• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time, if you saw a picture of Dugtrio, they'd be one angry triplet of moles.

From the official Ken Sugimori artwork...

664px-051Dugtrio_RB.png

To the original sprites...

Spr_1g_051.png

Their fury even carried over to the 3D games, where it was depicted with glorious late '90s polygons!

Magnitude_Stad2.png

And yet, at some point, Dugtrio chilled out. It mostly happened with the most recent games - Dugtrio's sprites were angry up until Black/White, with the odd exception of Gen 2.

Spr_5b_051.png

Look at those mad boys.

Compared to...

051Dugtrio.png

The personality has gone! Now they look even more like three Diglets growing out of the same body (?) Where's the fun in that.

And now for a thread question because I might as well make this baffling pointless rant worthwhile - is mad Dugrio the best Dugtrio? What other Pokémon got less charming over time? Is Dugtrio mad because it doesn't have luscious locks like its Alolan counterpart?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I'm just happy it finally got its anger issues under control and can live a happy life.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Blank face Dugtrio is so funny though.

It's like "hey guys, what's going on?" all the time

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let them live their life and be happy, what's wrong with you?

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I always viewed Dugtrio's anger as more a scrappiness - it's ready to duke it out with anyone that dares challenge it. That's charming and cute! It can be chill on its off-days, when it's not in the ring.

But now in battle it just looks like three Digletts holding a round table conference meeting. Dugtrio sold out, is what I'm saying.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I always thought as a kid that they were angry because 3 digletts decided to pop out of the same hole and got stuck.

I also thought their noses were their open mouths.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
dugtrio has spent years going to therapy to deal with this issues, please respect their decision to live a better life

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
They took away Lapras and Nidoqueen's teeth as well.

DoV9NZWX0AAeJid.jpg:large

And Golbat will always have a huge tounge in my heart.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dugtrio is my all time favorite Pokémon and I'm glad he's found happiness.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
its no coincidence it mellowed out by gen 5. it used to be called one of the laziest and worse pokemon out there ("its just three digletts") then unova came and.... yeah lots of competition on that one

Oct 27, 2017
It's from Ken Sugimori moving further away from his early Akira Toriyama influence and the series in general adopting a more lighthearted look to with its art style and designs

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is your cardiologist okay with that?

It's from Ken Sugimori moving further away from his early Akira Toriyama influence and the series in general adopting a more lighthearted look to with its art style and designs
Yep. But I still wish that the series still had the same level appreciation for heroes with shit-eating grins. The original Red and Gold could have treated a septic tank like an bullet table.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
way to get old and soft, sugimori

Yeah, while designs themself are still top notch, the actual style of artwork depicting them has deteriorated.

That and the world building losing any sense of mystery as more tech let them depict it more clearly and we lost the need to use our imaginations.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
They took away Lapras and Nidoqueen's teeth as well.

DoV9NZWX0AAeJid.jpg:large

Golbats Stadium animation was awesome, reminded me of dracula. Kind of wish Krobat was a split evolution with golbat being a defensive alternative.

I also find Sugimori's new style lacking in "spirit"