• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spotify used to let you view all your saved music by song, listing all songs you have saved from all albums in one long, holistic list. It was a feature I considered completely standard, essential, and unfuckwithable. Who would think it's a good idea to not let you view your entire library by song? Who would ever think to remove such a basic option?

Turns out: Spotify.

I frequently find myself thinking "What do I want to listen to? Hmm I'm feeling open, let's just shuffle all my songs." NOPE YOU CAN'T, SUCKER

Instead you have to go through and manually add all your saved music to your "Liked Songs" playlist. It works just like adding songs to any other playlist: you have to either add them one by one, or on desktop you also have the option of mass selecting songs. Note: you can't mass select albums. Your best option is to go through your entire library album by album, select all songs, and drag'em over to Liked Songs. I have at least a thousand albums saved, and I really don't want to go through that hassle. If I wanted a playlist of songs I like, I could already have made it. Now we're forced into it in lieu of viewing all our songs, an option which has been standard on all media players since media players became a thing.

Sincerely: the. fuck. are. they. thinking??? Am I missing something here or is my outrage righteous?

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've sorted my music that way since old iTunes days but the idea does make me nostalgic I suppose. I can't say I miss it though.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i wish spotify had a power user mode with an actual music player layout and the ability to sort things with custom tags. its complete shit if your a power user

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Agreed, wtf.

It must be some move to just force users to create even more playlists, which is a primarily engagement metric of theirs. It's bullshit

OP
OP
kittens

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wish spotify had a power user mode with an actual music player layout and the ability to sort things with custom tags. its complete shit if your a power user
What specific features would that include? I'd be curious to play around with something like that. My music interest has stepped up a few notches in recent years and I'd probably appreciate extra features.

Last edited:

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Wait I thought saving music was replaced with the liking option. Any song I save gets put into the Liked Songs playlist.

Maybe I am missing something. The update is horrible though. Don't know why they thought it was a good idea.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait I thought saving music was replaced with the liking option. Any song I save gets put into the Liked Songs playlist.

Maybe I am missing something. The update is horrible though. Don't know why they thought it was a good idea.
This was my understanding too, I have acontinually growing playlist as a result.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
What specific features would that include? I'd be curious to play around with something like that. My music interest and stepped up a few notches in recent years and I'd probably appreciate extra features.
being able to organize my library by genre, sorting artists into custom categories rather than just having one huge list, different shuffle modes, being able to block artists i dont like from ever showing on my account, being able to set replaygain how ever i like because the way spotify does it makes the music sound worse.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It wouldnt be Spotify if they didnt remove a seemingly basic feature

I have to fight against it when it gives me bad daily mixes i dont want, & ive noticed recently they removed the "Dont Play Artist" button so you have to manually remove each song. Its stupid.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I have ultimately just moved to the daily mixes and liking songs so in part my library of liked songs has grown exponentially since the daily mixes have been pretty good.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every single update Spotify releases manages to make the app shittier and tick me off more.

One more crap update from them, and I'm unsubscribing.

Apr 24, 2018
Off topic: Does anyone know if the free six months of Spotify from the Microsoft deal for new Gamepass users stacks onto existing trials/memberships? I've never used Spotify premium and have a free 3 month trial offer from Spotify itself...if I can get six more months on top of that from the Microsoft deal for a total of 9 months for just $1, I think I'll go for it, even though I don't own an Xbox console...

On topic: That's lame. I've always enjoyed having one giant playlist with all of my songs on it without any extra steps. I'm fairly selective of what I listen to, so all the songs in my library are ones that I greatly enjoy.

Nov 23, 2017
Why do you even bother with updates? I turn that stuff off, most apps don't even bother with notifying of updates unless I'm in the app store and it tells me there's one available. I have it just because of the student discount and the partnership with hulu. They could make it as miserable as possible and I'd still probably keep my account. The price is just too good.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I thought songs were automatically liked when I saved them to my albums library, but I looked just now and a couple albums I saved recently are unliked. I'm not sure how I got so many songs in my liked songs playlist in the first place. I must've manually liked them when the songs library was first removed, then forgot about it.

Anyway, I guess I just got used to not using the songs library anymore, because I don't miss it. I used to shuffle my whole library occasionally too, but I remember Spotify's shuffle was kind of shit, which led to me doing it less and less often.

It's kind of funny how Spotify's shit shuffle weened me off of the songs section of my library, which then led me to not miss it when Spotify removed it all together.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i usually listen to music by the album so i had not noticed that this feature was gone. i don't think I've ever done this "shuffle my whole library" thing.

I can definitely relate to being enraged at nonsense updates to websites and apps, though. That "bully you into making more playlists because metrics" idea sounds like something a media company would do.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Huh, I just have a bunch of playlists sorted by genre/mood I shuffle. Works fine.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
These streaming services aren't going to give us total control over how we manage and organize the music, and they will add/change/remove features as they please. That's one of the caveats of using them, I suppose.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, I don't know what saving songs is. I thought liking songs was the default way to group songs to a single growing list.

OP
OP
kittens

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The issue is that liking albums doesn't automatically add its songs to your liked songs. You have to add all the songs as a seperate action, and on mobile you can only do it be liking one song at a time (no mass select). If all new albums I added automatically had their songs added to Liked Songs I'd be considerbaly less annoyed.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Still nothing competes with owning your music in lossless organized in folders on your own computer. Play in Foobar2000, Winamp, and enjoy however you like.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Off topic: Does anyone know if the free six months of Spotify from the Microsoft deal for new Gamepass users stacks onto existing trials/memberships? I've never used Spotify premium and have a free 3 month trial offer from Spotify itself...if I can get six more months on top of that from the Microsoft deal for a total of 9 months for just $1, I think I'll go for it, even though I don't own an Xbox console...

On topic: That's lame. I've always enjoyed having one giant playlist with all of my songs on it without any extra steps. I'm fairly selective of what I listen to, so all the songs in my library are ones that I greatly enjoy.
My understanding is you can only get one free premium trial per account, and any subsequent trials you try to redeem will be denied. So use the longest trial you've got first, just to be safe.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I am pretty close to just cancelling Spotify and switching to Apple Music. All they need to do to get me is add a roku app so I can easily stream Apple Music in my living room and I'll likely do it. Spotify keeps nudging me too far in the direction of using their stupid algorithm playlists instead of having any sort of thoughtful features to manage music how I want. I am sure Apple Music has some caveats as well but I can't imagine it'd as bad.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more pissed at the lack of Artists section. I don't wanna follow them, I just wanna see the songs I liked from them.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still on a 128GB iPhone with iTunes, and I don't think I'd have it any other way. Just uncheck songs I no longer want and they never come up. I also enjoy the "Smart Playlist" feature which lets you generate playlists based on a number of things that can live-update as you expand (or shrink) your library.

Hitting shuffle on a number of different playlists (zero plays only, 5-star rated songs only) is an amazing thing.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is that liking albums doesn't automatically add its songs to your liked songs. You have to add all the songs as a seperate action, and on mobile you can only do it be liking one song at a time (no mass select). If all new albums I added automatically had their songs added to Liked Songs I'd be considerbaly less annoyed.
I find that on desktop, you can mass add. So if I'm home, I'll jump on my computer to do it. Annoying as shit.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Huge reason why I keep going back to spotify and then immedietely canceling it. I really love that feature as well, OP.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Choices are rarely a bad thing, but every song I have is in a playlist, so this change pleased me.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy Spotify, but it's lack and removal of features really blows. They suck sweaty butt at developing their application.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still confused how Liked Songs is different from Songs. All the songs I had saved carried over. I just assumed it was a simple renaming

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
? Not sure what you're talking about. If you just hit the heart then what you say is true, but hit the menu button and there's an option to like all songs. Then in playlists you have a "liked songs" option to listen to all liked songs.

kzGVtqe.jpg

vVUTtsI.jpg

OP
OP
kittens

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
? Not sure what you're talking about. If you just hit the heart then what you say is true, but hit the menu button and there's an option to like all songs. Then in playlists you have a "liked songs" option to listen to all liked songs.

kzGVtqe.jpg

vVUTtsI.jpg
whoa I had no idea, this helps a lot! it's still an unnecessary and annoying downgrade, but this makes it better

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
whoa I had no idea, this helps a lot! it's still an unnecessary and annoying downgrade, but this makes it better
Yeah the changes were stupid. It took me a long time before I even knew about the playlist of liked songs, which was annoying since I just constantly shuffle all my music. But Spotify is stupid.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I wish they would add the ability to mass delete playlists. I was using Spotify wrong and made a playlist for every album originally. Now I have thousands.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yup it's absolutely fucking stupid. Now you have to follow an artist to hear only their songs. Every year they make me want to unsubscribe more and more and I was one of the beta users at the very beginning of their U.S. launch.