• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the mood for NCAA Football 14, Backbreaker Football, and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Is it wrong of me just to shell out 100-150 bucks just to replicate a couple games' experiences? I hardly play my PS4 anymore, but I long for the simplicity that the 7th generation console games provided.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
CODBLOPS is BC on Xbox One. Don't think the others are though.

If you'd play them enough, no harm in picking one up for cheap. If you're getting a 360, probably better off going for one of the latter revisions. Same for PS3 really...

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its irresponsible and I get it, there are tons of great games last gen I've been meaning to replay. Chief among them the mass effect trilogy. But maybe wait to see what they say about backwards compatablity for the PS5. in the next few weeks.

Oct 28, 2017
I think along the way you'll discover a few more games that you will want to play as well. So i think it will be worth it in the long run. I own 5 PS3 controllers and zero of them work without being plugged in at all times. So i would consider getting the freshest controller/console as possible to avoid any garbage down the road. I lean towards 360 because of i preferred the controller for most genres during that generation. It can also take AA's.

But most of the great 360 games are BC on XB1.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Of course not. Buy the hardware that you want for the games that you want to play. No reason to be stuck to just a single system or a single generation.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I bought a used ps3 for blackops 2. Best zombies in cod in my opinion and couch coop with the family made it worth it.

OP
OP
Real

Real

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be lying if I didn't say that the main reason that I wanted to scoop a PS3 cheap is for NCAA Football 2014, which, as you guys know, is probably not going to be made again because of the Ed O'Bannon case.

Still doing my research -- I never really have owned an Xbox console and I've never been exposed to Halo in its full glory. If I were to ever get an Xbox 360, I'd probably be better off getting an Xbox One All Digital + Game Pass.

Decisions, decisions....

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It's definitely a good buy, especially cause surely there's a lot of gems you missed, last gen was a treasure despite people saying it killed the AA segment, so many "lowkey" games like Folklore, Puppeteer, Cave Shmups are stuck there.

If you aren't in a hurry i'm sure you can find some really good deals from impatient youngsters who want to sell asap, my brother managed to get a basically perfect slim ps3 for 50 bucks, with a bunch of (sadly forgettable) games too

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I bought another 360 (all they had in the Gamestop near me were used) just about a couple years ago just to play Ninja Gaiden II again. It was freezing a lot on my old Xbox 360 so I thought it was on its way out.

Unfortunately, it wasn't my 360 and the game started freezing on the "newer" console too (I forgot about that game's patch issues).

No, I don't think it's dumb, especially now since PS3 Slims seem to be pretty cheap on ebay (this reminds me I still need to get a copy of 3D Dot Heroes...).

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in the mood for NCAA Football 14, Backbreaker Football, and Call of Duty: Black Ops.

Is it wrong of me just to shell out 100-150 bucks just to replicate a couple games' experiences? I hardly play my PS4 anymore, but I long for the simplicity that the 7th generation console games provided.
You should wait until april at least.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Having sold off my Halo Reach Xbox 360 console a few months back, I'm already considering trying to track down one of those "E" consoles just to play some Halo and Scott Pilgrim from time to time. Sold off most of my discs but I don't mind buying a few things digital.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'd say go for an Xbox 360 since you've never owned any Xbox console before. I will warn you that NCAA Football 14 is pretty pricey though.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Fyi all PS3s are hackable, and with homebrew you can install updated 2020 rosters for NCAA 14.

edit: apparently don't need homebrew for rosters? Not entirely sure. Still cool though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I still get the urge to go back to 7th gen stuff sometimes, so I doubt I would give up my PS3 anytime soon. In fact I replaced my first PS3 with a super-slim just last year. I'm hoping we start seeing PS3 backwards compatibility, so much great stuff there

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not crazy, I re setup my 360 to play MvC2, can't do that on any modern system

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Buying any console is fiscally irresponsible.. But you get them for enjoyment anyways. Same thing applies here

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'd you're really feeling that hesitant, put together a big list of old games you'd like to revisit/play for the first time so you can really justify it. But also maybe wait to see what the new consoles offer in terms of back-compat?

OP
OP
Real

Real

Oct 28, 2017
I'd you're really feeling that hesitant, put together a big list of old games you'd like to revisit/play for the first time so you can really justify it. But also maybe wait to see what the new consoles offer in terms of back-compat?

Is it rumored that the PS5 will have PS3 compatibility...?

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
The NCAA Football series is my favorite of all time. What sucks is that it will never be made backward compatible because of licensing issues. Same for Beatles Rock Band. I still have my 360 only because of those 2 games. I don't play them often, but I like knowing that I can of the mood strikes.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did the same thing to play MW2 a couple years ago. Ended up selling the 360 for what I paid when I was done.

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York

It all depends on your finantial situation.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
What are some other good 360/PS3 games that never became compatible with current gen or got remasters?

I recently picked up Killzone 2 for PS3 and it was pretty fun to go back to.

My cousin and I had a lot of fun back in the day with All Pro Football 2k8.. the last 2k football game IIRC.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Have we officially reached the point where people are nostalgic over last gen?

i mean, VF5 came out fully 12 years ago now. You're goddamn right I miss it, I'll probably never get another one. Ditto for motorstorm games.

nostalgic is probably the wrong word - I'd just like properly inplemented BC across the board next gen.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What are some other good 360/PS3 games that never became compatible with current gen or got remasters?

I recently picked up Killzone 2 for PS3 and it was pretty fun to go back to.

My cousin and I had a lot of fun back in the day with All Pro Football 2k8.. the last 2k football game IIRC.
X-Men Origins Wolverine.
Skate 2.
El Shaddai.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Wait for them to confirm that PS5 doesn't have that pipedream everything BC, then I'd say go nuts. Last gen games are as cheap as they're going to get, and the hardware is pretty cheap too.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
depends on your personal situation but throwing a few benjamins at a 360/ps3 with proper software will definitely not deprive you of a good time

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Just wait a few months until PS5 is announced in the offchance it manages PS3 backwards compatibility. That way you could put the money you'd spend in a PS3 towards a PS5 instead and then transfer your PS4 stuff over and sell the PS4 too.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great idea. I found an Xbox360 a couple of years ago solely to play Alan Wake. No regrets.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I still play stuff like Fight Night and NCAA 2014 on my PS3 from time to time. There's still plenty of use to get out of the last gen systems if you can afford the space. On another note, I didn't realize NCAA blew up in price so quickly. I'm glad I snagged a copy of it a few years ago when it was still only 20 bucks.

OP
OP
Real

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, guys. Got a PS3 Super Slim on eBay for $42 and got a copy of NCAA for $41 off Amazon Warehouse.