• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
like seriously, i know TROS has a lot of problems, but i can watch it again and again and still have fun with it

the prequels are shit, but i love them nonetheless.

i dont know, seeing people shitting everything that comes out, couldn't be me. i would hate that life, honestly.

waiting optimistic for The Mandalorians season 2, Squadrons, Fallen Order Sequel. Taika's movie, Cassian's series, Obi's Series.

like, there is so much Star Wars to eat. im glad i can actually enjoy them regardless 🤷‍♂️

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the star wars that I want to see can only exist in fan works. I want the universe to actually advance and Disney does not want that to happen. For good reason probably too. If the stuff I wanted to see came to pass, the response to the Last Jedi would look probably quaint.

I like some of the stuff we're getting well enough, but nothing I love or am mega excited about.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
like seriously, i know TROS has a lot of problems, but i can watch it again and again and still have fun with it

i dont know, seeing people shitting everything that comes out, couldn't be me. i would hate that life, honestly.

waiting optimistic for The Mandalorians season 2, Squadrons, Fallen Order Sequel. Taika's movie, Cassian's series, Obi's Series.

like, there is so much Star Wars to eat. im glad i can actually enjoy them regardless 🤷‍♂️

I am in the same boat, feels good! But I do acknowledge that the last few movies had issues, I enjoy them non the less.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I agree with you. I see the faults, but Im just glad there is some Star Wars stuff being made. Too many people can be edgy about it, which is fine. I can see why people get sick of the main movies being kinda chalk full of memes - but I also can watch it and move on.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Me too man, me too.

Ignore the droves of people about to come in here to try and kill your joy. That's not to say that their criticisms of the franchise aren't valid, but if it resonates with you then continue to enjoy it!

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
TROS is complete shit and I'm glad I don't enjoy it because I'd rather be clear, honest, and critical about the things I love than blindly accepting of them.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I've long accepted that I shouldn't discuss Star Wars on the Internet because the prequels are my favourite trilogy and boomers love to come tell me I'm wrong for liking them lol

I don't love every bit of Star Wars but I do generally enjoy them. Have my issues but I focus on what I like instead of what I hate.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017

Hell yeah, I love the ST. TROS was fun as fuck and I like how it closed everything. I just wish we could see where Rey would go next at some point but it may take 30 years to heal those wounds from the fandom for the to ever get any of the cast back :(

I'd like to think you are the silent majority.

Pretty sure this is accurate and online discourse and fandom discourse is just garbo.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

I can't get through the prequels, despite being first in line and seeing them all twice in the theater when they came out.

I'm fine with them existing though, and I understand people liking them that were small kids when they came out. I drove myself and my 3 closest friends to every screening. We always go to every SW release together. We've seen all 9 mainline movies, and all the spinoffs together in the theater.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I do feel kind of bad for people who can't seem to enjoy anything. But at the same time, a lot of projects fail to live up to the hype so I can see why they become disappointed.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
You're not alone. I've been enjoying Star Wars my whole life and there's been a few periods where the popularity has waned. So I'm happy to see it out there, and a lot of it.

It doesn't bother me that others criticize it (I think most of us enjoying poking fun at parts), but I don't like when people feel the need to correct others about how bad some of the media is.

TROS is complete shit and I'm glad I don't enjoy it because I'd rather be clear, honest, and critical about the things I love than blindly accepting of them.

A deep critical analysis doesn't give anyone more of a right to like or hate a piece of art than anyone else. The only thing that matters is the individual emotional response. That's all that's required. It can be rewarding to engage in an in-depth examination of a work of art. It often leads to self discovery and opens a new avenue to find more things you might like. But anyone, for any reasons, can like a piece of art. That's why art is so great.

yeahwrite

Apr 17, 2020
My kids like all things Star Wars because they're just in it for the cool aliens and laser sword fights. So we started watching the prequels and they're so bad! Huge chunks of Phantom Menace are just like boring space politics. I remember my 8-year-old asking "Why are they attacking Obi Wan?" in the opening and me going, "Because they're envoys for the jedi order there to make sure the trade federation doesn't try to...sigh...because they're bad. They're bad aliens."

The prequels aren't good, and A New Hope isn't great either. It's it's like the R2 and C3PO show for the first 25 minutes of that film! It's not fun to watch with kids!

But the Mandalorian is rad and The Last Jedi did a lot of interesting stuff (squandered in TROS), and Empire is still a fantastic movie. I just ignore the bad stuff, mostly because I'm not the kind of nerd that tied my identity to the quality of stories in a made up universe of space wizards.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually glad I've lost a lot of my interest in the franchise.
I LOVED Star Wars all the way up to High School, but by Revenge of the Sith I was getting a bit tired of it. Then my interest came back with Force Awakens, but by the end of the ST my enthusiasm for the franchise is at an all time low.

Started watching Mandalorian and it was well made, but not really my thing So I stopped after 3 or 4 episodes. Started watching Clone Wars and had a similar reaction. No longer feel the need to rewatch TLJ for a third time to try and force myself to like it (I just don't beyond a few scenes, and that's OK!).

I still like when there are good Star Wars games (which there's been way too few this generation), or good movies (I still liked Force Awakens and Rogue One), or going to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland, but I'm glad I don't feel any obligation to CONSUME EVERYTHING anymore.

OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My kids like all things Star Wars because they're just in it for the cool aliens and laser sword fights. So we started watching the prequels and they're so bad! Huge chunks of Phantom Menace are just like boring space politics. I remember my 8-year-old asking "Why are they attacking Obi Wan?" in the opening and me going, "Because they're envoys for the jedi order there to make sure the trade federation doesn't try to...sigh...because they're bad. They're bad aliens."

The prequels aren't good, and A New Hope isn't great either. It's it's like the R2 and C3PO show for the first 25 minutes of that film! It's not fun to watch with kids!

But the Mandalorian is rad and The Last Jedi did a lot of interesting stuff (squandered in TROS), and Empire is still a fantastic movie. I just ignore the bad stuff, mostly because I'm not the kind of nerd that tied my identity to the quality of stories in a made up universe of space wizards.

hahaha love the first part of your post.

i will fight you for what you said about a new hope tho.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Me too. All the movies (Well, the prequels are rough, but I can appreciate certain parts of them), the series, the books... I'm so glad that Disney got the property and, to me, has done a great job with it. Mandalorian alone is worth it.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
You're not alone. I've been enjoying Star Wars my whole life and there's been a few periods where the popularity has waned. So I'm happy to see it out there, and a lot of it.

It doesn't bother me that others criticize it (I think most of us enjoying poking fun at parts), but I don't like when people feel the need to correct others about how bad some of the media is.

A deep critical analysis doesn't give anyone more of a right to like or hate a piece of art than anyone else. The only thing that matters is the individual emotional response. That's all that's required. It can be rewarding to engage in an in-depth examination of a work of art. It often leads to self discovery and opens a new avenue to find more things you might like. But anyone, for any reasons, can like a piece of art. That's why art is so great.

Agree, and even critical analysis doesn't have to prohibit someone from enjoying a movie. A piece of media can be flawed, but still entertaining. A lot of the internet doesn't seem to be willing to accept that. A flawed movie has to be "the worst piece of garbage I've ever seen!!!!" and anyone who likes it is stupid and doesn't know any better. Everyone wants to have the hottest take or be the most hardcore critic.

Is TROS where I would have taken the series? No. Do I think there were a lot of missed opportunities in the sequel series? Yes. Did I still find TROS entertaining? Also yes.

I'm convinced that a lot of classic movies, had they come out in modern times, would be much more harshly judged.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you OP, I've enjoyed all of the movies and the vast majority of Star Wars content I've consumed. Life's too short for me to get worked up about space magic.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sorta agree with you OP.

I rather enjoyed watching TROS.

It was only until going online and reading what people were saying about it that I began to see its (very big tbh) flaws.

Maybe im just easy to please in the moment. I don't go into Star Wars expecting Citizen Kane. Its a cool universe, space battles and laser swords.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

If you're having your kids watch the prequels, you should have them watch TCW show as well.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Same tbh. I mean, my brain won't let me process Rise of Skywalker as canon, or the Prequels as actual prequels to the Original Trilogy (like, I don't think of Hayden Christensen as Vader ever), but I can sit down and enjoy any of them for what they are.

The Prequels are super bad movies though. It's a good thing they work on the level of mindless entertainment, and have cool art design and great music. The dialog and writing are stinkers. And some of the performance, wow. Just godawful beyond belief. Every so often I feel really disappointed by the wasted potential.

Last edited:

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
To each their own opinion, I saw some flaws in the new trilogy but genuinely enjoyed it.

What I absolutely HATE is those pretentious people telling you why MUST NOT like it and start to belittle you or say you're not a "real" SW fan..leave me alone and go on :).

For me, only when SW will stop trying to please the fan (the same fan that hate them) and try to introduce a death star, a vader, a skywalker...only then Star Wars will be really good, total freedom.

I'm sorry but Rogue One, Mandalorean and Clone Wars s7 is living proof you can still do DECENT SW stuff.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I used to be all nitpicky and angry about Star Wars. The kind of nitpick that learned all the little silly details and was dismissive about them when someone got them wrong.

But you know what? That's a horrible way to watch Star Wars.

I think it was around The Last Jedi backlash it sort of hit me. Mainly because I could kind of recognize some of the tone of many of the complaints and I didn't like what I saw. So I decided to stop nitpicking. Star Wars is about fun space adventures with grand heroes and villains doing epic feats in the classical sense. So what if the "rules" had to bend or break to get to the fun?

Since then, I've gone from nitpicky fanboy to just sitting back and enjoying me some Star Wars. Some of it is good, some of it not so much. But it's fine. It's usually fun to watch anyway.

Basically, Yoda was wrong. The Dark Side of the Nitpickery does not have to forever dominate your destiny. You can turn back. And you should. This is where the fun begins. It always was.

Oct 31, 2017
Fair enough mate. I can't enjoy the majority of those films, but I won't fault anyone for enjoying them. De gustibus non est disputandum

LtOrange

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego
I'm with you OP, I enjoy pretty much everything Star Wars. It is super fun and has always been something that brings my family together.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The storm that follows these movies and hangs around like a bad smell will eventually pass.

They're going to keep making them and eventually people will get something they like or just move on.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you. I dig the OT, have dug the PT since they came out, and have enjoyed Disney's output as well but acknowledge the various issues from each of them. I think it comes from being a big fan, but not too big a fan. Like, I used to consume way more SW than I do now. Read all the books and comics, collected a fuck ton of the toys, played most of the video game, engaged in forums about it, etc... and now I just really enjoy watching the productions, read the SW and Vader comic series, barely play any of the games (not that there's much to play), and read the very occasional book. I think it's put me in a place where I can still really love the universe, but not to the point where I'm blind to it's faults, but also think of it all as silly space stories not worth getting worked up over.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I watched TROS again the other week and still really enjoyed it, I get the problems people have with it though.

yeahwrite

Apr 17, 2020
hahaha love the first part of your post.

i will fight you for what you said about a new hope tho.

lol, hey I'm with you. I was so excited to show my kids Star Wars, and then it was those two droids foreverrrrrrr. Kids these days are exposed to Star Wars so early: lightsabers and spaceships and cool aliens and awesome toys! And then A New Hope is like, "Hold on, let's watch this nerdy robot complain for a while." Wasn't a hit with my particular children. That's okay though, they were on board once Han Solo showed up.

Oct 27, 2017
I've learned to simply ignore the stuff I don't like. It's not worth getting upset about or letting it ruin what I do like.

Oct 27, 2017
The zealotry and vitriol people can exhibit for things they supposedly love will never not be wild to me. I am completely convinced that a dedicated fanbase can very much be both a gift and a curse.