• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate commentary
One of the best Japanese games about underage girls and tentacles covered in sticky substances

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i take that back that sounded way worse after i hit post
only in the wrong context

in the right context...

corgi-sploot-petcube.jpg

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening? What games are you bringing to the table?
Easy, There are many examples of better shooters. Destiny is by far my favorite that's not a third person shooter though. it's not that splatoon is bad or anything just not the best in class. Heck I would put Fortnite, Battlefront 2, Gears V, Overwatch and Division 2 all above it.

On pure gameplay its the best shooter game on the market. It's the best action multiplayer game period. The reason games like Fortnite, Overwatch and Destiny are more popular is because they:

are multi platform
are free to play in some cases
don't have a kiddy look which kids actually HATE
have a lot of modern QoL features people like such as built in voice chat and server based profiles.
And are much better games than Splatoon.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Easy, There are many examples of better shooters. Destiny is by far my favorite that's not a third person shooter though. it's not that splatoon is bad or anything just not the best in class. Heck I would put Fortnite, Battlefront 2, Gears V, Overwatch and Division 2 all above it.

I comes down to taste for sure but there is not a game on that list that is MUCH better than Splatoon 2, but your right about those being great games.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

Why are they better? More players on the map? The QoL stuff? Voice chat? More war like feel?

No other shooter has the ink mechanic but Splatoon has all the standard shooter mechanics. Ink lets you hide in plain sight and on walls. It turns the entire map into potential ambush locations. It changes your movement capabilities dynamically and constantly. It gives you at-a-glance status on match state. Not just who is winning but where everyone is or likely to be and what they're doing and where they are going. Paint allows gamers with poor aim to contribute meaningfully. Plus you still have all the typical weapon types and secondaries as other games. Splatoon lacks the QoL feature set of popular shooters. To me I prefer higher quality core gameplay over more QoL features. Splatoon will get there some day, probably next gen.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Multiplayer games have never really been my jam, but I can pick up Splatoon 2 whenever and immediately have a blast

It's sooooooooo good.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
The only one of these games that's really comparable to Splatoon is Gears. This is the thing though, how do you define "best in class" here? Splatoon is a fundamentally different game, with different design goals at its core than basically any other TPS on the market. I think the gameplay loop in Splatoon is basically unmatched in the shooter genre, and I will talk until I'm blue in the face about it if given the chance. I don't think the game is perfect, but the gameplay basically is. The way the weapons balance, the match lengths, the variables in the objectives... it's tremendously good. And any time I pick up any other shooty shooty bang bang game I just wish I was playing Splatoon.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
If you don't know what genre it belongs to, how do you know it is the best in it?

Unless you consider it the best game of all time therefore it would be best no matter the genre category.

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
Such an underrated game, the most inspired Nintendo has been in a long time. The mechanics are amazingly original, polished and in perfect sync with a universe that oozes charm and freshness.

And a testament to it all is how well it adapts to such different themes and gameplay variations, such as Salmon Run and Octo Expansion.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The way I play it, it's a game where in Salmon Run you stand in place at the spawn point and spam "woomy"

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I comes down to taste for sure but there is not a game on that list that is MUCH better than Splatoon 2, but your right about those being great games.
I agree it's all tastes.
Why are they better? More players on the map? The QoL stuff? Voice chat? More war like feel?

No other shooter has the ink mechanic but Splatoon has all the standard shooter mechanics. Ink lets you hide in plain sight and on walls. It turns the entire map into potential ambush locations. It changes your movement capabilities dynamically and constantly. It gives you at-a-glance status on match state. Not just who is winning but where everyone is or likely to be and what they're doing and where they are going. Paint allows gamers with poor aim to contribute meaningfully. Plus you still have all the typical weapon types and secondaries as other games. Splatoon lacks the QoL feature set of popular shooters. To me I prefer higher quality core gameplay over more QoL features. Splatoon will get there some day, probably next gen.
Feel, I enjoy the feel of those games much more than Splatoon. I just am not a fan and I have turned around on the Octoling and Inklings which I think are pretty cool characters.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Plus Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion is one of the best TPS campaigns out there thanks to the strong aesthetic, consistently novel levels, and stiff enough difficulty to make it all matter on top of the innovative lattice world map.

Even the horde mode is pretty great with the varied bosses, events and tactics to handle them and the focus on a consistent need to be flexible in approach.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I hadn't played it since last year but I dusted it off for the Splatfest encore, and damn, I forgot how much I loved this game. I've barely put it down all week since.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That would be Splatoon 1. Splatoon 2 kind of shit the bed IMHO. The online is so bad with the tick rate, and controlling the area with Ink is so much less important. TTK is too high. Ink rates are way too high for most weapons. The levels also by and large discourage strategic play. One of the more disappointing sequels in recent memory.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
That would be Splatoon 1. Splatoon 2 kind of shit the bed IMHO. The online is so bad with the tick rate, and controlling the area with Ink is so much less important. One of the more disappointing sequels in recent memory.
How so? I'm genuinely curious what makes you feel that way. I mostly run League pairs, and when we get teamed with people who don't effectively use map control we are fucking hosed. I think that the shift of the specials to primarily be ways to zone out enemies changed how controlling the map feels, but I don't think they made it any less important. The tick rate thing is sucky, and I wish that the online performed better period, but really my biggest issue with the game was not bringing back all the old maps. Where is Mahi Mahi Resort you cowards?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a Squid-based Tentacle Squirter, and it's very much one of the best games on the Switch.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Third person shooters. For what it's worth, Splatoon 1 and 2 are two of the most fun games I have ever played. I just love the experience from top to bottom.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Online 3rd person shooter that is incredibly fun even if you don't like online games and/or 3rd person shooters.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
i hope they add a splattle royale mode to splatoon 3

i guess the issue would be coming up with 100 ink colors that are diverse enough even for colorblind players - i guess they could keep it as teams of 4 and only have to come up with 25 colors, but it's still probably a tricky issue to work around

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
i hope they add a splattle royale mode to splatoon 3

i guess the issue would be coming up with 100 ink colors that are diverse enough even for colorblind players - i guess they could keep it as teams of 4 and only have to come up with 25 colors, but it's still probably a tricky issue to work around

I dont know if 100 squids is feasible but I love the idea of a BR in Splatoon even if it's 8 squads of 4!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
How so? I'm genuinely curious what makes you feel that way. I mostly run League pairs, and when we get teamed with people who don't effectively use map control we are fucking hosed. I think that the shift of the specials to primarily be ways to zone out enemies changed how controlling the map feels, but I don't think they made it any less important. The tick rate thing is sucky, and I wish that the online performed better period, but really my biggest issue with the game was not bringing back all the old maps. Where is Mahi Mahi Resort you cowards?
Saying that map control is less important is a big simplification for sure. The game design was so tight in the first one, with mechanics feeding into each other to create the games strategy. It's kind of complex and I suck at writing about it, so let's see if I can actually explain it...

There were a few big changes from S1 to S2 that I'll go through individually first, then try and give more details how the combination of them changes the meta.

1. Increased ink rate and coverage for most weapons. You can push forward and still have enough
  2. Decreased time to kill (TTK)
  3. Decreased map complexity
  4. Nerfed supers
  5. Decreased enemy ink movement penalty
  6. Way more ways to see where your opponents are on the map
  7. No more gamepad (more cumbersome instajumps, no realtime info on what territory is covered in what color, no map integration for supers)
  8. Increased movement speed and mobility options (dodge roll, brushes, ziplines, etc.)
Number one is the most impactful change I think. You can now push forward yourself through enemy ink with a charge weapon or a or other high damage weapons. This has a cascading effect of teams needing to work together less. The decreased TTK just compounds this. As long as you have the jump on someone, the first person to attack (assuming skill level is equal) almost always wins, regardless of what the weapon specialties are. In S1, it was often worthwhile for one person to just ink large areas, or hold down areas with a sniper rifle, even if they barely got any kills. This is why the supers being so much more powerful was actually good- they had the ability to break these deadlocks. S2 is all about rushing the objective and blowing up everyone. Due to the slower movement speed and the greater time and resources it took to ink lanes, superjumping was a lot more integral game mechanic, and watching the progression of ink across the map on your gamepad was much more important (and actually possible) to maintain awareness of how the map was changing. In S1 you could win objectives and rounds by effectively controlling territory and denying your opponent movement. In S2 you win the objective because you splat their entire team over and over.

Also Splatoon 2 doesn't have the minigames that you play while waiting for matches, so it's obviously worse by that alone.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
It's a very clever gameplay mechanic. The idea that shooting not only kills your enemy but also affects the movement of yourself and your enemies. Great game.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
The style, music and concept are just phenominal. But I seem to be the only person who has issues with the gameplay. Gyro aiming disables Y-axis stick aiming which makes it extremely awkward, and stick aiming is janky, so neither option is ideal. There should be a third option with gyro on both axes. Not sure what it is about the movement either, maybe because the game's pace is constantly jerking between slow and fast depending on whether you're shooting or moving in ink, but there's something off about it. Either way, shooting and platforming just never quite feel like you're in proper control to me, and I really just cannot see what people mean when they praise the game for its fluiditiy.

Oct 25, 2017
The style, music and concept are just phenominal. But I seem to be the only person who has issues with the gameplay. Gyro aiming disables Y-axis stick aiming which makes it extremely awkward, and stick aiming is janky, so neither option is ideal. There should be a third option with gyro on both axes. Not sure what it is about the movement either, maybe because the game's pace is constantly jerking between slow and fast depending on whether you're shooting or moving in ink, but there's something off about it. Either way, shooting and platforming just never quite feel like you're in proper control to me, and I really just cannot see what people mean when they praise the game for its fluiditiy.
You must be doing something wrong if you don't think Splatoon is the most beautifully intuitive way to play a shooter with a console controller. Have you watched tutorials on how to be thinking about aiming and movement with the gyro?

Metallia

May 31, 2018
It's an online TPS.

single-player mode is a TPS/platformer.

DLC is shooter/platform/soulslike.
I would really question calling the single player a platformer. The game doesn't push platforming challenges and in fact, most traversal from platform to platform is automatic through cannons or rails which is more akin to a moving turret section in other FPS/TPS. The majority of the movement the single player requires from you is about positioning your shots and dodging enemy shots. There's of course some obstacles, but I feel they're incidental rather than enough to qualify the game as a platformer.

Worth noting I have not played the DLC and am not sure if it pushes the platforming harder.

Apr 26, 2020
Such an underrated game, the most inspired Nintendo has been in a long time. The mechanics are amazingly original, polished and in perfect sync with a universe that oozes charm and freshness.

And a testament to it all is how well it adapts to such different themes and gameplay variations, such as Salmon Run and Octo Expansion.

I wouldnt call selling 10,13 million copies underrated, but it is certainly bigger and better than some people make it out to be

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
And frankly, they need to go multiplatform with Splatoon. I would argue that for all their multiplayer GaaS titles. The gains in franchise popularity and game sales would far exceed the console pushing power of exclusivity. People will still buy Nintendo hardware for the portability and single player exclusives and indie support.
Frankly, I think if Nintendo ever ports a major first party game, lots of people will assume Mario/Zelda/etc. will follow suit and hold off on Nintendo hardware. You can't just look at Splatoon in a vacuum.