• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the full package. It's like nothing good was left out during development. The pacing and gameplay are all really just perfect. I can replay this game over and over again and never really get tired of it. I don't think there is a single thing about it that i dislike.

It's 2019 and this game still puts so many other games to shame, including most future RE games.

A1PW.gif

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I came to this realization awhile ago. RE4 was basically the peak of SD game development. A linear game of its size and ambition is pretty much impossible in the HD era.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Totally agree. Only TLoU has come anywhere close to capturing such a feeling for me... and that was 2013.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I recently tried replaying it and could only get through about an hour of it. The controls are just horrible. The game is in need of a remake with decent controls.

Oct 25, 2017
I try to comfort myself with the reminder that even if such a game did come out, I wouldn't love it as much as RE4 because nothing will be as exciting to me as the stuff I played when I was younger.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think a game like Resident Evil 4 comes out very, very rarely. I agree with your sentiment that it's a "perfect" game. But I do think other games have reached a similar echelon. I would say Uncharted 2 is equally successful at reaching that peak.

People will have other opinions of similarly "perfect" gaming experiences and of course it's all subjective. But I think RE4 offers a certain standard that is rarely reached even if people have different opinions of what that standard is.

Presice

Mar 1, 2018
I enjoyed playing it but after I was done, I didn't want to pick it up again. I think one reason is that I didn't enjoy the setting/environment of the game. I played the original RE4, not the remake, so maybe the older graphics made the experience worse.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've played plenty of titles that are the "full package, top to bottom" since RE4.

But list wars are pretty unproductive so I'll just leave it at that.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I prefer RE2 Remake.

Does that make it more perfect?

Also, I need to replay RE4 again this year. I lost count how many times I replayed RE2 Remake.

Flayer

Oct 28, 2017
RE4 is an incredible game and an all-time great but in the Resident Evil series RE2 remake is the better game. The original RE2 benefits hugely moving to the more action and gunplay oriented gameplay that started with RE4 so its definitely a team effort.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
To the people saying Bloodborne: I love Bloodborne but I have a hard time saying it reaches the brand of perfection we're talking about with of RE4. Even just from a technical perspective it falls short, wouldn't you say? This isn't a dig at Bloodborne, which is a seminal and transformative gaming experience, but I don't think I can say a game where people's mouths don't move when they speak and and your sword is constantly clipping through your clothes delivers on the concept of perfection.

Bloodborne, for all its wonder, would still benefit from refinement and minor revision. RE4, not so much. I can't think of anything I'd want improved.

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is an incredible game and an all-time great but in the Resident Evil series RE2 remake is the better game. The original RE2 benefits hugely moving to the more action and gunplay oriented gameplay that started with RE4 so its definitely a team effort.
I disagree. RE2 remake is strong on its own merits but the combat feels barebones and the boss fights are pretty bad because they all have moves that need to be dodged but your character doesn't have modern movement options. I liked RE2 remake a lot but the combat made me resentful that they didn't provide just a little more mechanical depth. Nothing like Re6 or even the melee system of Re4, just something to make it feel like you aren't just wasting a random number of bullets by engaging in combat.

DarkTom

Nov 9, 2017
Perfect game with tank controls sounds crazy to me, but hey, glad a lot of players enjoyed it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me that game is, sort of, Doom. Its gameplay loop is practically perfect as far as I'm concerned, even despite the technical limitations it feels logical and predictable in a way. I only don't say Doom as a game because I'm mostly into the formula: not all maps are flawless, and between the first 2 (and a half) games there's a couple levels I'd rather not replay from time to time.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I just replayed RE4 two days ago and the game is indeed amazing. It's a shame that I can't get into the newer RE games, I was so in the mood for more and I can't get anything like it, aside RE5 which is mad short.

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 4 isn't perfect.

See: The Island section.

It's pretty good though, even if it's not my favorite in the series. I find it funny that people complain about the direction the series takes after this game, but never actually blame this game for inspiring that change due to it's huge success. Also RE6 was hardly perfect but I had more fun playing it over and over than 4, so I'm a weirdo.

Doom 2016 had a near perfect gameplay loop and pacing as well imo. Bloodborne as well. Interesting that both have been mentioned already.

Oct 28, 2017
LMAO at people saying RE2 Remake. It's not even the best survival horror RE. It's not even the best RE remake. It's not even the best game with the title Resident Evil 2!

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I came to this realization awhile ago. RE4 was basically the peak of SD game development. A linear game of its size and ambition is pretty much impossible in the HD era.
A Game like this would be perfectly possible nowadays if developers focused on the actually important aspects of game development instead of graphics.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I mostly agree, Re4 is not my favorite game but I enjoy it a lot and it has amazing graphics, amazing pacing, amazing level design, really good gameplay... It's the full package and it's really polished too.

To the people saying Bloodborne: I love Bloodborne but I have a hard time saying it reaches the brand of perfection we're talking about with of RE4. Even just from a technical perspective it falls short, wouldn't you say? This isn't a dig at Bloodborne, which is a seminal and transformative gaming experience, but I don't think I can say a game where people's mouths don't move when they speak and and your sword is constantly clipping through your clothes delivers on the concept of perfection.

Bloodborne, for all its wonder, would still benefit from refinement and minor revision. RE4, not so much. I can't think of anything I'd want improved.
Exactly my thoughts, BB has several technical issues that are noticeable and hamper the gameplay. Also it's basically a Dark Souls re-skin, as good as it, it wasn't a big jump in gameplay/presentation like RE4 was, not even close. I feel that Sekiro is closer to Re4 , and it's the real FROM masterpiece after Dark Souls, but that's another topic for another day.

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 4 isn't perfect.

See: The Island section.
Island section is fantastic. Any other game would kill to have a section of the game half as good as the island. Every chapter of the Island is top quality. Only the final boss disappoints. Enemy and encounter design is top notch and has many memorable moments. Some of the best parts of the game happen on the Island.

Oct 28, 2017
I mostly agree, Re4 is not my favorite game but I enjoy it a lot and it has amazing graphics, amazing pacing, amazing level design, really good gameplay... It's the full package and it's really polished too.

Exactly my thoughts, BB has several technical issues that are noticeable and hamper the gameplay. Also it's basically a Dark Souls re-skin, as good as it, it wasn't a big jump in gameplay/presentation like RE4 was, not even close. I feel that Sekiro is closer to Re4 , and it's the real FROM masterpiece after Dark Souls, but that's another topic for another day.
I second the Sekiro love. Fantastic game.

Oct 27, 2017
Island section is fantastic. Any other game would kill to have a section of the game half as good as the island. Every chapter of the Island is top quality. Only the final boss disappoints. Enemy and encounter design is top notch and has many memorable moments. Some of the best parts of the game happen on the Island.

I don't like it, just my opinion. It had cool moments like the Regenerators but I didn't enjoy the switch in enemy types and felt it was dragging too long by that point. If I had to pick a section to remove it would probably be the castle one because there was some dumb shit that occurred in that part. Island would've worked better for me if it came before castle I think.

But, it's been along time since I've played it and because of your post I'm going to go back and give it a run through again just to see how I feel about it now. I play it every three or four years or so, but maybe with a fresh mindset from hearing different perspectives on that part it'll change my opinion.