• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How in the hell when the only choice for Kratos to save his son was to go back home and retrieve the Blades of Chaos? Weren't they lost to Ares at the end of GOW1? Shouldn't the blades be Blades of Exile instead? Or even Blades of Athena?

I'm seriously bugged out by this. Maybe one of you can help me out!

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
How in the hell when the only choice for Kratos to save his son was to go back home and retrieve the Blades of Chaos? Weren't they lost to Ares at the end of GOW1? Shouldn't the blades be Blades of Exile instead? Or even Blades of Athena?

When he killed Ares he got all of his weapons, including the Blades of Chaos. He vowed never to use them again but every time he tried to get rid of them they would always find their way back to him. This is all according to the God of War wiki tho, apparently that's explained in a book but I've never read a God of War book so I can't verify that.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When he killed Ares he got all of his weapons, including the Blades of Chaos. He vowed never to use them again but every time he tried to get rid of them they would always find their way back to him. This is all according to the God of War wiki tho, apparently that's explained in a book but I've never read a God of War book so I can't verify that.
It would make sense. Are the books comsidered canon? I haven't read them so would be nice if someone can tell us if they did

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
"There's nowhere you can hide, Spartan. Put as much distance between you and the truth as you want. It changes nothing. Pretend to be everything you are not. Teacher. Husband. Father. But there is one unavoidable truth you will never escape. You cannot change. You will always be a monster."
"I know. But I am your monster no longer."

I don't even have fond memories of the original trilogy and this entire moment was hype as fuck.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
From what I remember after Kratos impaled himself with the Blade of Olympus he realized that he wasn't going to die, and that the gods were keeping him alive to suffer for everything that he did. So he went and got the blades of chaos to figure out a way free himself. Which is why at the end of God of War 3 you see his body has disappeared from where he was bleeding out.

Eventually he tried to get rid of the BoC again but the gods essentially wouldn't allow it which lead to him sailing away to what eventually would be Norway!? I guess lol.

The Blades of Exile are the Blades of Athena reformed. He left those on the cliffs with everything else.

Last edited:

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017

They were always the same blades, they just had different names based on where Kratos was at in the story and what power was imbued in them (Chaos/Athena/Exile).

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
"There's nowhere you can hide, Spartan. Put as much distance between you and the truth as you want. It changes nothing. Pretend to be everything you are not. Teacher. Husband. Father. But there is one unavoidable truth you will never escape. You cannot change. You will always be a monster."

I don't even have fond memories of the original trilogy and this entire moment was hype as fuck.
Yeah, that boat ride is one of the best moments of the generation for me. The execution was exceptional.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were always the same blades, they just had different names based on where Kratos was at in the story and what power was imbued in them (Chaos/Athena/Exile).
The games are weird about this. It feels very much seperate but later on same. I guess there is no one real answer to what I'm asking. Unless something was said in a book that's considered canon.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
The games are weird about this. It feels very much seperate but later on same. I guess there is no one real answer to what I'm asking. Unless something was said in a book that's considered canon.
Definitely. I mean, this is my understanding anyway, I could be very wrong. I think the GoW novel did mention that no matter how much Kratos tried, the Blades always found their way back to him (I think he tried dumping them in the ocean once or something, according to the book), which is why he just decided to bring them with him to Midgar.

Again, I could be wrong, I'm not a 100% sure about any of this lol.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Yeah the game doesn't really dig into the sexism from the original trilogy but it absolutely owns the violence. Having a character have self-awareness of that makes the game work so much better as he sees his son go through a similar process.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite detail about the blades reveal is that it's wrapped in the skirt of Kratos's OG costume, so well done.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Yeah it gave me the goosebumps. So good. This game turned me from "meh" to "I love this" with the IP.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Pretty sure calling them blades of Chaos meant it just became a catch all term for the blades in general.

I've played through all of the God of War mainline games on release. I honestly didn't know/remember there were different names in the first three games.

I'm sure there is an explanation, like the book, but maybe they also just went with what they thought would be most familiar to most people.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its unlikely,If it was him there would probably be a huge battle going on with the two.
My guess is that time travel is involved (I think Cory imply that too) and that is actually Atreus from the future or something.
That could make sense since the serpent was shot back in time

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, that boat ride is one of the best moments of the generation for me. The execution was exceptional.

Agreed, an excellent piece of dialogue and acting. The whole boat ride and the tone was played perfectly, by far one of my favourite bits from this generation.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, an excellent piece of dialogue and acting. The whole boat ride and the tone was played perfectly, by far one of my favourite bits from this generation.
You should watch their documentary of the game. They had a shot where Christopher Judge cried during the blades wrapping on his forearms they never got to use. His reasoning was really emotional as well.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
by the end of the original trilogy, I stopped caring about the characters/story, but the reflective nature of those events in GoW18 kind of won me over.
Tbh without the prrvious games, some of the story beats would have never landed right. I'm glad it wasn't a full reboot