• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Manged to get MGS TTS and what is this?!?! I remember playing this back when it first released and thought it was awesome. The reviews for when it came out also reflect those sentiments but going back to it in this day and age and this is something that should've been encapsulated in the early 2000's/buried . From the bullet time riddled cutscenes to the overtop mid 2000's music, it hurts!!

Don't even get me started on the VA – why did David Hayter make Snake sound over the top??? I understand they re-recorded all the dialogue due to sound proof rooms but it just came out worse than the OG.

Old-school Comparison

I'm pretty sure that this was something controversial with this YouTube video dating itself back to 2008. Why Era... why is it so hard to embrace this game besides the facts that were mentioned :(?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I too tried playing it recently, and have the same opinion as OP. MGS is corny in a good way. TTS is corny in the worst way possible. There's just something about it that's hard to stomach today, even if back in the day it was kind of cool.

Cutscene direction in this is like a more professional version of a kid in the 90s who has discovered that his camcorder has zoom, so he's flicking the zoom back and forth to create "dynamic". Actually, it's almost literally that in a scene right at the main title where the camera zooms towards Snake, and then BAM Snake farther-away shot, and camera moving away from him.

www.youtube.com

MGS: Twin Snakes Title

The title sequence of MGS:TS
(49s timestamp)

Last edited:

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
If Michael Bay and John Woo on crack directed a videogame they'd come up with The Twin Snakes.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He always did sound different after the first game, but yes, I agree. The game overall is just inferior in almost every way.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
It was always worse. The music alone cemented that. It just got away with it at the time because it was a big tech upgrade.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's better to consider Twin Snakes as a supplemental and alternative take on the original rather than the definitive release, on those terms it's good for what it is

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twin Snakes is like a fan recreation of MGS1. There are some novetly moments but it is infeior in EVERY way to the original.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
It's an absolute blast if you can let it slide and not take it too seriously. If you rank it against the original, sure it'll come up short, but there is a lot to love in all of the absolute absurdity. Still try to do a yearly playthrough.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
That game is so fun. My only beef was that I prefer the OG OST way more.

I also love ppl going nuts about the Matrix like cutscenes in a series as mega wacky as MGS. A series with rollerblading mad bombers, vampires, and grass people lmao.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Worse than the original and I say this as someone who played Twin Snakes first.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could have been worse. You could have continued living wrong but you finally saw the light. MGS is king. TTS is a pale imitation.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I respect the OG

I prefer the GC edition purely for its over-the-top antics and updated visuals compared to the OG.

I own both originals and will 10 times out of 10 fire up my wii connected with component cables and play the Twin Snakes.

🤘🏼

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It's so silly lol.

The only plus I give it over the original is that you don't have to go back to the cold storage room or furnace to change the PAL key.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'll tell you what happened:

giphy.gif

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
If you accept it for its own thing, it's rad.

It also just plays better.

Last edited:

blockhead1700

Nov 3, 2017
Only way I replay the first MGS. It expands the gameplay in good ways. (The Ocelot fight is better in first person, fight me).

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Honestly? The ninja scenes were better. The over-the top changes made sense for that. Everything else...no.

Stuff like this:

are amazing.
Grey Fox vs REX was just...wow for me at the time.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I don't understand how no one has made a mod that restores the original OST.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The guy who did the cutscenes Ryuhei Kitamura is a famous Japanese director. He directed Versus and Godzilla Final Wars as well as others.

I prefer the original.

Oct 27, 2017
Worse voice acting (the only thing they did right was get rid of Mei Ling's accent), worse music, baffling changes to the script (It's not a weakness, it's a weak point!), looks worse than MGS2 and came out two years later on more powerful hardware (what the fuck is wrong with Otacon's face)... it's terrible.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TTS is an exercise in realizing that slapping MGS2 mechanics into MGS1 environments was maybe not the great idea it was in their head.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing worse than the original in TTS is the music.

And

- the atmosphere
- the added MGS2 abilities breaking boss fights
- not having Greg Eagles voice Grey Fox
- the overly campy cutscenes (see below)
- the voice actors lacking the same intensity and gravitas as their original performances
- the character models are 100x more fugly than the low polygons of the PS1 version

kFstFJL.gif

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played it, but it just looked like MGS2 graphics with the 1st person shooting included, and over the top cut scenes like MGS2. Younger me wanted to play it so bad. What was actually wrong with it? Cant make out shit from that blurry ass video.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it wasn't the idea remake, but it was definitly one of the best games on the Gamecube back in the day. I consider the original one of the GOATs, but would gladly replay The Twin Snakes first before the original because QOL is better. And I didn't mind the "extra" the game brought compared to the original.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea that Twin Snakes is Otacon's retelling of the events of MGS1

Still not good in comparison, mind.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I think a big problem is... that it's MGS1 with MGS2's mechanics. While in most places it works, I felt they could've done more to update it; reworking bosses to be able to take advantage or deal with the first person aiming (makes the Ocelot fight a fucking joke), certain things, like holding up guards, was just kinda useless because it didn't net you anything (IIRC).

Like, brief moments where they do interesting things with the new mechanics (like the way to just cut the shape memory alloy puzzle) were unique, but I think they could've done more of that.

The Kitimura cutscenes were... odd, but its' not like MGS didn't get consistently more ridiculous with the flippy bullshit later on (seriously, the old man syringefight in Guns of the Patriots is about as ridiculous). My big problem is that again... the characters are all a ton zippier in cutscenes, but there's no additions to the bosses or anything.

it's still a very good game, and I sorta vacillate on my opinion on it... but I think the big weakness of Twin Snakes is hewing too close to the original, when I think they could've should done more retooling to make the new mechanics introduced work better, or switch up bossfights or something.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
They tried to make MGS way too much like a movie smh. Original is better to me.