• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
18 year olds are basically high school students in adult cosplay
there are exceptions but usually people who think they are exceptions will look back in 10 years and realize they werent exceptions
but they should be treated with respect like any other person and can still be competent workers
it's the age where training wheels come off, but youre certainly still wobbly
im not usually gonna go out of my way to dunk on them for their age
but if you straight up ask me... im gonna tell the truth
people under the age of 25 are generally still baking and unable to realize it
(unfortunately some of them come out of the oven half baked)

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
When I got to 18 years old, I was just happy I could legally drink alcohol, go in bars, and vote. I still felt like a teenager. I had people around me who were a lot different.

For a lot of things, there are many 18-20 year old that are more mature and know a lot more about the world than grumpy 30 year olds. I think 18-20 year olds deserve to be treated like adults, because at some point you need a cutoff age to become an adult. The average 21 year old isn't any more mature than the average 18 year old. People in average start really maturing over the course of their 20s. I'm 33 right now, and I still was an immature fuck at 26. It's a lot of factors that are to be taken into account. I don't think it's ok to treat 18-20 year olds like kids, infantilization is just bad in general. Then a lot of these people who discriminate people due to their age will complain when others do the same to them anyway.

No matter when we put a cutoff age, there will be people that disagree with it. In Québec, it's 18. At 18 you're an adult. There's no layering, or at least there shouldn't be. Government wants people before 21 to not be able to buy weed, for example. But I'm against that, it's literally taking rights away from legal adults. At that point, I think it would be more logical to just increase the adult age. But then once you move the adult age, 21 year olds become the new adult "Kids", so why not move the age up? 21 is as arbitrary as 18 is.

I saw that twitter thread you're talking about, and to me it felt like it was more talking about how it was weird for someone that's my age for example, dating an 18 year old. Even if it's legal. From a moral standpoint, I agree that it's fucked up. But in that situation, I don't think people in general judge the 18 old. They judge the older person.

This is a wonderful observation on the topic, and I'm not sure much more needs to be said. I saw the same thread on Twitter, and while I slightly disagree on the point that person was trying to make, as two consenting adults can do what they want, I do believe that age differences can be a struggle while maintaining a healthy relationship as both parties are in different phases of their maturity. It really does come down to life experiences and where that individual is in their development though.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
OP, bookmark this thread and then in like 3-4 years I want you to come back to it and tell us if your opinions still hold true.

Haha, I was going to say further down the road. I'm 37.

The OP needs to revisit this thread when they're 35-40. The forum should hopefully still be around. I had to straighten up really early in life (dad died when I was 11), but looking back...I was clueless about a lot of things in even my early 20s. I was never dumb or reckless, my father dying young erased the "I'm invincible" idea from me at the age of 11, but I certainly had no clue how most of the things in the world work.

Politics and the racism/idiocy of the South and growing up/out of the mindset I was raised in was still down the road for me in my early 20s.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
fetchimage
lol

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
When you're legally classified as an adult, you also face the consequences of not adhering to your adult responsibility in a court of law.

You can't use the Twitter excuse of "My brain is still developing, I haven't fully matured or fully understood the effects of my actions." when you're 18 or 19, nobody's going to buy that anymore because you no longer have the priviledges that minors have from a legal perspective.

You're not wrong. That's what the law says, so that is what goes.

The "twitter excuse" as you so succintly put it is still true, though. Your brain isn't fully developed until you're 25. If I've understood it correctly, your prefrontal cortex isn't done cooking yet, and that is the part of the brain that gives us the ability to judge situations rationally rather than emotionally. God knows I was a fucking mess between leaving home at 18 until somewhere around the age of 25, when I'd managed to build a fairly stable life around me.

Maybe it's the law that's wrong? That has happened before, y'know.

Jul 24, 2020
I was probably smart or very mature for an 18 year old... in comparison to other 18 year olds.

And as someone nearing 30...my god was I dumb.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I was probably smart or very mature for an 18 year old... in comparison to other 18 year olds.

And as someone nearing 30...my god was I dumb.

Approaching 36 all gas and no brakes. Can confirm, 23 year old me was a cringey, stupid son of a bitch who thought he was the smartest in the room. Personal growth and self-acknowledgement of that growth is important. Be proud of the person you've become based on the person you were. If you aren't proud, make some changes. You've got nothing but time.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The "twitter excuse" as you so succintly put it is still true, though. Your brain isn't fully developed until you're 25. If I've understood it correctly, your prefrontal cortex isn't done cooking yet, and that is the part of the brain that gives us the ability to judge situations rationally rather than emotionally. God knows I was a fucking mess between leaving home at 18 until somewhere around the age of 25, when I'd managed to build a fairly stable life around me.

The problem with the Twitter excuse is that it assumes that everyone follows the same exact developmental trajectory as if by 25, everyone's brain development is on par and therefore the possibility for less emotional decision-making should be great. At that point, it becomes incredibly fallacious and meaningless to assume that development is so linear for everyone.

In reality, so while 25 is the accepted period in which brain development should be finished, there really isn't any cutoff point for brain development because it isn't quite that simple. Everyone's development is unique to their own experiences and their own growth. In other words, Neuroscience is incredibly complicated. You can have a fully formed prefrontal cortex AND still make emotional decisions. Likewise, you can have a developing prefrontal cortex AND still make rational decisions.

This is why neuroscientists always mention that framing arguments/discussion to young people is what matters most. Instead of talking down facts to them (because they WILL resist and refuse to listen to you), the focus should be more so on getting them to understand your POV. More empathy, more active listening, and more bridging the gap, and less "hurr I'm right lol ur just a kid"

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
You're not wrong. That's what the law says, so that is what goes.

Maybe it's the law that's wrong? That has happened before, y'know.

Thing is though, I completely agree with the points made by people who argue that 18 and 19 year olds shouldn't be classified as adults because of their emotional intelligence. I myself was an impulsive individual when I was 18-19, I've said and done things that I look back at with shame and embarassment around that age range because I never had the education to really realise the implications and societial impressions that some of my words and actions had towards others until I was in my 20's.

But again, we have to abide by legal definitions because that's the agent of social control that we as human beings ultimately have no choice but to follow. If enough people truly believe that 18-19 shouldn't be classified as adults then that should be discussed with lawmakers.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not sure why I should care about how anyone wants to live their life. Why do you care so much about this supposed infantilization of 20 year olds, OP?

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Thing is though, I completely agree with the points made by people who argue that 18 and 19 year olds shouldn't be classified as adults because of their emotional intelligence. I myself was an impulsive individual when I was 18-19, I've said and done things that I look back at with shame and embarassment around that age range because I never had the education to really realise the implications and societial impressions that some of my words and actions had towards others until I was in my 20's.

But again, we have to abide by legal definitions because that's the agent of social control that we as human beings ultimately have no choice but to follow. If enough people truly believe that 18-19 shouldn't be classified as adults then that should be discussed with lawmakers.
I see, then what do you think is an appropiate age range for adulthood? And what about the age of 20

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I see, then what do you think is an appropiate age range for adulthood? And what about the age of 20

Personally, I'd say 20 should be the starting point of being an adult. It's evident that a lot of 18-19 year olds still identify themselves as a "teenager" despite no longer being legally considered a minor at those ages.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

My point exactly.

The problem with the Twitter excuse is that it assumes that everyone follows the same exact developmental trajectory as if by 25, everyone's brain development is on par and therefore the possibility for less emotional decision-making should be great. At that point, it becomes incredibly fallacious and meaningless to assume that development is so linear for everyone.

In reality, so while 25 is the accepted period in which brain development should be finished, there really isn't any cutoff point for brain development because it isn't quite that simple. Everyone's development is unique to their own experiences and their own growth. In other words, Neuroscience is incredibly complicated. You can have a fully formed prefrontal cortex AND still make emotional decisions. Likewise, you can have a developing prefrontal cortex AND still make rational decisions.

This is why neuroscientists always mention that framing arguments/discussion to young people is what matters most. Instead of talking down facts to them (because they WILL resist and refuse to listen to you), the focus should be more so on getting them to understand your POV. More empathy, more active listening, and more bridging the gap, and less "hurr I'm right lol ur just a kid"

I don't disagree with any of what you wrote. Just arguing that using the age that most peoples brains are fully formed as the norm for adulthood does still seem more reasonable that an arbitrarily picked age, such as 18, right? Outliers will always exist.

And I should probably add that I'm not seriously advocating that the general age to be legally declared an adult should be raised to 25. This is me reacting to the OP, with the added hindsight of having reached early middle age and having behaved as anything but an adult up until 25.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like most adults around me act just as drama loving, self destructive, impulsive, bad decision making as teenagers or even kids who don't get their way. In my anecdotal experience, many people never mature. I can be immature too with whatever.

So I don't really know. There are some 20 year olds I'd trust with a credit card more than 30 year olds for example.

For criminal/moral stuff, yeah, at 18-20 take the kid gloves off, you should know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.