• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I remember it used to be a thing people complained about years ago "Ugh, they're just appealing to people that just buy Call of Duty" every year. Or people that buy the same sports games each year. Now for some it might be Overwatch or Siege or For Honor. And I'm starting to get the appeal now, not why those games are fun, but why some just lock into those and make that their primary thing.

It's comfortable and it's what you know and are good at.

Thinking back to college, most of single player games I played were 8 - 15 hours and then I played a fuckton of Mario Kart Wii online. Then that became 7 on the 3DS while playing some shorter single player stuff. And then eventually just piling 100 hours hours onto Gen 6 Pokemon, shoutout to PSS.

Then I got a fulltime job and just started buying EVERYTHING and never found a good multiplayer game to center on. And now I just have this pile of single player games and choice paralysis. First world problems obviously, but it's something. I just want to get better about letting things miss me. Like Fire Emblem, I guess I'm a fan. I LOVED Path of Radiance, really disliked Radiant Dawn, liked Awakening, never finished Conquest. I'm excited for the new one, but is it as a fan or just out of habit at this point, I genuinely can't tell.

Maybe Splatoon could've been that BIG multiplayer for me, but I really don't enjoy that game outside of Turf War which I put 100+ hours into. Smash seems like an obvious one, but while I enjoy it and can put in a solid 100+ hours, I'm not in it in it, if that makes sense.

But that is something I want to focus on next gen.

I liked the Xbox show a lot, and it's tempting to jump on Cyberpunk hype, but then I remember the year it took me to beat GTA5. The game that stood out most to me was 12 Minutes because that feels like something I could get invested in and actually beat in a week or two.

I just want to find those core one or two good for me multiplayer games for me and then just occasionally deviate from them for like a Zelda, Mario, Rayman.

Anyone else relate to this?

Cause I'm looking at my backlog right now and I'm just sighing.

Switch
Mario + Rabbids Donkey Kong Adventure
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Splatoon 2 Campaign + Octo-Expansion
Celeste
Stardew Valley
Golf Story
Steam World Dig 2
Blossom's Tale
Rocket League
Rayman Legends
Lego City Undercover
Snipper Clips
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
The World Ends With You Final Remix
Cosmic Star Heroine
Travis Strikes Again No More Heroes
Into the Breach
Minit
Final Fantasy VII
Dead Cells
Night in the Woods
PS4
Persona 5
Dragon Ball Fighterz
WWE 2K19
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
The Tetris Effect
Infamous Second Son
Titanfall 2
3DS
Pokémon Ultra Sun
Detective Pikachu
Metroid: Samus Returns
Rhythm Heaven Megamix
Yo-Kai Watch 3
Wario-Ware Gold
Star Fox 64 3D
Mario Golf World Tour
Scribblenauts Unlimited
PC
Heat Signature

What the fuck did I buy Detective Pikachu for? I've NEVER been a Metroid fan, but I keep trying I for some reason. I'm enjoying FInal Fantasy VII, but that was clearly me following the hype. Travis Strike Back, knew I wouldn't like it and it seems like I just needed to wait for NMH3. Might be time to sell.

WizardofPeace

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta stop looking at gaming as a job but as a hobby. If you're not having fun, then your not doing it right. Play what you love my friend!

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been pretty easy for me to focus on just a few games. Ultimately I play them to have fun, not just for the sake of it

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta stop looking at gaming as a job but as a hobby. If you're not having fun, then your not doing it right. Play what you love my friend!

It's always been pretty easy for me to focus on just a few games. Ultimately I play them to have fun, not just for the sake of it
Yeah, I like your thinking.

I did buy things for the sake of it, but I also thought I would be more into them. Like with movies, I'm willing to try new things and that mindset doesn't work with gaming for me because it's a longer investment and after those first two hours it is easy for me to be like, well that's okay.

A lot of my favorite games becoming my favorite did stem from those risks, but I generally had more time then. So it's like in the long run, I should tune out the noise, but then I can't help, but worry, what if I miss out on another Ace Attorney like experience if I just stick to franchises I like.

Mar 29, 2018
1. You're like me in that you potentially love games of any shape or size. This makes the potential library and options huge and terrifying

2. Addiction to buying is a real thing. Every time you spend money, you get a little endorphin hit like you ate nice food or did exercise. It's possible to become addicted to this feeling of potential and spending. I was there for a long time.

You can get out of it mainly by stubbornly focusing on your back log with rare exceptions. Plan out the only 4 or 5 games you will buy for the rest of the year - ones almost guarantee to hook you until they're finished - and otherwise FOCUS HARD on hitting the credits of games on your backlog. It doesn't matter if you enjoy doing so or not - just play play play until you hit the credits. The physical act of playing the game till the end helps break the addiction. It puts value back on what you've bought so you stop spending willy nilly.

I might have misread what you're describing but hopefully this helps

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
1. You're like me in that you potentially love games of any shape or size. This makes the potential library and options huge and terrifying

2. Addiction to buying is a real thing. Every time you spend money, you get a little endorphin hit like you ate nice food or did exercise. It's possible to become addicted to this feeling of potential and spending. I was there for a long time.

You can get out of it mainly by stubbornly focusing on your back log with rare exceptions. Plan out the only 4 or 5 games you will buy for the rest of the year - ones almost guarantee to hook you until they're finished - and otherwise FOCUS HARD on hitting the credits of games on your backlog. It doesn't matter if you enjoy doing so or not - just play play play until you hit the credits. The physical act of playing the game till the end helps break the addiction. It puts value back on what you've bought so you stop spending willy nilly.

I might have misread what you're describing but hopefully this helps
Yeah, I was almost ready to go in on that PS4 Days of Play sale, but then I'm like dude, you're not gonna play those so I just bought the Spider-Man DLC, a game I'm totally invested in and the main reason I bought a PS4.

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, I was almost ready to go in on that PS4 Days of Play sale, but then I'm like dude, you're not gonna play those so I just bought the Spider-Man DLC, a game I'm totally invested in and the main reason I bought a PS4.
Days Gone was the last game I bought until August, because I knew I'd play it consistently until I was done. And I did. Now I'm focusing on the backlog, cleared a couple of games off it already. Feels good.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Feels like you went bonkers and now your overwhelmed into catatonia. I just chopped near 50 games off my Xbox, down to an even 50, and it's like i can breath again. Of those about 7 or 8 haven't been checked out. The rest are stuff i'll play again.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This is me. I play maybe mostly MP only games. Generally free to play or cheap and go on to play them for hundreds or thousands of hours.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I was just watching the Bethesda conference and thinking the same thing. Looking at Fallout 76 and thinking back to Fallout 3 where I got totally sucked into the world and played it almost exclusively for a year.
Now my attention span feels so short, I buy so many games then feel overwhelmed by choice, and if I am really enjoying a game but have got the platinum, I feel pressured to move on, rather than sticking with a game i'm enjoying.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stop playing bad games. If a game's not amazing (or at least potentially amazing) within the first few minutes/hours, drop it.

Stop falling for hype. Wait at least a few months, if not until the next year, to see if a game proves its quality before you pick it up.

Stop stockpiling games. Don't buy anything unless you're ready to play it within the next few days.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Stop playing bad games. If a game's not amazing (or at least potentially amazing) within the first few minutes/hours, drop it.

Stop falling for hype. Wait at least a few months, if not until the next year, to see if a game proves its quality before you pick it up.

Stop stockpiling games. Don't buy anything unless you're ready to play it within the next few days.
This is a good point. I️ went through the phase of buying everything and it's just a waste of money. If you buy it, use it. It keeps from making your backlog worse and helps make you Atleast give em a shot

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have close to 2200 games 1100 on consoles and close to 1100 on PC. I have played them all, maybe beaten 10%. Just don't worry about the backlog.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have less time these days so I focus on one single player game at a time and 1 or 2 multiplayer (smash, etc)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Gotta stop worrying about beating games. Ill even get something off the backlog and play for 1-2 hours and im done.

It's good to know a bit about it. Both for its own sake in case i want to return to it later. Its better than never playing it. Most are not worth playing for more than a few hours when you have so many, honestly.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta stop worrying about beating games. Ill even get something off the backlog and play for 1-2 hours and im done.

It's good to know a bit about it. Both for its own sake in case i want to return to it later. Its better than never playing it. Most are not worth playing for more than a few hours when you have so many, honestly.
Nah, I want to complete my stuff unless I actively don't enjoy it.

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I realized that I actually enjoy (not just enthusiastic about new tech, setting or narrative) about one or two of new games every year it did wonders for my wallet. Games that I think are "just" interesting, I check out on YouTube or Twitch. I almost know that buying it myself would be a waste. Last year, Red Dead Redemption 2 was the only game I finished and the only single player (focused) game I bought because I absolutely knew that I would enjoy it. Still play it.

So, being more picky and intentional as a consumer really helps.

Oct 29, 2017
Last generation I brought a shit ton of games for both PS3 and Xbox 360. I have both systems this gen as well but what has changed for me is I have kids and a full time career now.

So, this gen I have literally brought just:
  • Uncharted 4
  • Infamous second son
  • The Crew
  • The Division
  • Titanfall
  • Titanfall 2
  • Apex Legends
  • Assassin's Creed Origins
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Rainbow Six Siege
Crazy to compare that to the previous gen where I had about 40+ games.

I'm enjoying gaming a lot this time around, though.