• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on PC so I've never played it but after playing MCC the formula needed a change and it sounds like 343 got it right. Hopefully they keep going in the same direction and don't revert because of nostalgia cause as much as I adored the old Halo's back in the day they just all felt extremely dated now.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I dislike it, it plays like any generic shooter which doesn't give it a unique feel. There is a reason the community died faster than any other Halo game ever, it's not a good game.
You're wrong. 343i has already gone on record that it had better player retention than any Halo game besides Halo 3. The community is still active 5 years later.

Article about player retention

Show me one other arena shooter market on the market today that plays like Halo 5. I'd love to be able to try it.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Nah, the MP is fantastic. Top notch.

It really isn't. It's slow, boring, and poorly paced. The weapon sandbox is poor and it is also sorely lacking quality maps.

The enhanced mobility actually made the game slower by removing offensive control from the player when using those abilities, making it easier to escape firefight and removing margin of error, and is compounded by the maps being designed with the mobility in mind (made larger than normal and having geometry designed to compliment the climbing mechanic).

Instead of being liberating, enhanced mobility had the opposite effect.

It tried to do the fast mobility that was trendy at the time while also trying to be a Halo game and either the way each philosophy was brought together didn't mesh well or they're just incompatible and it was a fool's errand. Either way, Halo 5 was a game that didn't know what it wanted to be.

OP
OP
Sketchsanchez

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't. It's slow, boring, and poorly paced. The weapon sandbox is poor and it is also sorely lacking quality maps.

The enhanced mobility actually made the game slower by removing offensive control from the player when using those abilities, making it easier to escape firefight and removing margin of error, and is compounded by the maps being designed with the mobility in mind (made larger than normal and having geometry designed to compliment the climbing mechanic).

It tried to do the fast mobility that was trendy at the time while also trying to be a Halo game and either the way each philosophy was brought together didn't mesh well or they're just incompatible and it was a fool's errand. Either way, Halo 5 was a game that didn't know what it wanted to be.
Honestly I dont know how you can say its slow and boring? Like right there its hard to read the rest. I respect your opinion but its just so far from slow for me compared to classic halo. Yeah, it plays DIFFERENT, for sure. I wont argue that. But slow? I gotta push back.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Honestly I dont know how you can say its slow and boring? Like right there its hard to read the rest. I respect your opinion but its just so far from slow for me compared to classic halo. Yeah, it plays DIFFERENT, for sure. I wont argue that. But slow? I gotta push back.

Yeah. Matches play out slower than previous Halo games because the enhanced mobility had the inverse of its intended effect.

Any sense of faster gameplay is only superfluous because the maps are scaled to reflect the new kit of movement abilities and when using these abilities you cannot shoot or throw grenades.

By comparison, previous Halo games actually offer more freedom to the player, especially the first 3 because you have access to your full arsenal of offensive actions at all times.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Mythic Arena is so on point. Glad I finally got to check it out since it's currently live.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've been playing allot of Halo 5 recently and I really feel like a relaunch of 5s multiplayer being free on Steam/PC/Xbox would be a success. I mean I do feel that with Halo Infinite this isn't too important but I'd love to see the reaction

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i love checking out the stats of expert hot take opinions in halo tracker and seeing how few games people played in h5 and when they last played.

BusterSword

May 10, 2019
Daytona Beach, FL
Why is that?
O nvm I saw ur post history. Yikes
Oh come off it kid. I have played Halo since the MLG days. Halo does not need to copy mechanics from other successful fps games to be good. The entire franchise has suffered from identity crisis since 343 got their hands on it, and the franchise's dwindling population, relevancy, and popularity is enough to prove that. What makes it so good to you? Or should I just bring up your post history as opposed to actually presenting a valid point?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on PC so I've never played it but after playing MCC the formula needed a change and it sounds like 343 got it right. Hopefully they keep going in the same direction and don't revert because of nostalgia cause as much as I adored the old Halo's back in the day they just all felt extremely dated now.

...but how can you say they're going in the right direction if you've never played it?

Like I get having issues with the old, but how can you say this is the way they should take it if you literally never played it?

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Why is that?
O nvm I saw ur post history. Yikes

Is it really that bad? I would take a look, but it would probably feel like a waste of my time.

Anyway, I agree that Halo 5 MP is the best Halo MP in the series. Like most of you, I've played and enjoyed Halo 2 and 3 MP, but I definitely didn't play them near as much as Halo 5. I hated it at first (I was losing maybe 90% of my Team Slayer matches around launch), but after deciding to limit myself to one or two winning matches a day, it really grew on me. In fact, I still try to get at least one winning match a day, whether after work or on weekends.

On a related note, I've had this idea for a while that maybe Halo: Infinite (or some other future Halo game) could integrate something like a jetpack, except it'd be sort of a cross between the Mega Man 6 jet adaptor and the double jump in COD: Advance Warfare.

In my mind, it would be far more limited than the Halo: Reach jetpack and the Mega Man 6 jetpack. If anything, it would basically be like the AW double jump, except that you'd also have the option to boost for about a quarter of a second longer, just enough to reach a high ledge. Out of curiosity, how would you guys feel about something like that being added to Halo MP?

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017

What am I reading? Halo 5 arena is the fastest Halo has ever played. It's almost suffocating at times with how fast the pace of a match is if your opponents are really good.

And a poor sandbox? Literally the most balanced and well thought out sandbox in any Halo! Everything you pick up is capable of killing someone effectively, you can't say that about any prior Halo. Bungie's sandboxes were fucking awful in MP. Either you had a BR/power weapon or you were fucked.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
...but how can you say they're going in the right direction if you've never played it?

Like I get having issues with the old, but how can you say this is the way they should take it if you literally never played it?
Cause the originals didn't age well( to me) and I'm just going by the impressions I've long read that have typically been very positive for the feel of the game and the multiplayer.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh a praise and crap on Halo 5 thread at the same time!

Multiplayer was fun though exhausting due to the sheer pace of it all so I stopped playing because the backpack was just not getting it done, campaign was average.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Campaign is looks amazing but the story was big let down. MP is god tier. Has never let me down for the past 5 years. Still come back to it weekly.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Finally played through all the campaigns again in anticipation to infinite. 5s campaign is definitely better on a second Play through, and looks awesome on the one X. I turned on the subtitles, and it made the story a lot more enjoyable for me. 5 MP is truly the best though, and 4 has the better campaign story wise.

OP
OP
Sketchsanchez

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh a praise and crap on Halo 5 thread at the same time!

Multiplayer was fun though exhausting due to the sheer pace of it all so I stopped playing because the backpack was just not getting it done, campaign was average.
I don't mean it to be one! I love halo 5!

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
enhanced mobility is NOT a lie

and leaves out how you can traverse the map (ex, via top mid) much faster than you could in halo 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer felt and played great. However; lack of split screen meant I was far less interested in it and didn't play it for very long.

Oct 26, 2017
It's very well made, it's just a bit too fast for me and only offers slayer at this point in its life cycle, which is really boring and brings out the games worst flaws imo

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Halo 5 is a strange case, because it's obvious that the single player development struggled and underwent a ton of changes (where's poncho Chief?), But the multiplayer absolutely knocked it out of the park. 343 nailed the core gameplay.

Has it been confirmed that the thrusters have been cut from Halo Infinite? I'd be kinda bummed if this were the case.

Jun 15, 2020
I agree now. I didn't like it much the first time through, but I did a replay of 4 & 5 a few weeks ago and loved them both this time. I was quite shocked.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
What am I reading? Halo 5 arena is the fastest Halo has ever played. It's almost suffocating at times with how fast the pace of a match is if your opponents are really good.

And a poor sandbox? Literally the most balanced and well thought out sandbox in any Halo! Everything you pick up is capable of killing someone effectively, you can't say that about any prior Halo. Bungie's sandboxes were fucking awful in MP. Either you had a BR/power weapon or you were fucked.

Fast in what way? Because you can zoom around with all of these abilities? Like I said, that's deceptive. The actual games play out slower because of these abilities and the way maps were designed around these abilities. Half of the weapons in 343s sandbox are redundant.

Look at the link in that post comparing professional matches. The time differences are staggering.

Oct 26, 2017
Unless you want to play some gimmick mode or Warzone, you only have slayer options. Team Arena offers objective, but it restricts you to HCS settings (which severely limits the sandbox). There's literally no way to get base setting for 4v4 objective, which is the only playlist I enjoy (Core Play)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Fast in what way? Because you can zoom around with all of these abilities? Like I said, that's deceptive. The actual games play out slower because of these abilities and the way maps were designed around these abilities. Half of the weapons in 343s sandbox are redundant.

you last played in 2016, one match in fact. a;; your other 200 or so matches were from launch year 2015. you are also basing your opinion off of data (not your own experience) that doesnt account for changes to the sandbox (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-is-testing-major-radar-changes-that-could-g/1100-6448396/#:~:text=343 is making significant changes to the game's controversial motion sensor.&text=More than 16 months after,and evolve Halo 5: Guardians.&text=On top of that, the,increased from 18m to 25m. and https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/weapon-tuning-update, etc) let alone changes to the meta of halo 5

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Chief does a dash/thrust twice in the Infinite trailer, from what I can tell. And, seeing it didn't have a timer or on-screen cool down, I assume it is baked in to the controls. He does it once when fighting the brutes dropped from orbit on the ramp. He does it again when getting extra air jumping over a crate to kill a jackal with the shotgun underneath the AA gun.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Halo 5 MP isn't "classic" halo, but it's still fucking awesome. I was LTTP with the MP for Halo 5. I preordered and bought it day one, and beat the campaign in about 2 days and really hated the campaign. I was pretty soured from the experience so I decided to just put it away and not really go back to it. Now that Infinite is on the horizon, I thought I'd give it another shot, and it's... it's pretty addicting. The REQ system is pretty lame AF but it sort of works for Warzone mode. There's always some new specialty mode every week or so to keep things fresh, and this weekend's special Mythic Arena is pretty close to old Halo, but has H5 weapons and stuff. It's pretty good.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017

Look at the link in that post comparing professional matches. The time differences are staggering.

Fast in the pace of play, you literally can't take a few steps without being shot in this game, the pistol allows pretty much non stop action due to it being so accurate. Playing MCC and then going to 5 just highlights this even further to me, the old games feel slow and archaic in comparison.

I've been playing Mythic non stop the past few days, and it takes 5's gameplay and pushes it to the extreme with a H2BR and small ass maps. Nothing about H5's MP is slow.

The sandbox is no more redundant than any past game, and even brings some great additions with the light rifle and plasma caster, which both have 2 firing modes. 343 even made the Sentinel Beam not trash, lol.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
My biggest gripe with Halo 5 is the abhorrent texture and lighting quality. I've been playing a lot of Reach via MCC and for a last generation title, this beats the piss out of halo 5 in the IQ department.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Unless you want to play some gimmick mode or Warzone, you only have slayer options. Team Arena offers objective, but it restricts you to HCS settings (which severely limits the sandbox). There's literally no way to get base setting for 4v4 objective, which is the only playlist I enjoy (Core Play)

so, you are saying there is more than just slayer. gotcha

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
BTB was a (THE) big mis-step with h5 IMO. really a shame that mode got largely ignored, especially since the entirety of 4v4 dropped vehicles

Oct 30, 2017
halo 5's campaign is great. i think people weight some obviously dumb stuff (the warden boss fights, the completely inane plot) too heavily and ignore that the encounter design is some of the best in the entire series.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
halo 5's campaign is great. i think people weight some obviously dumb stuff (the warden boss fights, the completely inane plot) too heavily and ignore that the encounter design is some of the best in the entire series.

agreed. i challenge anyone that thinks halo 4's campaign is better than 5's to replay both. IMO, from a gameplay perspective its no contest

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Halo 5 MP plays really well. I've been playing it a lot lately and I'm ejoying myself. Unfortunately, it is bogged down by really bad maps (especially an over reliance on clamber). There's like 4 good maps and the rest are terrible.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, it felt like a bad knock off of what Halo is supposed to be. I enjoyed it enough to finish the campaign and put a couple of weeks into multiplayer. But it was like I was playing a different game, using Halo assets - if that makes sense?
I thought Halo 4 was better by a significant margin.

Oct 26, 2017
so, you are saying there is more than just slayer. gotcha
Every single game type in Ranked is slayer based except Team Arena, which is hyper competitive, includes slayer, and not base Halo 5.

In Casual, there is only Social Slayer or whatever it's called and no other 4v4 core Halo 5 modes.

In MCC, you can play objective Halo whenever you want, and in past games they were supported for the entire life cycle. Halo 5 does not support objective play. So if you are looking to play normal Halo, you're out of luck if you like objectives.

Fiesta/Husky Raid, Infection, Grifball and whatever else is in there is not core Halo.

Never said the game is bad, but it doesn't offer the same kind of game type variety as past games, which was very apparent from the barebones launch of only 4 game types

Hope that specified what I was trying to say

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've heard the mutliplayer is pretty damn good even if it's fairly different from 1-3 from like... everyone who's played it lol

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I have to go back and play it again on the Xbox One X. I played it when I bought a regular Xbox One back in the day and thought it was OKAY at best but with the 4k update I'd like to go through the entire MCC again and then Halo 5. I'm planning on doing it leading up to the launch of Infinite.

Oct 26, 2017
Yall need to play the campaign again. It's great now.
Still the weakest entry in the series for me. Characters are bland, level design is unambitious and mostly three lane, and relies too much on scripted events and set pieces that older games did already. And that's not even mentioning how disappointing the story was. Like it's not horrible, but it doesn't offer much