• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
from Jason´s Bloomberg article:
"Ubisoft remains a family business, though. The company replaced Mallat last week with Christophe Derennes, another veteran employee. Derennes is the Guillemots' cousin, according to three employees."

so yeah...there are always people involved that are close to them. they "keep it in the family" it seems...
I understand that, ultimately nothing will change unless it affects their money, which it won't. I'll just do what I can do.

Trash company.

Oct 28, 2019
Measures announced:

- Independent investigation by Accenture (report expected by September)
- New Head of Workplace Culture position
- Internal alert system
- External Support centre where employees can go to for support and to report transgressions
- Training course for all employees
- Overhauled HR department with the ability to bypass superiors
- Three new VPs for the Editorial department (prev. Hascoëts playground) coming from a minority background

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): incredibly inflammatory comparison
Between the Washington NFL team and Ubisoft, this is a necessary bending of the knee. Time to put this culture on its neck.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah repeating what i said before,
for this amount of systematic shitshow to continue this long and this widespread,
you either have to be totally incompetent or totally complicit as a ceo.

so step the fuck down please, yves.
no one is buying your apologies.

Oct 25, 2017
Measures announced:

- Independent investigation by Accenture (report expected by September)
- New Head of Workplace Culture position
- Internal alert system
- External Support centre where employees can go to for support and to report transgressions
- Training course for all employees
- Overhauled HR department with the ability to bypass superiors
- Three new VPs for the Editorial department (prev. Hascoëts playground) coming from a minority background

Would be nice to know what companies introduce practices like this without there being a major controversy

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Not buying it. If he was serious about dealing with the problem at least some of it would have been addressed before the issues became public in the last few weeks.

He can resign. I'll accept that.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
In any case, I still think Era should take a stronger stand in regards to discussion about their games. Every OP should have a big ass disclaimer pointing out this problem for as long as these alleged changes don't yield results.
And what would that do other than to shame Era members who are playing those games? I'm in the camp of blacklisting Ubisoft altogether from Era. if an Era member wants to discuss a Ubisoft game they should do it elsewhere be it Twitter or another forum or whatever. Ubisoft's magnitude of abuse deserves setting up a precedent of a zero-tolerance policy for this kind of behavior.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry isn't good enough since Yves has been protecting all these predatory people.

Abolish the Ubi.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
And what would that do other than to shame Era members who are playing those games? I'm in the camp of blacklisting Ubisoft altogether from Era. if an Era member wants to discuss a Ubisoft game they should do it elsewhere be it Twitter or another forum or whatever. Ubisoft's magnitude of abuse deserves setting up a precedent of a zero-tolerance policy for this kind of behavior.
That's on them? The point of having a big disclaimer in every OP about their games is to continue to bring awareness to the issue. If we ban all discussion about Ubisoft's games, then we just stop being a possible source of awareness. It's sweeping the issue under the rug rather than addressing it, because people will just read about their games elsewhere.

Era is not the bulk of exposure of Ubisoft's games. Nothing will change if we completely blacklist them.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
He let the abusers resign instead of being fired, after covering them for years.
Fuck him and fuck his corrupt company

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Even if by some kind of magic he didn't know about the fuckery his right-hand man was involved in, he'd still be considered negligent for allowing him to do whatever he pleases.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah all this happened under his watch - he was actively involved in brushing this under the rug - Yves doesn't get to get away with an apology he really needs to resign if they truly want to work on improving this

Cousin From Boston

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Nov 21, 2017
He's sorry he got outed. He should resign and Ubisoft should be boycotted until there's complete and total leadership turnover.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I have reached the point now where I want nothing to do with any one who gives Ubisoft money.
You are directly paying into the pockets of abusers and abuse enablers.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. He's sorry that it's now affecting his brand. He certainly didn't give a shit when everything was happening.
Resign, and Ubi needs to clean house.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
What would happen if Yves resigned? Ubisoft is a family business so I assumed Yves and several other family members take up the bulk of the company board of directors. Like, it's a very big conglomerate so many he's replaceable but if he and his family has the majority of stock I could see his resignation also being the end of "Ubisoft".

noatak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also sorry this happened to the >100 people at Ubisoft. But unlike me, Yves is the founder and CEO of Ubisoft. He has a special responsibility towards his employees. And he either really didn't know what was happening in his company, which makes him incompetent, and under his leadership these things will continue to happen, or he knew about it all and didn't do anything to get rid of the perpetrators, which makes him complicit. In either case he needs to step down.

I always thought Ubisoft was a video game developer first and foremost, but now I have to acknowledge that it is primarily a front for a group of sex offenders to act out their fucked up fantasies.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
Where are all the Ubisoft defenders now? Everytime someone calls out this garbage company and their garbage games, people show up and vehemently defend them.

As if I needed more reasons to hate AC Origins/Odyssey.

Shitty company that makes shitty games. Fuck them.

Oct 28, 2019
What would happen if Yves resigned? Ubisoft is a family business so I assumed Yves and several other family members take up the bulk of the company board of directors. Like, it's a very big conglomerate so many he's replaceable but if he and his family has the majority of stock I could see his resignation also being the end of "Ubisoft".

I can't ever see Yves resigning. It's their life's work and fought tooth and nail a few years back to stave off a hostile takeover (somewhat ironically by another billionaire French family). The Guillemots are majority shareholder by a fair margin and hold the highest percentage voting rights. Yves and his brothers hold five of the twelve positions on the Board of Directors.

I can only see him leaving on his own accord with either age or disastrous financial performances, both of which are ways off.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Actions count more than words. Empty too late irrelevant words. You failed your employees. Take your ill-gotten bonuses and get out.

Jun 1, 2018
I'm also sorry this happened to the >100 people at Ubisoft. But unlike me, Yves is the founder and CEO of Ubisoft. He has a special responsibility towards his employees. And he either really didn't know what was happening in his company, which makes him incompetent, and under his leadership these things will continue to happen, or he knew about it all and didn't do anything to get rid of the perpetrators, which makes him complicit. In either case he needs to step down.

I always thought Ubisoft was a video game developer first and foremost, but now I have to acknowledge that it is primarily a front for a group of sex offenders to act out their fucked up fantasies.
Jason specifically mentioned that Yves was in the inner circle and one employee even emailed him about the stuff and he ignored lt

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where are all the Ubisoft defenders now? Everytime someone calls out this garbage company and their garbage games, people show up and vehemently defend them.

As if I needed more reasons to hate AC Origins/Odyssey.

Shitty company that makes shitty games. Fuck them.
The fact that your reaction to a company facing hundreds of sexual harassements complaints is to basically feeling vindicated because you didn't like their games says a lot about you and how much you care about this issue.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
The Guillemots should be purged from Ubi before I even consider spending anything on them.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Is it at all possible that HR hid all this from him and he actually just found out? Especially if HR was protecting higher ups rather than employees? Or is he lying?

I am trying to see if there was anyway he could actually claim ignorance or if he is saying he didnt know just so he wont be attacked and forced to resign.

One of the CEO's jobs is to look at HR reports right?

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Fuck this guy, he obviously knew what was going on all these years.

Blacklist Ubisoft game threads on this forum for now.
I mean, how do you know?
Why is it so hard for people to just say "I don't know". Why do all of you have to have an opinion about any subjects. I know that I hate sexism, harassement and all this shit, I know it happened in Ubisoft, I know many people resigned and it's good.

It's just sick and unhealthy to behave like you do. That's how horrible things happens like someone saying "this person did this horrible thing", with no proof, they everybody harrassing this person, that same person kills him/herself, and then the same persons who harrassed will be like "see, how it's bad, because all of you he killed himself, this poor innocent Angel, what a loss".

If he knew, if he covered horrible people doing horrible things, then yes he does need to resign. But do you know he did? Are you sure? Any proof? No, I dunno, you dunno.

Tired to read all those kinds of shit everyday, be humble people, accept that you don't know everything.

noatak

Oct 27, 2017
Jason specifically mentioned that Yves was in the inner circle and one employee even emailed him about the stuff and he ignored lt

Not surprising, really. I gave the only 2 possible options that come into play here. But yes, it's extremely unlikely that he wasn't aware of what was going on. All in all, the whole affair is just disgusting.

Oct 28, 2019
I don't want apologies I need actions.

He spent ten minutes detailing measures (check post no. 53) but I expect the bulk of it will wait until Accenture finishes their investigation in September.

Is it at all possible that HR hid all this from him and he actually just found out? Especially if HR was protecting higher ups rather than employees? Or is he lying?

Nah he must have known because his right-hand man has been implicated in a lot of shit.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yves isn't going anywhere and he shouldn't imo.

It's his mess and he should be the one to make up for it. Going away in a gigantic golden parachute isn't going to change one bit inside of ubisoft.

He needs to make this as open and observable as legally possible. The public needs to see these new measures making a difference.

Then, after it goes well for a few years, he can fuck off.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
SWEEPING CHANGES needed.

Hope this hurts Ubi some financially so that leadership / board makes change including firing peeps that enabled this behavior.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, really. I gave the only 2 possible options that come into play here. But yes, it's extremely unlikely that he wasn't aware of what was going on. All in all, the whole affair is just disgusting.

TBH email isnt the way to reach a CEO. Most CEO's get SO MUCH FUCKING MAIL that its hard to go through them all. It is entirely possible it got lost in the shuffle.

Though he would be getting HR reports right?

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't know one could interpret his apology as anything but "I'm sorry this turned into a PR shitstorm."
He's been protecting abusers for years, but he's only sorry now that that has been revealed.

And now I guess he's trying to protect himself.

Techno