• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I have made my own failures.

Nah friend, I'm sure you've made mistakes, and I'm sure you have regrets. I sure have and do, more than I like. But life is hard, and there are too many moving parts outside of our control to ever think that way. Besides, you have more than half your life ahead of you, and you have no idea what the future holds. Some of it might be absolutely magical.

And book 2 in Avatar, you say? That show is now about Toph. As it should be.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I messed around my entire 20's. Didn't go back to school until 29. I'm about to turn 32 and while I don't have a job that pays insane money by any means, I love what I do. Everybody's happiness is on a different timeline. For me and you, it just takes us longer to get there. But you still have time friend.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Don't apologize. It's allowed to feel this way. It's human to feel this way. Sometimes life just plain sucks. Everybody has felt it at some point, and if they haven't they will. But that feeling is only one small part of a larger whole.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This place - well, any popular forum, really - can feel like a void where no one really notices you. Like your voice is just a droplet in the ocean. But it's not! Every post made is being read by countless people... But I think it's simply human nature nowadays to be more likely to be engaged when someone is going to argue than to agree.

We're here and listening, Xandalan ! Good luck at your meeting tomorrow.

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
This place have saved so many people and the outpour of people reaching out to me is insane I am so moved. But with anything I am still an alcoholic still in trouble and its likely I will reach out again. But the kindness really helped thank you.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

I'm glad you're going to AA tomorrow with your bud.

This place has saved so many people. I think people on this forum come through when push comes to shove. Keep having good vibes Xandalan a lot of peeps watching and talkin this thread.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I straight up was about to start talking about legend of dragoon when i saw the chrono cross being mentioned.
GUST OF WIND DANCE has been eternally stuck in my head for like 20 something years, i know some of those additions are stuck in your head as well
Xandalan

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
This place can do so much good. Thank you all I really needed some support especially from a place I lurked but never spoke to. This is a beautiful community.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This place can do so much good. Thank you all I really needed some support especially from a place I lurked but never spoke to. This is a beautiful community.

🤗 Good luck at AA tomorrow!!

Everyone has their own road, don't compare yourself to others...I'm in school right now at 40! It's hard but it's not too late. You just gotta keep trying

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This place have saved so many people and the outpour of people reaching out to me is insane I am so moved. But with anything I am still an alcoholic still in trouble and its likely I will reach out again. But the kindness really helped thank you.

There was a great video from Craig Ferguson making the rounds a few days ago during the Brittany Spears support where he specifically addresses being an alcoholic and his moment of awakening. You should give it a watch

Alcoholism I've never had to deal with but I went to therapy for other dark issues, and talking with anyone always helps my friend. Even when you feel like there's no one, there is. This thread is a perfect example of that.

As for life choices and school, every single person's path to their dream is different and it's how they get there that helps mold them along the way. But, you must get there to achieve your dream. Don't give up. I'm 33 and just got accepted into a nearby college to finally work on my degree after dropping out back in 2006 after a year.

I didn't say graduate with a degree, I said "finally work" because I know there is still lots to do. Hold your self accountable and to the standard you deserve and you'll find peace and get there too.

Keep your head up! You are not alone.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I am trying at the university of Arkansas but im old at 35 and im not doing well but im really trying.

You are not too old! Many people want to change direction, often they get there later though, 40s to 50s. It is a good time to study. Not easy, but you can do it.

If you pass through it, you will still likely have 30 years at least of work before you sould you want to continue, to build up your expertise. Heck, you can become an expert in almost anything in 10-12 years from scratch. And competant within in 5 -6.

What is it you want to study?

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op I would like to say that it's interesting to see a thread in which the op actually replies to other people, usually it's drive by posts or little discussion at all with this website , a problem that I face as well,

But sometimes we must all get out of our comfort zone and have discussions with others.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks so much for replying. I love Gears. I have both a series x and ps5. I was a regular poster in that thread. I have both and I am stilll not fulfilled. I feel awful I have no desire to play.
Maybe try something a bit less mechanical and more emotionally evocative than online shooters & such. Stuff like Journey, Flower, What Remains of Edith Finch, GRIS etc. While competitive games that test your skill against other players can be fun, sometimes it's nice to have An Experience type game to go through that makes you feel things (other than the triumph of besting your opponent or annoyance of losing)

And yeah, maybe try finding some local facebook groups or similar that align with your hobbies/interests, be as active as you feel comfortable (maybe push yourself a bit outside your comfort zone if "totally inactive" is your default :) ) and maybe you'll find new friends through those, in time.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe try something a bit less mechanical and more emotionally evocative than online shooters & such. Stuff like Journey, Flower, What Remains of Edith Finch, GRIS etc. While competitive games that test your skill against other players can be fun, sometimes it's nice to have An Experience type game to go through that makes you feel things (other than the triumph of besting your opponent or annoyance of losing)

And yeah, maybe try finding some local facebook groups or similar that align with your hobbies/interests, be as active as you feel comfortable (maybe push yourself a bit outside your comfort zone if "totally inactive" is your default :) ) and maybe you'll find new friends through those, in time.

Yea competitive games aren't always great for bouncing back the mental.

On top of that I would add that even single player games that can test your skills will be better too as it's mostly about showing yourself what you can do rather than trying to best someone else.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Hey OP.

We all here for each other. I don't reply much but I wanted to let you know it's ok to ask for help

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Yo OP, just wanna say, I hear you and understand you. I'm not really good at talking, I know.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

This is very true, and these are good recommendations. Especially Journey. But my go to game when I'm depressed is Tetris. It's mechanical, but also incredibly relaxing while simultaneously keeping you somewhat focused. Tetris Effect is really pretty, too. It feels almost cleansing to me when I'm down.

I don't know if it works for you, OP, but I recommend giving Tetris Effect a shot!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I am trying at the university of Arkansas but im old at 35 and im not doing well but im really trying.
School can be tough, especially when going through stuff like this. Because of depression, I almost didn't make it through high school, and I dropped out of college twice.

If you ever want to talk about classes or study tips or anything, please feel free to reach out. And I'm sure you can find folks here who studied what you're studying for more specific help.

Oct 25, 2017

hey man i saw your thread last night right as i was going to sleep and rememebered it this morning, please reach out. i know exactly how you feel (i think) and this place has helped a lot for me even as a place to talk about problems

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
Hey everyone. Its embrassing how much I shared but IT was a rough night. Lots of stresses from home and school plus my problem. I wanna say thank you all that entered this thread to help me out. I think Im gonna be fine. I just needed to vent.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone. Its embrassing how much I shared but IT was a rough night. Lots of stresses from home and school plus my problem. I wanna say thank you all that entered this thread to help me out. I think Im gonna be fine. I just needed to vent.

Good stuff, it is good to release that energy when you recognise it isn't doing you any good. Hope the rest of your week is swell.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I only saw this thread just now and want to say it's perfectly fine to want to talk to people. Just to vent, or whatever. Glad to read it helped :) You got the AA meeting today right?

OP
OP
Xandalan

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
Winter storms prevented me from attending with my friend. I am feeling fine and going next week.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Glad to hear that. I'm an addictions counselor. Please give a thought to attend rehab. Found some good ones here:https://www.freerehabcenters.org/city/ar-fayetteville It may be able to help you, if you need help along with AA meetings. Do you have a sponsor or someone you know at a meeting very well?

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
There are AA meetings near 24/7 on Zoom these days. I highly recommend it - the fellowship is wonderful. There's many reasons to be cynical or critique its methods to stop drinking, but there's really no better way to get exactly what the OP is wanting which is communication with others where you can be open and vulnerable without judgement.

All you need to attend is a desire to stop drinking. You can go to a meeting drunk or high but if you're willing or desiring or new way of life you're welcome.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
OP sorry life's been rough man. I'm dealing with my own vices but don't let capitalism win. I believe in you.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018

Just wanna jump in and say that NW ARK is beautiful. I grew up close to Memphis so my knowledge of Arkansas was limited to the dog tracks across the river in West Memphis. West Memphis is gross. I had a negative view about Arky for a long time because of that place. I got a job with JB Hunt back in 2010 and they sent me to Lowell for training and I fell in love with that area. Its crazy how yall have these huge industry titans (JBH, Walmart, Tyson), but there is soooo much green everywhere. I haven't been back since 2013, but I bet its still just as pretty. I always wanted to stay longer and hang out in the Ozarks.

Anyway, what are you studying at Arky? They have a good Logistics Management degree thanks to JBHunt. I generally like Arkansas, just wish my football team wouldn't lose to yall so easily (Ole Miss fan here).

Mar 30, 2019
Seeing this thread for the first time. I'm glad that you are reaching out and chatting. Love the avatar btw, orange sunsets are my favorite natural sights to see. Combined with Chrono Cross? *chef's kiss* Just remember that every positive step counts. It's a meandering road, but we are in this together.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have posted many times but no one talks to me much I understand I have free posts and im new I need friends tonight. I am a alcoholic.

You're not alone! And I understand how hard it can be when you feel isolated. It's a good thing that you reached out. I'm still catching up on the thread, so sorry if it's already been asked, but what's on your mind? What do you want to talk about?

Finally caught up on the thread, and I'm glad you were able to vent and get things off of your chest. My DMs are always open when you need someone to talk to!