• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
This has progressively peeved me as i've gotten older. Chucklefucks seem to think that just mashing ghost peppers and putting them on food is all that needs to be done. No, all that does is make your bland ass food even worse to eat. I was really excited to try these chips when I saw them

178288_1.jpg

But my god these chips are bland. It tastes like they couldn't even be assed to salt them. Makes me sad, as for a second I thought there would finally be a worthy successor to these bad boys.

00028400031240-EJhLCyKbVA0Iw-0_s500.jpg

TL;DR you still have to season your food when making things hot

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about prepared food, not junk food. Those do have some flavor, but not much.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I mean, the solution is to get actual food and not gimmick junk food where being hot is the only point of the product. Those are novelty items.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Ehh I love spicy food, but I don't care much for tortilla chips. I prefer spicy potato chips like this, which does have (good) flavor in addition to a lot of heat:

tmp_5cNDb8_aef0e1c79e86dd69_Lay_s_Flamin_Hot_Dill_Pickle_-_EPS_High-Res_Image.jpg

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I realize you're complaining about your brag snacks. But maybe if you really like hot food try hot food?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Go to an Indian or Thai restaurant OP.

You'll get options with plenty of spice and flavor.

Stop shopping in the junk food aisle of the supermarket.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Same. I don't really get these kinds of spicy junk food because you can tell by the packaging/marketing that it's made to just be very spicy in a novel way, and not actually good tasting.

Eh, flamin' hot cheetos taste pretty good. The current wave of this stuff does seem to be more like what you describe, though.

It's funny how a lot of people have discovered the joy of spicy food in recent years, but haven't pieced together the whole "season your food" thing yet. I love spicy food but this whole take on it has made me realize that spiciness clearly isn't the whole story. I like the flavors that often go *with* spicy food. Flavorful curries, the brightness and acidity of a good salsa, etc.

Choking down raw ass capsaicin on top of some bland food just makes the whole experience even more awful.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was going to be about prepared food, not junk food. Those do have some flavor, but not much.
I see the issue, you're not eating food
I mean, the solution is to get actual food and not gimmick junk food where being hot is the only point of the product. Those are novelty items.
I realize you're complaining about your brag snacks. But maybe if you really like hot food try hot food?
Go to an Indian or Thai restaurant OP.

You'll get options with plenty of spice and flavor.

Stop shopping in the junk food aisle of the supermarket.
eat a home cooked meal wtf
...then stop eating garbage food and go out and seek good restaurants or good cooks?
It may be shocking to yall but this happens at restaurants too. Maybe I should have posted a pic from restaurant no one has heard of, that would have made a relatable thread

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I've seen cases where some Hot Wing places that emphasize on Ghost Peppers or Carolina Reapers, tend to cheap out and use Ghost Pepper oil / extract. This does not provide flavor at all. It's just pure heat.

I distinctly recall Adam Richman made issue with this on one of the episodes of Man Vs. Food, which he stated in an interview on Hot Ones, one of the restaurant cooks instead of using one to two drops as described on the bottle, Tried to be a clever shithead and dumped the entire bottle into the mix thinking no one would notice and to "Blow out" Richman out of the contest. He almost died.

Spicy food can be good on occasion, On point one of the ingredients for my Father's Spaghetti and Meat Sauce uses a small portion of roasted garlic cloves and crushed red peppers right into the tomato sauce as its in the pot simmering which gives a very nice kick.

However, heat for the sake of heat without complimenting the dish and adding flavor is completely pointless.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Flamin' Hot is basically its own flavour/brand at this point, I wouldn't count it among these kinds of products although Cheddar Jalapeño Cheetos are superior

I rarely eat this kind of stuff, but next time the craving hits that's what I'm trying.

Don't get grumpy with us because we aren't mind-readers.

Being all weird about snack foods most people are familiar with isn't a great approach either!

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen cases where some Hot Wing places that emphasize on Ghost Peppers or Carolina Reapers, tend to cheap out and use Ghost Pepper oil / extract. This does not provide flavor at all. It's just pure heat.

I distinctly recall Adam Richman made issue with this on one of the episodes of Man Vs. Food, which he stated in an interview on Hot Ones, one of the restaurant cooks instead of using one to two drops as described on the bottle, Tried to be a clever shithead and dumped the entire bottle into the mix thinking no one would notice and to "Blow out" Richman out of the contest. He almost died.
What a douche
What restaurants are you going to?
Most places which have "hot" selections so a lotta wing places, some mexican places with salsas, and i've even gotten some mediocre flavoring from asian spots . Then most american places have the opposite problem of advertised "hotness" not being able to come close to a regular ass bag of hot cheetos.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Most places which have "hot" selections so a lotta wing places, some mexican places with salsas, and i've even gotten some mediocre flavoring from asian spots . Then most american places have the opposite problem of advertised "hotness" not being able to come close to a regular ass bag of hot cheetos.

Tell us what dishes you've had.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I had Hot n jucy last night for dinner. Had me sniffing my nose and panting from the heat, but it was damn delicious. When you're eating trash junk food with a "hot af" gimmick, then yeah expect it to be trash junk food.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I've bee disappointed by is all these "Sriracha" dishes at restaurants I've gone to over the last couple of years. None of them ever even have a spicy hint to them, and it just seems like branding at this point. Literally puts a drop of sriracha in the recipe, and boom insert gourmet whatever with sriracha spicy mayo or some shit just to make it stick out on the menu.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Spiciness for the sake of spiciness is a trend that I absolutely can't stand. If your food is so hot that it puts people in physical pain, I won't be eating it.

Flavor and heat need to complement each other.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Spicy Nacho Doritos are the best. The Blaze, Flamin', etc is just heat and no taste. Heat is easy, heat and flavor is hard

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Spiciness for the sake of spiciness is a trend that I absolutely can't stand. If your food is so hot that it puts people in physical pain, I won't be eating it.

Flavor and heat need to complement each other.
I agree. I love stuff that tastes good while being spicy. Spiciness compliments it. Hot for the sake of being hot is meh.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
YouTube culture has made hot and spicy a gimmick and they aren't worried about taste just heat. In that I agree.

There's still plenty of options but yes their is one type of gimmick foods out there.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I have so many fantastic hot sauces that are ghost/reaper/scorpion/7-pot... All with fantastic flavour. Just gotta use the right sauce with the right meal so it compliments it.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...stop eating at those places? Idk what you want us to add or discuss. I know plenty of places around me that have flavorful spice in there foods. I can't imagine finding flavorful spiciness is all that hard.

OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Get some Indian food in your life OP
Its funny because yesterday i went to the only indian place in town and it was closed for renovation. Instead went to try a boring sandwich shop whose definition of spicy was... a salami sandwich.

One of the best balance of hot and flavorful ive had is a dish at a chinese place i go to. Twice cooked pork belly, cabbage, jalapenos and i assume chili peppers with the seeds for both included. Coughing on the seeds still suck tho lol

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its funny because yesterday i went to the only indian place in town and it was closed for renovation. Instead went to try a boring sandwich shop whose definition of spicy was... a salami sandwich.

One of the best balance of hot and flavorful ive had is a dish at a chinese place i go to. Twice cooked pork belly, cabbage, jalapenos and i assume chili peppers with the seeds for both included. Coughing on the seeds still suck tho lol
Ever try dan-dan noodles?

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
If you have access to it, I'd go for Korean, Sichuan Chinese, Authentic Mexican, Thai, or Jamaican cuisine. All known for being very spicy, but also flavorful. Indian too, but you noted that you only had one option.