• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I always wanted a ferret, but never got the chance to get one. Talk me into/out of getting a ferret. Are they good pets? Is the smell as bad as people say?

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
Have had a ferret in the past. They're like kittens that never grow up. As for the smell, they're not particularly stinky as long as you clean their cages.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I've kept various ferrets for ten years. They're my little companions. The trick with the smell is to wash the bedding every week or two. Oils from the skin will slowly get soaked into the bedding, which has a very strong smell. I usually hot wash their laundry with a splash of white vinegar to cleanse the odor. Keep the cage very clean (use a non-toxic spray like Nature's Miracle).

Be sure to feed them a quality food. Avoid Marshall's food. A "decent" pet store ferret food is Zupreem. The quality shit is Wysong Epigen 90 Digestive Support. Gotta order it online.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll respond as I can.

OP
OP
Uncle at Nintendo

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I've kept various ferrets for ten years. They're my little companions. The trick with the smell is to wash the bedding every week or two. Oils from the skin will slowly get soaked into the bedding, which has a very strong smell. I usually hot wash their laundry with a splash of white vinegar to cleanse the odor. Keep the cage very clean (use a non-toxic spray like Nature's Miracle).

Be sure to feed them a quality food. Avoid Marshall's food. A "decent" pet store ferret food is Zupreem. The quality shit is Wysong Epigen 90 Digestive Support. Gotta order it online.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll respond as I can.

Do I need to "Ferret Proof" my home and what should I watch out for?

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Do I need to "Ferret Proof" my home and what should I watch out for?

Yeah, you'll need to ferret proof. If possible, start by just letting them in 1 room. Observe them, see what they get into, and adjust. Then expand their roaming area. I personally do not let mine in the kitchen, as they can get behind the fridge (they can get burned on the coils) or under the stove (get stuck). I also keep my bedroom a ferret-free zone. So they get my office, the living room, and my little foyer/entry way area to play in.

Not all ferrets chew cords/cables, but some do. Get a bitter apple gel (the sprays aren't strong enough) and rub it on your cables if they do start chewing. NO RECLINERS. The moving metal bits inside recliners are a ferret death trap.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
As long as you're not in California or Hawaii, you're good.

Yeah the list of banned pets in CA is silly... Hedgehogs illegal too? Cmon... I was sad when I moved here and found out (had one as a kid).

I often heard it's best to get 2 as they are very social creatures and they kerp each other company.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
They are very fun pets. Very playful and friendly, and they like to snuggle once they've run out of energy for the time being. You need to be adamant about training them to not nip and use their litter boxes. My ferret was very easy to train initially, but then when she was around a year old got stubborn and had to be retrained. I never completely got her out of the habit of biting my ankles while I was brushing my teeth, but I did at least get her to bite gently.

They do have a distinctive musky smell. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable.

Absolutely ferret-proof any rooms they will be allowed in. They can squeeze through very small gaps.

I'd suggest getting two of them, if you get any. They really should have a buddy.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the list of banned pets in CA is silly... Hedgehogs illegal too? Cmon... I was sad when I moved here and found out (had one as a kid).

I often heard it's best to get 2 as they are very social creatures and they kerp each other company.

Yep, HIGHLY recommend two. The little dudes can actually get depressed without a bonded friend.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
They are fucking adorable and if you handle them literally 90% of the day they are great pets.

Downsides:
You HAVE to get at least two. They need company.
You HAVE to give them a room that is ferret proofed for them to play in.
You HAVE to clean the litter box at least once a day, if not three.
You HAVE to wipe down the cage surfaces at least once a day.
You HAVE to groom them correctly and trim their nails weekly.
And doing all this they will still smell horrible to most.

Source: former ferret owner. Loved them for their short lifespans, will never get more >.<

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ferret owners who tell you they don't absolutely reek are not your friend. And they will do this as regular as clockwork. They are fantastic animals but if you have neighbors or roommates don't do it.

and if you rent prepare to lose all your deposit and more.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Ferret owners who tell you they don't absolutely reek are not your friend. And they will do this as regular as clockwork. They are fantastic animals but if you have neighbors or roommates don't do it.

and if you rent prepare to lose all your deposit and more.

Have been renting for ten years and never lost a security deposit. Shrug.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
They're crazy and adorable, and we love ours to death.

I will absolutely never get another.

They require constant attention, especially when they're young and tiny - they can squeeze into everywhere. Ferret-proofing your place is doable with some trial-and-error, but they do learn new tricks with time. Just recently, ours discovered a way into the central air vents from behind our fridge!

Although they're kept in cages and sleep most of the day, they aren't really cage animals - they need like four hours of outside time every day.

Also, yeah, the smell. It's there, but it isn't too bad if you really keep up on it. Litter boxes, bedding, keep it clean. Only bathe the ferret itself every once in a while, though, or they'll start overproducing oils, and they'll be even muskier!

They're great, rewarding animals. I just don't always have the time and energy for the little bastards. It's not them, it's me. Thankfully between the two of us, we take pretty good care of ours. But after this, never again!

So if you're getting one/some (my friend has three, the crazy bastard), just make sure you're the right kind of person for it. Less cat, more dog.

Yes, we still love ours. Little shit.
SAmNPwt.jpg

Last edited: