• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Theres a difference between people that have work to do and bills to pay versus people buying cheap flights to Hawaii or traveling to Florida during Spring Break.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they should give some of that wealth away to help people in need to incentivize people to stay at home. they wont miss a couple million dollars but they wont do it because that requires actual sacrifice on their end

This. Conor McGregor is the only celeb person I've seen give a million+ towards helping with the pandemic.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I don't blame you. Take care of yourself and family, but also take necessary precautions for the sake of the public.

I can tell you firsthand the folks here in D.C. don't give a fuk. They're in the parks, walking their dogs and playing football. This city will be the next ground zero in a few weeks.
Yup, it's going to be so bad in 2 weeks here. VA finally issued the state order when they should've issued it weeks ago

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I used an Uber today ( emergency btw) and he told me he had to chose to buy hand sanitizer or food. He said he doesn't know if he will have enough money to feed his daughter, tomorrow. Because he and his wife are already rationing food.

Very tricky situation indeed.

edit: sp

Last edited:

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used an Uber today ( emergency btw) and he told me he had to chose to buy hand sanitizer or food. He said he doesn't know if he will have enough money to feed his daughter, tomorrow. Because he and his wife is already rationing food.

Jesus. I'd give him some food if I had his address.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I used an Uber today ( emergency btw) and he told me he had to chose to buy hand sanitizer or food. He said he doesn't know if he will have enough money to feed his daughter, tomorrow. Because he and his wife is already rationing food.

Imagine if this goes on for months. People will be rioting over food very soon. Sorry, but the $1200 one-time check isn't gonna cut it. Here in Canada it's $2k per month. Get your shit together USA! People are going to starve/suffer very soon if not already.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
"Stay home until this blows over" suggests that the system works in-favor of and to protect low-income or otherwise at-risk individuals. That's not the reality. It's not that they're wrong, but saying it with a smile sugarcoats how damaging this will be for countless people, even in the best-case scenario.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
i'm essential bro

can't stay in and watch netflix and steelers docs from the 60s like you
Who would have thought. We live in a world where you are essential.

Will wonders never cease.

Next I will hear that you are saving your money.

Also, if you must know I am spending my free time watching classic movies like Spinal Tap and Caddy Shack. I am beyond football now.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rich people are telling you stay home because they have a platform.

Us poors are telling you to stay home, too. You just can't see or hear us.

please.

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
as long as rent and bills are due you need to work it's that simple. anyone irl or on this board who gives you shit about it is a jerk and you should ask them to venmo you money so you can stay home at all times.

oh also any celeb tweeting stay home shit should be offering to send struggling people money, that would make their corny ass cover songs more bearable

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stay home, plenty of people in the same boat but infecting yourself and others is far worse the missing rent. Endure, as long as you have your health, like all of us, you'll be able settle things once the worst is over. And your the government should be helping you with your landlord surely? As in make it illegal for any kind of repercussions due to the lockdown.

Providers of domestic services in UK for instance are assisting those that have encountered unforseen financial loss due to the virus and lockdown. Payment holidays, rearranging payments, discounts etc. Have you spoken to your utility providers etc ?

Last edited:

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine people telling you over and over "If you don't need to go outside, don't go outside", and then thinking "Are you going to pay my rent?" is a good response.

If. you. have. to. go. to. work. Go. to. work. If. that's. not. the. case. stay. home.

it's amazing this is flying over peoples heads.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're so wrong and you're going to see soon how wrong your are.

Greetings from Madrid.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Flouting social distancing attempts and isolation measures will also adversely affect the lower income areas more than the rich. Households with grandparents living with them. Homeless people who can't as easily isolate. People with no access to healthcare. Low paid workers deemed essential.

Yes saying "stay at home" is easier for people with money under the mattress but not doing so outside of necessity is also putting those most at risk, more at risk.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Lots of people listen to celebrities over politicians. There's an important message that needs to be spread and listened to. Not everything is class warfare.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Imagine if this goes on for months. People will be rioting over food very soon. Sorry, but the $1200 one-time check isn't gonna cut it. Here in Canada it's $2k per month. Get your shit together USA! People are going to starve/suffer very soon if not already.

It might not be perfect, but $1200 still sounds pretty good compared to the $0 you get in most other countries right now.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
In the US if you lost your job it's an extra $600 per per week (plus what you'd normally get on unemployment) plus the one time $1200.

Oct 27, 2017

Greetings from Madrid.

I know, right? Some people, some countries, some leaders... they just refuse to see what this has been for those who were hit by COVID-19 before they were. Is it hubris? Is it putting "the economy" before the people? I don't know. But as an outsider looking in, what's been happening in some countries (the US, the UK, Sweden, etc.) is horrifying. We're way past the point of "social distancing" being effective, yet some refuse to see it.

PS: Sending positive energy from Asturias *crosses fingers*

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
"Unless you have to work, stay at home"

"WHAT?! How am I supposed to pay my bills?"

"OMG ARE YOU GOING TO PAY HIS RENT FOR HIM?!?"

"All these celebrities and rich elites don't understand that some of us need to work to pay bills!!!!"

"I can't believe no one understands our plight. We might as well ignore all precautions."

This topic in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
How are some of yall not seeing what is happening in this very thread?

OP literally says he has to work to survive.
Half of yall are being condescending to the OP saying he doesn't understand what 'stay home' means and that it's not for people who have to work to survive.
Then between ya'll's posts is a dozen other people still saying "I'm poor, stay home" to the OP anyways after he has already clarified he has to work.

Oct 29, 2017
Lol:

dFL7PgG.png

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019

Half of yall are being condescending to the OP saying he doesn't understand what 'stay home' means and that it's not for people who have to work to survive.
Then between ya'll's posts is a dozen other people still saying "I'm poor, stay home" to the OP anyways after he has already clarified he has to work.
You are purposefully ignoring all of the posts saying "Go to work if you are required, otherwise stay home". Including the post literally before the one you posted. Stop being obtuse.

Almost no one(please point the ones that do) is making the argument that you should quit your job, skip paying your bills, etc just to stay home. Everyone telling him to stay home explicitly or implictly also say that he should go to work if he's considered essential or his job won't close.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
You are purposefully ignoring all of the posts saying "Go to work if you are required, otherwise stay home". Including the post literally before the one you posted. Stop being obtuse.

Almost no one(please point the ones that do) is making the argument that you should quit your job, skip paying your bills, etc just to stay home. Everyone telling him to stay home explicitly or implictly also say that he should go to work if he's considered essential or his job won't close.
Poor as fuck.

Stay at home
I'm broke.

Stay home
The OP states explicitly that he has to work to survive. In the context of this thread, how is the OP supposed to interpret these replies, since they are directed towards him and written knowing that the OP has to work to survive?

I'm not even making an argument one way or the other on staying home, but there's a lot of gaslighting towards the OP saying that no one is telling him to stay home if he has to work to survive.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
The OP states explicitly that he has to work to survive. In the context of this thread, how is the OP supposed to interpret these replies, since they are directed towards him and written knowing that the OP has to work to survive?

I'm not even making an argument one way or the other on staying home, but there's a lot of gaslighting towards the OP saying that no one is telling him to stay home if he has to work to survive.

Again, why are you purposefully ignoring the vast majority of comments saying to go to work if he must? Those comments were in direct reference to the OP complaining that "rich celebrities" who are out of touch are telling him to stay home. Some responded that the implication is "go to work if you are forced to go to work, stay home otherwise" and others responded with "I'm poor ( aka "I'm not a rich celebrity" ), stay home". What is the issue you are having that isn't resolved by reading nearly any other post in the topic parroting the same response?

Like I said, you (and others regurgitating the same inane points) are choosing to ignore what everyone is actually saying so you can feel as if "no one gets it".

It'd be like someone posting "I'm tired of people telling me to consume bottles of water. Don't they get I can't digest plastic?" and when you have 50 people saying "Drink the water inside the bottle, don't eat the bottle itself" and 2 people say "lol take the cap off the bottle", the response you give is "I don't get why you guys think this is funny. Even if I remove the cap the bottle itself is made out of plastic. Stop being so condescending!"

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
There are posts on this very page saying staying home is more important than paying rent. Some of you don't even have any concept of how privileged you are.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Some people in my country also started with the same sentiment as you and went to work even if it was not essential, then all went to more shit, the quarantine was even harsher and now we all need to stay by force with a grater hit to the economy and the chances of other people that actually are in the same economic situtation as you having even more porblems to pay the rent or their families food for 30 days more.

As not a rich person, stay home. They are not telling it to you to fuck up with you becuase you have less money than them, they are telling it to you so this can finish faster and you can get to work sooner and not make more people die.

Now, your goverment should REALLY help you and others so you are able to pay rent for isolation, thats for sure, but blame your government for not doing the right thing, dont blame the doctors for telling you what is best so everything can end as soon as possible.

Greetings from Madrid.
Basically.
Im sure Italians would say the same to the OP.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

stay home is shorthand

it should be interpreted as take care of your essentials then stay home. gotta work gotta eat? neat! then stay home.

it's really easy and has been explained too many times in this thread for posts such as yours to still be happening

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017

The vast majority of people have to work to survive. Time to catastrophic insolvency varies from person to person but whether it's a week or 4 weeks, it's largely irrelevant. 50-60% of people cannot afford a $200 monthly disruption to their income.

Do what you have to do to survive, stay at home when you can but there aren't exceptions to the rule.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

No one is going to be rioting over food. Enhanced unemployment, not the 1 time stimulus is meant to account for that. It's $600/week on top of whatever state unemployment is and runs through 7/31.

Where i am that means a max of 1140/week through July on top of the 1200 one time stimulus payment. Student loans are all suspended as well.

It's going to suck for small business but no one is going to be in the streets setting things on fire.