• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
So, I've always been more of a console guy than PC - I've dabbled in PCs over the years, sure, but my preferred platform has always been consoles. However, lately I feel like the appeal and advantages of consoles seem to have diminished somewhat.

See, the thing I liked most about consoles was their simplicity, the immediate plug and play convenience of them. PC configuration menus used to make me anxious, I'd worry that I wasn't running the game as optimally as I could be, whereas on consoles I figured the developer would take care of that sort of thing for me.

But now on consoles those kind of options are starting to creep back in - in many games on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X you can choose between resolution, framerate and, sometimes, graphical embellishments. As a 4K TV user I love the clean, jaggy-and-shimmer-free quality of a 4K image, but sometimes the higher framerate is more desirable, albeit at the cost of image quality.

I think the two recent experiences that have precipitated this crisis are Jedi Fallen Order and the release of Halo Reach for the Master Chief Collection. I really loved Jedi Fallen Order, and completed it 100%, but the performance was extremely lacking. In high resolution mode, the framerate generally hovered around 30fps, but the frame pacing was off, and made it rather unpleasant to play. I'd watch Twitch streams of people playing on PC at a solid 60fps, and, I won't lie, I envied them.

I'd like to say I had a good experience playing Reach, but I haven't finished redownloading the 110GB(!) of Master Chief Collection required to do so. My Xbox tells me I can start playing before the download is complete, but the game just gets to the title screen and hangs there. If I quit out of it, it makes my Xbox unstable. Master Chief Collection continues to be possibly the biggest shitshow of the generation - just a big, unwieldy, broken lump of a game. There are still Achievements that I earned back when it first came out that I haven't been awarded.

How I long for the PS2 days of buying a game from a shop, putting the disc in the drive and, within moments, I'd be playing. No patches to download, because the game HAD to be finished and optimised before it was pressed to disc. Yes, I know games are a multitude of times more complex now, but it still gets me down. My friends and I only have a very limited amount of time to play online together - we wanted to play a little Rainbow Six Siege the other evening, but nope, there was a 5GB update to download which made it out of the question.

I'm hoping that maybe these are just end of generation blues, and everything will be better when next gen starts.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I understand your point on PC games but having a toggle between performance and graphics is nowhere near the pages of options you can get on pc games - each with multiple levels to set

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Console gaming is still way easier and more stable without question. I agree that installs are a pain.

The closest you're gonna get for pop and play is a Switch.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
I get the installation thing, the amount of times I have gone to play a game on the xbox or PS4 and it needs an absurd update (especially since my PS4 seems to not want to auto download updates anymore)

BUT. It's considerably less expensive. Recently, consoles have been in the £300-£400 range. I doubt a pre-built PC of the same price would get you the same settings as either of the consoles.

It's also infinitely easier than gaming on PC. I suck with most technology, I have not shame in admitting that but I honestly think that 1/3 games I have played on the PC have straight up not worked properly with some tweaking of stuff, disable of other things, changing admin settings, downloading a driver because this exact thing I have doesn't work well with the game for some reason or I have to randomly reinstall it...immediately after installing it yadda yadda yadda. Never had anywhere near this level of bullshittery with console gaming.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There being a choice between performance or graphics mode, and that only on Pro and X, does not make console gaming as complicated/intricate as on PC with all its options and possibilities for error. Overall console gaming is still way more convenient. I'm also wondering if the options of the pro consoles won't disappear again on the next gen base consoles.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I built a PC a few years ago and was using it as my primary mode of gaming. Over a couple years I ended up not liking it. I bought some games that just wouldn't work and I had to trouble shoot for hours to figure it out. I bought the Dark Souls 3 DLC and the game kept crashing for me and I had to figure out what the hell was going on when I just wanted to play. I remember having to download a program just to use my DualShock controller which is just one extra step. If a game didn't run well I had to go through all the settings to adjust them. I can understand why people would enjoy all the tinkering, but with limited time I just wanted to play without all the hassle. Plus, it felt like new stuff was coming out all the time that was better than my PC, making it feel outdated much more quickly. Plus it's expensive. I don't even have my PC plugged in anymore.

Naveed

Oct 27, 2017
For me consoles have always been about:

-Convenience
-Comfort
-Exclusives
-Physical Media

I know you can have a comfortable PC setup but I don't have a living room PC and playing on a couch is so much nicer than sitting at a desk.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Choosing between "Performance" and "Graphics" isn't even comparable to the sheer amount of settings and options available on PC.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
You really have to wonder what on earth the updates will be like on next-gen service games. I spent three nights downloading ESO last week and they go and announce another expansion due early next year where I will have to re-download the whole game at 100gb + again.

Installs will still be tied to your internet bandwidth and download cap, but in all the next gen talk, I never see any news about solutions to this extremely obvious problem of increasingly massive game downloads.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Console gaming is still way easier and more stable without question. I agree that installs are a pain.

docked for better performance or undocked for portability? Oh no the options!

I always go graphics as performance this gen means unlocked but unstable frame rate. Will be interesting to see if VRR is a big benefit Next gen which might have me choosing performance more often

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
PC Gaming for me is nowhere near worth the hassle given the cost involved in getting a PC capable of consistently outpacing the Xbox One X.

That also ignores the numerous launchers, updates at 3 levels most of which a very frequent (OS, , GPU, Launcher and Game) and the random issues that crop up.

All of the above and u less you spend a mint, your PC will be out of date within a year.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Even with multiple tiers of power (like Pro/X), installing and launching a game is still easier on consoles. Devs are making the game to work on a handful of different variations of hardware, not many 1000s of variations when it comes to PC.
There's just a lot less that can go wrong.

Not putting down PC gaming, which offers superior experiences in almost every case, but my time for playing games gets more limited every year. I prefer to get things on the Xbox or PS4 and just play it.
That all said, I do really miss just putting the disc in a playing a game, at least the Switch still lets you do that in most cases. Playing Pokemon off the card kinda blew my mind a couple of weeks ago, I was still expecting some kind of install process..

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
For me consoles have always been about:

-Convenience
-Comfort
-Exclusives
-Physical Media

I know you can have a comfortable PC setup but I don't have a living room PC and playing on a couch is so much nicer than sitting at a desk.

And this is why I am a console gamer and not a PC gamer. People pay good money for the most convienient experience of entertainment.

The success of services like Netflix and Spotify is proof of convienience over the best option.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC Gaming for me is nowhere near worth the hassle given the cost involved in getting a PC capable of consistently outpacing the Xbox One X.

The Xbox One X uses a 2012 Jaguar CPU. It costs very little to buy parts that match consoles in raw performance. Some developers are not great with optimization, which is where the misunderstanding about cost comes from.

All of the above and u less you spend a mint, your PC will be out of date within a year.

This is just flat out false.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Exclusives are the last Bastion of consoles (unless you're an XBOX)

That, and how simple it is to set up compared to a PC.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
The convenience of a console still hasn't changed. Maybe a few layers has been added on top over the past two gens, but it is still, for the most part, plug and play.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
just a big, unwieldy, broken lump of a game

While the vast majority of the criticism afforded to the MCC has been entirely legitimate, this is a gross misrepresentation of how the game currently is. It's revival has been quite the achievement.

OT: There is an obvious place for consoles, lamenting the simlicity of the older consoles is fair enough, it is more involved with the likes of patches, DRM, game sharing etc. in modern gaming but it's still orders of magnitude simpler than running a high-end gaming rig.

I work with computers all day long and the last thing I want to do when I do get that all-too-rare relaxation time is mess about with the myriad settings on PC. I can cope with updates and deciding between performance and resolution modes.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Consoles will never be pointless because even if PC was as convenient at the end of the day most people aren't going to plug one into their living room TV when they can just spend 500 on a console that is much smaller and easier to use.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Cheaper
Exclusives
Easier to use

Those are the reasons. Without console gaming, gaming likely wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is today.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely understand where you are coming from in terms of patches. These patches (especially on Xbox One X) are huge. Pretty much everything else you mentioned though is more so about giving console users options and I don't see any problem with that.

I personally can't see myself ever going to PC gaming since I still enjoy the "press power, then pick up and play" convenience of consoles. I do a lot of work on PC too (whether tables/documents in day jobs or video editing for side work), and I would rather have my gaming/hobby time be away from a PC. Just the fact that consoles are different devices than a PC helps me to relax more when using consoles... I guess that's a bit strange.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Console games wouldn't be anywhere close to the amount of tinkering that you can (and sometimes have to) do on PC even if they had twice the amount of options they have lately.

That being said, even though I've been a die-hard PC gamer first and foremost for the past 25 years, I actually prefer console gaming recently. The comfort is incomparable for me and beats better fps and effects.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To everyone mentioning exclusives - PC currently has the best exclusive game of the year in Disco Elysium.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
It'll all change next-gen what with GPUs that probably beat most of the PCs in users homes, SSDs, etc.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I do a lot of work on PC too (whether tables/documents in day jobs or video editing for side work), and I would rather have my gaming/hobby time be away from a PC. It honestly helps me to relax after work which I guess is a bit strange.

And exactly this. After 12 hours of sitting at the PC for work, the last thing I want to do to relax is continue sitting at the PC.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I feel like I'm sufficiently "into" this hobby enough to the point where ease of use isn't a big enough of a deal to justify consoles. I mostly played on consoles this gen because I've been a console gamer my whole life and it felt like a mistake. I'm probably going PC/Switch next-gen.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, exclusives are still a thing and all.

But this is the first gen since Atari 2600 that I haven't owned a console.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
I don't get people that say PC gaming is expensive when consoles at launch is probably $500, then mid gen refresh another $500, then $60 a year to play online.

Aug 12, 2019
A $200-$400 machine that does what you would need a roughly $800-$1000 rig to play properly is always going to be more attractive on a consumer level. PCs are work to maintain and keep working in proper order, and little things can have huge impacts on the stability of your machine and thus your gameplay experiences. If you set up a solid PC, in 2 years playing a new release may require a huge hassle on your end to get it running properly or require further investment. A console may not have as good of an experience as top level PCs, but it will always continue to essentially be a plug and play type deal even with downloads. You won't have to go inside and tweak settings across the board or make adjustments to how use it. It will just work since it's been developed more specifically for a certain type of console.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

That also ignores the numerous launchers, updates at 3 levels most of which a very frequent (OS, , GPU, Launcher and Game) and the random issues that crop up.

Nice hyperbole in this post, you could have been a mid range PC like 3 years ago and it would still shit all over the base on consoles.

I could say the exact opposite where the console "convenience" is nowhere near enough to justify the worse performance, lack of mod support and completely gimped options/customisation.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Get a Switch. It runs games off the cart and it's great. The other consoles are for people who absolutely need those increasingly fewer exclusives and/or people who don't have the money to put down up front and/or are basically at the level of a boomer in terms of familiarity with and ability to deal with technology.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Consoles for me especially in multiplayer are about everyone getting an equal performance and thus not gaining a competitive advantage. They also have a set life span and you don't get the technical difficulties associated with prising the best performance out of a pc.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
It's hard to question the point of something existing that has sold 140-something million units. I get your points but they clearly aren't enough to matter to the majority.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
It's also infinitely easier than gaming on PC. I suck with most technology, I have not shame in admitting that but I honestly think that 1/3 games I have played on the PC have straight up not worked properly with some tweaking of stuff, disable of other things, changing admin settings, downloading a driver because this exact thing I have doesn't work well with the game for some reason or I have to randomly reinstall it...immediately after installing it yadda yadda yadda. Never had anywhere near this level of bullshittery with console gaming.
Either you have the worst luck in the world, or something must be seriously wrong with your PC if a third of your games don't work immediately upon installation.

I mean sure, sometimes i will tweak graphics options in order to get stuff to perform how i like, but i cant think of any instance where i had to do any of that shit in order to get games to just run.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Patches are a good thing. I don't miss the old console days.

Either you have the worst luck in the world, or something must be seriously wrong with your PC if a third of your games don't work immediately upon installation.

I mean sure, sometimes i will tweak graphics options in order to get stuff to perform how i like, but i cant think of any instance where i had to do any of that shit in order to get games to just run.

It is not an outrageous claim if you play a lot of lesser known or older PC games.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The appeal of buying one piece of hardware and having games made for it 6-7+ years later still work as developers intended is a huge draw.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Some people completely missed the OP's point. He wants consoles to go back to the patch/update free days where all you need to start playing is your disc and thats it. Still being less complicated than PC isn't the solution.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
And exactly this. After 12 hours of sitting at the PC for work, the last thing I want to do to relax is continue sitting at the PC.
I don't "sit at the PC". It's hooked up to the living room TV just like my consoles are, and wakes from standby straight in to Steam BPM via controller with no mouse or keyboard in sight. It's essentially a supercharged console. This idea of PC only being something you use sat at a computer desk is very 90s. A PC can be anything you want it to be, that's the beauty of an open customisable platform.

This is very true. Indeed Nintendo nailed it with the speed and simplicity of Switch. The next gen consoles should probably learn something from that.

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles are still way easier and streamlined experiences. Also you always know your game is running as intended. (Even if in some cases intended means subpar frame rate)

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Bought and pre-loaded RDR2 on my X1X, played it day of release and had a good time.

Bought and pre-loaded RDR2 on PC , release date rolls around and I couldn't play it for almost a week because my motherboard needed a bios update that wasn't available to me yet.

Consoles have a lot of benefits.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I can see where you are coming from but disagree

I have always been a console guy and bought a pc fir gaming earlier this year

It's fine but in the end there's always an extra step, another driver, more ran to huy

Don't get me wrong ; PC gaming is amazing and in most ways better than console.

But I still prefer to okay on console

Oct 28, 2019
The point of consoles have always been to be a easy to use computer for games. Nothing has changed on that front. If anything it could be said about PCs. If I don't care about niche options why buy a PC? The potential for a game not to work out of the box is too high for me on PC. The power of being able to tweak everything also presents the issues of things not working right. It's like cars, If a Sedan looks nice enough, gets me where I am going, at a speed I like, why do I need to buy a sports car? The answer is I don't. I can choose to but I do not and will not ever need it. Nor will anyone make anything for the general public with a sports car in mind first. Why do we have to be so dramatic about this stuff. If you care about messing with stuff and getting best performance get a PC, if you prefer ease of use and to get a console. If 60 fps is prioritized, or at least and option,in most games next gen like it was at the end of this gen, I see no reason to ever get a PC.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't "sit at the PC". It's hooked up to the living room TV just like my consoles are, and wakes from standby straight in to Steam BPM via controller with no mouse or keyboard in sight. It's essentially a supercharged console. This idea of PC only being something you use sat at a computer desk is very 90s. A PC can be anything you want it to be, that's the beauty of an open customisable platform.

I'm aware this is a possibility, but honestly, buying a console seemed like less hassle to me. My willingness to avoid setting up shit shouldn't be underestimated :p