• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd seriously suggest Persistance. It's on the horror side but it feels quite good. Uses the regular DS4 tho. Though I'd say avoid if you're not into games with somewhat rogue-lite elements.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Glad to hear the beginning is the ugliest, because I was a bit thrown off by that when I first started the other day. Bleak Falls was better, and the game plays really well with stealth and a bow as melee is somehow even worse than the regular game.

I hear the PSVR controls are terrible, though, which is impressive because they're awkward at best even with touch controllers on PC.
I played with a bow and arrow and used the DS4 controller, instead of the move controller. turning your head and looking where you want to aim was an incredible feeling. I hit people on the run, beside me, from way off as they walked around, it was great.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Its like anything else. You dont like 3d game technology. You like 3d games. You don't love your ps4, youlove the games on it.

Vr is the same way. You can only margel at the technology itself for so long. In the end, its got to have games. I've got 5 or 6 i rrally really like on psvr. I don't consider astrobot the best one, but i know many people do.

So i think you are correct like not vr itself, but your favorite vr game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not shitting on people who love VR, but the new perspective VR brings is really not all that imo. The sense of "being there" isn't nearly realized enough to really add that much to a game. RE7 in VR is a perfect example. I hear people constantly fawning over how VR is the only way to play RE7 and I would respectfully disagree. Astro Bot is a fun enough game and admittedly the game works better than most because it plays to VR's strengths, but outside of a few moments I feel the game would be just fine without VR.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played with a bow and arrow and used the DS4 controller, instead of the move controller. turning your head and looking where you want to aim was an incredible feeling. I hit people on the run, beside me, from way off as they walked around, it was great.

Doesn't beat the feeling of walking one direction, looking in a different direction and shooting from the hip using your periphery. Or the chill long shot from the hip. Or picking up items throwing them into the air and using them as target practice as they fall. Or jumping over an enemy shooting down and carrying on your way whilst always looking forward.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah vr definitely takes a certain type of game to take advantage of it. Stay away from traditional games with 'vr' modes unless you're very forgiving of jankiness.

I'm not sure what's on psvr compared to PC vr but these are some vr games I would recommend that really take advantage of the platform: lone echo/echo arena, keep talkking and no one explodes, beat saber, super hot, Sprint vector.

There's a bunch more but those are the top of my head best ones.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I'm not shitting on people who love VR, but the new perspective VR brings is really not all that imo. The sense of "being there" isn't nearly realized enough to really add that much to a game. RE7 in VR is a perfect example. I hear people constantly fawning over how VR is the only way to play RE7 and I would respectfully disagree. Astro Bot is a fun enough game and admittedly the game works better than most because it plays to VR's strengths, but outside of a few moments I feel the game would be just fine without VR.
That probably just means you need beefier specs. A wider field of view, higher resolution, etc. Games made for VR naturally work best, and even those often don't use the hardware's full potential just yet, because developers are still learning.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I went from Astro Bot to Polybius (which is fucking awesome) to Beat Saber to Superhot and it's been an amazing ride, well worth the cost.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Try more games. Wipeout and Firewall: Zero Hour are highly recommended. I also love Skyrim in VR.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So months ago I took the plunge on a PSVR and was absolutely blown away by Astro Bot. I declared VR as the future without hesitation. I hadn't been that blown away by a game in a very long time. Jaw dropping from top to bottom.

Are you playing games that require moves yet? I found that VR was very lackluster until you add motion controls. There's non motion control standouts like Astro Bot/RE etc, but VR really shines once you have motion controls.

Beat Saber and Superhot are two you should look into if you haven't.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Are you playing games that require moves yet? I found that VR was very lackluster until you add motion controls. There's non motion control standouts like Astro Bot/RE etc, but VR really shines once you have motion controls.

Beat Saber and Superhot are two you should look into if you haven't.
No the Move controllers seem really expensive.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
That probably just means you need beefier specs. A wider field of view, higher resolution, etc. Games made for VR naturally work best, and even those often don't use the hardware's full potential just yet, because developers are still learning.
I've only tried PSVR so that may be true. I'm definitely interested in VR though and I hope Sony develops it further for PS5 because as it stands PSVR hardly impresses imo, but it's clear the potential is there.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I've only tried PSVR so that may be true. I'm definitely interested in VR though and I hope Sony develops it further for PS5 because as it stands PSVR hardly impresses imo, but it's clear the potential is there.

PSVR is basically the bottom of the barrel of what is acceptable for VR due to its poor tracking. If they just released a new tracking solution that moves away from the terrible PS Camera it would instantly become miles better. The screen and ergonomics are fine, but it falls apart unless you somehow luck into having the perfect optimal setup. That's why most PSVR games are pretty unambitious and lacking presence. Even a cheap 200 dollar WMR headset has better presence and tracking.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The holy PSVR trinity for me so far is Astro Bot, Rez Infinite and Superhot VR. Haven't had the balls to play RE7 and still have a crazy backlog of other VR games.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR is basically the bottom of the barrel of what is acceptable for VR due to its poor tracking. If they just released a new tracking solution that moves away from the terrible PS Camera it would instantly become miles better. The screen and ergonomics are fine, but it falls apart unless you somehow luck into having the perfect optimal setup. That's why most PSVR games are pretty unambitious and lacking presence. Even a cheap 200 dollar WMR headset has better presence and tracking.
I should give real VR a try if I can it seems! It's just that people seem to be over the moon when they try PSVR and I never even got close to being impressed, even when I tried it for the first time 3 years ago.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No the Move controllers seem really expensive.

Anyone who buys a PSVR needs to get Move controllers. It's pretty much required in a ton of games.

The holy PSVR trinity for me so far is Astro Bot, Rez Infinite and Superhot VR. Haven't had the balls to play RE7 and still have a crazy backlog of other VR games.

Yeah, those are fantastic games. Also love Tetris Effect in VR, hopefully it doesn't take too long for the PC version, gonna double dip.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
How on earth are there 70 posts with only two of them mentioning Tetris Effect

PLAY TETRIS EFFECT

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Wipeout
Thumper
Wayward Skies
Superhot
Eve
Battlefront
Rez

If you can then try these.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested in PSVR, but won't buy the Move controllers, don't buy the PSVR.

Without the Moves, you will be missing out on about 70% of the library, or at least very least 50% of the library.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
So months ago I took the plunge on a PSVR and was absolutely blown away by Astro Bot. I declared VR as the future without hesitation. I hadn't been that blown away by a game in a very long time. Jaw dropping from top to bottom.

But honestly it just feels like every PSVR game I've tried since just hasn't clicked at all. Moss was pretty solid I enjoyed that. I was super excited to finally play RE7 in VR since it's one of my favourite games of the past few years, and it was a colossal disappointment and felt infinitely worse to play in VR. Jarring cut animations and immersion killed dead by floating hands. PSVR Worlds mostly didn't click. The shark demo on it was kinda cool and the London Heist one was decent. Really there was little substance to these though and I just couldn't get that feeling of Astro Bot back.

Today I tried Doom VFR and oh man was I disappointed. I mean I basically expected Doom but in VR. I expected the rush and movement of Doom but to be in it. What I got was some weird movement system and gameplay that felt awkward without really being particularly immersed in anything.

Went back to Astro Bot and it's still amazing! It's not just the initial wow of VR. It's the game. It's doing things other games aren't doing and it's just so amazing. Other VR games just aren't giving me that and I'm starting to get down on it. When am I going to get that Astro Bot feeling again? Does it exist somewhere and I'm not looking in the right places? If so please point me to it.

Side thought: I think third person VR might be more my thing? Two best games I've played? Astro Bot and Moss. I loved the feeling of being a presence in those worlds watching my character and interacting with my character. It's that Tearaway feeling, you know? I want more VR games like that.

This is still early days for VR relatively speaking, but as we have all noticed with Astro Bot the bar was raised for everyone, it will just take some time for other developers to catch up. On regards to games that you might like, have you tried Beat Saber, Wipeout VR, Tetris Effect, Rez Infinite (Especially Area x), Superhot, Thumper , The Persistence, Firewall Zero Hour, Rec Room or Skyrim?

Gomography

Alt-account.
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Polybius, Superhot, Ace Combat are some of my favourite gaming experiences ever.

Haven't tried Astrobot yet but I really don't think you should dismiss VR without playing Superhot. Beat Sabre is quite good as well.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Like others have said, Sony severely hampered PSVR by using decade old controller and tracking technology...proper motion controls are one of the top 3 most important things that make VR VR.

PSVR2 will likely change that, and all those users that say "roomscale/360 degree tracking are pointless" will finally understand. Also, the Rift's analog sticks are the best form of locomotion right now, even if it gets some people sick. I can't imagine all games requiring teleportation or some "aim for movement" solution.

Dec 23, 2017
No, you like VR, it's just, you like VR done well. I can't speak for RE7, but I advise trying games like Wipeout (you already played Moss, which is great).

I agree with this.

Having played both PSVR and PCVR (Oculus Rift), it really comes down to the games. Some games are built from the ground up to take full advantage of VR, while some are either lazily ported or just ''VR-ified'' without taking into account what VR can really do.

I hope someday you get to try PCVR games OP.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Wipeout in VR is like the most next next next gen thing I've ever seen. And the whole game is VR including the mostly dead online. The complete package.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Nobody ever mentions Polybius in PSVR threads and it makes me sad. Just get it dude; it's like a RAVE in your FACE. It's also super chill too, despite coming at you at like a billion miles an hr.

I came here to suggest Polybius as well. It's why I bought my PSVR. It's also the only game I've been truly impressed with, though granted I haven't tried that many.

I have yet to try Astro Bot but I'm looking forward to it.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You probably actually do like VR. There just aren't many games that play to the platform's strengths.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I came here to suggest Polybius as well. It's why I bought my PSVR. It's also the only game I've been truly impressed with, though granted I haven't tried that many.

I have yet to try Astro Bot but I'm looking forward to it.

Same. Polybius is transcendent in VR. I adore it. One of my favourite games on PSVR.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of RE7 and Firewall PSVR just has ok games. The problem is that VR is better than regular gaming but the games we have in VR aren't that good. Hopefully next gen remedies this and more games have VR modes even if it's just a VR camera

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
really? I find VR is the way to play it. The aiming is tighter and the sense of immersion is way greater for a game that thrives on immersive quality. Never really seen this take

either way, the space has place to grow and spit out more games on par with astro bot

Agreed. Re7 is VR is above and beyond anything else even with the cutscenes.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
How on earth are there 70 posts with only two of them mentioning Tetris Effect

because Tetris Effect looks super crumby in VR and it gains nothing from VR mode...when clearing the field one looks at the field and not at the stuff happening above or at the bottom..i´ve bought PSVR for the game and frankly, on a 4K TV with HDR it looks so vibrant, the PSVR version just doesn´t come close to this clarity at all.

Tetris Effect is a better game on TV for me.

the really good games for PSVR? Astrobot, Rez, Thumper, Polybius, Beat Saber, Rush of Blood and that was it already in my book.
best game i´ve played so far was The Persistence, could have been longer but that one was super entertaining and worked really well.

RE7 is massively overrated in VR, the floating Rayman hands look terrible and the resolution drop makes this more gamey than real...i´ve played it again without VR and it was much better on a big TV than with the headset. it didn´t enhance anything for me at all in VR, i am not one to be scared and VR didn´t change that, it was very tiring to the eyes at best and could only be played in shorter sessions.

also super disappointing is the AIM controller, the games are frankly just awful, be it Farpoint, Firewall, Brookhaven or Arizona Sunshine...had severe buyers remorse and sold the controller immediately to make up the loss of money because of the games.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Arkham VR was the showcase title for PSVR, for me. With two Move controllers it felt truly like interacting with a virtual world that, albeit a short experience, is fully realised. Picking a postcard off of a table and turning you hand to see the back, and even simple actions like using a key to unlock something.

Playroom VR and Astro Bot have a complete commitment to keeping you in the experience that I think games like Resident Evil 7 lack. You are within the world, and you can do everything you want within the rules of the world - whereas RE7 functions more like a 'surround-sound 3D' version of interacting with a 2D world. That I think is the difference that made me like Arkham VR and Astro Bot so much - it isn't just about the world enveloping you, but it commits to you being within the world in a tactile way.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Good games are good games. Good games that take advantage of a platform are great games.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... VR is just not super interesting when you're holding a PS4 controller or even Move Controllers.

Having played Echo Arena by Ready At Dawn on the Oculus, there's just nothing on pancakes that comes close to being as immersive. It's basically a VR version of the disc game from Ender's Game. And it's VERY well done. Extremely good.

It's a VR "full-contact" zero-g 3v3 game of basketball, but with a disc.

Here's the NA vs EU Grand Finals from Season 1: https://youtu.be/xA0soDrsIkE?t=446

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a PSVR a couple weeks back and have been loving it. Currently playing through RE7 and it's pretty amazing. True there are things that will break the immersion but when it clicks, it clicks very well. Ace Combat is cool but you only get 4 missions. Wipeout is awesome and is a must for VR and racing fans.

Haven't tried Astrobot yet but I plan to soon. Maybe it's all still new to me but I haven't hit that same rut OP. Hope something else launches soon that catches your interest.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

Disagree hard. RE7 without VR is reduced to an average game relatively. RE7 VR is one of the most transcendent experiences in gaming.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
The next Astrobot should have a non VR version so more people buy it. It deserves the sales.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
While I do think first person VR games are the experiences that make it the most unique gaming experience that is unlike what I can experience in traditional gaming, I can get the appeal of a game giving you the same fluid presentation and control of a traditional game but with some of the "pop" of a stereoscopic 3D-realized space.

I think that was a lot of the appeal of 3D gaming on the 3DS, especially for 3rd person platformer-type games like OP seems to enjoy.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The next Astrobot should have a non VR version so more people buy it. It deserves the sales.

"Mario 64 should have been on the SNES more people would have bought it. "

That's what that sounds like. Taking away VR from it would be like taking away 3D from Mario 64, it's no longer the same game.