• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. Ooh. OOooh. oh.
Oh. Ooh. OOooh. oh.
Oh. Ooh. OOooh. oh.
*Saxophone solo*

Catchy song.

So where do I go from here? Is M83 worth listening to or have I already heard all there is? Should I move on to something else? I'm open to suggestions!

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Older M83 is incredible. Midnight City is really a great pop song but they have tons of amazing tracks in their older albums.

It gets more ambient/shoegazey as you go back (which I like) so be ready for a pretty jarring shift if you're expecting pop tunes out it.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
You sir have stumbled upon the GOAT of that whole
late 2000's early 2010's synth pop indie movement. I wish I could return to such marvelous times of discovery.

Keep digging into M83. Dude is pure talent. Saturdays = Youth is another great album. Colors, We Own the Sky and Skin of the Night are classics.

Similar vibes from the same time period:

The Naked and Famous - Punching in a Dream

Neon Indian- Polish Girl

The Drive album might interest you. A Real Hero by Electric Youth and Nightcall by Kavinsky are ones to check out.

Also The Knife - Heartbeats

Last edited:

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Check out Body of Light. Their newest record Time to Kill is fantastic. Particularly the title track.
M83 was kind of a bridge into goth and Synthpop.

Admittedly I have a hard time going back to them now, but I feel like there's some overlap. Oh, and Bear's Den's Red Earth and Pouring Rain should scratch that itch too. They're ordinarily a folk band, but they dipped hard into that 80s synth for an album.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

youtu.be

RJD2 - The Horror

Artist: RJD2Song: The HorrorAlbum: Dead RingerLyricsTime, time, time, time, time to understand the horrorTime, time, time, time, time to understand the monst...

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Gunship

- favorite band of the past decade, and I am absolutely smitten with M83. It's less dreamy, and more on an homage to the 80s but boy does it hit ally feels.

www.gunshipmusic.com

GUNSHIP | Band

A neon soaked late night sonic getaway drive. GUNSHIP. Cinematic synthwave.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
You sir have stumbled upon the GOAT of that whole
late 2000's early 2010's synth pop indie movement. I wish I could return to such marvelous times of discovery.

Keep digging into M83. Dude is pure talent. Saturdays = Youth is another great album. Colors, We Own the Sky and Skin of the Night are classics.

Similar vibes from the same time period:

The Naked and Famous - Punching in a Dream

Neon Indian- Polish Girl

Also The Knife - Heartbeats

God. I miss those days. Also Washed Out:

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Saturdays = Youth for another M83 album

The Midnight
Drab Majesty
St. Lucia

For bands that tap into a similar sound, depending on what specifically you like about Midnight City, but they're all great.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Once the world gets back to a state of normalcy, go and see them live. Caught their set at a festival in 2012 and it's one of the best hour and a half experiences of my life, let alone gigs.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
youtu.be

Minor Victories - A Hundred Ropes (Official Video)

Taken from the self-titled debut album, out now.LP: http://found.ee/minorvLPCD: http://found.ee/minorvCDiTunes: http://found.ee/minorvitunesStream: http://fo...
Once the world gets back to a state of normalcy, go and see them live. Caught their set at a festival in 2012 and it's one of the best hour and a half experiences of my life, let alone gigs.

no joke, they played a free concert almost in my backyard in a nearby small park in 2008, kinda just wandered in with my gf heh. good memories.

it was supremely weird because i live a rather small city in Finland and we almost NEVER get any interesting artists here. it was some "new music" free all ages festival organized by the city, bunch of random artists i've forgot besides M83.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
super old compared to midnight city, but i felt like this was in the same wheelhouse:

the faunts from mass effect 1 and 3 had that same kind of mood for me

also naked and famous was already posted, but all of this is my second favorite song off passive me aggressive you for the part in the middle that contains the title

Jan 4, 2018
Not only is Hurry Up, We're Dreaming distilled nostalgia in musical form, but I now even have actual nostalgia for it (that and Graduation take me back to a time like no other).

But yeah, first thing should just be to listen to the rest of M83. Glad to see the Junk love here (even if it still isn't their best), always really liked Go! (especially with that Steve Vai guitar solo)

This song scratches the exact same itch as Midnight City

This gives me some major VHS or Beta vibes. Now it's time to fall down a late night music rabbit hole.

Trankz

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend listening to Rufus Du Sol. Their sound reminds me alot of M83

Or just watch this

Oct 28, 2017
Watch this live version from Fallon. When the sax comes in <3

And yes, if you dig this song, absolutely listen to Saturdays=Youth

Last edited:

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
Don't think it's been mentioned so far, but M83 did a really great remix of Depeche Mode's Suffer Well - it's not quite the same as Midnight City, but the layered vocals are a really beautiful effect.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Oh. Ooh. OOooh. oh.
Oh. Ooh. OOooh. oh.
Oh. Ooh. OOooh. oh.
*Saxophone solo*

Catchy song.

So where do I go from here? Is M83 worth listening to or have I already heard all there is? Should I move on to something else? I'm open to suggestions!

I would say that the rest of that album is worth it (if not superior) altogether. But it's Dreamwave, don't expect something as poppy as Midnight City. The rest of their production has ups and downs but I like it, some could even be synthwave soundtracks for games.

I would try Metronomy if you haven't gone that way yet.