• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always worried if what I am doing is correct or if I will bother someone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried what other people think of me, but if I'm hurting or bothering them, if even slightly. This aspect of me is to a degree where it has crippled me on some respect, so it is not healthy. You can say I give all the damns.

Many times I really envy all the self-centered people that just don't give a damn about anyone else. I hope I could be like them, if only just a bit.

Anyone else in the same boat? How many damns do you generally give?

Last edited:

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many times I really envy all the self-centered people that just don't give a damn about anyone else. I hope I could be like them, if only just a bit.
I'm not sure if I'm fully understanding what you're meaning, so I may be off in my response - but I can't relate, sorry. Seeing videos of people being inconsiderate, racist, obnoxious, self-absorbed, prideful, delusional, willfully ignorant, Karen-esque, etc., only makes me want to be that much better about speaking up if/when I see it happen in front of me.

Those people/moments are also helping me identify moments in my past and present where I've been inconsiderate, racist, obnoxious, self-absorbed, prideful, delusional, willfully ignorant, Karen-esque, etc.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm always worried if what I am doing is correct or if I will bother someone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not worried what other people think of me, but if I'm hurting or bothering them, if even slightly. This aspect of me is to a degree where it has crippled me on some respect, so it is not healthy. You can say I give all the damns.

Could you maybe give an example? What was the last situation that made you feel that way?

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
Just try to do your best, but know when and where to draw a line.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

100%, i've tried for a long time to stop giving a shit; but its impossible.

I honestly have no clue if you could classify this as anxiety or not. It certainly feels like it.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Could you maybe give an example? What was the last situation that made you feel that way?
Exercise is very important for me. In particular cycling. However, I'm afraid of doing my routine indoor with a trainer because its noisy and my downstairs neighbors might find the noise bothersome, so I take the trainer outside to an open aisle. But today some people moved to the apartment way on the back, which was empty until now, and I had to move to let them through. Now I'm very worried of doing my exercise at all... I wish I would not give a damn and let the other people to deal with the noise like others have done to me many times.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I try to treat others the way I'd like to be treated myself, but yes, I've caused severe emotional pain to myself to support the ones I love in anything they need. I also just can't deal with the fact that I can hurt someone, it physically hurts me to know that I made someone feel bad, so I get you OP, it's really, really crappy, on one hand I'd love to change that and be more calm, but part of me feels that it's not a bad attitude to have, so I also don't want to change it, if that makes any sense.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Just try your best to listen to people. If you are told something is wrong, hear what people are saying.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

I can somewhat relate. Sometimes I wish certain things didn't bother me, but I'm not involved in the scenario. If I bring harm to someone I would like to be aware and care about that, but sometimes I wish I could stop letting the rest of the world get to me.

Jan 11, 2019
The key is loving others through being able to love yourself. Just learn to love yourself and boom, you got it.

Also, I play bass and I have an amp in my room. I asked my neigbours if they here it (of course they do lol). So I asked them if it bothers them (sometimes, most times not). So I promised them that I only practice without headphones until 9pm. And any time during the day that they are bothered (like during lockdown when they have to do homeoffice) they can come to my door at any time and tell me to stop. I have a great relationship with them and since this exchange we've often also exchanged pots, pans, salt and pasta and sexu... salt and pasta.

Last edited:

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Exercise is very important for me. In particular cycling. However, I'm afraid of doing my routine indoor with a trainer because its noisy and my downstairs neighbors might find the noise bothersome, so I take the trainer outside to an open aisle. But today some people moved to the apartment way on the back, which was empty until now, and I had to move to let them through. Now I'm very worried of doing my exercise at all... I wish I would not give a damn and let the other people to deal with the noise like others have done to me many times.
Go downstairs and ask your neighbor if it bothers them or they even notice it first. Living around people is a push and pull. Don't be afraid to talk to people if you are worried about something annoying others. You might even make some new friends.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've stopped caring what other people might think. It was hard on my mental health.

I try and be good and do what I think is best and if someone has a problem with it, they can tell me and I'll fix it. No more worrying that person A might not like it

Dec 21, 2017
Zero, mostly. I'm open to reason for a lot of things, but at the same time, I don't care to bend over backwards to prove myself to anyone or anything.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
As someone who worked quite hard to get past similar feelings, I can tell you that your constant second-guessing and pre-emptive apologising could very well be more irritating than what you're trying to prevent.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If it's a reasonable time of day and not for too long, you should do it in your apartment. People are tolerant of reasonable amount of noise within their apartment.

Occupying the landing area outside your apartment is unusual and less acceptable.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a reasonable time of day and not for too long, you should do it in your apartment. People are tolerant of reasonable amount of noise within their apartment.

Occupying the landing area outside your apartment is unusual and less acceptable.
Is a shared house, so I initially took it as part of the yard...

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Don't extend to others more compassion than you have for yourself. If to give them an inch you shrink yourself a mile, that's not kindness or caring but the destruction of the self.

Dec 19, 2018
It's a good thing to care and it does make a difference whether you see all the effects on others or not. But if you feel exhausted it may be time to take a look at what is draining you- is it "caring" in general? Probably not. It's probably "caring" about things that you can't influence or change- or you're stuck in a loop on a cause or area that really bugs you and you need a break. So be careful and mindful of who, what, where, and when! It's exhausting to care about things that you can not influence or control - or when you have to pump the breaks because time and patience seem to dictate progress. We all have hot button issues that can affect us to our core or really resonate with us and those are the ones worth caring about. If it's "caring" in general that is exhausting maybe it's time to log off, allow yourself to ignore the news and noise around you, and lean on a new friend or hobby or change in your life that gets you excited about being present. Good luck! And you should be proud to care and feel good about being a mindful, contributing person. Don't envy the ignorant and lazy.

[updated after reading some examples in the comments that OP is giving] Treating others the way you would like to be treated is typically good advice. But if you are using that to nitty gritty your way into empathizing with every little irritation that anybody could have, then you don't get to take care of your own needs sometimes. For your exercise scenario: it's great to be mindful about noise levels for your neighbors- but has anyone ever complained? Would you be particularly bothered if roles were reversed and it was your neighbor working out? What if they gave you a heads up? If it's important to you, don't let an unproven "what if" stop you.

Last edited:

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
This is something I can relate to and I think this can be fixed. As TalonJH pointed out, you could just ask your neighbors if they are bothered by it.
A better solution might be that you use your trainer at a reasonable hour for a reasonable amount of time and not worry about it till your neighbors actually complain. This way you exercise not giving a damn while also being ready to be considerate if confronted about it.

More generally: It's not so bad to be somewhat inconsiderate if you are a person that is friendly, approachable and willing to change. (At least in my experience.)