• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I have the PC version and didn't get far with it. Truly, that game was ahead of it's time in gameplay and visuals, and I remember when it came out on Xbox 360 and PC and wondered how it was so pretty at current gen graphics at the time!

That being said, I've imagined a switch version since launchz and I bet it would work amazing with motion controls and/or on the go. Who wouldn't want to parkour in a futuristic world and escaping bad guys at 720p in handheld mode? That and Catalyst (yeah, mediocore reviews) should be rereleased on current and next gen consoles imo. Next gen could even take advantage of ray tracing.

Likely won't happen on switch though. Always felt like EA and Nintendo just didn't have a grear relationship since Wii U, despite us getting some sports games ported on the switch every year.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
EA is busy printing money with sports games.

Would love to have a double pack with both games, though. Never finished Catalyst on PS4... Maybe I should go back and continue.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
3F0C0A607EB15C1B5776E8D97A123E8C7353D223

GrimmGrinn

Oct 28, 2017
Jakarta
Other EA games that could be brilliant on the switch. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space, Unravel.

Man, the Switch has so much potential yet.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm surprised the SSX trilogy isn't on Switch yet either but this is EA we're talking about here, they honestly couldn't give a shit about anything other than GAAS at the moment.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
That would require EA to target the Switch and also care about Mirror's Edge, and unfortunately, that does not appear to be part of their strategy at the moment. It is unfortunate.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Mirror's Edge in 4k on Xbox one x is glorious. And the gameplay is also great. I think at the time having jump on the left bumper might have just been a touch too far for most people to go. I know that sounds odd, but I think it really got in the way.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Mirror's edge deserved so much more love, them EA vaults are like life sentences for creative ips 😞

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't even bother with PS4/Xbox ports to help support the sequel. Why be surprised? EA has ported / remastered like 2 or 3 games the entire last gen.

Doesn't have anything to do with EA and Nintendo's relationship, it's just that EA is barely interested in its back catalog.

Satonaka

Oct 29, 2017
Madrid
I'll make a quick flow chart for EA's decision making:

Is it a one time payment? -> I sleep
Can I milk it over time through repeated payments? -> real shit

They honestly couldn't care less about Mirror's Edge or the Switch.

GrimmGrinn

Oct 28, 2017
Jakarta
They didn't even bother with PS4/Xbox ports to help support the sequel. Why be surprised? EA has ported / remastered like 2 or 3 games the entire last gen.

Doesn't have anything to do with EA and Nintendo's relationship, it's just that EA is barely interested in its back catalog.

Which is funny considering that they just port their sport title year after year.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
EA barely has a presense on Switch, from what I understand, & Mirror's Edge is a bit of a flop of a franchise, unfortunately.

So not too surprising.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Even if EA was more into the Switch I'm not sure why they would bother porting Mirror's Edge. The return would probably be.... small.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
You're surprised mirrors edge (niche EA game) isn't on Switch when more popular and mainstream games like mass effect or even dead space aren't even on the ps4/xbox?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of games that aren't on there. Don't really get why it's surprising that a 2008 game that underperformed isn't on Switch.

Dec 25, 2018
How well does ray tracing work with cel-shading?
Don't know about Real-Time Raytracing but a few raytracing renderers like Arnold (Commonly used in cg cinematics and trailers) support toon shading. How well it works depends on how the shader is interpreting the lighting information is matching the intended art direction (and how intensive the toon shading is on the render time).
image2017-11-27%2010%3A51%3A52.png

sophie-tutorial.jpg

calder-moore-factorycomped.jpg

toon-convent.jpg

If they wanted to remaster the Cutscenes for the 1st game in 3D while maintaining some of the 2d look, that would be one way to go about it (if there was the budget for it)
But yeah on topic, I would easily triple dip on Switch ports of Mirrors Edge and Catalyst.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
ME is one of my all time favorites, but EA does not do remasters or ports (Burnout Paradise was a fluke)

I would pay some money for this remaster on the Switch or PS5