• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

With the launch finally on us, how do you feel about the xbox lineup?

• Disappointed -- I want new games

Votes: 1,512 65.0%
  • Happy with gamepass and back catalogue (xbox one owner)

Votes: 517 22.2%
  • Happy with gamepass and back catalogue (skipped last xbox gen)

Votes: 197 8.5%
  • Happy with the strongest console for multiplats.

Votes: 100 4.3%

• Total voters

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that my XSX is arriving in a few hours, it's really, finally hit me how disappointing the launch lineup is. The biggest new titles today (destiny, assasins creed, yakuza) are multiplatforms that already run fantastic on the last generation consoles (i snagged ac:v early and have been playing it since friday -- it looks and runs great on my x1x.)

There are no big new third party tiles coming to gamepass to soften the blow, nothing coming out in just a few weeks that slipped and missed launch status, and no dates for the big games (halo, avowed, forza, fable) on the horizon.

I think we've all known this for a while, but now that I'm gonna have the console in my hands I can't help think about all of the other launches I've experienced -- n64, gcn, and xbox 360 (I didn't grab a ps4 or xbox one at launch). Every one of those had some new exciting games to play that I was really pumped about day one, even if they turned out to be really bad (in the 360's case.) I don't regret not getting a ps5 in time for launch, but between the controller, astros playroom, and demons souls its clear ps5 owners have a lot more of that christmas morning style excitement coming in a couple of days.

Anybody else (who's getting an xbox) feel the same way?

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like the discourse around this new gen is similar to when we got the enhanced consoles. Lots of people that don't "get it", which is fine. I'm in the boat of I want the latest hardware that's going to run all my old games better and will run new games the best as they come out. I've got tons of back catalog titles, many of which have been upgraded for Series X or have PS5 versions coming. I'm happy as can be.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I really wanted to get an XSX instead of a PS5, but the lineup just wasn't there.

It's not that much better on Playstation, but at least they have Demon's Souls and with that, something to actually get excited about.

Had Microsoft bothered to give me a PGR2 remaster at launch, or just simple BC even, I would have been there for them. But alas.

Still, as I've said before, the previous consoles sucked in terms of specs and the prospect of upgrading to something that offers, if nothing else, a faster (usable) OS/UI then that's already something to get sort of excited about however stupid that is.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Its like getting a brand new graphics card for me. From what I've seen, most of my old games are gonna run so much better and a lot of them will hit 60fps at 4k. I'm stoked.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not really, I want to play the improved titles like Sea of Thieves which definitely will run miles better than the One X and even Yakuza should soften the blow.

That being said, XBOX doesn't have much credit left with their promises for an amazing lineup, I feel that by the holiday of 2021 they MUST deliver

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I know I'll keep coming back to Forza Horizon 4, anyway, so I'm not too disappointed about the lack of new games. I know they'll come eventually, and I have a pretty good track record of not being disappointed by the games I end up waiting a while for.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest new titles today (destiny, assasins creed, yakuza) are multiplatforms that already run fantastic on the last generation consoles
Might stop you there for a second. I'm getting the box for Yakuza. On my non-pro PS4, RGG Studio's recent games did not run overly well. I'm stoked to explore Kamurocho in 4K!

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
You might think your existing games look and run great on your One X, but trust me, the SSD and the general quickness of Series X is worth the upgrade alone.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Halo would have been nice but otherwise there's lots to play. The Medium and Cyberpunk coming soon too.

Alpha eX

Sep 22, 2019
I had the same feeling, but it was quite nice forcing myself to go through Game Pass titles and find new stuff to play. Downloaded around 15 titles for free, many that hold a $20+ price tag, and enjoying them with the new console. Also, finally get to play Doom Eternal !

Someone on the thread mentioned a similar feeling to getting a new graphic card, I respect that.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I am excited for the console but I plugged it in and then really didn't have anything to play. Halo and The Medium were what I was looking forward to.

OP
OP
catswaller

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might stop you there for a second. I'm getting the box for Yakuza. On my non-pro PS4, RGG Studio's recent games did not run overly well. I'm stoked to explore Kamurocho in 4K!

That's the main game I'm getting it for too, but you gotta admit it's not a big amazing system seller. I love yakuza, but I'm not spending $500 just for 20 extra fps on a game i could also play at a stable fps on last gen..

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like the discourse around this new gen is similar to when we got the enhanced consoles. Lots of people that don't "get it", which is fine. I'm in the boat of I want the latest hardware that's going to run all my old games better and will run new games the best as they come out. I've got tons of back catalog titles, many of which have been upgraded for Series X or have PS5 versions coming. I'm happy as can be.

Agreed. I play games from all throughout the last 15 years on a weekly basis so the fact that Series X enhances old games is heaven for me.

As for new stuff, Assassin's Creed Valhalla is more than enough for the time being. Eagerly awaiting what Microsoft has in store for 2021-22.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
To be fair, we have known about the launch games for months now. I would of waited until there a few games you are interested in.

As much as I want a PS5, Demons Souls and Miles are only two games, i will get one when GT7 and Ratchet are out, not having worry about getting it launch day and get a better deal makes up for missing out.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Man that Spider-Man expansion was such a genius move by PlayStation. It's also on ps4 but who cares, it's the next Spider-Man game day one.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
th

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm somewhere between happy with back catalog and disappointed that there's no new exclusives.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least at launch PS5 gives more a next-gen feel between the controller and the launch games.

OP
OP
catswaller

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man that Spider-Man expansion was such a genius move by PlayStation. It's also on ps4 but who cares, it's the next Spider-Man game day one.
Yeah I mean, a big substantial expansion for gears or forza or something that took advantage of the new hardware would have been a huge get for ms. I guess halo was supposed to fill basically that spot in the lineup though.

Huh? The entire EA Play back catalog comes to Game Pass Ultimate literally today, and Jedi: Fallen Order was just added as well.

That's a year old game. It's a awesome value add if you havent played it yet but it's not what i mean.

Oct 30, 2017
It is completely lackluster. A new console to me means new games for that console… Dammit, it's a new generation and people are stoked about older titles?
whatswrongwithyou.gif.

(Nothing wrong with older enhanced titles you know)

Jan 27, 2018
I've waited to play games like Wasteland 3, Gears, and even Ori for the series x so I have a lot to look forward too. Truthfully, I lean towards Xbox in my console fandom but I'm probably more excited about the PS5 right now. With that said, Game Pass is 100% the reason to have an Xbox and I'm going to love both.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
It really is the worst launch set of all time. I'm going to wait around until there's some interesting exclusive before getting a Series X.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Had Halo came out it would've been phenomenal. I'm glad they gave it more time in the oven but I too don't feel like there's anything exciting I can't get elsewhere.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it would be nice to have Halo or some other big launch title but game pass has resulted in me having more launch titles than any previous system. Planet Coaster, Tetris Effect and Gears Tactics are going to keep me busy and I bought Yakuza and Assassin's Creed.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Of course we want new games, but it also worth nothing that the acquisitions started around 2018. So it was nearly imposible to release new developed games under the XGS brand for the launch window of Xbox Series X|S.

Should Microsoft planned better? Definitely.

Games are coming, but they are just a little far away than we wanted.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed for not having any new games, but also that NCAA Football 14 isn't b/c. :(

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Ill be fine. Id rather wait for good games than be dissapointed by new games just because. Obviously Halo and Forza need more time.

Ryse and Shadowfall were so bad last gen. Was like we had gone back to PS2 and Xbox game design suddenly and even that feels insulting. They made their 400/500 euro console investments feel worse if anything.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I'm not, to be honest. Why does it always have to be something complete brand new that hypes and interests us?
I could be playing for the next 2 months with all the now enhanced BC titles alone and already don't know what to try first.

And then there's still something new at least like Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs or Gears Tactics (for console), I'm super happy. I get what you mean tho, at least one big huge launch title would have been nice for Xbox only, but it doesn't really need to be on day one if you really think about it. This is an investment, a base for your next few years. Fantastic new games in December or January are as good as getting them on launch.

Mar 8, 2018
I know I'm probably alone, but launch games matter very little for me with either of these two new consoles. The quality of life improvements, coupled with compatibility that improves my existing library, is more than enough to justify the hardware upgrade. In the past, launch games have mattered a lot because thorough backwards compatibility was rare and QOL improvements weren't as immediate or evident. Buying into next gen early meant you were desperate for options until the release calendar filled out. That's just not the case this time. Would it be cool if there were more games that really wowed me graphically? Sure. Is it that big of a deal right now? Not really, imo.

Monodrone

Nov 1, 2017
It is disappointing even though im currently enjoying AC Valhalla, Ninja Gaiden Black and Yakuza . It is really disappointing to not see Halo at launch. It could potentially have been the "BOTW" for Xbox. How 343i somehow managed to fuck it up is astonishing.

OP
OP
catswaller

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've waited to play games like Wasteland 3, Gears, and even Ori for the series x so I have a lot to look forward too. Truthfully, I lean towards Xbox in my console fandom but I'm probably more excited about the PS5 right now. With that said, Game Pass is 100% the reason to have an Xbox and I'm going to love both.

Smart move. Ori will be a treat on the xsx I think -- it's a big improvement from the last one and i bet it'll look amazing at 120fps if you have a tv for it.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Behind the scenes I bet they are bummed out they don't have Halo at launch. I know it's best for the game but clearly Halo being a launch game was in the cards for a long time. Hell I've seen Halo Infinite marked food and energy drinks here in Canada.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time in my life not getting Xbox at launch, Or even PS5 for that matter too.
Worst feeling ever.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft dropped the ball. The fact that they wont even announce a launch time frame for halo is pretty telling of how unprepared they were. Disappointing all around.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little weird but there's going to be plenty out there to play while we wait for first party titles -- AC: Valhalla, Tetris Effect, Gears Tactics and then Dragon Quest XI (on GamePass) and Cyberpunk will totally hold me over for a long time.

Oct 27, 2017

This is basically the second generation of pro consoles, and I think this is just how it's going to be. They'll figure out the right time frame (between 3 and 5) in between releases of pro-style consoles like this going forward.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
i wonder how The Coalition must feel. Gears Tactics just coming out for the first time as an Xbox console exclusive, and everyone just says there's none at launch.

It's a weak lineup from the exclusives point of view, but between those, enhanced BC and AC Valhalla, there should be enough to tide you over.

Shame they didn't get something else for launch.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't feel like I was MS target audience for the new console. I think people who never played alot of games from the previous gen or gamers who like to replay games and have that increased fidelity and performance will be much more excited but I'm just not that gamer I guess. I have a pc with a huge back catalogue as it is (which stresses me out looking at it) and I dunno just having more on top of that on an extra system isn't something which excites me.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I totally agree, and I have mine waiting at home.

I will say, though, that between Game Pass and a bunch of software I didn't play on Xbox One there's enough there to make it worthwhile for me. I've not played Gears 5 and loved all of the others, I've never played Ori, I've not touched Forza Horizon, nor Sea of Thieves. I've never played the Master Chief Collection, and Halo is one of my favourite ever franchises. Plus everything else that's just sitting there for free.

So yes, it is really shit that they've basically launched with nothing. I've just paid full price for an Assassins Creed game, which says it all. But ultimately the promise of Game Pass and the stuff I've not yet played, which is going to look great, is keeping the launch exciting. I would imagine for a lot of people it is entirely dependent on what they used for last generation (I was almost exclusively PS4).

OP
OP
catswaller

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how The Coalition must feel. Gears Tactics just coming out for the first time as an Xbox console exclusive, and everyone just says there's none at launch.

That's true, I keep overlooking gears tactics -- I played it on PC, but I know a lot didn't. It's also a really good looking game, might be a stealth next gen showcase if it's optimized well for the xsx.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I picked up my Series X at Best Buy this morning. There were about 20 people in line in front of me. Every person ahead of me walked out with just a Series X. No games, no peripherals... it was definitely weird. I've been present at stores for many console launches and usually everyone is also getting a game or two and often an extra controller. It really kind of drove home how this launch is different.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
I'm disappointed in the launch lineup for both consoles, TBH. Everything is available on prior gen. However, I'm going in expecting something more along the lines of upgrading your PC than a new console gen.

What I mean by that is you play the same games but with drastically reduced load times and increased settings.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, when I prebooked it I thought there would be more Series X launch games available instantly on GamePass. Had no idea there would barely be any launch games period.
And from what I could tell, not too much available through the holidays right? Maybe The Medium if we're lucky?

Struggling with whether or not I should keep it or sell it to a friend until it gets exclusive games.
I'm prebooked through Target with a delivery not inbound until next Monday. I think if I score a PS5 between now and then, I'll probably keep that and sell my Series X.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously disappointed with the lack of first party effort, there is no scooting around that point, MS dropped the ball hard as fuck even though they're the ones who picked the date to launch the console and had many years of planning, plenty of first party and third party options for them to get an exclusive and they've had Kamiya practically begging on Twitter to revive his project... and with a shift in Halo, they're left with practically nothing as far as first party that is new.

Cyberpunk being shifted away also compounds on this for me but that's a whole other can of worms.

With that said, I'm still excited, it's new tech and it's got tons of shit to play on day one, regardless; also has a bright future ahead of it as far as first party content and seriously every last drop of it I'm looking forward to playing and I can't say that about any other publisher.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely weak lineup. Third party will save the day. But I wanna fuck around with some older titles too. They'll come.

I'm not exactly pumped for anything on Sony's side either, though. Miles looks great, but it's Lost Legacy levels of a game. That's good, but I'm not gonna pay that much for what's there. I can wait for a sale. Now if Ratchet was there day one...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not ecstatic about any launch games, and not a fan of souls games, so it's generally a weak line up all round.

But TBH nothing by any publisher comes close to Cyberpunk for me, everything loses its value next to that game, so my time was already spoken for on these new consoles.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I haven't bought a XSX yet (nor PS5) but I intend to early next year. The lack of new games on the launch day is surely a little disappointing, and I'm sure Microsoft had some harsh words with 343 over it, but ultimately, I still intend to buy XSX sooner than I'll buy a PS5. A short DLC-like expansion for the Spiderman doesn't excite me enough to buy a PS5 now nor the remake of Demon's Souls (not a huge fan of the IP). As things stand, Gamepass provides a better value for XSX (Jedi Fallen Order will be the first game I'll play on XSX), and going forward, I'm more interested in Xbox's 1st party games (Fable, Starfield, TES6, Avowed, Forza, Arkane's games etc).