• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with the axe recommendations. The axe is best used 2-handed, but it means you use the gun parry less, and that means missing out on one of the most fun features. I'd recommend the saw cleaver instead. Plus it's more iconically Bloodborne-like :)
I will not stand for any Axe-slander!!!!! nah good points :)

The joy for me was is in learning when to go from one handed to unleashing the axes true glorious 2H potential.

Oct 27, 2017
Know that you are playing the best game ever made. You will feel that it is, as well, as soon as it clicks. This will only be after the crushing frustration nearly makes you abandon playing it. But you will be glad you persevered.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
I love Bloodborne and it's my proudest platinum trophy.

That said, Resetera is obsessed with the game so, take the feedback from here with a grain of salt... the game is niche. The game might not "click" with you, and that's fine. I've tried to get people into the game and sadly it doesn't click as it did with me. I think my one and only recommendation is that the game wants you to think and take your time. Never fight more than 2 enemies at once and always retreat if you need to and never rush into the unknown. Try to prepare, take your time, and approach the battles on your terms. The game has also tons of horror influences, if you like horror, stick with it because it has some great moments. But again, if you prefer to feel omega powerful and destroy crowds of enemies, this game isn't for you.

The other criticism is the "grind" for healing items. I never had that issue. I think I found a route that yielded plenty of blood vials and just ran through there a couple times, but it wasn't bad and it didn't bother me. I think farming items or XP is such an essential gaming trope that it didn't feel weird or forced. But if you actively use tons of blood vials and never go out of your way to grab some, then sure, you'll run out at some point. The criticism comes, I think, from the comparison with Dark Souls, which refuels your healing items when you rest. But this game, as similar as it is to Dark Souls, it is also it's own thing and I think it's better for it. If you enjoy it, the healing items system in Demon's Souls is similar (herbs instead of vials).

Lastly, the game is both, one of the most beautiful games ever made and has horrible performance. I think on Pro it runs better and I think with Beast mode the frame pacing is near perfect. But you'll see the frame rate chug at times in base PS4. The faces of your character is very ugly, but you'll probably get a hat or mask early and never see your face again lol. The environments are very dense with detail looks amazing.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
If you hit a roadblock, like a tough boss you can't beat, go explore somewhere else. After the first hour or two, the world opens up and there are like 10 areas you can go do, if you can find them. Only one of them is required to progress, so if you're having trouble beating that one main story area, go do other stuff, get more powerful, get better at the game, and when you come back, it'll be much easier to progress. As with all Souls games, death does not mean failure. Death means "try something different".

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Top protip: you can run past enemies and unlock the shortcuts in each new area.

This has probably been mentioned before, but yeah. You're not obligated to fight everything you encounter.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Learn to parry.

I got frustrated at the start of the game, because often when I parried successfully and ran up to do a visceral attack, I would just do a normal attack instead.
The trick is to run up to the enemy, stop, and then immediately press R1. If you're moving, it won't work.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
you'll beat a couple of bosses and feel like a badass then get taken down by a swarm of trash enemies that are hard to run past

at least that's how it went down for me

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
REPAIR YOUR WEAPON.

I kept dying and didnt keep track of my weapon durability. It only costs blood echoes. Don't wait to do it or you will be even more agitated like i was.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The first area is probably the most frustrating as you are learning the game. Once you "get" it it gets easier but not easy. But you will feel so satisfied. There are 2 bosses you can fight at the beginning. Fight whichever you feel you have more chance of beating.

Also if you like fighting long range and poking enemies get the axe asap. It has good range and allows crowd control. You can play the whole game with it if you want.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
You're going to die a lot.
You're going to fuck up a lot
Resist the temptation to turtle
Resist your greed
Focus on feeling the timings
Pick one weapon that works for you. Build around it. (for beginners this is often a bigger slower weapon like Ludwig's)
When you need blood vials kill Big Boys
Eventually realize that dex is op due to scaling visceral damage.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
You are the monster that's feared in the night. You're not fighting enemies, you are hunting prey.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. You need to know nothing. Just let it wash over you.
A lot of people have said this. I'm not sure that's really a good option, particularly if it's his first Souls game. Realistically he's going to die a lot and some people won't stomach that. There are some tips that can really save him (that others have provided).

Keep us posted, guilhermessg . Let us know if you're struggling. It's a wonderful game, but it doesn't 'click' with everyone right away.

Nov 13, 2017
A lot of people have said this. I'm not sure that's really a good option, particularly if it's his first Souls game. Realistically he's going to die a lot and some people won't stomach that. There are some tips that can really save him (that others have provided).

Keep us posted, guilhermessg . Let us know if you're struggling. It's a wonderful game, but it doesn't 'click' with everyone right away.

I think if he knows it's a Souls game, he knows he's going to die a lot. That's part of the process.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the struggle of any Souls game in the beginning is adjusting yourself to the pacing. It's different than a lot of 3rd person games out there and is slower and more deliberate. Granted, Bloodborne is more aggressive than the Souls games but they still share a lot in common. Take it slow, remember that ANY enemy has the potential to kill you especially early on, do not let yourself get surrounded, and study your enemies.

Once the system clicks with you, you'll have a much easier time. Though it will still be challenging.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
GET THE DLC.

The less you know the better, go blind.

And you are going to die a lot to the first hunter boss. Don't give up there, you are about to enter greatness.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get obsessed with getting good at parries. It's really unnecessary to success. The dodge roll is enough to carry you to a plat.

But hey, parries are cool, so feel free if you have the patience to learn.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
The easiest buid possible is: get a weapon with a good range (my pick is the axe, when transformed it's very long and remains powerful), and put all your souls into strenght, stamina and vitality. That's how I played and the game remained chellenging and yet not frustrating! Regardless of how you play tho, it's the best game on the ps4 easily.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Probably the most valuable advice I could give anyone playing the Souls games is to try and fight enemies one at a time. If you're getting outnumbered, don't be afraid to run away and 'reset' the encounter. So long as you've killed everything in your path, the space behind you is always safe and you should use that to your advantage.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be judicious with your Blood Vial use. Sometimes when you're exploring it's better to just die than waste a ton of blood vials backpedaling, assuming you're confident you can get back to where you died.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Once upon a time I too started bloodborne, and in my most dire state, after being beaten to ground repeatedly, turned to the internet for help. I learned valuable lessons. like that knowledge was passed down to me, i shall now pass it on to you, OP.

There is one secret to mastering bloodborne, brace yourself as here is the secret...... git gud.....

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
Lots of great info in hear for you, OP. I'll drop a next to worthless one:

Madman Wallar is a straight up badass. I hope you get to hang out with him :)

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Couldn't disagree more. Bloodborne is fast and difficult but it's wildly more fun than DS1. I can't go back to the older souls games.

That's why i said it, my favorite souls game.

If someone plays Bloodborne first thus making DS1 a "no go" wouldn't you agree they'll lose the game that sparked it all?

I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy DS after playing Bloodborne and that's exactly why i think they should start with DS1.

Or demon souls if they brave enough lol

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
If you're not enjoying it, don't force yourself to keep playing just because people think it's the best PS4 game. I made that mistake and it just soured me on Souls games even further.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
People saying the less you know the better.

Does this have to do with story and lore, or is it just that it's more enjoyable to figure out the challenges in gameplay itself for yourself?

Last edited:

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If something looks deadly, and you think it might be deadly... it is deadly.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
... I really just read through four pages to find no one gave the most important advice for any FROM game. I am disappointed.

Kill the dogs first.
I think Bloodborne is the exception of this rule, dogs are far less annoying than maggots.

Anyway, the best thing to do when starting is just having fun and getting the basic down, no transformation, no fancy moves, no parry (I only parried the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst during my platinum run, definitely it's not something you would need), just get familiar with enemies' timings, dodge and your weapon.
The only thing you really need to learn as soon as possible is to dodge towards as was already suggested, it's not intuitive but learning to dodge and counter-attack is vital, it helps a lot in all situation.
When you have the basics down just try to find the weapon you're most comfortable with (1H sword are very beginner friendly for example, the Ludwig for a first timer is a very fine choice for a first run, very easy to use 1H, very rewarding in 2H mode), learn the moveset, the spacing and then polish the skills and learn new tricks (magic, parry, transformation attack, whatever you find fun to use).
Most of the normal encounters are decided by timing and spacing, most of the bosses can be easily beaten by learning the moveset and the dodge timings, if you remove all the bells and whistle souls games at the core are very simple (but punishing) games, don't be afraid to die or fail, success is always just around the corner.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
If you're not enjoying it, don't force yourself to keep playing just because people think it's the best PS4 game. I made that mistake and it just soured me on Souls games even further.
That's Sekiro for me. Just couldn't do it after 3 tries. Some bosses' timing just too tricky.

Back to BB-
Fuck the Shark Bros in the DLC. If you're super dedicated and use a certain dagger, fine. But otherwise refrain from consistently smashing your head against a brick wall.

So satisfying when you actually beat them though.

Garnered way more frustration than Orphan of Cos I'd say.

Best advice I'd give is soak up the bizarre, I loved the cosmic craziness when the game opened up.
Are those aliens? Now I'm fighting a giant Alien? I don't know how many hours I spent in Nightmare Frontier and the Lecture Builder just basking in the weird.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
OUcIOGH.jpg

iojp6yq.jpg

Frenzy is bad. Real bad.

Lots of great advice in this thread though so you should be in good hands.

Last edited:

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
As much as this is one of my favourite video games of all time, don't force yourself to play it if you ever get frustrated with it.

If you're committed to playing it, do remember that this game will test your patience, especially in the first few hours of the game. You may have a number weapons at your arsenal as you go on but since this is your first souls game, don't be afraid to just stick to one or 2 weapons during your playthrough.

Most important of all, play it at your own pace. It's okay to get some tips and tricks from us, but it would be best to keep your hopes and expectations in check. Try to go in blind and learn from your deaths.

If there is one tip I can give you, the items you collect for combat in the first few hours are useful. Feel free to use it and don't keep them for storage. Don't be afraid to lose them, you'll slowly realized how well placed those items are in the world for you to collect and loot from enemies.

And lastly, don't feel bad and regret on screwing up on a few things during your playthrough. It is your playthrough, not ours.

Take all of our tips and advices in this thread with a grain of salt. Hope you enjoy the game and have a good hunt! Good luck!

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
It may seem hard at first but after a while that first level will seem like nothing. Even if you start over at zero those same enemies will pose no threat. Onces you know how they act its actually not that hard. Ok, I mean it IS hard, but not impossible lol

driveninhifi

Jun 7, 2018
If you find it really hard I think it helps to approach it like this:

A lot of the early enemies (and bosses) can't hit you if you lock on and circle them constantly. Dodge towards enemies diagonally.

Don't pick the cane at first. The saw is really good even though it's a bit scary at first since you have to get close to everything.

Damage and health are most important as you get used to the game.
Pick a weapon and upgrade it as far as you can. Don't spread the upgrade materials out until you've maxed out a weapon for that point in the game (ie, going to +3 takes a different type of material than +6)
Weapon upgrades increase damage more than stats for basically the entire game, so don't be afraid to put points into health.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I said some other stuff before but I'll add this.
It can be easy to become frustrated but I have found it easier to focus on learning than winning when I'm having trouble. Going into a fight knowing that I'm going to die but looking to learn more tells, timings, positioning, and strategy to effectively interact with the attacks and mechanics that the fight presents.

Oh and dodge into and through attacks. You can use the generous iframes to evade most attacks but if you dodge 'away from' or 'out of' attacks you can wind up still in the hitbox when your iframes end.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
The place where you fight first boss is where you can get back to farm blood vials later if needed

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
My only suggestions are:
1-If you dont feel comfortable with a weapon, try to change it. It makes A LOT of difference. Try all the weapons you can, and find the best for you. There is not a better weapon than the one that fits more how you play and feel. Really. I have friends that couldnt go past the first hour of the game, then changed weapon and finished the game with fun.
2-Attack attack attack. Defense is not a great option in Bloodborne. You have to learn how to dodge (and maybe parry but its not really necessary), but running away is often a bad choice that only leads to death.
3-Death is part of the gameplay so accept it, try to explore sometimes just to understand the enemies and environment. If you lose dont be angry, you will always get back much more than what you have lost in the end... its never really a big matter.

Jun 17, 2018
Stick at it and if your original strategy doesn't work, switch it up. Play offensively but don't forget to stand back and watch the attack patterns. You're going to fail and die lots, but when you succeed you will be highfiving the cat!

Red or Alive

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get greedy. One more hit could be your death.

Also not sure if this is a bloodborne or darksouls tip maybe others can confirm, try dodging into or through the monsters rather than dodge backwards. Lots of monsters can deceptively reach you.

This is a super-important tip to keep in mind, even for Souls veterans. With Bloodborne, combat's a lot more aggressive, so finding a balance between attacking and retreating is even more difficult than the other From games.

However, if the boss is only 1 or 2 hits away from death, I have always found that rushing in guarantees your own death. Sounds obvious but the tension will always make it tempting to try and just finish the boss off quickly, especially if you've taken a lot of time to reach it.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Just started this yesterday. My first souls-type game. Might as well not make a thread, this about covers my exact thoughts. Everyone keeps talking about it as being one of the best this gen so I said why not. It's hard to say the least.

I keep dying at this giant guy near the beginning who has an axe and wears a leather mask over his face. Can I skip him? And what's the point point of the sawblade NOT being extended? Is there a disadvantage to having it extended out because I don't see why you wouldn't always want to have that extra distance when attacking.

Quick question on stats. I haven't leveled up yet but what's the top two or three stats you should focus on, at least in the beginning? And should I be "buying" blood vials or just getting them through playing?

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Just started this yesterday. My first souls-type game. Might as well not make a thread, this about covers my exact thoughts. Everyone keeps talking about it as being one of the best this gen so I said why not. It's hard to say the least.

I keep dying at this giant guy near the beginning who has an axe and wears a leather mask over his face. Can I skip him? And what's the point point of the sawblade NOT being extended? Is there a disadvantage to having it extended out because I don't see why you wouldn't always want to have that extra distance when attacking.

Quick question on stats. I haven't leveled up yet but what's the top two or three stats you should focus on, at least in the beginning? And should I be "buying" blood vials or just getting them through playing?
I think you refer to the big guy with the axe next to the gate in the beginning of the game? You can skip him and any enemy that isn't a main story boss iirc. It's a good enemy to try to learn how to parry though.

I don't know which weapon you're using, but I would recommend a strenght build on your first playthrough since the strenght weapons are the easiest to use. You should focus on stamina, strenght and vitality.

Edit: you're using the Saw Cleaver so you should focus on both strenght and skill in order to use it effectively. It scales better with strenght.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
The only advice I can give is don't read this thread. Stop reading right now in the middle of this sentence. Just go play the game.