• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I just learned my Great Dane, D'hani, has dilated cardiomyopathy. All we have left is a little bit of time... months, a year... I don't know.

I made this thread a couple years ago after saying goodbye to my heart dog, Boots...

www.resetera.com

I lost my heart and soul. My best friend. I love you Boots, 5/26/2008 - 6/21/2018

Tonight I made the soul crushing decision of having to let my best friend who has given me endless amounts of joy and unconditional love, a best friend who has meant so much to me and saved me at a point in my life I needed it most, cross the rainbow bridge to run free and happy and pain free...

And now I'm doing it again. I just want to end it all and can't be bothered to go on. I'm destroyed... it's just too much

I love him so much and regret every time I got a little annoyed with him because he just wanted some more love and attention. Fucking hate myself.

7Pkoktg.jpg

Love you, my sweet handsome loving boy. I'm so sorry that I didn't do more for you.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
OP, I'm so sorry. This is such a difficult thing to go through. I had to do it about a year ago and I'm tearing up trying to type this because it still feels so bad.

But you brought love and happiness to their lives and as long as you're around you can continue to do that for others. I think you're wonderful because of how much you care.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Sorry to hear.
That is the heart breaking thing with pets. Cats and dogs just don't live long enough. The larger breeds of dogs especially have just a short lifespan. Even after a couple of losses in your lifetime, it just doesn't get any easier.
My condolences.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's awful you're going through that again OP :(

Putting down a pet dog can be heart-wrenching. Even if logically you might be doing the right thing, emotionally you feel guilty and like an asshole.

Keep in mind what the ugly alternatives would be if you let your dog suffer though. Time heals the wounds, too, though no one ever knows how much time it'll take to feel okay again

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Losing a beloved pet is really difficult šŸ˜„. I'm glad that you still have a little time together.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Don't hate yourself buddy you seem like a great person and it will get better trust me. Carry their memory and keep moving forward.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I'm so sorry OP

It's not about how much time you've spent or time you've got with him. You gave him love and a home , and a life if we're perfectly honest. You did everything right , and he knows that and feels loved.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Losing a pet can be very hard. My condolences OP.

Please don't give up on yourself. Be thankful for the wonderful times you had together and cherish the memories rather than live with needless regret. We're here for you.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's been 2 years since I put my girl down and it still hurts. I haven't moved on but I know I will.. someday. I feel for you OP.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Ah man, i totally feel for you. I was in the same position when my cat had cancer. She had a few months to live and she knew it. She would follow me everywhere all over the house never wanting to be by herself in those last months.
It's been 8 years, and it's something you can't really get over. In the end just think about the love and good times you both experienced.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
What a wonderful boy. At least you found out before his time arrives so you can spoil him rotten for the rest of his life.

I've had a couple generations of wonderful dogs now, and I will say it's never easy to lose a furry family member. I drew a great deal of comfort from this small exchange at the end of the Vincent Van Gogh episode of Doctor Who:

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
And I'm sure D'hani has a big ol' pile of good things built up in her life thanks to your love.

R.P. McMurphy

May 8, 2019
Oh, what a handsome boy. I grew up with Danes and my parents still rescue them, and they have such a goofy personality. He looks so happy in that picture.

You have my sympathies, OP. Every time I lose a dog, I always feel like I'm losing a part of my heart. Cherish the time you have left with him and try not to feel guilty over the times you have gotten annoyed with him. The wonderful thing about dogs is they live in the moment, and I can assure you that he is not thinking about the times you have gotten annoyed. So instead of being hard on yourself, try to focus on all of the love you've shown him in his life and just continue to shower him with love.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Very sorry to hear that OP. One of our dogs (my wifes)officially got diagnosed with cancer on July 13th at the age of 6, after he had been acting off for a week prior. We chose not to go through chemo and only treat the pain with Predisone and they gave us a timeframe of 2-4 more months. Well, he started coughing up blood last Tuesday and we phoned our vet and made the appointment to get him put down, since we didn't want to see him suffer.

It was an agonizing experience, and we are still grieving, but for us it was a good reminder to cherish the moments we get with our dogs and other people while we have them. We will be taking the lessons learned with him into our inevitable next dogs, since we are a dog household through and through. Since it was my wifes first dog, she is taking it especially hard and is doing everything she can to make sure she remembers him well, including making a wonderful shadowbox for him we are going to hang on the wall.

I hope you enjoy every moment you have left with your dog, dogs are amazing animals and it is so hard to lose them. If you ever feel like you need someone to talk to one on one, don't hesitate to reach out.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I knew a guy with an Irish Wolfhound and it's sad when you find out they're ahead of the curve if you can get 9 years from a male Wolfhound. They just don't live long, and no matter how much you prepare yourself, it's never easy when the time comes.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry to hear about your Great Dane OP. I lost my buddy in March. My tag name is named after her(Sassy). I had to start therapy to get through her loss. My wife has also done therapy. The sessions have been very helpful getting us through grieving.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry. I know how hard it is. I had to put my dog down last week. It sucked. She became very anemic and weak, and at 12 years old the options of blood transfusions weren't feasible.

I had her since she was a couple of months. Holding her in my arms while the vet put her to sleep was extremely brutal. Even now, a week later, I'm still going into the room she slept in out of habit to check on her before bed and when I wake up :(

A side story: When I called my primary vet about an emergency visit, they told me the vet already saw a few emergencies that day and they wanted me to drop my dog off the next morning and they would get to her when they can. This was after explaining that I needed to take my dog in because she wouldn't stand up. They wanted me to just drop my sick dog off and let her lay there apparently. I took my dog to a different emergency vet and they showed more compassion in the hour I interacted with them then my primary vet ever did. While I was waiting at the emergency vet, I guess they called my primary and my primary called me telling me to make sure my dog fasts before tomorrow. These fuckers had to be shifty as fuck instead of just calling to see how my dog was. Its the only time I left a Yelp review, and it was negative as fuck.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'm sorry for your loss OP for what it's worth it seems like your dogs were well loved and cared for. I hope that things get better but until then my DMs are open if you need someone to talk to.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

I'm really sorry, OP. My wife and I had to say goodbye to our 13 yr old Aussie a couple years ago and it was absolutely devastating. The times where I think about him and start crying have certainly declined in frequency, but it hasn't dropped to zero. We finally got a new dog a few weeks ago and it's been wonderful having him around. You will never forget D'hani and he has surely never doubted that you love him. Do what you can to make his remaining time happy. He will do the same for you. Time heals all wounds.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I feel you friend

I lost my best friend march last year. He was just 5 1/2 years young.
It was the most painful period in my life...I kept crying and crying. Nothing made any sense to me. I didn't eat, I didn't sleep well and I didn't go to work. It took me nearly a month to go back to "normal".

I miss him so much I'm crying writing this.

Two months after the death of my buddy, fate brought me a new friend. Friends told me about this dog who needed a new home. His owners where splitting up and no one wanted to take the dog. They decided to bring the dog to a shelter but a friend of mine told them about me and they thought it was worth a try.

I drove hundreds of km on that day and took the dog with me the same day. I lost my best friend and he was about to loose his family so it was a perfect match. Now we are best buds and and when I miss my old buddy and start crying, the new one comes up to me and snuggles with me...

Losing my dog was the most painful thing in my life...but there is always something to keep going

OP
OP
Soliloquy of a Dogge
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could respond to all of you guys individually - just really tough right now.

Thank you everyone for all the messages, the stories and the experiences you've gone through as well and the offers to reach out if I need to.

I've run out of tears as I've been crying so much and appreciate all of the thoughts and encouraging words. Really thankful. Still waiting on results and treatment plans for the best quality of life etc.

GringoJB

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hey OP, not to pile on, but just wanted to let you know that I'm right there with you. From the way that you speak about him, I know that you actively give that guy an amazing life, and that's all that our animal friends ever want in this world. I know you'll continue to do so and, if you have to make decisions about his quality of life, you'll make them out of compassion and love.

One week ago today, I said goodbye to my good buddy Marshall, a cat I had for 16-something years. He was diabetic (gave him two insulin shots a day for years), but had some other issues at the very end which came on very quickly and were just insurmountable. I was just glad that I was home when he got very sick, and I was able to take him to the vet to weigh options and make the best decision. I was lucky to have compassionate, caring people around me, which is what I hope that you can have here and in-person.

I'm always here if you want to reach out!

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very sorry to hear that! Losing a pet is awful. I hope you take comfort in knowing that you gave him an awesome life (despite getting annoyed at him occasionally) and made his life better than it otherwise would have been.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Lost 2 cats this year in March weeks from each other right as covid hit, we didn't even have time to properly mourn them with how chaotic life was at the time. I'm so sorry for your loss op.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for your loss OP. I've gone through it 3 times. It's never easy. Enjoy your time left, create some long lasting memories. If he can't walk anymore or shouldn't, get a wagon and go on some long walks.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I'm so sorry to hear that, OP. One of my dogs also has a heart condition due to an elargement from degenerative valve disease. On top of that, he has a collapsing trachea which causes him to have coughing fits. He's on 5 different medications to treat both, and due to his heart he can't have surgery performed on his trachea. This was all discovered back in October last year, and my wife and I lost it.

Here we are about 9 months later and we're just taking it a day at a time. Expensive pills, cardiologist appointments every six months, and counting breaths when he's asleep. Other than the coughing fits, his activity level hasn't decreased which is fortunate, but we dread the day. I had to put my dog of 11 years down back in 2017, and we've only had this little guy for 3 years since we rescued him (he's probably about 8 years old, and today is his third anniversary with us). It absolutely sucks, but do whatever you can with the time you have left. Best wishes to you.

Roodiculous

Oct 27, 2017
So sorry, OP! I just went through a difficult loss of my own, we had her for 14 great years. You're not alone! Cherish the moment and memories.

A couple of months of sadness and grief will never replace the pure joy we were given for those 14 years. Stay strong!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I can't imagine what that feels like for you but please don't beat yourself up for this. I think you both know you love each and that definitely will keep the love alive.

I'm sending you virtual hugs OP
šŸ¤—šŸ¤—šŸ¤—

Stellares

Oct 27, 2017
My sweet ten year old dog charlie was put to sleep last week. I am devestated. He was living with my parents across the country so i didn't get to him in time to say goodbye. We thought he was going to recover from itp but he just got worse when he got home and we could not see him in pain like that.

His brother is left behind and he has his own health issues. They were with me through so many hard times and have beautiful hearts. It hurts so much

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I'm so sorry. Losing my dog a few years ago was one of the worst days of my life and lead me to have a complete mental breakdown. Wishing you the best, it's incredibly difficult.

Jun 20, 2018
I've been allergic to pretty much every kind of pet with hair since I was a baby, so never had a dog. I'm ashamed to say I didn't get people's emotional attachment to their dogs, until my brother got his a few years ago. Now stories like this upset me. I know your dog loves you more than anything though, and you have no reason at all to feel bad for not being good enough for him.

Oct 30, 2017
I feel for you OP. Not that long ago, I lost my dog of 16 years. It sucks, and I still get choked up over it. You'll get through it though. Best of luck.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I am so sorry. I just lost my 14 year old cat to the same thing. It is going to be very hard OP, losing someone you love is always hard but don't feel bad for the times you got upset or annoyed at your dog, think about all the love and care you gave to him. Spoil him rotten and love him as much as you can for the time he has left. As hard as it is, when he is gone, think of the good times with him and how he added to your life.

As much as it hurts now, the pain will ease little by little and there will be another dog out there that needs the wonderful home you can give him or her. My husband and I are now starting to look at cats/dog to adopt because as much as I miss my Darien, there are other animals out there that I can add to my life and that need a loving home.

If you are seriously feeling suicidal, please seek help or feel free to PM me. I am an animal lover and have lost many pets in my life-a dog, many many cats, parrots and more.

Sending you huge hugs OP.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely brutal everytime, I'm really sorry OP. I've been told my dog only has a few months left too, it's absolutely heartbreaking.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Sympathies to you. My dog was having a hard time walking on our wood floors back in May, so I took her to get her nails clipped. I couldn't go in due to Covid, but the person doing the clipping said she died on the table. It was awful to not have been in there to see what actually happened and to have been with her in her final moments.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'm sure D'hani is just so happy that he's had such a loving person taking care of him these past few years; we should all be so lucky.

I'm sorry you're going through this OP, it's never easy when a member of your family gets sick. The important thing to do now is to savor what time you have left.

I wish you all the best.

SRV

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 29, 2017
D'hani is a beautiful dog, OP! Don't be so hard on yourself, I bet you have given him the best life.
It's been 2 years since I put my girl down and it still hurts. I haven't moved on but I know I will.. someday. I feel for you OP.
I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat as you. We put our wee girl to sleep two years ago also.

We were very close to adopting another at the end of last year but all the memories and pain came rushing in and I panicked and just couldn't go through with it. I'm not sure I will ever be able to.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Sorry OP that sucks. I lost my best friend (Kitty!) in April of that same year you lost your other dog. He was 18 and it was horrible. So I feel your pain.

He looks like a beautiful boy!

It's worse when you have have pets within a few years of each other because as long as no health issues come up you are likely to have back to back or close together loses (I lost 3 cats in 3 years once).

Focus on what time he has left, love it, enjoy it, and spoil the shit out of him!

There are so many pet owners out there that could give two shits about their pets. Be happy that you gave him a loving happy home for as long as you did because so many do not get that!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry OP. I got my very first dog in my life last October and I can't imagine going a single day without him now. I know I will be in shambles some day, but all I can do is enjoy the time I do have with him. Thats all you can do too. Enjoy it and make sure his last days are his best days.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I've been there OP. I'm so sorry. It's a pain and heartache few people truly understand.

Free yourself of any guilt. You don't need that compounding your sadness. You gave that dog a lovely, loving life. That's the best thing you could do for any animal. You are a lucky person. D'hani is a lucky dog.

You cared for and loved a little soul. Whatever comes next for D'hani, well, you've made sure that they go toward it with a momentum of love (if you believe in that kind of thing).

Those of us who have loved and love our pets grieve with you and feel for you. I'm so sorry bud. You'll be okay. Cherish your moments with D'hani and be thankful you got to be the one to nurture that life with love and care.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I wish I could give you a hug, losing a family member is heartbreaking.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
You're in my thoughts. I've been there and it's the worst. Feeling so much shows how much of a good caretaker you were to him/her.