foo Fighters last year, and people around me seemed to not know a single song from their setlist.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you expect, you're at a Weezer concert. Crowd being lame seems to be a given. Leave after The Pixies play!

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
My wife had this experience at a Third Eye Blind concert. The popular songs got a response but for the rest of the show, the crowd seemed to just mingle amongst themselves like the band was just background. It sucked, we empathize with ya.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
Funny my daughter saw Weezer open for Panic at the Disco and I was like what?? She had no idea who Weezer was.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's like watching the Stones opening for Blink 182.

And yes it's disgusting.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I like going to shows where the only people who know about the bands would also like the opener. I saw Helmet and the Toadies together and it was awesome. The Helmet singer kept saying how it was the most women they've had at a show in 15 years, though.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish these old losers would get off the stage so we can watch the old losers we came here for. I hope they play Africa.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Had something similar with Malkmus and the Jicks and Father John Misty.

Pixies aren't very popular in 2019 though. Hasn't all their recent music had terrible critical reception? I doubt they've gained many new fans in the past decade.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
It feels so goddamn weird to watch one of my all time favorite bands playing their balls off and getting zero reaction from the audience. The Pixies are on stage and they are being treated like just any old opening band. It's almost surreal to sit here and hear some of my favorite songs and see no one in front of me acting like it matters at all. I feel like an old man. Anyone ever been here before?

I went to see them open up for Weezer last summer. It was weird to see very little recognition even for their more popular songs. I took a huge Pixies fan with me, so he had a ton of fun!

OP
OP
Rag

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
lol you went to that show? I thought about it, the Idaho Center is like 2 miles away from where I live, but the thought of seeing Weezer in 2019...
My brother in law bought tickets for him and his wife and it worked out that she didn't want to go. I'll take free tickets and a night out at Flying Pie any old day of the week.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh- we had the same your stop by a couple weeks back and everyone was all about the pixies. I guess it depends on the region.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
I realized the other day how big of an influence The Pixies are on Weezer. You don't need to look any further than I Bleed-The Sweater Song lol

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
They tour together a lot it seems, this tour was going on last year

I saw the Pixies headline in Philly like a month back tho and holy shit it was like 2 hours straight of just song song song song song

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Saw this show at Jones Beach last year. Basically Pixies opened up and everyone crammed into the little "drinking only allowed here" section of the (shitty) venue. Just people yelling over one another as TP tried to win the crowd. They then played Where is My Mind and everyone was like "oooo I know this" and then it went back to just everyone talking over one another.

It's sad, especially since they're an opening act for Weezer. But as others have said they haven't had a good album in 20 years, and what Gen Xer would be caught at a Weezer concert? Fuck I feel old as a millennial...

OP
OP
Rag

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
They are seriously playing every fucking song I'd want to hear. It's real good.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
It was decently bumping when they were in Des Moines. People were lukewarm on the opener before Pixies though.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I saw the Pixies when they reformed (about 15 years ago now?) in London. They were one of my favourite bands for years and I was so excited.. but they were just kind of underwhelming. I don't know if it was just the venue but there wasn't really any energy from them.

Not as dissapointing as Mercury Rev or Slint though.

Feels weird they are supporting Weezer though. Nothing against Weezer

dots

Oct 27, 2017
I like going to shows where the only people who know about the bands would also like the opener. I saw Helmet and the Toadies together and it was awesome. The Helmet singer kept saying how it was the most women they've had at a show in 15 years, though.
Toadies put on a good show.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Pixies live are great because they just bang out song after song after song with no breaks. but I guess that's not what people want when they go to a Weezer concert

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw The Pixies play in Missoula this past summer, they were headlining and the crowd was pretty into it. Sucks to see them open for Weezer. I mean, neither are releasing great albums these days but I feel like The Pixies legacy is more or less in tact, while Weezer's was gone sometime around the muppets or Beverly Hills.

somajunkie

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing The Pixies like 3-4 years ago because a friend invited me. The lead singer forgot how to play some songs and would mumble over lyrics. That shit was wack and I could see why people wouldn't be excited about them.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the Pixies when they reformed (about 15 years ago now?) in London. They were one of my favourite bands for years and I was so excited.. but they were just kind of underwhelming. I don't know if it was just the venue but there wasn't really any energy from them.

Not as dissapointing as Mercury Rev or Slint though.

Feels weird they are supporting Weezer though. Nothing against Weezer
I saw them in 2004 and they were awesome, top 5 concert I've been to, sounds like you just got a bad show. That sucks.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Weezer fans in 2019 being lame isn't surprising tbh.

I was gonna say it was your fault expecting people to be excited for an opener even if they're famous but then I remembered I've been to shows where the opener is a total no-name and people got hyped up.

Sorry lol