• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
Rush Hour 2, Shanghai Knights, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, and Ace Ventura When Nature Calls

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This is going back a bit, but Police Academy 3 is *way* better than 1 or 2.

All downhill from there though.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The first Angry Birds Movie has some funny moments, but the comedy of the sequel steamrolls it with plenty of laugh out loud moments. It's just on another level entirely.

Oct 27, 2017
This is going back a bit, but Police Academy 3 is *way* better than 1 or 2.

All downhill from there though.

I haven't watched those movies in years, but my ranking was basically that 1 and 2 were good fun, 3 and 4 were perfectly fine, 5 and 6 were bad, and 7 was a complete dumpster fire of a trainwreck so bad that everyone involved should be ashamed of it.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
the pink panther films, each sequel is superior to the first.

the steve martin films do NOT exist, neither does the son of pink panther film

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I haven't watched those movies in years, but my ranking was basically that 1 and 2 were good fun, 3 and 4 were perfectly fine, 5 and 6 were bad, and 7 was a complete dumpster fire of a trainwreck so bad that everyone involved should be ashamed of it.

1 low budget compared to the others, is a bit rough around the edges and some of the jokes don't age well (this doesn't say much tho, they're all kinda like this)

2 was way worse. This was the one that took them out of the academy and into "the city" for the movie. Callahan isn't in it, Art Metrano replaced GW Bailey, and Howard Hesselman replaced George Gaynes as Lassard's brother.

You could tell Hesselman hated being in every second of this and he's gone on record saying so.

3 took the only good changes about 2 (Tim kazurinsky and Bob goldthwait became regular cast and played really well off each other as roommates) and brought back Callahan and George Gaynes. Overall the film just works better.
2 is weirdly depressing for a police academy film.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's not exactly a sequel, but it is at the same time. Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End were built to be a trilogy.

They're unrelated movies produced by the same people that share a few themes and references. They're narratively unrelated and don't take place in the same universe.

Oct 27, 2017
1 low budget compared to the others, is a bit rough around the edges and some of the jokes don't age well (this doesn't say much tho, they're all kinda like this)

2 was way worse. This was the one that took them out of the academy and into "the city" for the movie. Callahan isn't in it, Art Metrano replaced GW Bailey, and Howard Hesselman replaced George Gaynes as Lassard's brother.

You could tell Hesselman hated being in every second of this and he's gone on record saying so.

3 took the only good changes about 2 (Tim kazurinsky and Bob goldthwait became regular cast and played really well off each other as roommates) and brought back Callahan and George Gaynes. Overall the film just works better.
2 is weirdly depressing for a police academy film.

I should watch those movies again. At least everyone agrees PA7 was a disaster.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I should watch those movies again. At least everyone agrees PA7 was a disaster.

Its a miracle those movies got 7 installments (and a syndicated cartoon!) off a premise that thin in the first place.

They made incredible amounts of money for what they cost to make though.

Police Academy 1 cost 4 million and made a completely insane $149 million off of it in 1984. Inflation adjusted that's $375 million, with no real overseas box office.

Police Academy 2 cost 7.5 million and made 115 million in 1985.

Police Academy 3 cost 12 million and made 107 million in 1986.

The wheels kind of fell off the franchise after that, but even 5 and 6 were still profitable. It was basically a license to print money that cost nothing through the 80s.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Hot fuzz? Not strictly a sequel. But wasn't it part of the "cornetto trilogy", Shaun of the dead -> Hot Fuzz -> The Worlds End

Its not a sequel at all. Part of the problem with sequels is that you need to take the same premise and redo it again with most of the same cast.

Usually this doesn't work well, especially when the first film was written to be self contained. This is why "bad sequel worse than the first" was the rule and not the exception for decades, James Cameron aside.

The Cornetto trilogy films all have nothing to do with each other outside of the leads being the same two actors in different roles, and having a couple of shared themes.

Oct 27, 2017
Its a miracle those movies got 7 installments (and a syndicated cartoon!) off a premise that thin in the first place.

They made incredible amounts of money for what they cost to make though.

Police Academy 1 cost 4 million and made a completely insane $149 million off of it in 1984. Inflation adjusted that's $375 million, with no real overseas box office.

Police Academy 2 cost 7.5 million and made 115 million in 1985.

Police Academy 3 cost 12 million and made 107 million in 1986.

The wheels kind of fell off the franchise after that, but even 5 and 6 were still profitable. It was basically a license to print money that cost nothing through the 80s.

It also got that 1997-1998 TV series that nobody except Wikipedia remembers. But yeah, those movies made a shitload of money back then.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Wayne's World 2 and Ace Ventura When Nature Calls are both comfortably superior to their predecessors, imo. You could make a good case for Jackass Number Two as well.

Rush Hour 2 isn't as funny as the first movie, and Chris Tucker got weirdly horny at some point during that flight from L.A. to Hong Kong, but it's still a worthy sequel. The less said about 3, the better.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna agree with everyone who said Wayne's World 2 and Bogus Journey. Excellent movies. Air guitar for everyone.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I know I'm gonna get a lot of shit for this...but Grown up's 2. It's a terrible movie but I absolutely love it..especially compared to the first one.

Jul 16, 2020
Croods 2 is good and much better than Croods. Same with angry Birds 2 (directed by the creator of Flapjack). But yeah, tougher in love action for some reason, but I agree with 22 Jump Street and Bogus Journey.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
Evil Dead 2 is a comedy. Army of Darkness is amazing.

Borat 2

The Jackass sequels are hilarious.

Pink Panther sequels are great. As was the second Austin Powers.

But yeah, it's hard.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Pink Panther (original with Peter Sellers) movies
Hot Shots Part Deux
22 Jump Street

in general sequels tend to be bad by default though, comedy or not