• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
You say that, but by "hard" we mean something like it could take a good year of work for a single developer to properly implement the OpenType spec in such a way that properly supports non-latin languages properly, and even then you're liekly to have a massive amount of complex issues. That spec is absurdly complex and verbose and difficult to properly test and verify unless you're a native speaker of all the languages you're working with (which basically no one is), to the point that even big companies like Serif who create popular desktop design & publishing packages (Affinity) don't support it properly right now. Creative Cloud & Windows have fantastic support because Microsoft & Adobe literally create the OpenType spec (and likewise anything that uses the DirectWrite API on Windows for text rendering), but outside of them things can get ropey fast.

For subtitles anyway. Voice actors are a different story, shouldn't be that hard to find a suitable VA =P

This.

It's an issue, and it leaves a lot to be desired, but before you get enraged, try and understand why and how the problem came to be.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's a form of Stockholm syndrome but I speak and/or understand 2 other languages, including one in my native tongue, and I'm never upset when I hear people speaking it. I remember this came up a lot during breaking bad and also Narcos with Escobar, like it really seemed to bother native speakers. But for me, when I even hear an actor attempting or doing a half decent job I'm just impressed/satisfied that they gave it a go.

Of course, when someone actually hires native speaking actors, or the rare occasion that a non native actor nails it, I'm even more satisfied and impressed. I just never related to the outrage. The worst I'll feel is laughter at how silly it is.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I can't speak for Arabic specifically, but this is why I'm so appreciative that Punch-Out!! brought in native speakers. Besides showing a level of respect for a group beyond just treating them as a tool for your storytelling, it gives an opportunity for another set of eyes to adjust the lines of the people who would understand them.
I never knew that. That's really cool.

I mean, I've always wanted a new Punch Out game, but that makes me imagine a new one where they even go so far as to collaborate with developers from those other countries to help design each country's contestant for the game. I would love to see what a bunch of different countries would come up with for boxers.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I'll never forgive Naughty Dog for how they botched the Arab accents in Uncharted 3, Yemeni NPCs with Levantine features and Egyptian accents, worst of all that they call Ramses a Yemeni too, also the obligatory Google translated signs with generic fonts, at least the settings looks phenomenal.

I remember me and my brother laughing our asses off during the Yemen level in U3. Wrong and fucked up accents everywhere and I can't blame the actors in the game. A lot of background VAs have no idea of the projects they sign up for and are just brought to the studio to record generic lines obviously written by a writer who doesn't understand the language with little to no direction.

Like if you brought a single random Arab person from the streets and had them play that level, they'd easily been able to point out the mistakes. These AAA games with their expensive af production values and large budgets can't get basic details right.

Last edited:

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
We also need Street Fighter characters speaking their native languages as well. I highly regard Tekken in this aspect. I know interactions would make little sense but the SF story is mental anyway. Either that or have the character speak their languages during the actual fighting with attack moves and taunts.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I'm re-playing the Modern Warfare campaign and I'm really getting sick of having to read subtitles to understand wtf supposedly Arab-speaking characters are saying (I'm a native Arabic speaker FWIW). It's bad enough that most of the baddies in these games are stereotypical evil Arab characters that I have to shoot and kill, the least you can do is pay Arab actors to play their roles. Instead I have to deal with actors who clearly can't speak a lick of Arabic (looking at you Farah) pretending to represent characters from the region. Why is this so hard? You wouldn't hire an Italian actor to play a Spanish-speaking character, so why is it OK to hire non-Arabic speaking actors to play Arab-speaking roles?
OP, I stopped my MW2 playthrough because I got tired of the american soldiers killing poor stereotypical brazilians

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I'm re-playing the Modern Warfare campaign and I'm really getting sick of having to read subtitles to understand wtf supposedly Arab-speaking characters are saying (I'm a native Arabic speaker FWIW). It's bad enough that most of the baddies in these games are stereotypical evil Arab characters that I have to shoot and kill, the least you can do is pay Arab actors to play their roles. Instead I have to deal with actors who clearly can't speak a lick of Arabic (looking at you Farah) pretending to represent characters from the region. Why is this so hard? You wouldn't hire an Italian actor to play a Spanish-speaking character, so why is it OK to hire non-Arabic speaking actors to play Arab-speaking roles?
THANK YOU for making this. Several times I made a similar thread about this. The bad Arabic with Farah is egregious.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand spanish pretty well but am not spanish myself and it is so cringy to hear the "bad mexican" enemies talk. To a lesser extent it is the same with "bad brazillian" enemies although I could argue that it's brazil's own fault for ruining such a nice language.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
In the world of acting, it always comes down to who can do the best stereotypical accent in order to land the role. It's why Kumail Nanjiani didn't get the role of Dopinder in the Deadpool movies, despite how funny he is as a comedian.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought they did a great job with AC Odyssey and Greek accents, but it's one of the few examples, made it feel really authentic instead of Greeks with British accents in films.

I wonder whether part of it is just the difficulty of getting voice actors with certain accents.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Last edited:

topchill

Oct 28, 2017
Was just thinking about a similar issue with any of the caribbean languages, in particular haitian creole. Was expecting Bad Boys-level butchery in Cyberpunk 2077, but was pleasantly surprised that much of it was passable.

I think Brigitte and Placide VAs were either not Haitian or diaspora, but NPC dialogue was surprisingly good. Not bad for a language that is regularly mishandled in western media.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped buying games with arabic *characters* or background,
Always shown as bad people, living in the stone age, kill , kill and more kill. Pathatic.

Just like uncharted , They went to Yemen and the NPC speaks Syrian Dialect . It was so bad and stupid dialog , Just like watching a bad soap opera.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely don't care, and it's just that evident. I will never forget how Rockstar decided Max Payne 3 would take place in Brazil, and hired Portuguese, Uruguayan, Nigerian and even American actors to voice its Brazilian characters. It was a mess.

Oct 19, 2018
united stadians developers only care bout their language.
Not even really then either... its very rare to hear Southeastern characters and accents that aren't treated as an exaggerated parody... I'm sure there are people in other US regions with similar complaints. At the end of the day though these people are actors, and it seems weird to totally box them in and not allow them to act as anything other than themselves. It really just depends on the project I suppose but it does make one wonder why a wider net isn't cast more often; I'm certain finding a suitable actor who comes from the proper background, or knows the language, can't be too difficult - its just a matter of making a little bit of effort. That being said even if you get a region correct actor to perform a character written in a stereotypical manner there would still obviously be a problem, there's a writing issue at play as well.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch's Ana is on a league of her own, glad they didn't go for a newscaster arabic with her like the Tekken guy.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed with people mentioning Ana. Her arabic is really good. It sounds like an actual Egyptian instead of someone attempting to speak with egyptian dialect.

I think devs should make their character the same nationality as their actor and make them speak with their own dialect instead. That would be the best way to represent arabic.
It's an Arabic country.
What?

Pakistan doesn't speak Arabic.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't bother me as a south Asian, though. Look the part and sound the part? Go for it, you're just _acting_ so I got no beef, honestly.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Pakistan isn't an Arab country... It's (South) Asian. They speak Urdu/Punjabi/English and numerous others but it's not an Arab or Arabic country.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I remember this with GTA IV, when Niko talks Serbian and just does everything wrong, pausing mid sentence, pronouncing everything as wrong as you could possibly do, etc.

It's all at the start of the game, too, so whenever I boot that up for whatever reason (most recently, BC and 60 fps on XSX), it hits me again.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
I'm from Italy and I've seen several american TV shows with Italian speaking characters portraited by non-italian actors or Italian Americans actors that are not even remotely able to speak Italian.

I find it funny waaaaay more than offensive.
As well as for the hand gesture jokes about Italians.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going by what my Pakistani realtives and friends have told me. When I say realtives, they are relatives by marriage. I'm on the phone right now with my brother in law who was born and raised there and he's telling me they are.

My background is Pakistani as well. It's an Asian country. Noone in my extended family ever identify Pakistan as anything but Asian, never Arab. Pakistan and the Asian country India used to be one and the same. You telling me India is also Arab?

Google:
The
Arab World
consists of 22
countries
in the
Middle East
and North Africa: Algeria, Bahrain, the Comoros Islands, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, the United
Arab Emirates, and Yemen.

Now I'm curious why your relatives think they are Arab.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Your Pakistani relatives and friends think they are Arabs?
I'm just going by what they say. I didn't think Pakistani were Arabs until I moved to the UK and the ones I know claim they are. So don't blame me..

This is absurd and your relatives need to open an atlas or something. My background is Pakistani as well. It's an Asian country. Noone is my extended family ever identify Pakistan as anything but Asian, never Arab. Pakistan and the Asian country India used to be one and the same. You telling me India is also Arab?

Google:
The
Arab World
consists of 22
countries
in the
Middle East
and North Africa: Algeria, Bahrain, the Comoros Islands, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Mauritania, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, the United
Arab
Emirates, and Yemen.

Yo why you coming at me? I'm just saying what they told me so maybe you should have a word with them.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going by what they say. I didn't think Pakistani were Arabs until I moved to the UK and the ones I know claim they are. So don't blame me..

Yo why you coming at me? I'm just saying what they told me so maybe you should have a word with them.

Apologies, I edited it out as well.

You moved to the UK as well? That makes things even more weird. As a UK, Londoner with a Pakistani background myself, none of my family ever call themselves anything but Pakistani Asian. I've never met a Pakistani here that says they are Arab. First for everything I suppose.

Sep 9, 2020
I'm going by what my Pakistani realtives and friends have told me. When I say realtives, they are relatives by marriage. I'm on the phone right now with my brother in law who was born and raised there and he's telling me they are.
Sounds like he must be confused. Maybe his parents moved there and aren't native Pakistani? Most Pakistanis would be closer to Indians in ethnicity due to historical reasons.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Apologies, I edited it out as well.

You moved to the UK as well? That makes things even more weird. As a UK, Londoner with a Pakistani background myself, none of my family ever call themselves anything but Pakistani Asian. I've never met a Pakistani here that says they are Arab. First for everything I suppose.
Yes I was living in Miami, Florida for majority of my life before I moved to the UK. My wife is from Mauritius and her sister is married to a Pakistani and that's how I've come to know a lot of Pakistanis. I've been here for 14 years now and been living in Croydon. I originally didn't think Pakisanis were Arabs until I was told otherwise. I'm not one to get into arguments with people about where they are from so I just left it.

Sounds like he must be confused. Maybe his parents moved there and aren't native Pakistani? Most Pakistanis would be closer to Indians in ethnicity due to historical reasons.
You might have a point, I remember he said his dad was from Iran and moved to Pakistan while his mum was a native there. Maybe that's why he says he is an Arab. Man, sorry if I offended anyone.

Last edited:

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017

main-qimg-8f7bfa54aecc0193183bba9befec7d38.webp

These 22 countries are officially recognized as the Arab states.

While there's may be a bit of debate around exactly where to draw the boundary, there really isn't any debate that Iran and anything east of it definitely aren't Arab countries.

There are Islamic countries that may speak Arabic as a second language, but none which is culturally or linguistically Arabic by any definition.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, it happens to every non-English language it seems -_-
It happens with French too, also in movies.
Happens with accents too. I could count on my fingers the amount of Irish characters played by Irish people rather than "American/Canadian/Brit putting on a questionable accent".

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I never knew that. That's really cool.

I mean, I've always wanted a new Punch Out game, but that makes me imagine a new one where they even go so far as to collaborate with developers from those other countries to help design each country's contestant for the game. I would love to see what a bunch of different countries would come up with for boxers.
Yeah, I was definitely thinking something similar. There are certain cultural habits that people within the culture find distinctive and funny; that's part of the popularity of ethnic comedians. You can keep the comedic tone and reduce the offensiveness of the game by grabbing more of those jokes that are less likely to be used by people outside.

I haven't thought up anything that I feel you can use in the context of boxing, but for example, Indian etiquette can draw out some hilarious situations. It's often seen a polite to give gifts but impolite to accept them, so I'm constantly seeing my family bickering as they try to do something nice for each other and then almost resort to blows to get them to actually accept it. Or there's the time that my uncle accidentally insulted a guest because he offered the guest a beer, and then after the guest said no, he didn't give him a beer.

Involving more devs could help draw the humour away from often dated and overly narrow external stereotypes and make the characters more distinctive.