• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Hopefully that's show Nintendo that gamers like difficult games because lately, all their games are easy shit :(

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is the Dark Souls of the platforming genre.

Breath of the Wild master mode with hard mode (that option that turn off the map, the temperature and noise meter) is also very hard.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like to meet one of these mythical Nintendo-only gamers just to ask why?
Me for the most part outside an Xbox 360 and a crappy laptop.
Not because i dont like Non Nintendo games (id love to play alot of other games) but mostly because finances and how costly videogames are in my country only allow me to get one console and Nintendo is my favourite developer so...the choice is made there.
Still id like to try DaS one day, i still don't get how its zelda-like at all outside the battle system playinh like a bit like zelda but it seems interesting to play lol

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, Microsoft sent me a demo for this game, so I was able to gauge the difficulty on my own. I'm also told Souls games have a different type of challenge and that rushing in to fight will often get you killed. Kind of the opposite of how I play lol.

Cool, I'm not a fan of dying a lot but maybe it works better in this game. I'll probably find out soon.

Ninja Gaiden is like 10x harder than any Souls game, you'll be fine.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Also of note, when you summon players, you can't choose to summon your friends. The player you summon leaves a summon sign on the ground, and when you interact with it, you can summon them. Of course, you can coordinate with a friend via Discord or Skype and have them put their sign down in a specific part of the map and try to summon them that way. They also need to be within a certain level range to be summonable as well.

This remaster will have the password system of the newer games, so you can choose your friends only.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Time to speed through the game at lvl 1-10 and hunt me...um I mean welcome some newcomers to Lordran! ;)

Savour the Undead Burg people! You'll only get a fresh look at this great introductory level once.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Bloodborne is the 3d Castlevania that nintendo fans have been dreaming since 90s

Dark souls is that to some lesser extent

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, I am a Nintendo only player and the trailer did not show anything.

So I do not even know how this game is. And if this game is "M" rating, so it is a no buy for me.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Well let's see if they fixed the apparent jankiness of the game before. The collision detection always seemed a bit crappy.
The game also looks very slow and not fun to control, your character moves like a tank compared to most Nintendo games.
Not sure I have the patience for punishing games and restarts.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
The better way to get into the game is completely blind. As much as I appreciate the thread (lovely work by Neiteio, as usual), I'd recommend the opposite aproach: don't watch, read or look for anything related with Dark Souls. If this is your first time and you're interested, avoid any topic until May, and enjoy then every little surprise it has to offer.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
I admit that I'm less concerned about Nintendo-only fans' reactions and more the concept of someone locked to one platform nowadays. Most people on this forum especially should be able to afford and pay attention to more than one platform.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
So, is it a violent game? I probably will not buy then, but I want to see some videos to know how this game plays.
Sure, it's violent, in terms of it being a medieval style combat experience. It's not against humans though, it's all monsters.

It's not gory though. It's certainly very oppressive in its atmosphere.

Oct 28, 2017
I admit that I'm less concerned about Nintendo-only fans' reactions and more the concept of someone locked to one platform nowadays. Most people on this forum especially should be able to afford and pay attention to more than one platform.

Lots of people into games also have a low income.

Lots of people with income are time poor and so it may make sense to them to focus on one platform.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Well, this is the normal behavior. But in forums like this, it could be seen as strange for some.

I never understood the "need" to have a lot of systems. I only play in Nintendo systems and do not see this as a problem, at all.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
All I can really say is to learn tells and be patient. These games are much easier to manage if you don't overextend yourself.

Also don't level up RES. RES is useless.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Such as?

There are hallows, there are phantoms, there are Gods. There are humans you can choose to kill. I can't think of any humans you have to fight in DkS1.

I might mix up bosses and characters you can fight between all the souls games, but there's definitely some :b

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So which game is more challenging? Dark Souls or Darkest Dungeon? I know they are different genres but both are known for being extremely difficult. Not sure I want to buy two games that will tempt me to throw the system. Lol.

SteveWD40

Oct 29, 2017
Handheld only Switch user (my wife watches TV most nights, we have kids etc...), should I consider this based on joycons only? I do have a Pro Controller, would it be better to play that way in tabletop mode?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a spoiler free beginner's guide for the new players

IWjcUhV.jpg

21. Don't kill NPCs (unless you know what you're doing)
22. If you see weird frog-like creatures, get the fuck away.
23. If you're poisoned or Toxic, you may as well run off a cliff, you're dead anyway.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So which game is more challenging? Dark Souls or Darkest Dungeon? Both are coming to the Switch but not sure I want to buy two games that will tempt me to throw the system. Lol.

Darkest Dungeon is much harder to beat, but it's turn based so patience is more rewarded than in DS (where it still counts!)

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
E1000-mario.jpg

Give it to me, From Soft / Nintendo. Let us dress up in Nintendo character armour.

I have several friends who are going to get into Dark Souls for the first time via the Switch port so I'm excited to hear their opinions and help them if they need it.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
There's this thing called 'time', you may have heard of it. People don't dedicate 24 hours of their day to just playing games so sometimes one system is enough.

Besides, Nintendo only gamers have often been two console gamers - the Nintendo home console and the Nintendo handheld console.

I even have a backlog on the Wii U of all things.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I don't see what's so strange about only having one system, even on here. You still get a ton to play. I wish I could only stick to one. Save a lot of money and HDMI ports.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Last edited:

Styrman

Nov 7, 2017
Im both glad and a bit sad that newcomers with the remaster will never experience the horror that was the unpatched New Londo Ruins.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see what's so strange about only having one system, even on here. You still get a ton to play. I wish I could only stick to one. Save a lot of money and HDMI ports.

I always have been 1 console only. More consoles = more money spent, and I ain't rich. Missed some good games for sure but it's not like I have this need to play every good game released (I have no backlogs too).

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
User was warned for this post: Console wars rhetoric
I'm more excited about Nintendo-only gamers being introduced to third party games(more in line with other consoles) in general so they'll finally understand what they lost all these years and maybe realize that Nintendo isn't the only one making good games.

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
There's this thing called 'time', you may have heard of it. People don't dedicate 24 hours of their day to just playing games so sometimes one system is enough.

Besides, Nintendo only gamers have often been two console gamers - the Nintendo home console and the Nintendo handheld console.

I even have a backlog on the Wii U of all things.

I don't have a ton of time either, yet I have each major console at the moment.

Chalk it up to money, then.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I always have been 1 console only. More consoles = more money spent, and I ain't rich. Missed some good games for sure but it's not like I have this need to play every good game released (I have no backlogs too).
The money matters, for sure, but for me it's more that it's just irritating having multiple systems.

There's always at least one game where I feel I really 'need' to play. I bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2. That's really stupid. It's a good game, like a 7ish, but buying a platform for that is just moronic. I bought a XBOS for Scalebound! I can't even begin to explain my stupidity in regards to pointless spending in regards to gaming.

Right now, I only have a PS4, but I'll get a Switch this year, but I really shouldn't bother. I only really want Zelda, and I could just play the WiiU version on CEMU.

Hans

Oct 29, 2017
I am by no means a Nintendo-only gamer (PS1-4, PSP, Vita, Xbox 360) but I definitely prefer Nintendo games or at least Nintendo consoles. I also prefer handhelds/undocked mode over playing in front of a TV, even with the WiiU.

The Souls games never appealed to me, just by the look of it. But with all the praise and the upcoming Switch version I will definitely give it a try. I already had a lot of fun with DOOM, another game I never cared about until it was available for a Nintendo console.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a ton of time either, yet I have each major console at the moment.

Chalk it up to money, then.
Gee guv'nor, I sure wish I had the riches like you to be buying more console than I have time to play. Shame I have ta spend 23 hours sweeping chimneys for only a tuppence a day.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I would say that if you love Zelda, but felt Breath of the Wild wasn't the direction you wanted the series to go in, try Dark Souls. It's everything I ever wanted from a fantasy action adventure. Just a phenomenal game and a beautiful world to visit.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I am Nintendo fan and If someone asked me whats single 3rd party game that you want most to see on Switch, answer would easily be Dark Souls.
I am so happy because Darks Souls is coming on Nintendo platform, especially because full handheld mode in Switch, I will definitely buy every single Dark Souls game that might come on Switch.

Also talking about Nintendo fans that didnt played before Dark Souls, before I played Dark Souls for me best IP was easily Legend of Zelda, but after I played Dark Souls, DS very fast become for me best IP along side Zelda.
So, if you love Zelda you will probably like Dark Souls also. :)
Also I could said, if you love Dark Souls you will probably like Zelda also. :)

Last edited: