• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Right now I work two jobs, and they take about 14 hours out of my day, and I'm really not happy about it because of how it's been impacting the way I play. I used to spend 8 hours at work and then 10 hours at home grinding at fighting games, because I needed to get better. Unfortunately, payments started to pile up for me, so now I'm spending only two hours each a day and I'm noticing just how poorly I'm performing and how loss are becoming more and more of an occurrence.

Let me be clear that I am not at all okay with the idea of being bad at fighting games, I've sunk a decade+ into this genre and for me to be bad at the genre would mean I've wasted that much of my life with nothing to show for it. Being good at fighting games is a necessity at this point, and I don't know how I can start seeing improvements at this point unless I focus all of my time towards it

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
How

wait

what

You need a job for rent, food and to keep the lights on to play fighting games, but you're quitting both your jobs? Are you competing in tournaments or something? Is this a troll thread?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Find some at home work you can do at your own pace so you have an income or maybe just quit one job and make the other part time so you are not screwing yourself to nothing

rare

Oct 25, 2017
I've played fighting games for the past 15 years and I'm garbage.

Why would you even CONSIDER this.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This can not be real?!
On the off chance it is, unless fighting games are paying your bills, you absolutely should not quit all of your jobs to focus on games.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
How're you gonna play your fighting games when you can't pay for electricity? Is this a parody thread or something

Oct 27, 2017
Let me be clear that I am not at all okay with the idea of being bad at fighting games, I've sunk a decade+ into this genre and for me to be bad at the genre would mean I've wasted that much of my life with nothing to show for it. Being good at fighting games is a necessity at this point, and I don't know how I can start seeing improvements at this point unless I focus all of my time towards it
Sunk cost fallacy.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Unless you got someone to sponsor you and or the funds reserved to be able to do this then

DO NOT DO THIS .

DO NOT

CAPCOM WONT BE BACK IF YOU DO THIS

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
How about drop games entirely and work on fixing your life and wellbeing?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I suggest you become ok with the idea of being bad at fighting games.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't professional gamers get worse with age? Maybe you're fighting a losing battle...You can't beat time....

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Just stream your playtime if you're good enough and you may get a small chance to make it full-time. No need to quit your jobs and become homeless in a month.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
How

wait

what

You need a job for rent, food and to keep the lights on to play fighting games, but you're quitting both your jobs? Are you competing in tournaments or something? Is this a troll thread?
No, this isn't a troll thread. I don't even know what kind of thread this is. A cry for help? I don't know. But anytime I start to lose in fighting games it puts me in the most vile unhealthy fucking mindset and it's let to me posting even more threads like this on this forum in the past and I've even punished myself physically for being at fighting games. I just want to be good, that don't want all of that time I've put towards it to have been a waste that resulted in nothing

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone has the talent. That's not something that can just be learned. It's not something that you can just bang away at and eventually you'll rise to the top. No matter how much some may train, they'll never be able to compete among the best.

It can be a futile effort.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Do it.

Without money for rent you will be homeless and have to fight on the streets.

Like a STREET FIGHTER

edstub207

Oct 22, 2019
Big yikes.

For you to play the games. You gotta work to pay for electrics, online etc. You need at least one of those jobs. And if you needed two for the payments you probs need both or one better paid job.

The games should be the thing you let go of. Not the roof over your head.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have been playing fighting games since the Street Fighter 2 days. I have never thought of dropping income to focus on it. Do not do this you will regret it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't mean to be disrespectful but it is at this point that I would suggest perhaps seeing a therapist about this. This seems very destructive.
Changing your lifestyle does not mean you wasted all the life you've lived before.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
No, this isn't a troll thread. I don't even know what kind of thread this is. A cry for help? I don't know. But anytime I start to lose in fighting games it puts me in the most vile unhealthy fucking mindset and it's let to me posting even more threads like this on this forum in the past and I've even punished myself physically for being at fighting games. I just want to be good, that don't want all of that time I've put towards it to have been a waste that resulted in nothing
Maybe stop playing fighting games.

Uh, "punished myself physically"??

Get some help, right away

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And why is it a necessity to be good at fighting games? Is your career in fighting games? If not, then you need to think about your priorities a little more responsibly.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
If you're not already whooping ass at your local scene on a regular basis, then please don't quit your day job. Actually, you can quit your day job if you keep the night one.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018

I know there are a lot of jokes going on in this thread, but if you are serious I heavily recommend talking to a professional about this addiction - and it is an addiction if you are seriously considering putting your wellbeing at risk because of games and feel as though it's a requirement for you.

I'll leave it there, but please do think long and hard about this and consider talking to someone not online.

This is not a healthy mindset.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight:

- You couldn't make ends meet with one job so you needed a second
- You're now considering quitting them *both* because.... you need to be good at fighting games?

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if you are confident enough in your skills to compete, get a sponsorship or something to help pay the bills. Cash payouts from tournaments is very minimal and most players you see are making their money from streams, subscribers, sponsorships, etc.

Also, the FGC has the worst payouts of all eSports.

Status
Not open for further replies.