• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020
so Bloodborne was free today for PS+, i managed to get it and just finished the download.

it'll be my first Souls (or Souls-like) game, and i've always heard that it was so difficult, also you can't pause it, people could invade your game (?), but i don't think i know much more lmao

if any of you got any tips or somethin, i'd appreciate it
bloodborne plays differently from souls so starting with it is probably better

do NOT try to make a "jack of all trades"character, at the beginning you get to choose between 3 weapons, one for DEX, one for STR and a balanced one. decide what kind of build you want to play and go with that.
weapons have a stats prerequisite to be equipped otherwise you won't be able to use them correctly
stats can influence your damage output but it's more important to upgrade your weapon with blood and apply gems (you'll find them later in the game)
do not go overboard with your main attack stat (as upgrading your weapon is more important), push up HP and stamina first

Last edited:

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Memorize how many moves you can do with your current stamina, and be as agressive as you can with them mixing up attacks and dodges.

When picking, the pistol shoots faster, but that's not necessarily better for parries, since sometimes the delay in shooting of the blunderbuss can actually making parrying easier depending on the bosses patterns.
Look up from the start what bosses can be parried with guns, it's a HUGE waste of time to try parrying a boss only to find out you can't. For those bosses, you'll usually want to find out instead what limbs you can damage that will leave them vulnerable and open to visceral attacks.

Use viscerals ALL THE TIME. If you build to like the hunter axe or similar weapons this won't be as true, but otherwise your main and best and most fun and most satisfying source of big damage will be visceral attacks.

locked-on dodges are your strongest tool. For some enemies you might need to release lock-in, but you can actually do a LOT more locked on in this game than in other souls games, and you can dodge a lot more than in other souls games as well, your stamina is a lot more forgiving than it seems. Dodge and attack ALL THE TIME. If you're not dodging you should be attacking or repositioning to attack.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Think of death as something positive. Don't let it anger or frustrate you. Learn from it.

I know it sounds like a shitty tip but it really is the best piece of advice I can give you. I was gonna type out a huge list of things to keep in mind but just go into the game with an open mind and learn from your mistakes.

When I first started playing it I hated that i was dying all the time. I think a lot of people are conditioned to play games where they hold your hand and death is seen as a failure. It's not. WHEN you die (because you WILL...a lot) ask yourself what YOU did wrong...

and Ostinatto just commented this which basically sums up everything I'm trying to say lol

Every time you die, is your fault, not game's fault..

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The axe is the easiest of the three starting weapons offered. You can use it for the while game too, somewhat unlike other souls games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The axe is the easiest of the three starting weapons offered. You can use it for the while game too, somewhat unlike other souls games.

I want to elaborate on this. Unlike other Souls games and other RPGs, every weapon in this game is permanently viable as long as you build your character around them.

Oct 25, 2017
The best advice I can give is:
It's completely OK to cheese bosses and enemies if you can figure out a method to.

I love fighting enemies who are stuck in doorways, dancing around gravestones so they can't hit me, hitting them through walls with Ludwig's sword and throwing knives at them when they refuse to go down a flight of steps to fight me. Perfectly legal. No shame.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The only one I have played really is Sekiro (I have seen BB and Dark Souls at a friends house). I think it may be worth waiting to see what happens with this game on PS5. I plan to play Demons Souls for the first time ever soon on it and then try Bloodborne after. Maybe it will be enhanced with the boost mode or they reveal a remaster?

Xenman

Oct 27, 2017
You will hit a wall, you will come to believe this wall is insurmountable, you will want to quit. Don't quit, keep trying, you will get over that wall and when you do it is the greatest rush in gaming you will ever feel.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
The best advice I can give is:
It's completely OK to cheese bosses and enemies if you can figure out a method to.

I love fighting enemies who are stuck in doorways, dancing around gravestones so they can't hit me, hitting them through walls with Ludwig's sword and throwing knives at them when they refuse to go down a flight of steps to fight me. Perfectly legal. No shame.
I disagree.
Forcing yourself to do it the "right" way provides for much more memorable fights and actually helps you get better at the game giving you much more long-term enjoyment. Providing you can deal with initially dying a lot of course.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
so Bloodborne was free today for PS+, i managed to get it and just finished the download.

it'll be my first Souls (or Souls-like) game, and i've always heard that it was so difficult, also you can't pause it, people could invade your game (?), but i don't think i know much more lmao

if any of you got any tips or somethin, i'd appreciate it

use the axe. Learn distance. Don't lookup anything about the lore.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
My opinion would be that don't start with Bloodborne bc it has limited variety compared to others Souls games.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Oh, majestic! A new hunter!

Learn your parry timing. The fat guys with bricks in Central Yharnam are a great way to practice. Always spend all extra blood echoes on vials.

And remember: the sky and the cosmos are one.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP, I'm exactly in the same situation as you. I started the game as my first Souls game and let me tell you, you will not understand wtf is going on early on. You'll die almost instantly, not be handheld at all in what to do next and leave you wondering if you're playing properly. The answer is YES.

It's a very very hard game to dive into completely new to the series but it starts getting more and more rewarding as you pick up on how it works. If you stick with it you'll have fun all while getting your ass kicked. Read into what items do. Don't be afraid to check online for help in certain situations either. A lot of people say the less you know, the better but you can really benefit from knowing certain things (like how to get in-mission help from others for example).

It really is fun yet tough as nails. Slowly working it's way up my GOTG.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
spend a few deaths just watching the boss and learning it's moves and your openings. Don't use consumables during these practice rounds. Only when you can take the boss down to half confidently then go all out.

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
That many of us are either jealous you get to experience it for the first time or that you get to play it at all (still on my to do when I can finally get a ps4😭).

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really thinking hard of getting this game. I don't think I ever got past the first boss. I just want lots of lore that isn't explained per se. I absolutely love the atmosphere and vibes of the game.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'd definitely start with dark souls 1, or souls 2. for slower combat

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
A few key things I learned (I have yet to finish the title):

• You may be shooketh by the spooketh.
  • The first area is comparatively most punishing owing to the player being new. The difficulty mostly evens out from there.
  • Know that you do NOT have to fight all the enemies every time you die and sent back to the earlier Lamp. You can run past them (esp. crucial in certain segments of the first area if you want to avoid frustration)
  • Look around for items and esp. shortcuts. The level design generally does a great job giving you a sense of what is inaccessible from where you are starting so that you may pursue said shortcut.
  • Blood vial farming... I got hooked to it and so can you once you start to over level for an area. It is can be a colossal waste of time to horde that beyond having a couple of dozen in your stow away box.
  • Dodge, dodge, dodge esp. with lock on as you thin out a herd. It is faster than the regular dodge. Dodge is an important skill if you are having trouble with parrying. Parrying is very satisfying when you get it right and is often the way to go to efficiently defeating mini bosses and some bosses.
  • There is a response time difference between the starter projectile weapons, Pistol and Blunderbuss. The latter has a greater spread but a slower response time. If you want to parry with it then you have to compensate accordingly.
  • There are secrets that are esoteric to the point of you missing out on them without a guide (items, quests and locations). Specifically I have found two areas which would not have been accessible to me otherwise.
  • Visit the Chalice dungeons for more obscure and powerful gems and Runes for your weapons.
  • Insight is Good but too much Insight incurs greater combat challenge
  • You will die, a lot, A LOT. You will lose souls as a consequence. If you are a hoarder by nature then this game may drive you mad. You must learn to let go and progress with what you have.

There is almost nothing more thrilling than when you eventually faces other Hunters.

*installs bloodborne for the ????????? time*

watching that made me want to go back.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
hunter_axe.jpg

Hunters Axe is life!
First play through this was my main. Me and old Axey had some good times.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Use the axe. It was the only weapon I used throughout the main game with only one exception for a certain boss. Keep it upgraded.

Don't be afraid to look stuff up if you're stuck.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't agree with the axe recommendations. The axe is best used 2-handed, but it means you use the gun parry less, and that means missing out on one of the most fun features. I'd recommend the saw cleaver instead. Plus it's more iconically Bloodborne-like :)

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
As a "souls veteran" i thought it was in another level of difficulty when i first played so you're gonna have a challenge ahead of you.

Brilliant game, my favorite souls game by a thousand miles, but hard as hell.

I'd start at Dark Souls 1.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buy vials and bullets with excess blood echoes and you can check how many are in your storage in the shop.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
Don't harvest blood vials--try to use recovery (attacking immediately after losing health). The game tries to push you to be aggressive but if you immediately retreat after getting hit you'll have to heal a lot and it will be tedious.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
- Less you know, the better it'll be.
- Don't be afraid to run.
- Don't be afraid to take risks.
- Don't be afraid.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I'm with OP in just starting this game. Basically can only get just beyond the first really big crowd of enemies and hard to get past without getting completely mobbed. Seems like just a matter of patience in the early going.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that the game doesn't explain and you'll need to understand is that dodges have some invulnerability time in them and you can, and are expected, to dodge through attacks using those invulnerability windows.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with OP in just starting this game. Basically can only get just beyond the first really big crowd of enemies and hard to get past without getting completely mobbed. Seems like just a matter of patience in the early going.

If you're talking about that street in Central Yharnam where there's over a dozen enemies burning a beast corpse, seriously just run past them. At this stage in the game it's not worth fighting them.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
As a "souls veteran" i thought it was in another level of difficulty when i first played so you're gonna have a challenge ahead of you.

100% agree. I'd start with ds1. Bloodborne is pretty brutal, especially in the beginning

Whereas I feel like DS 1, Capra demon would be the most difficult part, then it's pretty smooth, until O&S

Nov 1, 2017
If you get stuck at the beginning, here's some advice that might help (while the content below does NOT contain spoilers, I personally prefer to play these games without any tips, thus spoilers tag):

- Personally, I don't bother fighting any enemies until I've gained at least 1 Insight (check the top right of the screen, under your Blood Echoes). You can acquire Insight by by using a Mad Man's Knowledge item or by starting a new Boss encounter (you won't lose any insight upon death). You are otherwise unable to level up your character in the Hunter's Dream until you do so.
- The Axe's alternative form (press L1) is arguably the most beginner-friendly weapon. In particular, I love using Charged R2 attacks against mobs: Enemies tend to struggle to stagger my character in the process and the Rally mechanic instantly restores any health lost from the blow. If you picked a different weapon, you will have another opportunity to purchase the starting weapons later. With all of that being said...
- Don't forget to parry with your secondary weapon! Yes, the timing can be difficult, and sometimes your axe will be more effective by itself. However, it's great for handling aggressive enemies, which can otherwise be incredibly difficult to take down. In my first playthrough, bad parrying habits is probably what caused me the most grief with certain encounters.

I hope this helps! It took be a week of persistently playing before I was able to finally make any progress... but boy was it worth it! Good luck to the long night ahead of you my fellow hunter. ;)

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Couldn't disagree more. Bloodborne is fast and difficult but it's wildly more fun than DS1. I can't go back to the older souls games.