• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The condescension towards people who will play this game for the first on Switch is amazingly hilarious.

There's quite many similarities from the methodical movement to the restricted item usage and management. Both series reward careful planning and punish the player for any mistakes.

Outside of a few general similarities, I don't see it, positioning is way more important in MH than DS being the latest movement being less restrective specially in low weights.

DS explore elements, totally different gear system and progression makes for more than different experience. I don't think planning is that important in DS, for starters or item management for that matter, compared to MH.

Except of the more weighty deliberate combat, for me both games are really different in a way that I'm the biggest DS fan but MH never manages to fully grab me.

EthanKart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cant imagine theres too many "Nintendo only" gamers out there. A lot of people have Sony or Microsoft consoles in the household for their media capabilities as well as their game software.

ChapterBlack

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm tempted to buy this again just to see what the community will be like on the switch

This series has always been only ok for me, not a revelation like it was for most. Its laser focus is also its weakness for me

Dec 23, 2017
Watched gameplay on YouTube. Enough for me to know the game isn't for me. With that says as all third parties I hope it sell well on Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think if there are people who just play on Nintendo consoles, the game likely isn't going to appeal to them anyway. That's obviously something of a generalization, but...for the most part, I think, anyway.

I mean, I very much disagree with this and the OP kinda goes into why this type of game appeals very strongly to Nintendo gamers.

Typically Nintendo games are designed with extremely refined game mechanics first, before any other layer of the game is designed, and the final product winds up reflecting that with extremely precise and satisfying gameplay mechanics. I don't claim that Nintendo games are the only ones to do this, but in my personal experience (and the OP's I guess too) there aren't too many non-Nintendo games that feel like they have a similar design ethos.

Dark Souls, at least to me, is one of those series which feels like it shares that design ethos, in that it has extremely tight and refined gameplay mechanics prioritized above all else. From what I know Nintendo gamers aren't really put off by difficulty, they just prioritize gameplay above all else, and Dark Souls is basically one of the most perfect examples of this type of gameplay focused experience.

It's one of the most Nintendo-like non-Nintendo games I've ever played.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't imagine there would be many "Nintendo Only" gamers left that would also share an interest in Dark Souls.... I feel like if that interests you, you'd have branched out by now...

The last couple gens would have killed off a lot of Nintendo only gamers too.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be double dipping but will be interested to see what Nintendo-only gamers think of the difficulty.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I count as a Nintendo fanboy, I guess, and to me the game seems to have just come along at the right place and the right time for other people. I wasn't very enamored by either Demon's or Dark Souls. It's not the difficulty and death--I love a roguelike--and it's not the careful combat--I love Monster Hunter which requires even more commitment and patience--I guess it's the constantly depressing atmosphere/setting and, to me, not that impressive combat. I hear some people really love it more for the lore than anything else, but I guess the game just never got my attention in the 10 hours I played.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't imagine there would be many "Nintendo Only" gamers left that would also share an interest in Dark Souls.... I feel like if that interests you, you'd have branched out by now...

The last couple gens would have killed off a lot of Nintendo only gamers too.

It really wouldn't haven't been hard to survive on just a Wii U and 3DS. There was really only one year I'd say that would become difficult and that was 2015.

Minimo

Release Manager
Verified
Dec 29, 2017
I for one am not OTT hyped for Souls on the Switch (it's hard enough not throwing your controller down after repeatedly dying, let alone potentially the whole console!) But I agree with OP, and it's super exciting all of the new third party games we're starting to see surface on a Nintendo platform, meaning Nintendo gamers will potentially get a chance to experience them for the first time.

That said, the most excited people I know are those who already own Dark Souls and can't wait to be able to play it on-the-go.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Watched gameplay on YouTube. Enough for me to know the game isn't for me. With that says as all third parties I hope it sell well on Switch.

Said the same thing before actually playing it. Now it's one of my favorite modern series and every other action game feels mediocre combat wise compared to it. I would say give it a chance, you can always sell it if you don't like.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Dark Souls sort of passed me by - I can't even remember why, really, there must have been IRL stuff going on or other games I was prioritising so I never picked it up... and still haven't despite loving both Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

Really happy with this port for that reason - the ability to play it on the go and at work is going to be fantastic and allow me the time to really get into it (finally).

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 1 is like my 1b game of all time, right up there with Ocarina of Time. The sense of adventure and exploration is second to none and the accomplishment you feel after finally taking down a boss that you thought was impossible will fill you with satisfaction like no other game.

Ill never forget finally beating Quelaag after a zillion attempts.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
This idea feels like a paradox. If DS is a good game, then why didn't you get a PS3 when it came out? Nintendo fans have a history of ignoring highly rated games not made by Nintendo. See Mass Effect 2 on WiiU.

I think the people buying DS will be not the Nintendo gamers but the multiplatform people who bought switch for a great portable. I'm sure some will experience it fresh for the first time in Switch, but I don't see Nintendo only fans buying it in droves.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
This idea feels like a paradox. If DS is a good game, then why didn't you get a PS3 when it came out? Nintendo fans have a history of ignoring highly rated games not made by Nintendo. See Mass Effect 2 on WiiU.

I think the people buying DS will be not the Nintendo gamers but the multiplatform people who bought switch for a great portable. I'm sure some will experience it fresh for the first time in Switch, but I don't see Nintendo only fans buying it in droves.

Mass Effect 2 is a terrible example given that it's the second game in a trilogy released at the sameish time for the sameish price as a collection.

I mean, you sort of have a point, sometimes, but there are often other factors than "Nintendo fans".

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I dont think it really exist the "Nintendo Only" gamers out of a few handful amount. that being said Souls on the go in worth the double dip

Anecdotal, but I just worked with a guy on a project whose main console is GameCube and snes mini. He has a ps4 and doesn't even have it plugged in. I know a decent amount of loyal Nintendo fans who have their gaming needs met without playing any other consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Mass Effect 2 is a terrible example given that it's the second game in a trilogy released at the sameish time for the sameish price as a collection.

I mean, you sort of have a point, sometimes, but there are often other factors than "Nintendo fans".
Also, Mass Effect doesn't really fit any of the game design criteria appealing to Nintendo fans listed by the OP

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yea, it's going to be pretty awesome hearing from loads of new people getting to experience this game.

"Why won't these skeletons in the graveyard die? This first level is really hard!" :P

I look forward to the "Wow this game clicks for me. I died a dozen times to this boss, but then the 13th time it clicked and I beat it and now I love this game!" posts. Believe me, it'll happen.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even begin to fathom what exactly you mean with the bolded.

Also, it's their loss if people are only having contact with souls games through the Switch release. Anyone with more than a passing interest in games should already know what this series is and should've checked some of the entries out.
By the quoted, I mean DOOM Switch feels just like I remember it on my PS4 version. Even with the technical changes, they translated the gameplay experience beautifully, a sentiment also echoed by Digital Foundry.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Are you trying to scare people off dude?
If they like skeletons so much they wanna see mroe of them at the beginning of the game...R.I.P.
I don't want to know how many people went in that direction and never considered going somehere else and stopped playing lol.
Ha, fair point. Advice to newcomers: When you arrive in the hub area, Firelink Shrine, don't go in the graveyard! (Well, there is a pretty sweet zweihander a short ways in... but the graveyard is not the best route to take.)

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
When I read this part I was thinking 'hmm I see where you are going with this', and then when I see you put down MGSV and Doom this thread immediately got my attention because I absolutely adore all three of these games. You've done an awesome job with this thread and I hope everyone goes out and buys it in May. Also I'm convinced you have a similar taste in games to me, so now I want you to dig into your brain and tell me some other games that fit this criteria so I can go buy them.
Hey, thanks. There are definitely other games I feel fit this mold, but I'd have to think a bit first. Currently busy with work and shouldn't even be browsing my own thread, lol.

edit: Didn't realize I had posted three times in a row. This thread tripled in size since last night. Now that it matters, though.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The greatest lie the devil ever told was that Dark Souls was like Zelda.

Biggest load of horseshit I've ever experienced.

If you're interested because you heard the same, it's not true. It has a couple of mechanics (like Z-targeting) but the gameplay loops are absolutely nothing alike

That's because the Zelda game it's most like is Zelda II, which has different gameplay priorities than most other Zelda games.

Don't expect something that's like LttP or the later games and the comparison is pretty apt. Dark Souls is pretty much a Zelda 1-2 like game where most of the game is made up of dungeon content, vs. BotW which is a Zelda 1-2 like game where most of the game is made up of overworld content.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I played a bit on PC and PS3, but I didnt have much time at the moment, so I never went back. I think I'll buy on switch since portability makes it easier for me.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the premise of this thread is that nintendo gamers are some sort of weird mutant creature that don't count as "hardcore gamers" that possibly wouldn'0t ebe able to get into DS.

Oh wait, no i don't.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The Souls series is very fun in general so regardless of the actual platform it should do great! Here is hoping they port/remaster performs well on the Switch so players can enjoy it to the fullest!

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine for any type of [insert word]-only gamers I'd feel sorry for them for they're missing out on a shit ton of good experiences. And typically they are fanboys.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine for any type of [insert word]-only gamers I'd feel sorry for them for they're missing out on a shit ton of good experiences. And typically they are fanboys.
Not everyone can afford every console. Some people have to pick and choose how they spend their money and time.

This thread is me, a multiplat gamer, recommending something "new" to Nintendo-only gamers.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I both agree and disagree with this. Dark Souls is designed around the player dying, yes, but I would not say it's unfair in any way. Dying is actually a very real progression mechanic in Dark Souls, and almost always it's not all that punishing.

The game constantly throws new, unexpected things at you which will likely cause you to die, but that doesn't mean it's unfair.

I completely disagree.

They want you to be careful, not to keep dying constantly. You're meant to learn that the world is hostile, so be slow, be careful, be conservative. I've gone through entire levels in the Souls games without dying once. It's not some inherent requirement to be killed.

Moreover, the first two Zeldas are brutally difficult. Way way harder than DkS1 to me. Yeah, they've been a cake walk since LttP, but those first two are seriously challenging.

I knew calling it unfair would be met with opposition. I don't know why that is such a sore spot, though.
Well, how about calling it a bit less fair and trial and error than Mega Man and Donkey Kong Country games? Or just arseholishly malevolent? Or sadistic?
But the game does wants you to die a lot. If you have played enough and become proficient enough in the games system and all its flavors of BS you will be able to avoid dying. But until then you're supposed to die. It is a key mechanic. And progressing more cautiously and conservatively is then an effect of this hostile murderous environment. And going slow does not lead to deathless progression if you don't know about all the BS that Dark Souls likes to pull.
Also, you can't always go slow and conservative. The game forces you to go fast at some times and you can be sure that an ambush or trap is waiting for you at the end or on the way to royally screw you. Bosses are also made to kill you a lot and make you go through the whole section again as there can't be any save points before the boss.

Regular Zelda is easy. Second quest, Links Adventure and randomizer might be a bit hard and all are quite cryptic, but none of them are as consuming as Dark Souls.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely came to Dark Souls as a Nintendo gamer, and yeah DS definitely feels like Zelda to me.

Nintendo gamers who missed out should be excited.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I love how the premise of this thread is that nintendo gamers are some sort of weird mutant creature that don't count as "hardcore gamers" that possibly wouldn'0t ebe able to get into DS.

Oh wait, no i don't.
That's not the premise of the thread. If you actually read the OP, you'll see me saying they're perfectly capable of getting into it. There are many Nintendo games with harder content than anything in Dark Souls. But there are also many misconceptions about the series I'm trying to clear up for newcomers.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
aLMozBv_700b.jpg

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think it really exist the "Nintendo Only" gamers out of a few handful amount. that being said Souls on the go in worth the double dip
I think that if the Souls series could help shape the taste of Nintendo-only players (does this still exist?), or people who just haven't played any of the series yet, it could be a good thing for video games as a whole.

So you guys think, that worldwide, (almost) every Nintendo gamer, also has a Playstation and/or Xbox, or conversely, that every Playstation gamer has an xbox and/or a Switch (or a WiiU...)? I think outside of the hardcore gamers, like you will find on Resetera, Gaf and maybe a few other places, that the vast majority does not own two or three consoles each generation. I 've been a Nintendo only gamer since 1992 (except for the Dreamcast), and still have a backlog on my WiiU and 3DS. Not everyone has time to play 50+ games each generation, not everyone has the need or means to spend thousands of dollars on game consoles and games. There are countries where game consoles are still insanely expensive, there are age groups (on both ends of the spectrum) where there are plenty of reasons not to own multiple consoles.

Unless you're talking about smartphones and tablets ofcourse.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

Oh wait, no i don't.
Thread seems like the opposite to me. He's saying DS is a good match for Nintendo fans.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I'm basically a Nintendo only gamer and I really have almost zero interest in this game and most likely will not buy it. I've never liked the look of or anything I've read about the series, it all sounds incredibly tedious and being M Rated, scary, and violent I can't play it in front of my kid which is like %50 or more of my play time.

Oct 27, 2017
So you guys think, that worldwide, (almost) every Nintendo gamer, also has a Playstation and/or Xbox, or conversely, that every Playstation gamer has an xbox and/or a Switch (or a WiiU...)? I think outside of the hardcore gamers, like you will find on Resetera, Gaf and maybe a few other places, that the vast majority does not own two or three consoles each generation. I 've been a Nintendo only gamer since 1992 (except for the Dreamcast), and still have a backlog on my WiiU and 3DS. Not everyone has time to play 50+ games each generation, not everyone has the need or means to spend thousands of dollars on game consoles and games. There are countries where game consoles are still insanely expensive, there are age groups (on both ends of the spectrum) where there are plenty of reasons not to own multiple consoles.

Unless you're talking about smartphones and tablets ofcourse.
yep yep ,not to mention that thier handhelds alone has lots of games(which are cheaper than consoles) and there are plenty of people who are DS/3DS only gamers

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I knew calling it unfair would be met with opposition. I don't know why that is such a sore spot, though.
Well, how about calling it a bit less fair and trial and error than Mega Man and Donkey Kong Country games? Or just arseholishly malevolent? Or sadistic?
But the game does wants you to die a lot. If you have played enough and become proficient enough in the games system and all its flavors of BS you will be able to avoid dying. But until then you're supposed to die. It is a key mechanic. And progressing more cautiously and conservatively is then an effect of this hostile murderous environment. And going slow does not lead to deathless progression if you don't know about all the BS that Dark Souls likes to pull.
Also, you can't always go slow and conservative. The game forces you to go fast at some times and you can be sure that an ambush or trap is waiting for you at the end or on the way to royally screw you. Bosses are also made to kill you a lot and make you go through the whole section again as there can't be any save points before the boss.

The bolded is exactly why I disagree with the rest of your argument. In most games death is a fail-state, and it's supposed to be punishing. Dying doesn't get you anything in most games, outside of frustration.

In Dark Souls death is a key game mechanic, like you said. It's typically not very punishing, unless you happen to be very far away from your blood stain. Dying in Dark Souls is extremely rewarding because it teaches the player about enemy/trap positions and attack patterns, and gives the character extra souls to use for upgrades. Death is a tool, not a fail-state.

That's why it's not unfair, it's not sadistic, and it's not malevolent. It's a core mechanic of the game used to teach the player and improve the character.

If enemy positions or types, or attack patterns changed drastically every time you died then yes, it would be highly unfair and death would be kinda pointless. But that's not the case thankfully.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except of the more weighty deliberate combat, for me both games are really different in a way that I'm the biggest DS fan but MH never manages to fully grab me.

You haven't stuck with it enough then. Both games use the same type of animation priority for the combat. Obviously moves and such are different, but the core design of the combat is identical. Different actions takes different numbers of frames to complete and all have startup, active frames, and recovery. Both games are quite similar to fighting games in this regard, the only key difference being the way in which enemies are targeted.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Or simply do not care.

I, too, feel sorry for people whose lives gravitate towards games.

These talks are starting to be a bit offensive. You all should learn how to accept people with different tastes than yours.

So, I have less dignity because I only play in Nintendo systems?
Or despite I am being happy and satisfied I am somewhat sad and miserable because I only play in Nintendo systems?

Serioulsy, some of you live in an alternative world where you can not enjoy games at least if you have all game systems.

I am curious.

Do we have Nintendo-only players in this forum? People that don't game on any other console or PC.
Yes.

I am one of them and a there are a lot of others too. All the pages someone ask and in all pages someone reply.