• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
thanksgiving is over, but I just wanted to drop some love on Remedy for sticking to their mixed media stylings

giphy.gif

MQ0z8Gv.gif

tumblr_oubu1rmefP1r00lgio1_500.gif

control-11-new-screenshots_ks4c.640.jpg

Their commitment to mixed media gives their games such a unique and interesting feeling. Having the actors both modeled and played in the games themselves, or acting along side characters you meet or play as in the game, adds an extra sort of, i dunno, tangibility to them in a way? Like they feel more realistic, even when being played in maybe a more over the top or stereotypical way.

No other games feel quite like Remedy games, maybe not in how they play, mind, but in how they present themselves to the player. That sort of tactile connection they share by incorporating live-action just makes them shine a bit more in my eyes.

It's a unique touch that I would hate to see fade away, and playing through Control anytime there was mixed-media presented I was chuffed.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
I agree, I hope Remedy continues to blend and mix the medias together! Man, QB was so dam good. I really loved the TV episodes in between chapters. I personally liked QB better than Control, but Control wasn't bad. Ready to see whatever Remedy does next! :D

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I wish Remedy would release the video content for Quantum Break separately. It would be a shame to lose those videos one day.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I still need to play quantum break and Control. But I've loved every other Remedy game.

Alan Wake is so good. I was hooked on that story, and yes, the FMV starring Fake Gyllenhaal was really really good.
source.gif

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
They sort of lost sight of what makes this stuff work with Quantum Break, but CONTROL is right back to their standard of mixed media implementation, and quite possibly the best they've done so far. There's an inherent weirdness to seeing live action video show up in videogames, so when you play into that off-putting vibe with either comedy or surrealism it very much works to their benefit. That balancing act is when Remedy is at their best.

Oct 25, 2017
Darling is one of the best characters of this year. The live action bits of CONTROL were incredible and so, so smartly implemented. Remedy rules with this stuff and i also hope they never stop doing it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wish Remedy would release the video content for Quantum Break separately. It would be a shame to lose those videos one day.

There's a "complete" pirated copy of the PC version that includes the 1080p versions of the videos, so even if the game does disappear at some point in the future, I'm sure someone will upload them to YouTube or wherever.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really do love this sort of thing in games - it tends to feel a little funky, a little corny, but I agree it gives them a really unique identity. Ninja Theory has dipped their toes into implementing pre-recorded live action into their games, too (the funky ending of Enslaved and Druth's occasional monologues in Hellblade), and I always appreciate it there as well.

May 17, 2018
I'm glad they stuck with it because Control was the only time I feel like they got it right. Always distracted me in their previous stuff.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
control was not great, but darlings song along almost saved it. so, OP i agree. i <3 remedy

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
Didn't Max Payne have real life images touched up to look like the in game characters?

Wasn't Max Payne's face a picture of an actual developer?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it in Control and Alan Wake. It was nice to come across a TV in-game and be able to take a moment to sit back and watch a video for a couple of minutes.

Quantum Break tipped the balance waaaay too far into watching rather than playing, though. I really disliked that game and I was so happy to see them return to form with Control.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played Control yet so my opinion could change but I always found mixed In-Game & Live Action scenes more jarring & distracting than immersive.

Often questioning if these live action scenes are really worth it over performing it solely through in-game cut scenes instead.

But it's definitely become Remedy's DNA at this point, so I'm hoping to be surprised with Control.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that's up to Remedy and even then, my understanding is that Remedy didn't have control over Quantum Break's live action sequences, beyond establishing the general world

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've liked their take on it in everything outside of Quantum Break. It works soooo much better as a kind of strange, otherworldly emphasis, rather than a constant.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Casper Darling stuff was one of the best parts of Control

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yep, I've always loved the little dashes (usually) of FMV Remedy add to their games. It's one of those little touches that makes their games stand apart from the crowd.

They worked especially well in Control IMO.

rapid32.5

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Love Sam Lake's writing in the games. Control looks sterile and confined but his story telling style just adds enough touch to make these words believable. I wish KoJima used his style Im so tired of long cutscenes nowadays.

Jun 23, 2019
Have to say, I just started Control and this game is trippy as shit especially with the mixed media thrown in. I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the story, but I can shoot people and throw things with the power of a floppy disk. Lol

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I really really loved the Quantum Break series!!! Made the game soo much better.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I love that Remedy does this. Be crazy if they ever stopped, its basically their hallmark.

Wonder if they'll do it for the MMO campaign they're doing.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
While I think that Quantum Break's TV chapters is a step too far, I agree 100%: Max Payne's, Control's and, specially, Alan Wake's internal TV and radio shows are damn fantastic, and a big part of why I enjoy those stories.