• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yes/NO

• Yes

Votes: 417 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 199 25.5%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 165 21.1%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Edit edit: Hair dyed

Edit: Update Ordered

Was going to save this for weekend era, but if I'm gonna time it right, I need to order the stuff today or tomorrow, so Thursday it is.

I've wanted to dye my hair off and on for quite some time. It seems fun, and I like the look on other people. Like, in theory it's great. I wish more people had anime-colored hair. But I also have a shitload of social hangups about this sorta thing, so every time I'm struck with the idea I shoot it down pretty quickly. Like I feel like I'm both too old and too ... guy? for such things.

Not sure it would look good on me, either. Some days I can picture it, others it just seems sorta cringe.

Like I feel like I need a better excuse to do it than "well that sounds fun" because ... who knows. I just feel like I need excuses to do things. Like it's gotta be justifiable to someone.

I'd wind up using the Overtone stuff for brown hair since it doesn't involve any major work. It's not permanent, so you gotta condition it, but that also means you can just skip a few days and it'll fade. It's not the most vibrant purple out there, but it's def not brown which is what my current hair color is. Got a few grey hairs but only like three. They hide pretty well, but i know they are there. The bastards.

There's no big rules about it where I work, though I'm in a factory environment so there will absolutely be some backlash, some playful, some probably not. The amount of MAGA hats last year was disappointing. It's one of those "not in the mood for that kind of high school shit" vs "well then don't bring it on yourself!"

This got longer than I wanted it to. Wonder if I can add a poll...

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
We all want you to do what makes you feel confident about yourself.

If you think this is one thing you can do to achieve that, go for it and fuck the haters.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
If your hair is short if you somewhat regret it just use a cap lol, so go for it?

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who just turned 40, and has let their hair grow for the last 8 months since they were pretty much born go for it. I got some mad curly hair and people are loving it. Just have your fun.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you're asking what I personally think looks good then I say no. But really you should do what makes you happy.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
What's you risk tolerance? Would you be okay losing your job over it considering the MAGA environment you're describing?

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Purple either really works or you look like shit.

You know your head better than us, do it if you think it's a good idea.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
tumblr_inline_pc595uooct1ucl3ah_540.png

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Voted yes because you should just do whatever makes you happy. If you think it looks terrible on you, dye it back lol.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
You'll probably get some grief for it, but with this sort of thing I think you just have to own it. The type of people who would poke fun at you for it (in a not harmless way) would probably find some other reason to poke at you if not for the hair, so if you expect that's going to happen anyway you might as well have fun while they're doing it. Plus they will look ridiculous for making fun of someone's hair, whether they're self-aware enough to realize it or not.

Go for it.

OP
OP
Conkersbadfurday
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
What's you risk tolerance? Would you be okay losing your job over it considering the MAGA environment you're describing?
Ah it wouldn't come to that. It's funny, because my boss does give me shit for dressing like I don't care. I'm a band tshirt + jeans kind of guy. Rarely actually comb my hair. I like it all messy and wooshy. He has no hair and spent some time in the military once upon a time, so I offend his aesthetic sensibilities already, but he's pretty "you keep up your output and you can dress however the fuck you want."

His words, not mine! It's a factory. Most people are very casual unless they're in like accounting or whatever.

But I spent a lot of my high school years getting bullied for shit, and I guess I have some intrinsic "What if it happens again?" ingrained in me yet. Fucked how some of that shit just doesn't go away on its own.

Purple either really works or you look like shit.

You know your head better than us, do it if you think it's a good idea.
I think it's a good idea basically every other day :P Hence the poll.

Also not enough people picking Thor.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes - not trying to stir up feelings, but hair can't be relied on to be there next year.

Try it while you got it.

OP
OP
Conkersbadfurday
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Yes - not trying to stir up feelings, but hair can't be relied on to be there next year.

Try it while you got it.
Hair loss skips like four generations in my family, and my poor brother might be saddled with it :( He's a few years younger than me, already turning pretty grey, and losing what he's got. I've a feeling in another two years or less, he'll buzz it all and go the bald look. He's very unhappy about it.

He dyed his hair brown once. Still not sure why. Hell I didn't even notice until he told me.

Last edited:

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Go for it, but the overtone stuff on brown hair without bleaching is gonna give you pretty subtle results.

I like to keep my hair natural, since I love the color brown and I hate things that require maintenance, but a lot of my friends color theirs and it looks really nice. Don't need any sort of reason other than you feel like it.

OP
OP
Conkersbadfurday
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Go for it, but the overtone stuff on brown hair without bleaching is gonna give you pretty subtle results.

I like to keep my hair natural, since I love the color brown and I hate things that require maintenance, but a lot of my friends color theirs and it looks really nice. Don't need any sort of reason other than you feel like it.
The pictures on the site make it look like a cross between subtle and "that's real purple!" and I'm not entirely sure how it'll end up in the end. The reviews are all pretty high, but people I know with experience dying their hair have told me not to get my hopes too high.

I can't be asked to bleach it though. Hell, can barely be asked to buy Overtone :P

Ronald_Raygun

Oct 27, 2017
Austin
OP, I'm a 32 y o cis white male and I dye my hair different colors on the reg. Sometimes I paint my nails too. It's fun, you should do it. Anyone that gives you shit is not worth your time.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
The pictures on the site make it look like a cross between subtle and "that's real purple!" and I'm not entirely sure how it'll end up in the end. The reviews are all pretty high, but people I know with experience dying their hair have told me not to get my hopes too high.

I can't be asked to bleach it though. Hell, can barely be asked to buy Overtone :P

It'll probably be more obvious in sunlight, but in dim light people might not even notice a difference. Granted, I don't know exactly what tone of brown your hair is. It will probably make your hair a little darker overall, too.

But it's fun, and as you said it's low cost and low commitment so why not try it out if it interests you?

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
we stuck in the house, might as well. i tried to dye my hair blue but didn't have the right stuff.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Dyed my hair for the first time at 32, soo much seratonin for weeks it was great cant wait to go back to the salon

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
When work from home started I was absolutely considering it (my work environment would not be cool with anything that wasn't a natural occurring color), but my hair is jet black and I'd need to bleach my hair first if I wanted the color to actually show up, and I just wasn't comfortable with doing it myself at the time. Maybe one day...

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like I feel like I'm both too old and too ... guy?
You could always play to your advantages.
ef3f729ffa94d860dbdc66d50d6fd747.jpg

This isn't me, but I (28y/o) did this last year before Covid and it was extremely easy to both bleach and dye. If you have/can grow a beard it's a really good test bed for if you want to expand it to the rest of your hair, because if it sucks you just shave it off.