• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I really thought MS would drop a series of trailers or gameplay footage close to the pre-order date of the Series X tomorrow, but they haven't. Is this a viable strategy? Microsoft are expecting people to buy the system based off just the potential it has?

They've had 2 major xbox shows now, and neither of them showed us any game actually running on the Series X. Is that not worrying? Especially this close to preorders, this close to launch? I'm not even asking to see anything that shows off the full power of the box, that potential is there, I just wanted to see games actually running on the console. Besides ports of games that already came out. How is it we haven't seen any third party titles running on it either? They have marketing for Ubisoft titles and Cyberpunk, and still can't show how those games look on Series X?

It's just really confusing and odd that for a console so close to release, with preorders starting tomorrow, we don't have a better look at more games running on it. The 2 showcases really faltered in this aspect.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You could say the same thing about the PS5. People just want the new box.

Edit: I scanned through both showcases just to verify I wasn't making things up and the only two demos that I saw that were hard confirmed running on Playstation 5 were Ratchet and Clank and Miles Morales. We can assume we've seen gameplay demos off of Playstation 5 hardware, and I don't doubt that some of them (especially Demon's Souls) are but we genuinely don't have a way of telling. I hold firm here on my initial post.

Edit 2: I stand corrected and I'm bad at reading. I'll leave old post up for enjoyments sake.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Unless you have a gun to your head, then no, you're not necessarily "supposed to".

If you're not into it right now, wait.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
You're not supposed to. You can if you choose. I am. Cause I'm aware that this'll be used for longer than the launch period. Plus I play 3rd party games too.

Mar 8, 2018
I mean, you don't need to pre-order anything? Waiting remains a viable option, and will be a viable option for years.

OP
OP
SuperBoss

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017

You can't though. We've seen plenty of games running on it, in both their PS5 showcases.

I guess I'm asking more of "Does Microsoft really expect people to pre-order" moreso than "Am I suppose to"

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I feel like the least they could do is just release a video of Titanfall running on it. It should be the standard for deciding to buy a Microsoft product going forward.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Digital Foundry saw Gears 5 running at the same level of performance as a 2080ti in March. Would be nice if Microsoft bothered to show us actually how powerful the console is.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Does anyone remember in 2013 when Ryse and Battlefield 4 were revealed to be running on PC at the Xbox events MS was having in various cities in the Summer of 2013? I do. The very same concerns were voiced about not seeing actual Xbox One footage. This isn't the problem some posters seem to believe it is.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Not only that but people are starting to find out that they have about 50% less stock than the PS5. There were some major hurdles developing/manufacturing this machine.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I held off on pre-ordering a new Xbox for this exact reason, where I specifically pre-ordered a PS5 for Demon's Souls. Halo Infinite was the only thing keeping me hanging on, then they delayed it.

I actually don't even know what the launch day line up of games is for the new Xbox.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's a box that will run games on it just like they do now. If it matters that much to you just don't preorder.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Supposed to? No. But your general point has been an issue for me all year. Game Pass is incredible. I'm tired of hearing about it. I know it's an amazing deal. Show me what the games look like. I think if you market your console as the most powerful console ever it raises some concern when you won't actually show games being played on it.

The one big new first-party game we've seen is Halo and not only was it rough, they never actually said what it's running on, did they?
Between both PS5 showcases we've seen all 4 first-party launch games running gameplay on PS5. This also applies to the one first-party launch window game we know about too.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, I think OP right, aside from Halo, Ori and Dirt 5 (I think), I can't find actual gameplay running on Series X.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
You... don't have to preorder it if you don't see anything that compels you to buy it yet.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
If you have any questions about anything related to either set of consoles, don't pre-order. There are plenty of games coming out on current gen, PC and Switch in the meantime.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird for sure. There must be a reason why they've only shown current-gen and last-gen running on next-gen.

Oct 28, 2017
You're not supposed to do anything.

Buy what you want or don't want.

You're buying Xbox Series X for probably the best graphical version of 3rd party games, Upgraded backwards compatibility, and the knowledge you're going to get a shit ton of 1st party dropped on you in the next 1-2 years, and Gamepass.

Or buy a PS5 and play the new Spider-Man and Demon's Souls, awesome looking 3rd party games, PS4 backwards compatibility, and the knowledge that Sony is going to drop those quality 1st party titles in the next 1-2 years.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
You can't though. We've seen plenty of games running on it, in both their PS5 showcases.

I guess I'm asking more of "Does Microsoft really expect people to pre-order" moreso than "Am I suppose to"

We don't know a thing about the PS5's OS. We haven't seen the effect that the PS5 can have on PS4 games. We haven't seen the controller used.

We're missing a ton of information on both consoles that we won't get until it's too late.