• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Cool timelapse. Dumb question, but what's the purpose of that high contrast/saturation layer you are using in the back half of the video? Seemed like it was helping to spot areas to improve?

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For the new page:

When this group of teenagers found themselves 1300 years in the future, little did they know they would come across a recording that would change not just their lives, but the fate of the world itself

ct_spot_2300_web_05222020.png

Also recorded the drawing session for this, will be doing more of that in the future as well

After Effects finally stopped being weird so I was able to make a timelapse, for those not wanting to watch a two hour video, lol

Cool timelapse. Dumb question, but what's the purpose of that high contrast/saturation layer you are using in the back half of the video? Seemed like it was helping to spot areas to improve?

If you make a new layer, set it to "saturation" mode and fill it with any 100% saturated color (like max red, for instance) you get to see how your saturation values are working, that way you can see how your hit vs cool contrast is working or see why some elements are not popping out the way they should contrast wise, so maybe you'd need to lower or increase the saturation between elements. Its a trick I learned recently so i wanted to try it out and it did help in a few spots

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
For the new page:

When this group of teenagers found themselves 1300 years in the future, little did they know they would come across a recording that would change not just their lives, but the fate of the world itself

ct_spot_2300_web_05222020.png

Also recorded the drawing session for this, will be doing more of that in the future as well

After Effects finally stopped being weird so I was able to make a timelapse, for those not wanting to watch a two hour video, lol

If you make a new layer, set it to "saturation" mode and fill it with any 100% saturated color (like max red, for instance) you get to see how your saturation values are working, that way you can see how your hit vs cool contrast is working or see why some elements are not popping out the way they should contrast wise, so maybe you'd need to lower or increase the saturation between elements. Its a trick I learned recently so i wanted to try it out and it did help in a few spots

Neat, thanks for explaining.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The year is 12,000 BC. Our heroes are broken, their leader missing, Lavos lives and the human race is almost extinguished. Can Frog, in a time of crisis, find enough strength to forgive Magus? Or will he give in to his rage?

ct_spot_12000_web_05252020.png

Recorded this session as well, will post the links once the vids are encoded and uploaded

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Recording of the latest illustration:

A 5 minute timelapse:

And a 2 minute twitter version because their rules are dumb:

Dunno if its because of the time I post these but theres been very little interaction lately (here and on social media) if you have opinions on what I could be exploring instead or if you think the new work isnt up to snuff, let me know! Feedback is always good :)

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Something a little different for the redesign project, Serge from Chrono Cross! If there was a CT remake, it would make sense to travel to 1020 for a side quest and meet Serge before the events of CC. Also, why should Serge be yet another white boy? Perfect chance to change things up a little, focus on the fishing village aspect, add some melanin and some much needed diversity

EbTKYrzVAAAbvnL

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
This is incredible. the artwork of different scenes from the game is just beautiful, and really feels like you're capturing a road trip through time.

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is incredible. the artwork of different scenes from the game is just beautiful, and really feels like you're capturing a road trip through time.

Thank you! Its definitely a labor of love. I gotta find a better way to compile all the work since its getting a bit extensive but I'm pretty happy with how consistent everything has looked so far and I think that adds to the "road trip" element you mention

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Recording of the latest illustration:

A 5 minute timelapse:

And a 2 minute twitter version because their rules are dumb:

Dunno if its because of the time I post these but theres been very little interaction lately (here and on social media) if you have opinions on what I could be exploring instead or if you think the new work isnt up to snuff, let me know! Feedback is always good :)

I got chills from this pic. Great work!

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
*kicks door*

Hi fam, it's been a while! Since last we spoke I changed jobs, moved to Spain, lost a dog, settled int Barcelona and I finally have found enough time after election dread to get this project going again.

I wont be able to do daily updates, so I'll see if I can get that topic edited, but I do intend to continually be working on the next thing

So lets start with a good one, I want to move on to more "official" work and Lucca was a character I wanted to render in the same capacity as Crono. Eventually every main cast member will get the same treatment

lucca_v2_render_web.png

And for twitter

OP
OP
XaviConcept

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's alive! And Lucca is looking great!

Thanks bud, looking forward to continue the work :)

I dont want to bump without any content so I am mocking up a visual target for the combat system. This is super rough but it gives you an idea of what Im thinking about (spoiler: its FFVII Remake)

EmQh7cyWEAgLpUw

amplituhedr0n

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks bud, looking forward to continue the work :)

I dont want to bump without any content so I am mocking up a visual target for the combat system. This is super rough but it gives you an idea of what Im thinking about (spoiler: its FFVII Remake)

EmQh7cyWEAgLpUw
I get it! VERY exciting!

FF VII remake did more right than wrong, so I gotta appreciate your instincts