• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: For the new page

For the adult/human/badass version of Glenn I really liked his original sprite, I instantly wanted to play a whole game as that character so I moved in that direction rather than his Son Gohan esque makeover in the anime cutscenes

glenn_adult.png

I think combining both aspects of the old Glenn with Frog, adding the Heros Badge as a visible thing, keeping the Masamune looking like a heavy burden on the character and making Glenn look confident but still somewhat damaged is the way to go here. Hes seen everything the world has to offer by this point and has been given another chance at living life in his own way

Tomorrow I start getting busy with the member of Magus' army :)

Just not what I expected. He's been just that in my mind for a long while.

The design itself is not bad, but my mind has him looking... cleaner? Neater? The green cape around his neck kinda blends with his hair and gives me the impression of a bit of dishevelness? Idk.
Its a fair point but for one I never liked the added cutscenes and would rather stick to his actual game sprite

Human_Glenn_Sprites.png

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The scene snapshots/postcards you are doing are pretty awesome. I'm not sure if your are moving chronologically in regards to that and the character art, but I'm certainly curious to see your take on some of the more iconic scenes from the game(if that is what you are thinking of doing). With regards to the current 600AD theme, besides Ozzy-Flea-Slash, Masa and Mune(and Masamune) would be cool to see in this style.

I don't have anything in the way of feedback. Your v2 of Magus is great, and I've really enjoyed all of the recent character art that has been put up.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The scene snapshots/postcards you are doing are pretty awesome. I'm not sure if your are moving chronologically in regards to that and the character art, but I'm certainly curious to see your take on some of the more iconic scenes from the game(if that is what you are thinking of doing). With regards to the current 600AD theme, besides Ozzy-Flea-Slash, Masa and Mune(and Masamune) would be cool to see in this style.

I don't have anything in the way of feedback. Your v2 of Magus is great, and I've really enjoyed all of the recent character art that has been put up.

Im going to make one per playable character and its not meant to be chronological but I guess it would be a snapshot of their lives before their role in the game started. I do mean to make strides on important game moments, I may eeeven do a storyboard for the really important ones (or rather "the one" haha)

Thanks for the added thoughts! I know its hard to keep up with threads like these so I appreciate getting some feedback when I put an update up :)

Apr 9, 2019
Magus v2 looks really good! Like, officially good - strong, somber, but not pathetically so. Not sure about Lucca's pantslessness though, looks weird combined with the lab coat.

(Critiquing your considerable talents is weird too =P ).

Am wondering what "reconcepting" CT's soundtrack would mean... An interesting idea, but also REALLY tricky considering Mitsuda's legendary work and how tied it is to the SNES sound chip's characteristics.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lets get the Magus army ball rolling, starting with Ozzie!

ozzie.png

In terms of memorable bad guys, he does pretty well for himself. Toriyama has a very particular way of drawing this type of character so I tried to be respectful of that, specifically the silhouette and the fact that you get those giant metal underpants as a piece of armor (somehow) so I wanted to spend some time making that look important. Hes an opulent, full of himself character that is eager to fuck your shit and characters like that are always fun to design.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to thank you for not including that gnarly mohawk and beard spikes that Ozzie's Chrono Cross design has.
I didnt even remember what that looked like so I looked it up and ... yikes

latest

Im not a fan of CC to begin with (pretty art and music aside) so you wont see me being very influenced at all by that game.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies for the double post, asked on twitter as well but its worth repeating here

Any trans or NB Chrono Trigger fans that wouldn't mind helping me out? I could use some feedback. DM or however you are most comfortable :)

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I love the new Magus. Seems faithful to his original silhouette and demeanour, and could probably pass for both a human and fiend if needed. The hair also looks puffed out, like a cat trying to seem imposing.

Cyrus looks good, but there's not a lot to say about them since he's the type of characters that don't stick with me. He's a rather vanilla knight by design, and it's good you stuck with that.

Tata is absolutely precious and perfect. The play between the proportions and expressions of the pose would make Toriyama proud. He's made so many characters like this, but Tama never really worked for me in the official artwork. I know not a lot of reconcepting was needed here, but just as a piece of artwork, this is my favourite of the bunch so far.

Glenn took more work, but he still kind of falls into the same category as Cyrus to me. Looks good, but the type of character that doesn't really register for me. I didn't really remember the sprites either, to be fair. The size difference between Frog's and Glenn's swords stood out though. Are we supposed to interpret it as the broken and repaired sword, or is it just some artistic license?

Ozzie looks like a cheeky deflated Gremlin that wears stuff meant for a grander creature. Fitting, since he's on the cowardly and sneaky side, but thinks very highly of himself. I love him.

Slash and Flea are probably the two characters in the game that could benefit from a redesign of the entire series. Both lean into some unfortunate tropes. and could generally stand to be a bit more monster-like. Excited to see where you take 'em.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Getting some feedback before updating the latest design, I dont mean to bump the thread for nothing but I do intend to commit to daily updates so I like to be transparent about this stuff.

I love the new Magus. Seems faithful to his original silhouette and demeanour, and could probably pass for both a human and fiend if needed. The hair also looks puffed out, like a cat trying to seem imposing.

Cyrus looks good, but there's not a lot to say about them since he's the type of characters that don't stick with me. He's a rather vanilla knight by design, and it's good you stuck with that.

Tata is absolutely precious and perfect. The play between the proportions and expressions of the pose would make Toriyama proud. He's made so many characters like this, but Tama never really worked for me in the official artwork. I know not a lot of reconcepting was needed here, but just as a piece of artwork, this is my favourite of the bunch so far.

Glenn took more work, but he still kind of falls into the same category as Cyrus to me. Looks good, but the type of character that doesn't really register for me. I didn't really remember the sprites either, to be fair. The size difference between Frog's and Glenn's swords stood out though. Are we supposed to interpret it as the broken and repaired sword, or is it just some artistic license?

Ozzie looks like a cheeky deflated Gremlin that wears stuff meant for a grander creature. Fitting, since he's on the cowardly and sneaky side, but thinks very highly of himself. I love him.

Slash and Flea are probably the two characters in the game that could benefit from a redesign of the entire series. Both lean into some unfortunate tropes. and could generally stand to be a bit more monster-like. Excited to see where you take 'em.

Really appreciate your detailed thoughts and perspective here! I love hearing that you liked Tata, sometimes all you need is to give the character the proper acting and the same design can come across very differently.

Flea and Slash are tricky (as hinted above) and will be coming along shortly, but they do require extra thought on my end.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, good to go. Thank you so much for the PM's and help on these :)

Rounding up the Magus Army, Flea and Slash!

flea-1.png

I wanted to keep Flea fun, alluring, magical and still change elements from his portrayal that just havent aged well. Hopefully this resonates well.

slash.png

Slash has a similar challenge. I don't think they gave him giant lips and dark skin as a malicious gesture but that's not something I will be partaking in so changes were needed. I liked the idea of making him a magical swordmaster because that gives us a bit more variety and fleshes out the world more. We already have Crono, Frog, Cyrus and other people fighting in more traditional means so lets come up with something that feels like a very different style for a character of this type.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
Omg how come I never clicked this thread before? I LOVE these conepts! And now I need a Chrono Trigger remake more than ever.

Nice work!

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Great job.
The only one I find a bit off is Robo.
The trunk is too short for my taste.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Omg how come I never clicked this thread before? I LOVE these conepts! And now I need a Chrono Trigger remake more than ever.

Nice work!

Few people have mentioned this, maybe I should edit the thread title to something more clickable? Im open to suggestions!

Also, thank you :)

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Updated OP and organized it a little bit for easier reading, as this becomes more thorough I'll keep reorganizing it so its easy to catch up (for those who havent noticed, I update the OP anytime I post new art so newcomers can catch up quickly). Do let me know if the images are too big, I figure most of you are on mobile and the images are resized so it should be fine

BY THE WAY, those fancy new forum features such as bookmarking and thread notifications are a great fit for a thread like this (winking emoji + thinking emoji)

Oct 29, 2017
All this work has been awesome. Have you thought about putting anything up on Redbubble or the like? That CHRONO training scene would look pretty killer on a wall.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Good morning Era, no post yesterday, three day weekend and all

In the back of my head Ive been wanting to make proper character illustrations. These sketches are getting more and more complex (look at Flea compared to Crono) and while thats a good level of detail for an NPC, the main characters should get a more thorough look

So thats what I did on my weekend

crono_v2_render.png

These take a bit of time to do so I wont be making my way through the other playable characters anytime soon, but its nice to be able to have something closer to finished/publishable quality with this project :)

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
All this work has been awesome. Have you thought about putting anything up on Redbubble or the like? That CHRONO training scene would look pretty killer on a wall.
Ah, sorry I missed this. I might, eventually? I do the con circuit and I do sell stuff but I need to figure out a good way to do it, like if I do a few more pieces like the Crono training one I can sell them as a mini print set, you know?

For now its just a fun portfolio exercise/social media thing

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Time to get started on 2300 AD! Not a ton of NPC's for this area, well, at least Id like more ... but its pretty damn memorable! Maybe most memorable of all is Johnny, I remember being REALLY excited for the race sequence in Mode 7 as it was used heavily to promote the game in magazine and TV ads, it looked amazing!

johnny.png

In the spirit of change, I wanted him to have the one legged look and, if that means he transforms into a 3 wheel vehicle, thats fine. I liked the Greaser look so I tried to push it a bit more, made the leather jacket orange for some better contrast, kept the BADYEAR of course and went a little extra Kamina on the sunglasses because how could I not.

Raging Spaniard This is great stuff!
Where's m'boy Johnny?

;)

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Great work all around!

Excited to see your portrayal of the three wisemen of course ;)

Would love to see your rendition of Zeal Gaspar (red outfit) as well as End of Time Gaspar, and Belthasar and Melchior too :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Great work all around!

Excited to see your portrayal of the three wisemen of course ;)

Would love to see your rendition of Zeal Gaspar (red outfit) as well as End of Time Gaspar, and Belthasar and Melchior too :)

This will happen. I havent played the game in a while so I was thinking of refreshing my memory before getting to them ... they're some of my favorites, even Chrono Cross couldn't fuck them up!

Badyear on the tire is a nice touch. Would love to see your take on the jetbike.
Oh man, vehicle design is nottt my thing but in the interest of self improvement I should give it a shot. Maybe as part of an illustration?

DM_Uselink

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Xavi! Super late to the party, but I wanted to stop by and share the sentiment that most are having about this project. Loving what you have going so far! CT is probably on my top 3, and I commend you on taking it on. It can definitely be tough to try and reimagine such an iconic cast.

The highlights for me have been your take on a female version of Crono (which seems like such a no-brainer in hindsight!) Every game featuring a silent protagonist should have this option IMO. Also, I like the choices you made in proportion. Seeing the lineup helps convey that.

The illustration with Marle and the concepts for the generals are my favorite so far.

As far as advice goes. I would say to just keep going! What I like about these types of projects is that it is your personal view on how their appearance should be. I think you are doing a good job keeping your original intentions while incorporating the insight from people with different perspectives/backgrounds (which should definitely be welcomed in this industry.)

I know you are trying to keep things loose, but maybe taking one or two characters and doing a full character sheet complete with weapon concept would be cool. Especially for an audience that doesn't get to see behind the scenes that as often.

Looking forward to the creature and other boss designs as well. I think you can go crazy with those too!

I've been meaning to do something like this. I've had FF6 on my sights since it is my favorite game, and seeing this is pretty inspiring.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Xavi! Super late to the party, but I wanted to stop by and share the sentiment that most are having about this project. Loving what you have going so far! CT is probably on my top 3, and I commend you on taking it on. It can definitely be tough to try and reimagine such an iconic cast.

The highlights for me have been your take on a female version of Crono (which seems like such a no-brainer in hindsight!) Every game featuring a silent protagonist should have this option IMO. Also, I like the choices you made in proportion. Seeing the lineup helps convey that.

The illustration with Marle and the concepts for the generals are my favorite so far.

As far as advice goes. I would say to just keep going! What I like about these types of projects is that it is your personal view on how their appearance should be. I think you are doing a good job keeping your original intentions while incorporating the insight from people with different perspectives/backgrounds (which should definitely be welcomed in this industry.)

I know you are trying to keep things loose, but maybe taking one or two characters and doing a full character sheet complete with weapon concept would be cool. Especially for an audience that doesn't get to see behind the scenes that as often.

Looking forward to the creature and other boss designs as well. I think you can go crazy with those too!

I've been meaning to do something like this. I've had FF6 on my sights since it is my favorite game, and seeing this is pretty inspiring.

Thank you so much Noé! Getting positive feedback is nice regardless of where it comes from, but having it come from peers is a special feeling.

Im really glad I started this because to be honest, my art production was slowing to a crawl. I really like my job but I dont get to draw every day, hell, sometimes I dont draw for weeks as I often have to make cinematics, do 3D work, sub in for art directing stuff, work on Lucas submissions, etc etc and, as you know, when you get in games your mindset is to be as helpful as possible so you forget to be helpful to yourself, thus a project where even after an hour of work I could produce something that would (hopefully) resonate with people was a perfect way to get back into drawing daily.

I think my main piece of advice if youre thinking of doing a project like this is to come with that POV you described, you are not removing or "fixing" the original work, you are simply roleplaying. Toriyama in the 90's was just a factory of concepts, with a DQ game coming out every other year plus this game you can examine this work and tell that hes just mixing and matching, as usual with him, if you can get him in a position to let loose on mechanical designs thats when you get "the good shit" and he always does his best when not limited to a design palette, so I actually think his CT work is so good almost by sheer luck, not a lot of people are out there praising his Dragon Quest VI work eventhough its from the same era. If you were going to do FF VI its a great opportunity to go with "Amanos designs need to be interpreted in order to work in a game,. what are my decisions and how are they different from the shipped product"

Super happy you like the female Crono concept, thats the one I tried my hardest on and a cool opportunity to provide something completely new. Making a concept sheet is a great idea and I think shes the character to explore in it (plus male Crono already got a finished illustration)

As you know, designing bad guys is always the coolest job ;) Dont have to adhere to all them pesky rules ;)

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
This little pet project of yours is looking solid so far, and I ESPECIALLY love how you pushed the shapes with Johnny's redesign. The only issue that I have, is Mangus Ver. 2.0's silhouette is very muddled and doesn't have as much readability as the first take (though I understand why you added those changes).

I can't wait to see your take on Lavos and The Gurus of Life, Time, and Reason. Lavos will be interesting, especially with how incredibly lame his other stages were (though I do love Toriyama's alien/monster designs). If I was hired for this assignment, I would personally omit those versions and just stick to the gargantuan parasite and maybe keep the Lavos Core as an optional boss.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This little pet project of yours is looking solid so far, and I ESPECIALLY love how you pushed the shapes with Johnny's redesign. The only issue that I have, is Mangus Ver. 2.0's silhouette is very muddled and doesn't have as much readability as the first take (though I understand why you added those changes).

I can't wait to see your take on Lavos and The Gurus of Life, Time, and Reason. Lavos will be interesting, especially with how incredibly lame his other stages were (though I do love Toriyama's alien/monster designs). If I was hired for this assignment, I would personally omit those versions and just stick to the gargantuan parasite and maybe keep the Lavos Core as an optional boss.

With Lavos I do intend to follow up on the three phases, although from my own perspective. Only as an adult (as in, a few years ago) did I notice his 2nd phase looked like Cell, I always saw the top of his head AS the head so I'll make a design based on how I saw it. Same thing with the core, I didnt see the eyeball, instead I saw the face of an old man. The idea of an old ass parasite that keeps covering himself in armor because its afraid of death is very alluring to me, so I'll try to push those concepts. I also like the idea of the inside of Lavos being a habitat of sorts so hopefully I'll get around to explore how a mini dungeon would look like in there.

With Magus his silhouette could use a bit of cleaning, these character sketches are there to push the idea moreso than to provide accurate reference (hence the floating hair. Once I do a character render of him that will get addressed.

Glad people like Johnny, mechanical stuff is deefinitely outside of my comfort zone.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
With Lavos I do intend to follow up on the three phases, although from my own perspective. Only as an adult (as in, a few years ago) did I notice his 2nd phase looked like Cell, I always saw the top of his head AS the head so I'll make a design based on how I saw it. Same thing with the core, I didn't see the eyeball, instead I saw the face of an old man. The idea of an old ass parasite that keeps covering himself in armor because its afraid of death is very alluring to me, so I'll try to push those concepts. I also like the idea of the inside of Lavos being a habitat of sorts so hopefully I'll get around to explore how a mini dungeon would look like in there.

With Magus his silhouette could use a bit of cleaning, these character sketches are there to push the idea moreso than to provide accurate reference (hence the floating hair. Once I do a character render of him that will get addressed.

Glad people like Johnny, mechanical stuff is definitely outside of my comfort zone.

Sounds solid, man. You definitely have a solid direction for where you want to go with this, so keep at it.

For me, the idea of Lavos being a force of nature (instead of a standard JRPG moustache twirling villain) that couldn't be reasoned with had always left a strong impact on me when I played the DS version of Chrono Trigger back in University. There's something unnerving about "the big bad" being a parasite that consumes planets and spreads across the galaxy.

Which is why it bummed me out that Lavos had a rotation of "But this isn't even my final form!" stages that had taken away that mystique. But I agree that Lavos's shell being a mini dungeon was a cool idea.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds solid, man. You definitely have a solid direction for where you want to go with this, so keep at it.

For me, the idea of Lavos being a force of nature (instead of a standard JRPG moustache twirling villain) that couldn't be reasoned with had always left a strong impact on me when I played the DS version of Chrono Trigger back in University. There's something unnerving about "the big bad" being a parasite that consumes planets and spreads across the galaxy.

Which is why it bummed me out that Lavos had a rotation of "But this isn't even my final form!" stages that had taken away that mystique. But I agree that Lavos's shell being a mini dungeon was a cool idea.

You played it a bit late which doesn't discredit your opinion at all but in 1996 having your big bad last boss be a sad sack once you took away all the pomp and circumstance was actually pretty OUT THERE at the time, especially when the characters have a chance to reflect and notice the truth. A few months before I had just beaten FF VI where the last boss was literally a God. As you say having the last boss be an ever present threat during the entire game was really fucking awesome, it gave the entire experience a feeling of immediacy which few games have been able to replicate. If the game was to ever be remade I do think the last series of fights could be revamped so that fighting Lavos Shell can be a different experience (instead of the lazy boss rush)

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Late update today, work has been busy the last 2 days.

Anyways, Doan. I think his original design is ... fine but theres a lot of room to do something more significant here. 300 years after the apocalypse humans have become tribal again, with the lack of food, sunshine, probably excess radiation and whatever else, humans should look slightly different, especially as they age and deteriorate it shouldnt be shocking to see cybernetic implants and discolored skin. They would still look for trinkets, they would still adorn their leaders with ways to distinguish them, this kind of stuff is prevalent through human history and it would persist even in 2300

doan.png

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. That looks like the kind of person who's never heard the word "healthy" before.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
More robots! This time, Robos girlfriend and all around cutie, Atropos XR! Good chance to make some alterations to the factory model for a little extra personality. I considered changing the stereotypical pink but seeing how there are a lot of female character in this game, having one be a more "typical" girl and, even better, going the robot route did seem like a good thing to keep.

atropos.png

Last edited:

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I haven't checked this thread in a while, let's see wh...

.....AAAAAAAAAH IT'S GLORIOUS

The legs as a fork for a single wheel make a lot more sense visually (and mechanically!) than the original design. If you looked only at the silhouette, you'd surely think this was an insect-like creature with big wings (the short jacket helps with that, too), which makes it extra awesome that the things above his shoulders are huge, chunky tires.

This is so much easier to read than the original, too. It's just great all around. Thanks for putting such care into this and sharing it with us!

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic design, once again! Thank you so much for sharing this.
Gracias tocayo, sharing is caring!
Hey, I haven't checked this thread in a while, let's see wh...

.....AAAAAAAAAH IT'S GLORIOUS

The legs as a fork for a single wheel make a lot more sense visually (and mechanically!) than the original design. If you looked only at the silhouette, you'd surely think this was an insect-like creature with big wings (the short jacket helps with that, too), which makes it extra awesome that the things above his shoulders are huge, chunky tires.

This is so much easier to read than the original, too. It's just great all around. Thanks for putting such care into this and sharing it with us!

Phew, thats good to hear. Im actually surprised Toriyama didnt go in the route I went, seeing HOW GOOD he is at mechanical design youd think he would add a lot of cool shit like he did with Robo. Oh well.

I think this about wraps it up for 2300? Outside of Balthazar there just isnt a lot more going on (unless I go to the endgame people ... but eh, not yet). I think it may be time to go to the stone age. Kino, Azala, that whole deal.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quick weekend bump. Im tabling at SacAnime next weekend (if you're going, say hi!) and I have a few prints to finish so no Monday blowout like usual, I should be able to make updates other than Friday though.

Also, a few people have asked me about prints. Eventually there will be a book compiling all this work, I will also make prints of selected pieces here and there (mini prints of the day in the life, etc) but if theres anything in particular youd like feel free to let me know!