• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So God of War is one of the games I'd been putting off playing until I finally had a 4k HDR TV. Now that I have that I've jumped into it, but I've found I am absolutely terrible at the combat in this game. I'm playing on the "balanced" difficulty.

It took me about five retries to beat the first "boss"
that fast tattooed guy
, and now I'm at a spot where I fought a bunch of drauger that were motionless (as a tutorial for the first skill upgrade) and now like five bigger axe-wielding ones have shown up. I'm stuck here dying over and over again. This despite finished every Souls-series game multiple times.

Does anyone have any pointers?

I think the UI to prompt you about attacks to rear is horrible and hard to see/notice. It's throwing up some yellow circle around these bigger enemies that I suppose is supposed to be prompting something, but god knows what that is since I don't remember a tip about it. The mechanic of getting Atreus to shoot arrows is completely alluding me as to its usefulness, and he keeps getting grabbed by the enemies and then I have to worry about dodging attacks I can't see while trying to work my way over to him to get him free. I'm really struggling to see how I'll actually finish this game at this point.

ThatRebel

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It's been awhile since I've played so I don't have any real pointers, but I'm pretty bad at games in general and managed to beat God of War. Maybe restart and re-read all the combat prompts/tutorials? I've found doing that with some games throughout the years actually made them much more enjoyable for me.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked how somebody can finish every Souls game, but dies at a few trash mobs in GOW. I mean GOW isn't even that hard ;D

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Parry, throw axe to stun, use atreus to stagger, build up the meter with punches to instant kill one, recall your axe, use heavy to juggle.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked how somebody can finish every Souls game, but dies at a few trash mobs in GOW. I mean GOW isn't even that hard ;D
it's interesting because it gives me hope that I might actually be able to play the souls games. I found God of war to be fairly balanced and a good challenge but nothing I couldn't get past, but I shied away from playing any of the souls games based on how difficult they're supposed to be.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
It gets much easier. I had a lot of trouble at the start as well.

Yellow is attacks you can parry. Red you cannot so you need to dodge.

Arrows peck away at enemy health. Don't worry, he gets more useful and you don't have to save him all that often.

Here's a Polygon starting guide that I believe I found useful.

Polygon God of War starting guide.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just select a lower difficulty until you get used to it and if you feel ready, bump the difficulty up again.

Oct 25, 2017
God of War is one of those games where you're really weak at the start and the difficulty levels off after a while. Be patient and take your time. Don't mash and abuse long range attacks once you get them. Dodge and rotate a lot. You'll get it down.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It starts hard but you'll get abilities and powers that will turn the tide to your favour.
Just try to keep your enemies at front, move around and check that enemies behind you are far away.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's interesting because it gives me hope that I might actually be able to play the souls games. I found God of war to be fairly balanced and a good challenge but nothing I couldn't get past, but I shied away from playing any of the souls games based on how difficult they're supposed to be.
Start with Bloodborne! ^_^

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some people just get used and talented at certain gameplay styles. OP probably good at Dark Souls-like games with similar control schemes and gameplay elements.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I think the best advice OP is to take the beating.

When I had my play through, I selected the hardest difficulty and ended up spending maybe two hours trying to live through the first area mob (where projectile enemies on the cliff are introduced).

Instead of lowering the difficulty (or even looking up video tips), I just kept restarting because every attempt meant I learned something new about the combat system. Even at your lowered difficulty you would benefit in the same way.

Later on in the game, where some really crazy combat situations happen, I actually spent less time on new encounters than early on because of how much muscle memory and combat knowledge I had built up. Eventually, I beat the entire game, including all optional areas, and all the optional bosses. Not once did I look up any strategies.

So stick with it. It'll all come together eventually.

Toreal

Nov 5, 2017
Some good advice from other people already, but a question about your new TV. Do you have any picture processing activ on it, that could be causing higher input lag than your older TV? Does the game feel responsive to play for you?

OP
OP
Teiresias

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone, restarting actually probably isn't a bad idea since I started the game and then went away for work for a week and am now back restarting.

One thing that I find disconcerting is how close the camera is to Kratos's back, it feels very restrictive and reminds me of my issues when playing Resident Evil 4 for the first time, so that has something to do with it relative to the Souls game (that and I keep trying to use the souls button assignment for rolling, lol!!)

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The start of the game is weird, as is the game's difficulty curve in general. I struggled at first but then I had to up the difficulty later on to not get bored, it got easier and easier the further I progressed. Except for the optional / postgame stuff.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Restarting is the way to go.

I went back and started a new game+ playthrough and couldn't believe how bad I sucked.

Not a game that forgives rustiness.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
If you are on Pro, use the high framerate mode. It's going to help a lot.

I move a lot and exclusively use the quick attacks. I found out that the slow but powerful attacks are useless. I also don't use the combos. Just keep it simple.

You could start each encounters by running towards the ennemy and R2 (or R1) to jump and do a powerful attack at the same time then a few quick attacks like R1, then run to another ennemy and do the same.

The secret is to keep moving preferably by running.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also a Souls vet and had to bump down the difficulty in both this and Spider-Man to the lowest one. It's weird, but ultimately I enjoyed a more fluid experience with less deaths and stress.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I felt like it got better the more abilities you get. The way the game starts you out is overly barebones

Aug 10, 2019
It sounds like you have the necessary skill for From Software games. They're only hard if you're hard on yourself. If you can take your losses as something to learn from, then you have the most important piece of the puzzle.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
I was like that when I first started, then managed to get the platinum and looking back now I have no idea how and why I've done it

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Don't mash. Count out your attacks. Don't think you NEED to parry everything.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
5 tries on the first boss isnt bad at all. You're just getting the hand of the combat. You'll get better, just keep on going.
And as you upgrade your abilities you'll find fights a lot easier.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Try to make good use of the axe throw, you can trip enemies by throwing it at their legs. Using the heavy throw you can also freeze enemies and keep them out of the mix.

Also if you position it right when you recall the axe it will automatically find a way to hit any enemies even close to it's path back to you, so you can line up enemies for maximum effect!

Once you throw the axe use your fists sometimes too! They build the stun meter much faster and open up quick finishers (pair it with Atreus's arrows to build the meter super fast).

If you're having trouble with the big guys try to stun em and do a finisher: it ends with you throwing them and you can throw them off the cliff of that arena you're having trouble with.

If all else fails you can try to keep distance between you and enemies and pepper them with arrows and axe throws.

Also, even as a dev I had to lower the difficulty partway through and only turned it back up when I got comfortable with certain tactics, so definitely don't hesitate to toggle that if need be!

Good luck!

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Atreus gets useful after you upgrade him a bit, ar first it does seem like a useless companion that actually needa your help. Try just mastering the simple combo (timing) and learning when to press circle to not get hit

Soon you will get some audio help during battle that also help wen they attacking you from behind, but for now Atreus can also help by warning you

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
That drauger part you're talking about was the hardest part in the entire game for me. Dont remember having any issues past that part. Stick with it and enjoy the rest. Awesome game.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Try to make good use of the axe throw, you can trip enemies by throwing it at their legs. Using the heavy throw you can also freeze enemies and keep them out of the mix.

Also if you position it right when you recall the axe it will automatically find a way to hit any enemies even close to it's path back to you, so you can line up enemies for maximum effect!

Once you throw the axe use your fists sometimes too! They build the stun meter much faster and open up quick finishers (pair it with Atreus's arrows to build the meter super fast).

If you're having trouble with the big guys try to stun em and do a finisher: it ends with you throwing them and you can throw them off the cliff of that arena you're having trouble with.

If all else fails you can try to keep distance between you and enemies and pepper them with arrows and axe throws.

Also, even as a dev I had to lower the difficulty partway through and only turned it back up when I got comfortable with certain tactics, so definitely don't hesitate to toggle that if need be!

Good luck!
Cool. What are you guys working on now? đź‘€

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty much the hardest fight in the whole game though, other than maybe some of the optional end-game stuff.

After I finished the game, and all of NG+, I started a new save to see if the beginning was really as hard as I remembered, or if I just wasn't good yet... and yeah, it's brutal. You don't have a lot of tools to work with, and it's the only time that you're forced to fight enemies of equal or higher level (orange and purple health bars)

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Turn off the setting that recenters the camera behind you when attacking. The fact that it's on by default is baffling.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
God of War actually makes a kind of negative first impression because for some reason they lock a lot of your kit behind the game's leveling mechanics. Parts of your kit that feel essential to a smooth gameplay experience, like your projectile reflection (which funnily enough was included in promotional materials in areas where you can't possibly have unlocked it yet). The game feels smoother and more intuitive the further along you go, so just do your best to stick with it. It's truly spectacular and you won't regret it!

I earnestly hope that in the future they'll include essentials like that in Kratos' default arsenal, because the battle system is really kind of bleh until you unlock them. I don't have anything against progression systems and in fact enjoy them a lot, but not at the expense of unlocking integral portions of your kit long after you started needing them. God of War's progression feels at times like you're scratching your way back to square one rather than adding cool things onto a strong foundation.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Yellow indicator: blockable attack.
Red indicator: unblockable attack. (Can still be parried IIRC.)

Many skills have iframes on them so instead of using them to attack difficult monsters, you can use them defensively to be immune during their attack animations. Generally, it's a good idea to use the skills with short cooldowns as much as you can as they're super effective.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Square, Square, Triangle... oh the NEW God of War.

I'd advise doing any side quests you can early on, or just exploring as many areas you can.
Like others said the more you level up the more abilities you get and your current abilities get a lot better.

Once your kid's arrows get powered up to stun enemies and other effefts he becomes a lot more useful.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Cool. What are you guys working on now? đź‘€
200.webp

"God of War 2"

Oct 25, 2017
First off, OP, I consider myself good at games like this but it took many hours for me to feel fluent in this game. It may borrow many elements from other games, but it does require its own unique muscle memory.

Yellow attacks can be blocked but they will stagger you. You should parry or dodge those. Red attacks must be dodged. Early in the game, heavy draugrs are a real threat because they're hard to stagger. You need to watch out for their quick jab as well, it's very dangerous. Otherwise they should be easy to parry and dodge once you get more practice with them.

If you don't want to play this particular fight with a purely hit and run style, you can try to knock the light enemies off the cliff as soon as they spawn near it. Heavy attacks launch and then light attacks will push them out over the pit.

As for attack indicators for offscreen activity, I thought they worked very well. Pay attention to what Atreus yells during combat as well. His warning plus the indicator should be enough to react to effectively. The dodge roll should get you out of trouble even if you don't pick the perfect direction to go relative to the incoming attack. If the thing is flashing red, just dodge anywhere.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
OP, that point of the game is when the difficulty jumps, I watched people on the hardest difficulty play there for three hours. I would turn the difficulty down personally if it's too hard for you.

Also, Atreus isn't that useful at this point in the game, but later on he is a juggernaut.

Dec 17, 2017
GOW has a really odd difficulty - the first 3 or so hours I found I was constantly getting my ass handed to me and this was on recommended difficulty. Then you get your first couple upgrades and the game becomes virtually a cakewalk.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you are on Pro, use the high framerate mode. It's going to help a lot.

This a good point too, I'll try that, the frame rate in resolution mode is pretty abysmal, particularly for someone that games primarily on a higher end PC at the moment.

Abysmal? Sure, now it is the framerate's fault you suck. ;)
Digital Foundry attests the game's framerate is nowhere near abysmal in resolution mode. It is most of the time stable 30fps with perfect framepacing. It feels very smooth most of the time.
Performance mode is an unlocked 60fps, but it most of the time changes wildly between 45fps and 55fps, exhibiting framepacing issues on top of that. It feels very uneven and juddery.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The combat isn't all that well-designed in God of War. This is especially clear on the highest difficulty.