• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
So after I finished Shenmue II in 2001, I had to wait. A long time. Now I am playing Shenmue III. I am 35 years old. Just starting the game gave me feelings I might have gotten playing games as a child, but I can't really remember feeling it before. I am looking at my children in front of me. I am explaining to my wife and children why this game is so special. It's incredible really. Just walking around, hearing Ryo and Shenhua speak. Seeing Baiu village. Continuing the story.

I know this is a weird thread, but I just wanted to share this feeling. Something I might never again feel for a videogame in my life.

It feels unreal. I am so happy!

Twonny

Dec 12, 2018
I haven't picked up my copy yet, but I was watching some friends stream it and I was blown away. I can't wait to pick up my copy and play it.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
God bless. We are all happy.
Thank you. I hope you are feeling as happy as I am right now kind stranger :)

Brother, we are one and the same.
I have tears in my eyes :)

I haven't picked up my copy yet, but I was watching some friends stream it and I was blown away. I can't wait to pick up my copy and play it.

I hope you'll get to it soon. :)

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It's very dated in some respects, obviously, but man, playing is like a warm bath for my brain. Super relaxing and nostalgic.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
In a lot of ways, the Yakuza games have completely replaced Shenmue for me, but from what I've seen so far, Shenmue 3 is a real Shenmue game with everything that entails (both good and bad). So if that's what you are looking for, then it should make you really happy.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's the longest I've ever waited for anything and I'm a Twin Peaks fan but was only a fan for just over ten years since I discovered it later (due to my age when it first came out lol). Loving every last minute of it though so far.

The music is definitely soundtrack of the year potential.

Romain

Senior Editor, Gameblog
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game earlier this week as I got it a few days early but I felt exactly the same way as you do. I'm 34 and had to explain to my wife why this game is so special. Everything felt even more surreal as my second kid was born two weeks ago!

I hope that we won't have to wait until 2037 to get Shenmue IV. And I'm pretty confident that we won't.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, it's crazy. Never thought it would happen until the Kickstarter. It's really impressive what they managed to accomplish on the modest budget, too.

Jun 12, 2018
Im a grown ass man and i sat on the main menu for 5 minutes nervous to press new game

This series truly is special and continuously evokes emotion out of you.

Im 30 hrs in and i absolutely love it.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Same it has absolutely been incredible so far. I wasn't really aware of Shenmue until about 2003-2004 or so but the wait has still been incredibly long, and worthwhile.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
One of the most surreal (gaming-related) experiences of my life will forever be selecting 'New Game' on the main menu of Shenmue 3 and seeing the story continue after 18 years of being stuck in that cave. I'm still not sure if the reality of what's happening has completely hit me yet.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game earlier this week as I got it a few days early but I felt exactly the same way as you do. I'm 34 and had to explain to my wife why this game is so special. Everything felt even more surreal as my second kid was born two weeks ago!

I hope that we won't have to wait until 2037 to get Shenmue IV. And I'm pretty confident that we won't.
Do you know something that we don't know :)

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I understand what you mean, I felt the same when I started reading the sequel to Card Captor Sakura lol

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
It truly feels amazing to come back to it after all this time. There are moments of pure magic in this game, where the rest of reality just melts away.

Oct 30, 2017
I was fully enveloped after about two hours, which I have to say is exactly how long it took the first game to click. It's a certain type of game for a certain type of person and Yu Suzuki again nailed it.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Not a game for me, but I'm happy for y'all.

Now how many years before I get my Xenoblade Chronicles X sequel...

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wasn't expecting a full blown huge Shenmue game with all the NPC interactions, context sensitive conversations and cutscenes, fully interactable rooms and objects, starting off right smack dab where 2 left off. It's kinda crazy to be playing it and I love it.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
i am now 30 and i was 12 when i played the first game. Its so hard going to work everyday thinking about this game, i rather work in shenmue's world lol i want someone cheer me on as i split a log in half

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely surreal. A new Half Life announced the same week too. Can't make this shit up.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
It's very dated in some respects, obviously, but man, playing is like a warm bath for my brain. Super relaxing and nostalgic.

So far it feels like the cut corners the right places. :) It's very relaxed, and really feels like what Shenmue III would have, and should have been 15 years ago, but in hd and with a lot more details.

yeah, it dawned on me yesterday while i was on a long drive... we now live in a world where shenmue 3 exists

it's weird, man
It's so weird! I woke up today thinking again that yesterday I started Shenmue III!

My copy should arrive today, still doesn't seem real that we have another Shenmue in 2019.
Yeah, I am at work now, but I can't wait to continue after my children are asleep tonight :)

It's the longest I've ever waited for anything and I'm a Twin Peaks fan but was only a fan for just over ten years since I discovered it later (due to my age when it first came out lol). Loving every last minute of it though so far.

The music is definitely soundtrack of the year potential.
The music is top quality, I love it :)

Salut Romain. J'écoute tous votres podcasts. J'espère que tu as raison, je serais super content si nous recevons un Shenmue IV avant que je sois grand père :)

Still waiting on my backer copy...
Mine was stuck in customs, maybe yours too? I had to pay half the price of the game new to get it out of customs. That + the 250$ I backed it with, still feels like it is totally worth it to me :)

I know that feel with FFVII Remake. Unbe-fucking-lievable.
Oh yeah, that is awesome, a lot of people might feel the same about ff7 remake :)

Yeah, it's crazy. Never thought it would happen until the Kickstarter. It's really impressive what they managed to accomplish on the modest budget, too.
Im a grown ass man and i sat on the main menu for 5 minutes nervous to press new game

This series truly is special and continuously evokes emotion out of you.

Im 30 hrs in and i absolutely love it.
Awesome, I know that feeling :)

One of the most surreal (gaming-related) experiences of my life will forever be selecting 'New Game' on the main menu of Shenmue 3 and seeing the story continue after 18 years of being stuck in that cave. I'm still not sure if the reality of what's happening has completely hit me yet.
Trust me. You're not alone dude.
Thanks, it makes me so happy :)

Yeah, I understand what you mean, I felt the same when I started reading the sequel to Card Captor Sakura lol
Cool, I hope you enjoy Card Captor Sakura as much as I love Shenmue :)

It feels so Surreal OP!
Yes! How did you feel waking up the morning after? :)

It truly feels amazing to come back to it after all this time. There are moments of pure magic in this game, where the rest of reality just melts away.
i am now 30 and i was 12 when i played the first game. Its so hard going to work everyday thinking about this game, i rather work in shenmue's world lol i want someone cheer me on as i split a log in half
I agree with you both, the world of Shenmue is awesome, it is like magic to me. And Shenmue III recreated that Shenmue special magic.

Definitely surreal. A new Half Life announced the same week too. Can't make this shit up.
Haha, that and FFVII remake not being far away? What a time to be alive :)

Thank you everyone being happy together with me. :)

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
People already finishing the game and Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy lol.
I'm happy for everyone, I am, but i'll take my long time with the game. I'll be fishing and training.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's great that fans are finally getting some payoff. It's not really my kind of game, but I can definitely identify with waiting for and anticipating a new game in a series I'm passionate about.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
We'll be getting Shenmue 3, Final Fantasy VII remake, new Half Life and Sanic The Hedgehog movie inside of a 6 month timeframe, what a time to be alive

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm glad Shenmue 3 was made, the world is compelling to explore, even if it's a lot worse than Shenmue 2 overall with its pacing and new mechanics.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Group hug everyone!
g0u4Zev.jpg

NxYZIyS.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I don't think I've ever wanted to take a game so slowly and drink it all in. I'm enjoying it sooooo much.

It's funny, I'm still in the middle of my Shenmue II playthrough and I don't feel the need to rush through it to get to Shenmue III.

My copies of the game are just sitting on my desk. I think it's because I don't want Shenmue III to be over when I haven't even started it yet LOL.

It's so weird how happy I am not to start it yet - even though I know once I do start it I'm gonna be fully in love with it.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
We all do, brother! To think that we're playing Shenmue III and above all.. my name is in the credits! What a time to be alive indeed :p

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I've always been such a pessimist in general in life but, what the fans did, managing to bring back a series that was death weigh almost 20 years later back from the grave its so inspiring and it affected some of my outlook on life.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I played a little bit on Monday night but haven't played since. I almost don't want to continue since we may have to wait another 16 years for the fourth lol.

I'm going to prolong this experience as much as I can!