• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you play Fire Emblem Three Houses on Classic or Casual?

• Casual, and I'm not ashamed of it

Votes: 555 51.5%
  • Classic, and shame on those who play on Casual

Votes: 523 48.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because its too hard or because it's too easy?

633750D383C2BF82AE0B74FC55F623E946212DD8
Because they'll quit once they realize their waifu is legal after the timeskip

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did my time with permadeath in classic FE, X-Com, FFT, and a dozen other games. Real life is sad enough.

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
Classic hard. Deaths have been pretty uncommon in the 2 of the last 3 games, and especially echoes with the watch. Awakening and Fates were super super easy. Choosing casual on addition to the rewind mechanic would probably feel like cheating to me, it's just overkill for me.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Okay, I'm convinced. Gonna try Hard/Classic for my first FE game. I like strategy games so much don't think it will be a problem, especially since I could still decrease difficulty to Normal/Classic

The rewind feature helps to make the jump

As for FFT, I still remember the first time I met Wiegraf in that game, and the dead bodies strewn all over the field. The learning curve in that game was SHARP

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah thinking about it more im definitely going with Hard/Classic. It seems like the game is easier than other FEs judging by what the previews say, and you get a rewind feature to boot.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
It's actually Fire Emblem Three Horses and I'm not sure why everyone, including Nintendo, keeps getting this wrong

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, but resetting the *entire* map, when some of them can be quite long is a tension in it's own right. It's not the tension of losing a unit permanently, but it is the tension of losing a lot of time. But that's what I mentioned in my very first post in this thread: There's advantages to every kind of way of playing Fire Emblem. "Iron Man" runs where you let people die have the tension of truly losing a unit. "Reset" runs have the tension of losing time/progress. And Casual mode has the advantage of letting people play at their own pace and let them create their own tension where they want.

It boggles the mind that people have so much trouble understanding this.

I have no problem whatsoever with those who want to play Casual (and have said repeatedly that I'm grateful it exists, as it's in the best interest of the series), but I do take extreme exception to the pervasive misrepresentation of Classic-with-resets from people who literally don't understand FE's mechanics or save system despite having ostensibly played the games.

No-death reset runs are the harder way to play. Iron Man runs where you take your losses on the chin are great fun, but there's a reason I play them second as an easy mode for kicking back and playing sloppily when I've already proven to myself that I can struggle through my chosen difficulty perfectly. This isn't balanced like XCOM (where Iron Man is the game in its purest form, troops are designed to be expended and replenished, and squad wipes have a way of snowballing very quickly): you have to lose quite badly in FE for resource/XP depletion or the under-levelling of your B-team to really catch up to you.

I'd actually be overjoyed to have a third setting above Casual and Classic where the game automatically slaps you with a Game Over for any character death, just to save me the trouble of resetting and to make the distinction clear: that resetting isn't a cowardly cop-out but a self-imposed Game Over.

Out of all the things I come across in conversations about video games, this is the one canard that keeps on whizzing back like a boomerang and makes me wonder if people are paying any attention at all to what they're playing. But this isn't the only genre where certain players, I've realized, literally do not understand the challenge introduced by playing perfectly without checkpoints or instant save-scumming, and perceive any repetition of content or substantial cost in time as "artificial difficulty". I think some individuals just don't perceive time as a cost, a penalty, or a meaningful and well-designed source of tension and difficulty—and that is a mindset I cannot even begin to comprehend.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Fuck it, I'm going Classic / Hard with the fallback of switching down to Normal if I end up sucking at battles since people are saying Normal is essentially Easy in this.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'm definitely not playing with permadeath. I'm the sort of person who would just replay each battle if I lost someone and I don't have enough time to play the games I currently own - I'm not about to pad the Fire Emblem experience out further.

I also don't feel it cheapens anything.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It boggles the mind that people have so much trouble understanding this.

I have no problem whatsoever with those who want to play Casual (and have said repeatedly that I'm grateful it exists, as it's in the best interest of the series), but I do take extreme exception to the pervasive misrepresentation of Classic-with-resets from people who literally don't understand FE's mechanics or save system despite having ostensibly played the games.

No-death reset runs are the harder way to play. Iron Man runs where you take your losses on the chin are great fun, but there's a reason I play them second as an easy mode for kicking back and playing sloppily when I've already proven to myself that I can struggle through my chosen difficulty perfectly. This isn't balanced like XCOM (where Iron Man is the game in its purest form, troops are designed to be expended and replenished, and squad wipes have a way of snowballing very quickly): you have to lose quite badly in FE for resource/XP depletion or the under-levelling of your B-team to really catch up to you.

I'd actually be overjoyed to have a third setting above Casual and Classic where the game automatically slaps you with a Game Over for any character death, just to save me the trouble of resetting and to make the distinction clear: that resetting isn't a cowardly cop-out but a self-imposed Game Over.

Out of all the things I come across in conversations about video games, this is the one canard that keeps on whizzing back like a boomerang and makes me wonder if people are paying any attention at all to what they're playing. But this isn't the only genre where certain players, I've realized, literally do not understand the challenge introduced by playing perfectly without checkpoints or instant save-scumming, and perceive any repetition of content or substantial cost in time as "artificial difficulty". I think some individuals just don't perceive time as a cost, a penalty, or a meaningful and well-designed source of tension and difficulty—and that is a mindset I cannot even begin to comprehend.

It's just funny to me because the introduction of casual mode didn't actually do anything to settle this debate. You can play on casual mode and still reset on a character death.

If anything, the thing that *actually* changes everything is the turnwheel/divine pulse. Now there's no need to reset at all because a simple mistake or a crit happened, you can just go back. This significantly removes the tension from a no-death reset run. But ultimately, I'm not against it. I think it's something the series has needed in some way because maps can get long and resetting on those maps can be a total momentum killer. RD added battle save, but this was tedious.

The irony is that I feel like IS is kinda kicking themselves for not thinking of the turnwheel before coming up with casual mode. I think it's actually a more elegant idea for a casual mode, but at the end of the day I don't blame anyone for saying "fuck it, I don't have time for this nonsense". I love the FE series, but I think it's a weirdly conflicted series that has a hard time defining what it's primary risk vs reward system should be. That hasn't changed over many, many games.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Never casual, but I will probably play Normal.
At 50 hours+ a house, cannot waste time thinking.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So as it turns out I'm not playing this on Casual after all. So, this thread was kinda a waste.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Classic because I hate myself.

Actually, the rewind stuff will make this way less of a pain, so whatever. In any case, play it the way you prefer. I was considering casual for a good while too.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I played Xcom on easy non-hardcore and had a grand time. I plan to be a big wussy here too.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hard actually seems pretty hard to me. Not sure what some of these reviews were talking about

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The only shameful thing here is your poll, OP. Not everyone playing Classic thinks so low of others playing Casual.

Normal or Hard/Classic for me.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I picked hard/classic despite me never finishing an FE game before because I always get stuck resetting after deaths -_-

All the reviews saying normal was too easy scared me away since the only thing worse than a game that's too hard is a game that's too easy. Ah well, at least in this game you can rewind time and redo bad moves so I'm sure it will be fine.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Considering the fact I always restart a chapter if I lose a unit, I play on casual all the time now. Just saves me time and lets me continue on with the game!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So as it turns out I'm not playing this on Casual after all. So, this thread was kinda a waste.

I was originally going Normal/Casual and opted for Hard/Classic. lol

I would have done Normal but everyone was saying how easy it was so I am taking a leap of faith and doing Hard even though I usually suck at these types of games. The option to reduce it to Normal if need be made the decision easier.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I play Classic and reset whenever anything mildly inconvenient happens.

That's half true. I usually reset deaths in the early game when I'm still learning mechanics, then roll with the punches once I get to the early mid game. Ignatz just got shanked to hell on the first turn of the first story mission in a frankly baffling turn of events. Needless to say, I've wiped that.