• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
these are unbelievable

now if i could only convince you to do the same for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic or even Witcher 3

giphy.gif

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
no way! links plz!! =)
Oh thats NDA'd to hell and back, showing concept art would need approval from EA AND Lucasfilm. Not happening.

Two big redesigns were Canderous and Mission. Canderous cause he didnt feel very Star Wars so I added some Mandalorian details and had to reconcept his boots from scratch cause his OG design had nothing. Also gave his face an update, more Duke Nukem/Ron Perlman/buff Anthony Bourdain. Mission had a default face so I tried to make her look more like a unique character and I did a once over on her clothes (adding buckles and whatnot, making it cohesive)

Oh and for Bastila I had to find a happy medium between her promo art and ingame model. Neither were very detailed so I had to make sense of all the patterns going on in her clothes. The other designs were handled by other artists. I also presented, storyboarded and put together the cinematics for all the KOTOR stuff.

If you play the game or google the models you'll see the end result

You can see my fat ass (bad choice of clothing that day ahhh bad hair day also aah) on the Star Wars show thing they did, Im talking about Revan a lot there

These are truly incredible and are making me want to revisit Chrono Trigger / Cross. I love that these feel sort of Chrono Cross-y in a really fantastic way. The eventual evolution of the world's culture is evident here.

Your respect and love for the source material is really clear in the attention to the character's silhouette and adaptation of the original creator's art style and your love for the game is present in spectacular fashion in the attention to detail and personality. I know you get paid to do this kind of thing, but this is clearly a labor of love and that shines through on all fronts. Kudos to you, friend.

That being said, I love both versions of your Magus designs, but have to admit that I like your original attempt at Magus. His power and drive are brought to the forefront, and he really does feel more intimidating. Though it is clearly furthest from the original Toriyama art style, I think I appreciate that more. I love many of his designs, but many of them feel same-y, especially in the Dragon Ball universe, and this is such a refreshing take on his work.

Again, kudos to you for this project, and THANK YOU for sharing this with us. It's really great.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh thats NDA'd to hell and back, showing concept art would need approval from EA AND Lucasfilm. Not happening.

Two big redesigns were Canderous and Mission. Canderous cause he didnt feel very Star Wars so I added some Mandalorian details and had to reconcept his boots from scratch cause his OG design had nothing. Also gave his face an update, more Duke Nukem/Ron Perlman/buff Anthony Bourdain. Mission had a default face so I tried to make her look more like a unique character and I did a once over on her clothes (adding buckles and whatnot, making it cohesive)

Oh and for Bastila I had to find a happy medium between her promo art and ingame model. Neither were very detailed so I had to make sense of all the patterns going on in her clothes. The other designs were handled by other artists. I also presented, storyboarded and put together the cinematics for all the KOTOR stuff.

If you play the game or google the models you'll see the end result

You can see my fat ass (bad choice of clothing that day ahhh bad hair day also aah) on the Star Wars show thing they did, Im talking about Revan a lot there

I was way ahead of you on the Google ha. Shame about the concept art being under legal wraps, but I understand. Excellent work. Mission and Big Z look great.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was way ahead of you on the Google ha. Shame about the concept art being under legal wraps, but I understand. Excellent work. Mission and Big Z look great.
Big Z was concepted by my buddy Garret and man, I would love to take you out to drinks just so we could talk about how that redesign went, haha

Mar 18, 2019
While I still prefer Toritama's original designs (partly because I'm also a DBZ fan), most of these character redesigns look pretty damn good!

Although there are a few I'm not feeling. I'd prefer if Crono looked slightly older and more muscular, Marle a bit thinner and with less jewellery, Ayla a bit less muscular, and Magus not so topless. But that's probably because I'm just too used to the Toriyama designs.

By the way, was the Crono redesign inspired by the Secret of Mana remake? Because he looks similar to Randi from the Mana remake.

Last edited:

ElukiaTV

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Madre del amor hermoso....

Okay.. so this is the first time i clic the "Watch" button on a thread in this forum (toootally not making a suggestion for those reading this).
Keep updating this... F Crono is already my new phone wallpaper!

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
These are truly incredible and are making me want to revisit Chrono Trigger / Cross. I love that these feel sort of Chrono Cross-y in a really fantastic way. The eventual evolution of the world's culture is evident here.

Your respect and love for the source material is really clear in the attention to the character's silhouette and adaptation of the original creator's art style and your love for the game is present in spectacular fashion in the attention to detail and personality. I know you get paid to do this kind of thing, but this is clearly a labor of love and that shines through on all fronts. Kudos to you, friend.

That being said, I love both versions of your Magus designs, but have to admit that I like your original attempt at Magus. His power and drive are brought to the forefront, and he really does feel more intimidating. Though it is clearly furthest from the original Toriyama art style, I think I appreciate that more. I love many of his designs, but many of them feel same-y, especially in the Dragon Ball universe, and this is such a refreshing take on his work.

Again, kudos to you for this project, and THANK YOU for sharing this with us. It's really great.

Thank you so much for your detailed impressions! I read them a few times and really made me happy to see my renditions connect with people.

Your Magus comments are ones I agree with. I love the v1 design and think when he joins the party he could adopt that look, maybe thats the way to do it, he would lose the horns in that instance but I think that makes sense? Magus is the one character that has a lot of looks in the game (well, Glenn too) and I love when characters change wardrobes in RPGs

Speaking of which, maybe Crono should sport a new look after he gets saved? Mmm

Who does this guy think he is, 'reconcepting' the best game ever made what a-

600collage-1.png

Wow

So the kickstarter is when?????

Haha, how long is never? I would be down for a sprite artist or a 3D artist to make renditions of these designs, but thats as far as it'll go. Its high praise though, thank you :)

While I still prefer Toritama's original designs (partly because I'm also a DBZ fan), most of these character redesigns look pretty damn good!

Although there are a few I'm not feeling. I'd prefer if Crono looked slightly older and more muscular, Marle a bit thinner and with less jewellery, Ayla a bit less muscular, and Magus not so topless. But that's probably because I'm just too used to the Toriyama designs.

By the way, was the Crono redesign inspired by the Secret of Mana remake? Because he looks similar to Randi from the Mana remake.

No relation to Mana, those designs just happen to be similar even from the source material.

Toriyama is also a big influence on me since I was a kid, I used to be THE guy who could draw Dragon Ball. His game stuff is tricky because his clean designs work great for sprites but can be very divisive when taken to 3D so I needed to be able to separate myself from it and look at the core of the characters. As far as my tastes go, each change to the character (muscles, jewelry, etc) helps turn them into a truer version of themselves that also enriches and represents the lore of the game to the way that I view it. I could have taken these designs and do a complete 180 as well but part of the fun is working within the constraints and exercise creativity that way.
Madre del amor hermoso....

Okay.. so this is the first time i clic the "Watch" button on a thread in this forum (toootally not making a suggestion for those reading this).
Keep updating this... F Crono is already my new phone wallpaper!

Jaja, muchas gracias! Ese es mi diseño favorito, bueno ademas del de Flea! Una buena oportunidad para hacer algo nuevo que ademas tiene todo el sentido del mundo. Eventualmente voy a hacer mas cosas con ese diseño, por ejemplo la incluí en la ilustración de Marle

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hello there, as discussed previously, 2300 AD got empty fast so lets move on to 65,000,000 B.C. and see what we can do

Kino is a pretty basic character, if he reads like a wannabe hero who doesnt have his shit together and may or may not fuck up at any moment then mission accomplished. You also need to get the impression that he can grow into not being a total loser, so I couldn't go too wild here.

kino.png

Next will be some fun stuff as its Reptite time

AmethystEnd

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, Kino, the fucking dumbass. I like what you've done with him, but I still want to throw him off a cliff.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
I have nothing to add besides my thanks for you sharing this amazing art with us. I look forward to seeing whatever comes next. Would love more 12,000 BC stuff, but it's all great.

Nubzcake

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yo these are nice. Really digging ayla's look. Have you ever considered designing alternate costumes for the different time periods.

Future title:
Chrono Trigger : Retriggrred

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yo these are nice. Really digging ayla's look. Have you ever considered designing alternate costumes for the different time periods.

Future title:
Chrono Trigger : Retriggrred
Oh I hadn't thought of that and its a GREAT idea. Hell, its in the boxart. This will happen

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Arrived late at this thread but will say that I LOVE what you did with the Zeal redesigns, my man. Absolutely stellar.

Will certainly watch this for future updates :)

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Couldnt get to an update yesterday but I made time today :)

Stone Age doesnt have much, but it has reptites! I wanted to set the look before getting to Azala who, ultimately will really embody the whole culture. I made some changes from the original, they had pink skin in places and instead I made that coral'ish armor. I want them to look smart, having tools, weapons and armor, I wanted them to look like the top of the food chain and establish humans as the obvious lower class citizens.

reptite.png

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Couldnt get to an update yesterday but I made time today :)

Stone Age doesnt have much, but it has reptites! I wanted to set the look before getting to Azala who, ultimately will really embody the whole culture. I made some changes from the original, they had pink skin in places and instead I made that coral'ish armor. I want them to look smart, having tools, weapons and armor, I wanted them to look like the top of the food chain and establish humans as the obvious lower class citizens.

reptite.png
CxMhmMH.png

The most ambitious cross-over in entertainment history.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wont have time to finish this today, prepping fro SacAnime tomorrow (and then I'll be busy with that) Heres the preliminary sketch for Azala

D8at6VXW4AAxPEa.jpg

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Finally poked my head in here, wish I'd done it sooner. I love all your work! I don't necessarily agree with some of the changes but wow, it's sure pretty to look at.

As for Azala, not bad so far! Personally I've always liked the fact she looked straight from a Flash Gordon episode or some other Saturday morning serial.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Found a couple of older sketches as I looked through my sketchbook for con prep

First one is more interesting, the fashion seems more tropical, like FF X but the overall influence is very Amano ... which would be a fun exercise in itself, to guess how he would have approached this game

D8b5RZ9UIAAmpkk.jpg

This one is right before I got started while waiting for Japanese class to start. I think 3 days later I did the Crono sketch from the beginning of the project. You can definitely see Im figuring out the shape language still.

D8b5RZ9VsAApq1P.jpg

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No update today as I'll be working SacAnime all weekend. See y'all on Monday :)

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This will get buried in E3 coverage but oh well, must update :D

Azala! Queen of the Reptites! This was a fun update, wanted to make her look more royal, more complex and more fun. She already had a great, memorable silhouette that I wanted to develop more and it was a good way to keep adding layers to Reptite culture which is sorely needed. When you stop to think about it, CT has quite the memorable female cast!

azala.png

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Truly incredible! Yes I just don't know how many times we can see it but I know your will appreciate it so I'll just keep doing it.

Your awesome! :D
Thanks bud, I appreciate the love :)

Im not super certain what to follow with at this point, major timeline NPCs have been taken care of so whats left?

The 3 gurus
Lavos
Miscellany of important bosses/NPCs

I could also start doing character sheets. Animation studies (key poses) and weapon concepts

Or maybe world design? Lenee Square, Magus Castle, the Epoch, End of Time. That type if stuff would get a redesign pass as well.

If you have an opinion, let me know!

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Lol omg
Is that like Megaman 6? Why is he just standing there?
Mega Man 2's final boss. Just Dr Wily pretending to be an alien with holograms. It's weird.

This will get buried in E3 coverage but oh well, must update :D

Azala! Queen of the Reptites! This was a fun update, wanted to make her look more royal, more complex and more fun. She already had a great, memorable silhouette that I wanted to develop more and it was a good way to keep adding layers to Reptite culture which is sorely needed. When you stop to think about it, CT has quite the memorable female cast!

azala.png
I love this one too. I'm glad you also thought the Reptites weren't done justice in the original game. The game portrayed them as like the dominant force on the planet at the time, but somehow they lacked any sense of culture. They didn't really have a sense of clothing, architecture, interests, and their areas didn't even really look lived-in. For all that snooty talk about how they saw themselves as more advanced and evolved as the humans, they didn't really show much of it beyond generic castles. I don't entirely blame them, since they were working with limited cartridge space and time.

Your redesign has fun, easy to read shapes, and looks distinct. I can even see a bit of a shell theme in the outfit, which works beautifully with the rainbow shell stuff that the game starts hyping up near the end of the story.

Thanks bud, I appreciate the love :)

Im not super certain what to follow with at this point, major timeline NPCs have been taken care of so whats left?

The 3 gurus
Lavos
Miscellany of important bosses/NPCs

I could also start doing character sheets. Animation studies (key poses) and weapon concepts

Or maybe world design? Lenee Square, Magus Castle, the Epoch, End of Time. That type if stuff would get a redesign pass as well.

If you have an opinion, let me know!
Bosses would be fun to move on to.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
How is it I've just now stumbled upon this thread? I don't have much to contribute other than to say you're FANTASTIC work Raging Spaniard! Some of these redesigns are better than the original IMO. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quick update. Im halfway done with the Chancellor from 600 AD, the idea is to do a pass on the main bosses.

However, this is a busy time of the year for me, lots of things to work on for my gamedev job (meaning my extra morning time is now work time, lol), Im working on a couple of freelance projects that should be pretty neat AND Im tabling at EVO pretty soon and I need to get cracking on new prints. This thread may become a once a week update type of thing, that way i can work on it in smaller increments thorugh the week and hopefully give you a meaty update on Fridays or something.

Mega Man 2's final boss. Just Dr Wily pretending to be an alien with holograms. It's weird.

I love this one too. I'm glad you also thought the Reptites weren't done justice in the original game. The game portrayed them as like the dominant force on the planet at the time, but somehow they lacked any sense of culture. They didn't really have a sense of clothing, architecture, interests, and their areas didn't even really look lived-in. For all that snooty talk about how they saw themselves as more advanced and evolved as the humans, they didn't really show much of it beyond generic castles. I don't entirely blame them, since they were working with limited cartridge space and time.

Your redesign has fun, easy to read shapes, and looks distinct. I can even see a bit of a shell theme in the outfit, which works beautifully with the rainbow shell stuff that the game starts hyping up near the end of the story.

Bosses would be fun to move on to.

Glad you noticed! I think they did a beautiful job with the stone age, full of color and depth but yes, content wise it got the short end of the stick and its such a pivotal part of the game that if you got to know the Reptites a bit more (maybe even if you got to visit a peaceful Reptite village) you would be able to have a lot more empathy for them by the time Azala makes her final speech or find their lair later in the present
How is it I've just now stumbled upon this thread? I don't have much to contribute other than to say you're FANTASTIC work Raging Spaniard! Some of these redesigns are better than the original IMO. Keep up the good work.
Thank you! Im able to pick and choose bits and pieces to change from work thats already magnificent so I dont think I deserve much praise but I appreciate it all the same <3

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell the team to hurry up and add my man Quinlan Vos into the game.

Back on topic though, I like seeing landscapes so my vote goes to world design.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing a little odd about Azala is how flat the head is. Otherwise very cool.

With regards to missing characters, Dalton sticks out as a big one, although I suppose you could consider him a boss. Would love to see Gato and Spekkio as well.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I just discovered this thread. So fun, thanks for undertaking this project and sharing it with us!

I really like how much thought you put into the designs. Your descriptions of the feelings that you want each character's design to evoke add a lot of depth to my understanding of the characters and the world, and that's saying something because I've replayed this game at least ten times. Really appreciate that you undertook this project and shared it with all of us!

I'd love to see your take on some environments - is that something you plan to mess with, or is your primary focus characters?

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Please tell the team to hurry up and add my man Quinlan Vos into the game.

Back on topic though, I like seeing landscapes so my vote goes to world design.

Unrelated but since were on the subject, today they showed one of my SW concepts in the forums, making it OK to share. Got to design a brand new Star Wars character, which never happens!

gTfoq1n.png

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, lets get going with the bosses. Its a busy time for me so Im moving updates to Fridays for a little while.

Lets start at the beginning, with the Chancellor/Yakra combo!

chancellor-1.png

I made some changes so that I can tie him to his monster form in a bit. I also used the opportunity to add some extra flair, maybe his sense of fashion has Zeal hints to it? Maybe he makes some odd choices since hes just pretending to be human? At the end of the day you cant go all out since its the first boss so just introduce some concepts and leave room to level up later.

For Yakra proper, how many did this? I certainly did

1472261783337.png

So, really, the concepts only job was to clear that up and have fun with the shape. No need to reconcept a lot here, its a fun animal shape that has some extra shit going on. The fight itself is pretty good though, great choice for a first boss

yakra.png

I did almost made a concept that followed my initial impression of the sprite, but eh, its fine as is LOL

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just checking up on this, is it still ongoing?

Yep! I just finished the Dragon Tank yesterday! However, my schedule has made it difficult to have a consistent output. Content will be updated in batches and Im thinking sometime next week there will be 3 or 4 new concepts to look at.

Thanks for checking in!