• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Can I suggest using this wiki instead? :P

Bloodborne Wiki

Bloodborne Small Dedicated Community Wiki

It's in my opinion by far the best wiki for Bloodborne, it's so well made and updated with information you still won't find in other wikis to this day, 5 years after the game came out.

It's run by Meppu, she's a reddit mod for the Bloodborne and Demon's Souls subreddits, as well as most (all?) of the Souls wikidots. She does amazaing work, and more people should check it out.

God, I need to replay it again, too, hahaha.
Oh wow, did not know about this.

If we ever get that PS5 remaster I know what to consult if I get stuck again.

Aug 12, 2019
One thing would be to not always spam R1 or R2. You can transform your weapon mid-combo so you can do variations of R1-L1-L1-R1 etc.

You can do really good damage that way.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
A few key things I learned (I have yet to finish the title):

• You may be shooketh by the spooketh.
  • The first area is comparatively most punishing owing to the player being new. The difficulty mostly evens out from there.
  • Know that you do NOT have to fight all the enemies every time you die and sent back to the earlier Lamp. You can run past them (esp. crucial in certain segments of the first area if you want to avoid frustration)
  • Look around for items and esp. shortcuts. The level design generally does a great job giving you a sense of what is inaccessible from where you are starting so that you may pursue said shortcut.
  • Blood vial farming... I got hooked to it and so can you once you start to over level for an area. It is can be a colossal waste of time to horde that beyond having a couple of dozen in your stow away box.
  • Dodge, dodge, dodge esp. with lock on as you thin out a herd. It is faster than the regular dodge. Dodge is an important skill if you are having trouble with parrying. Parrying is very satisfying when you get it right and is often the way to go to efficiently defeating mini bosses and some bosses.
  • There is a response time difference between the starter projectile weapons, Pistol and Blunderbuss. The latter has a greater spread but a slower response time. If you want to parry with it then you have to compensate accordingly.
  • There are secrets that are esoteric to the point of you missing out on them without a guide (items, quests and locations). Specifically I have found two areas which would not have been accessible to me otherwise.
  • Visit the Chalice dungeons for more obscure and powerful gems and Runes for your weapons.
  • Insight is Good but too much Insight incurs greater combat challenge
  • You will die, a lot, A LOT. You will lose souls as a consequence. If you are a hoarder by nature then this game may drive you mad. You must learn to let go and progress with what you have.

There is almost nothing more thrilling than when you eventually faces other Hunters.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
-be patient
-be tenacious
-I promise that at some point, it will "click" for you.

Enjoy one of the greatest games of all time.

w00zey

Nov 23, 2018
Bloodborne was my first also (went on to beat 1-3 after) and the best advice I can give you is to be patient. work your way to the bonfire and back over and over just practicing and learning how to use the iframes. I felt like that set me up for success the rest of the game. First game in years I beat 3x in a row without even breaking.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Just a tiny starting hint:
The first boss does not look human. Look elsewhere first.

Also, pick the Axe. Best weapon in the game tbh.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Kill the dogs first.

Wait, wrong game.

Seriously though, best advice I personally can give is to not treat dying as "failing" or something to avoid at all costs. Having all the enemies respawn and potentially losing your Blood Echoes (the game's currency which it uses for almost everything) can be rough. But even the largest amount of Blood Echoes can be farmed and the more you fight enemies, the better you get at killing them and the less you die to them. Dying isn't failing, it's a learning experience.

Also the first area is notoriously hard. Everyone struggles there, but it really gets easier later on. For that matter, don't hesitate to run past enemies if you don't want to fight them.

Lastly, prioritize upgrading your weapon. If you have the mats and you like the weapon, upgrade. It's where most of your damage will come from; not from your attributes. In the beginning it's not a bad idea to raise your Strength/Skill/etc. as high as needed for your preferred weapon and then dump your level-ups into health and stamina. When they're at an acceptible level, you can go back to raising the other stats.

andrewxmac

Mar 11, 2020
1) The first time you lose a large Blood Echoes bank really sucks. Don't worry about it, and move on.
2) Cathedral Ward can be punishing when first starting out.
3) Fear Frenzy. Think Poison, but waaaay worse.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Can I suggest using this wiki instead? :P

Bloodborne Wiki

Bloodborne Small Dedicated Community Wiki

It's in my opinion by far the best wiki for Bloodborne, it's so well made and updated with information you still won't find in other wikis to this day, 5 years after the game came out.

It's run by Meppu, she's a reddit mod for the Bloodborne and Demon's Souls subreddits, as well as most (all?) of the Souls wikidots. She does amazing work, and more people should check it out.

God, I need to replay it again, too, hahaha.
Oh damn, that seems like a good site.

Soulsborne games never click on the first try. You will die a lot, but keep patient and continue playing. The first area of the game is designed to get you used to the mechanics of the game. By the time you reach the second area, you'll be ready for what the game will throw at you.

Oh and there are attack combos in this game too.

Less said about the game's surprises, the better.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
1) Don't be afraid of dying, this is the only way to learn.
2) Learn when to parry with your gun, it's a game-changer.
3) Costumes don't really affect attributes in Bloodborne
4) The chalice dungeons give the best rewards, especially the hard ones

I envy you, I wish I could relive the experience. It's my favourite PS4 game.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Souls games in general is not about combo, so don't try to hit too much. Give like 1 or 2 punches and then go back, look at the enemy pattern, learn his moveset.

And patience, you'll need that too.

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
Bloodborne was mine as well. I found it weird and frustrating at first because it's so vague. But once it clicks it's amazing. Just soak in the vibes until the combat clicks

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Be patient. Take your time. Don't use any form of guides.

You'll be in for one of the best gaming experiences of your life.

Maple-Rebel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 15, 2018
Just enjoy and don't look up tips.

Remember, there's always a way forward and every boss has a pattern. Nothing is unfair....well maybe blood vials but that's another story.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, did not know about this.

If we ever get that PS5 remaster I know what to consult if I get stuck again.

Oh damn, that seems like a good site.
The interviews page by itself is already such a treasure for any fan:

www.bloodborne-wiki.com

Interviews

Interviews Bloodborne Wiki » Art of Bloodborne » Interviews Source ❘ Edit ❘ Sitemap &Vertica...

I'm happy to spread the word about this wiki, it blew my mind when I just stumbled on it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The opening level is SUPER DAUNTING until you sort of get the flow of the game. Good luck!

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
If at first you don't succeed try, try try again.

You will die alot but that does not matter, that is part of the process, it will frustrate but when it clicks its one nof the best games ever.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Starting Bloodborne as your first Souls game seems great since you don't pick up any habits of the older games.

The main thing is that you shouldn't be afraid to get in there and be aggressive, and absolutely learn to parry with your gun.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
People are saying be patient, but I found actively ignoring your fears and being incredibly aggressive was heavily rewarded in this game. Yes you'll die, but you'll die for being patient too lol

Granted I never beat it. I got to about the end of the game, but got stuck on the optional snow king boss and just kinda stopped playing.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Don't get greedy. One more hit could be your death.

Also not sure if this is a bloodborne or darksouls tip maybe others can confirm, try dodging into or through the monsters rather than dodge backwards. Lots of monsters can deceptively reach you.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for you OP you're in for one heck of a ride. Keep posting here about your experience and any questions you have. As for being lost just go anywhere you haven't been to and keep looking for lamps, eventually you'll know the area like the back of your hand.

GamerEDM

May 7, 2020
"Honorable hunter, pursue the echoes of blood, and I will channel them into your strength."

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
1. Be patient
2. Remember that dying is normal. Every death is an opportunity to learn and refine your gameplay skills.
3. Don't be discouraged. Stay the course.
4. Try different weapons at the start of the game.
5. Don't be afraid to look up build guides or at the least get an idea of what you want your character to be.
6. If you get stuck and are frustrated on a boss watch a let's play video to get an idea of how others tackle a boss or how they approach encounters.
7. Have fun.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
so Bloodborne was free today for PS+, i managed to get it and just finished the download.

it'll be my first Souls (or Souls-like) game, and i've always heard that it was so difficult, also you can't pause it, people could invade your game (?), but i don't think i know much more lmao

if any of you got any tips or somethin, i'd appreciate it
You can use your main 'trick' weapon two handed, or you can use it one handed & use the other hand for your gun (I think you toggle between these with L1).
You NEED your gun. Don't be me. Don't brute force your way through a chunk of the game by exclusive using the heavy two handed attacks.
The game finally got fun for me once I understood how to use the gun. You need to shoot an enemy at the exact right time when they attack you, so you can parry (a counter attack, called a visceral attack in Bloodborne). Look up a tutorial on this if you need to.

And go out of your way to talk to people and just look at the world. The lore is perhaps my favourite aspect of the entire game.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
nothing, go in blind and enjoy the masterpiece. OH WAIT make sure you get the DLC, it's the best thing fromsoft has ever made.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
so Bloodborne was free today for PS+, i managed to get it and just finished the download.

it'll be my first Souls (or Souls-like) game, and i've always heard that it was so difficult, also you can't pause it, people could invade your game (?), but i don't think i know much more lmao

if any of you got any tips or somethin, i'd appreciate it
Fear the old blood.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can level up once you see a Boss. Knowing this would have saved me a solid four or so hours of thinking the game wasn't actually good (and dropping it for a year before retrying).

Spend extra Echoes every time you level on Blood Vials to save time farming them.

Those are the two biggest things I wish I knew.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne has probable been the one game I've wanted to love so badly because I love the aesthetics and look of it, the mood and feel. But I just can't do it, I can't do it. I hate dying in games.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
You'll die a lot.

You'll lose everything.

You'll overcome.

Everyone struggles or faces frustrations with Souls games, but there's nothing sweeter than the satisfaction of doing what you initially thought you were incapable of. Welcome to the party, and good hunting.

Also, I recommend trying to avoid story spoilers as much as possible. If you're stuck, confused, or need help, ask in the Era community thread, but the game will be better if you experience it organically instead of reading all the way through a wiki.

noj86

Oct 28, 2017
London
Bloodborne was my first souls game and I loved it through and through.

here are my few advices :

1/ You don't have to kill every ennemies all the time, running through known sections is a valid/essential method to avoid the fear/frustration of failing in new areas.

2/ learn to use the pistols (parry)

3/ read the item descriptions, they often contains clue to the world lore or special usage.

4/ explore, explore, explore

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
The saw cleaver is easy mode. Just upgrade that and you're good to go. I played with the threaded cane my first play though and couldn't believe how much easier the saw cleaver made the bosses.

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
My best advice I can think of is

1) Don't worry about dying.
2) Exploration often leads to rewards.
3) Learn to dodge and parry, they are your best friends!
4) This is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played in my life, I've never been so sucked into a world like I have been with Bloodborne. Try to avoid spoilers!

Have fun playing my favorite game this console generation!

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a lot of lore to dive into or learn about in the game's world or creatures?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Free on PSN+ ? Niiice... that means new players to play with this weekend! Time for some Jolly Co-operation!

Fantastic game. Probably nothing to add after all of this advice.

It's not as hard as people say. Just like Dark Souls, take your time, watch for ambushes. The difficulty is very front loaded when you are so weak. Once you get a few levels in and can take a few hits, the game gets much easier (not to say it is "easy"). But if you treat it like a survival game where combat is serious business and not as God of War III, then it is fine.

Use the Axe, 2H Axe = the best. Spin to Win!

Edit - Ah I guess the freebie for PSN+ was a mistake (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-plus-seemed-to-add-surprise-free-game/1100-6482894/) ? I guess that means no rush of new players :( Still, this game is 110% worth it, easily one of the best of Ps4.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good posts, but once again, dying is fine, don't let it get to you just because you lost souls. it's nothing in the long run. Just respawn and enjoy the amazing game that is Bloodborne. And if you want a pretty "easy" weapon that you can use for the whole game no problem, pick up the hunter axe, it's amazing in the 2 handed mode where you spin to win

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get greedy.

Also every area has a shortcut, if a run to a boss feels way too long then you probably have not found it yet. Plus, exploration is very, very rewarding in this game. :)

Good luck, hunter!