• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I'm no Dragon Quest fan, but NNK is that game that western PS3 owners convinced themselves was better than the passing grade it barely deserves because options were very limited at the time of its release. I imagine if Vesperia had been multiplat, we'd never have seen this loving mythos built up around a Level-5 game that's merely okay only when at its absolute best.

Deleted member 873

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like Ni no Kuni 1 a lot and I think it looks gorgeous. A fun RPG. But I wouldn't say that it's better than DQ XI at literally everything. That's not my problem, though. My problem is that I don't see the reason as to why Dragon Quest XI has to get slandered just to sing the praise of another game. Can't both games exist? Does one have to be bad, so that the other can be considered good? I don't get it. The comparison came out of nowhere, too. OP doesn't like DQ XI. Fair, I can see why some people don't like it. No need to slander it just to say "Hey, I like this game, you should play it and here's why." Instead the comment reads like "Hey, I like this game, you should play it and don't play this other game because I think it sucks in comparison." Maybe that's just me, though...
They probably played it right after DQ or something. It's not that deep lol

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed
The DQ11 is a masterpiece spiel is so tiring. NNK1 is by no means a masterpiece but its better than DQ11 which was a safe as you can get JRPG done in the most bland way possible.

A fair comparrison for DQ11 via quality would be NNK2...

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I screamed!!! You spilled. It's literally the The Last Story of the PS3 gang.
Yeah, ridiculous. I'm playing the remaster which is available on everything. Couldn't care less about the platform. I do believe Lost Odyssey and to a lesser extent Blue Dragon benefitted from the awful JRPG drought (on stationary consoles) in the mid 2000s but NNK is legit great.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Play Dragon Quest XI with difficult monsters mode, and I promise you that you won't call the combat a snooze fest. I enjoyed NNK a lot, until a certain point, where I think that the story took a nosedive. NNK had one cool villain and a fun companion in Drippy. I liked the world map, Music and graphics, but the writing wasn't perfect. It was very up and down.

I'm 45 hours into DQ XI and I love it. It looks great, has challenging combat, fun boss fights and fun companions. As in NNK, the game's writing can be a bit uneven.

In the end, I am happy that I have played both.

Oct 30, 2017
NNK is a good game.. but DQXI is a massive epic journey with crazy big world filled with many details in every possible way you can think about.

To me there isn't any comparison here between these two, DQXI is easily one of the best RPG games of all time <3

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Felt compelled to finish Ni No Kuni 1 including the optional stuff while I keep dropping DQ11 after a session for months because it just seems interminably boring, so OP ain't wrong.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Nope, i liked Ni No Kuni but the areas were small and AI is crap, if you are talking about being Unique sure can be, but Dragon Quest IS Dragon Quest.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure! I never really had anyone knew about the movies growing up so I never got to see any of them. I also didn't have internet until 2008/early 2009 so I didn't really get a chance to learn about them that way either. It wasn't until after the game released that I first learned of the studio after getting excited for the trailer of the game which led me to look into the actual movies. I haven't watched many of them I admit outside Grave of The fireflies (some first choice I know 😅) but I recently got the blurays for My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and Kiki's delivery service so those will be the next ones I watch!
Hahahahaha, what a first choice!

Awesome! Really hope you enjoy them as much as you enjoyed Ni no Kuni. They're all quite magical.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm pretty far into the NNK 4K Remaster and this game is a straight A, and I'm pretty picky with JRPGs these days as I've just played so many. Honestly, I'm not even sure where to start praising this game. It looks sublime, it has a fantastic sense of adventure, the dungeons are good - not too long, not too short - and the challenge is actually quite good too. I like the combat, although I don't love it. It's probably the weakest part of the game, without being bad or anything. DQ11's was a big fucking snoozer. NNK is better paced (!!!), has better music, a better story, better characters, a more addictive gameplay loop, it's better at everything really, it's not even a contest. Just get the remaster and play this game if you're in the mood for a traditional JRPG and ignore everyone suggesting DQ11. It's one of the best I've played in years really and I feel like its fans aren't vocal enough about how good it is (else I would have not waited so long). It's crazy that blatant mediocrity like DQ11 receives more attention.

It's also a better Pokemon game than the last one I played (Pokemon X in 2013 or 2014). 🤷

Wait until the end...

It does not stick the landing. It is a brilliant game though.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Er, no. Ni no Kuni is a fine JRPG and the best in its own franchise but still doesn't come close to how well-designed the world and battle system are in DQXIS.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
DQ 11 is a boring slog sadly. It does nothing really well. It's THE defacto medicore cliche trope-filled jrgp and overstays its welcome by like 30h.
NNK is a rough gem. It has obviously awesome artstyle and interesting story-beats, but it lacks in many areas.

Still, I prefer NNK any day of the week.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
While Ni no Kuni has a fantastic start (and one of the best openings of any RPG I've played), my impression of the game went down as I played through it. Its towns look impressive, yet there's not much to do in them. Much as I liked the protagonist's intro, he (and the other main characters) does not develop in an interesting way. Ni no Kuni has an additional act after the natural conclusion that falls flat (something it shares in common with Dragon Quest XI, although I think that Ni no Kuni's final section is even worse in comparison). Lastly, Ni no Kuni's combat is never great, and I ended up disliking it by the game's conclusion. As a result, Ni no Kuni ended up being a game that hyped me up with its strong start, only to disappoint me. I'd much sooner replay Dragon Quest XI, a game I enjoyed much more, aside from its terrible music.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I didn't played DQ 11 yet, but NNK 1 is one of my favorite games ever. So heartwarming.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
If you have to say something else is bad in order to say the thing you like is good, 9/10 times it means the thing you like isnt all that good.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Ni no Kuni is one of my favorite games/RPGs ever. I absolutely loved it. Thought the combat was great too. I dropped DQ11 primarily because of how much of a mannequin the protag is. Extremely bland, doesn't say anything, has no personality, interaction with other characters sucks, and basically just feels like he's not even there. It's hard to get invested in the story or the characters when things are like this. The awful music didn't help either (I have the PS4 version). Other than that though, DQ11 is gorgeous and has some great gameplay, and I'll likely give the game another go in the future.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing funny about it. NNK's combat is just fine, while DQ11 plays like a game from 1992.

Sometimes, my familiar gets stuck on his way to attacking to opponent which is annoying but overall, it's quite a dynamic, fun combat system.
I never understood the hate for NNK combat system. Mighty fine and fun with some minor annoyances IMO.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait till you play the legendary Nino Kuni 2, with real time action and character switching more responsive than Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I would say I really liked both games a similar amount. Shocking, I know.

Ni no Kuni 2 was trash though.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have only ever played nnk2, but I really want to pick up the remaster, but reading about people not liking the combat system is putting a damper on my hype. Could someone explain why the combat is bad?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ni no Kuni is an incredible game, but so is Dragon Quest XI. I'm glad I'm able to appreciate two very wholesome JRPGs, personally.

Not sure why you have to rag on DQXI though. Doesn't seem very conducive to a good discussion...

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I agree as well. The only thing I'd say DQXI has I like more is Sylvando. Other than that, I really enjoyed NNK1 and it's combat more.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I actually like Ni no Kuni 1 a lot and I think it looks gorgeous. A fun RPG. But I wouldn't say that it's better than DQ XI at literally everything. That's not my problem, though. My problem is that I don't see the reason as to why Dragon Quest XI has to get slandered just to sing the praise of another game. Can't both games exist? Does one have to be bad, so that the other can be considered good? I don't get it. The comparison came out of nowhere, too. OP doesn't like DQ XI. Fair, I can see why some people don't like it. No need to slander it just to say "Hey, I like this game, you should play it and here's why." Instead the comment reads like "Hey, I like this game, you should play it and don't play this other game because I think it sucks in comparison." Maybe that's just me, though...

Gamers are physically incapable of expressing their thoughts on games without comparing/bashing some other game or sneaking in their important hot take somewhere. Online gaming discourse is a disease.

Deleted member 25834

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The battle system was pretty wacky and turned me away from the game.

It may be because I prefer more true turn-based battle systems, but this left me with little to no time to actually strategically pick the action that I wanted.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They're two very different games.
NNK is brill though, I love the familiars and world. They need to bring them back in NNK3.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Ni no Kuni was alright, didn't finished it because it was not that interesting. And the gameplay was really weak.
DQXI is a masterpiece, a perfect example of how a traditional series can evolve and still be traditional. So I really disagree.

Oct 25, 2017
I woke up today wondering to myself "I really want to see an out the left field bad take today on two games that I really enjoyed." And this thread delivered.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed NNK on the PS3 back in 2013 but only because I was really in the mood for that kind of game at the time. I thought the battle system was fine, its own glaring problem being accounting for the length of animations when giving commands. I don't know if I'd want to play through it again. I haven't gotten to DQ11 yet though.

What I liked about NNK was it felt like a SNES JRPG evolved to modern standards in terms of graphics and 3D exploration. Maybe it was the fact that it was the first console JRPG I'd played with a traversible world map in a LONG time and the first traversible world map I'd seen in HD graphics.

You can't compare the music. NNK has Joe Hisaishi and that's just cheating.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I gave up about halfway through Ni No Kuni on its original release as some issues just really soured me on it. It's been a while, but iirc, bringing out a new familiar affected Oliver's stats, which then made him useless in combat. I ended up just relying on a few standards and not bothering to level new familiars.

Aside from that, I kept coming up against this thing where, in a boss fight, I'd try to pick someone up with a phoenix feather, and then, before it got used, the boss would telegraph its big move and cut to a short cutscene. When I regained control, my feather would be gone, but my party member would still be KO'd. I don't know if it was a weird bug that I was really unlucky to have happen a number of times, because I've never heard of anyone else experiencing that, but those feathers were pretty expensive iirc, and it was pretty gutting to just have them basically go missing a bunch of times.

It was really disappointing for me, because I love jrpgs and adore Ghibli. I was so excited for it. I still have my Wizard's Edition!

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I played NNK to completion back around the time it came out on PS3 and even beat the secret boss in the postgame and I enjoyed my time with it... But I don't think I could tell you a single thing that happened in that game. It's good but ultimately pretty forgettable.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Drippy wouldn't want you slamming DQXI to prop up NNK. That being said, I love the game warts and all. It and Xenoblade basically saved JRPG's for me that generation (I own Lost Odyssey, I still need to play it).

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I have played NNK twice (3ds and PS3), but I am 40 hours in my play through of DQXI (I bought it at launch but stopped playing after prologue). Even though I have been moving through DQ at a quick clip, I can already tell this game is way too long. NNK slightly felt like the story was dragging, but I think that the cities were much more interesting, so I never complained. The music is no comparison. I love DQs music, but NNK gets the win. As for story, both games feature the trope of the wicked woman, but DQ uses it at every opportunity (along with other horrible innuendos). With that said, I think NNK was trying to do something very different than DQ, and it succeeded. DQXI was just trying to be more DQ, and i think it succeeds at that, but, after so many installments, its nothing special.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
I agree. NNK was so damn charming and I still think about it years after I've played it. DQ11 was good just very memorable. Probably one of the most forgettable jrpg experiences I've had in a while.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just arrived in Nevermore and it's making me nauseous as hell. I'm not even sure if I can finish the game Jesus Christ

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
An off-topic question: How's the performance on the Switch? I'll try to get this on the console.