• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game, but it's honestly too similar to Journey.

If you enjoyed Journey, you'll love it and you should definitely keep an eye out for a console/PC release.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Being on iOS kind of takes it out of the limelight, to be honest. Journey was a gorgeous visual experience for your tv, that still matters. Phone games are basically disposable entertainment, not high art, even if games like Monument Valley strive to get them there.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Being on iOS kind of takes it out of the limelight, to be honest. Journey was a gorgeous visual experience for your tv, that still matters. Phone games are basically disposable entertainment, not high art, even if games like Monument Valley strive to get them there.
I really don't get why Monument Valley got so much praise. It's a fun puzzle game, the artstyle is pretty cool and that's it.

Nov 14, 2017
I just checked the site. Is it really only on iOS? That's probably why I haven't heard of it.

Hopefully when it gets a wider release it'll get more attention. I really liked Journey.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest. I was watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look of Sky, and immediately thought "eh, looks and feels like Journey." Even Journey wasn't a game that I wanted to play.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watched the GB quicklook the other day. This looks just too much like Journey (but not as coherent and striking) plus the microtransaction bullshit completely put me off.

Hard pass for me (if/when it comes out on consoles or PC).

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Journey was a Sony exclusive and hyped accordingly. 7 years have passed so we've had 7 years of great indie games, whereas they were still quite rare back then, and it stood out at the time.

And any remaining credibility is wiped out by being an iOS release.

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
It's so weird. Maybe I thought thatgamecompany was big enough amongst Era-like circles that it would transcend the platform and lack of marketing, but, even people I know with iPhones haven't even touched it. Shit I consider myself a huge fan of this developer and I've barely even touched the game.

I suppose it's possible I simply have them on a higher pedestal than most do.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I think they done goofed launching it first on iOS.

I'm part of the problem though. Have installed but haven't even launched it yet. Not a fan of touch controls.

Hopefully it will get a second wind with console releases.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Tbh I didn't even know it came out. Now that I know it's an iOS exclusive I see why it wasn't on my radar though as I don't own any Apple products.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It's a smartphone game AND is esclusive to iOS for now, what's so shocking about?

I'll wait the PC version but I don't think I will go D1 anyway, the game just seem a sort of spiritual successor to Journey but all about multiplayer and stuff, with mtx too.

Oct 27, 2017
If it makes you feel better, nobody came even close to the success of Journey with their relaxing exploration/visual experience games. It is a lightning in the bottle genre, it is a one trick pony. Abzu deserved better.

+ the icon for the game isn't a hentai waifu or a screaming dude.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
No Sony advertising means I barely new it existed.

It's also on mobile which I really don't care for.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I think we're in a period where games with mechanical breadth and/or depth are back en vogue. Journey would be a big snooze too if it came out this year.
Oh really yeah because you apparently just know everything about the games industry and its way of life and hard cash. That's why some of the shittiest games still rake in cash.

Man, the hot takes in here are fucking hilarious.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Sky is seriously amazing. Watch the industry explode in praise when it's out elsewhere.
We've evolved past this. No returning back. I'm just gonna play Guilty Gear for the rest of my life because it rakes in so much money due to its mechanical depth. I follow only mechanical depth in games, sorry.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think when the pc/console ports you'll see more people playing and talking about it. era isn't really big on mobile games.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Oh really yeah because you apparently just know everything about the games industry and its way of life and hard cash. That's why some of the shittiest games still rake in cash.

Man, the hot takes in here are fucking hilarious.

I said "I think". Just a theory, man.

Journey isn't even good enough to be this agitated though. Pastel tourist game with a cute scarf. It's OK. Mostly boring and the kinda thing normies think of as high art though lol

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
AppAnnie is showing 1.5 million global downloads. That's really good assuming they don't have a huge UA budget.

Oct 29, 2017
So I didn't realize this was out until I saw this thread, also didn't realize it was iOS. I immediately installed it, and I love it. Not sure what everyone's deal is. Some of us have not played Journey.

I'll also add that this game looks beautiful on iOS, the cloud effects in particular are stunning.

The communication aspect of the game seems surprisingly deep, I sat on a bench and talked to a player from Hong Kong and then we learned how to give eachother hugs. Honestly, the game is really fun so far, and I say that as a jaded old man.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a mixture of Mobile + No Sony Marketing + It being so similar to Journey

I enjoyed the game and the ending is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally cool but all of those factors must have absolutely hurt it's mindshare

AppAnnie is showing 1.5 million global downloads. That's really good assuming they don't have a huge UA budget.

It surpassed 1 million global downloads from a PR i saw. Didn't know it was that good!

We evolved past these artsy fartsy games
And we're done here.

what a stupid hot take

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm more shocked at how people seemingly don't realize how awful it is to publish a game for Android. It's a fragmented nightmare, and there's a reason most games release on Android later than iOS.

It's a really well done game, and it's a shame that it likely won't give them a serious return on investment, but I think mobile platforms just aren't the place for this type of game (even though I personally enjoyed it). Hopefully it gets considerably more success and maybe a push with Apple Arcade later in the year.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
We've waited 7 years for a new game from TGC. Journey won it's fair share of GOTYs. It was nominated for a damn Grammy award. I feel like the follow up to that game should be a big ass deal.

But, now, almost a month after Sky's release, it has a whopping 12 reviews on Metacritic. Only one thread on here about it, the day it was basically stealth released which garnered a whole 4 pages of brief talk. The game didn't even get an OT.

Does anyone know if Sky is lighting up the charts on iOS? Are there mobile platform message boards that are raving about it? It just seems utterly wild to me that Sky finally released and it's just been crickets in my circles. Shit, I've only played it for about 5 minutes, and, Journey and Flower are both huge favorites of mine. What happened?
If it was a day 1 multiplatform release... I'm sure it would have made the headlines. Being Apple exclusive at launch didn't help... 😐😑

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's coming to consoles and PC soon. Maybe youlll hear more then.

I really liked what I played, but I think I'd rather have the big screen controller experience.
It was a bit too low res coming from my phone via airplay

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I played through it, or the "story" at least. It's extremely pretty and kinda cozy like their other games but I have no desire to keep playing let alone spend money on microtransactions.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know it was on iOS. Thread validated(kidding but I wish the new games title was in the thread title). Will give Sky a look too

OP
OP
DailyCalmSpirit
May 17, 2018
If it was a day 1 multiplatform release... I'm sure it would have made the headlines. Being Apple exclusive at launch didn't help... 😐😑

See that's wild to me. It's not like Apple is either some new company or a small competitor. There are certainly more iPhones out there now than there were PS3's when Journey came out, right?

Conversely, I guess the same question goes to Apple as in, how has their been so little marketing for this game?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I sort of half knew it was out but I don't have any iOS devices and wouldn't buy games for a phone or tablet anyway.

Simple as that for me and, I'm sure, a lot of others who would otherwise be interested.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I legit think it's been too long, if this came out like 2 years after journey then I think there would be a ton more hype. Also after years of hype talk from the Devs it just kinda looks like more journey except without stuff that made journey unique when it came out.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Journey is one of my all time favorite games and even I can't get myself excited for "Journey again but on phones."

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I mean, if you make your game iOS exclusive and finance it exclusively via microtransactions, you can't expect me or many others to care until you none of that.

Oct 29, 2017
I think to some extent we have passed the moment for this type of game to hit it big. Journey was unique and different when it hit. There have been lots of similar experiences since then.

Also the audience for this game just doesn't care about mobile. If Sky was a PS4 exclusive I think the reception would be very different.