• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I just found out last week that I might be able to get Canadian citizenship since my mom was born in Ontario. I'm definitely looking into dual citizenship, just in case.

FYI dual citizenship sucks with US as you'll need to double file taxes if you live over here:

www.google.ca

McBride: Americans residing in Canada are required to file U.S. income tax returns

Americans who reside in Canada must file United States income tax returns and bank account disclosure forms annually.

it's why some Americans drop their us citizenship if they'll never go back.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
FYI dual citizenship sucks with US as you'll need to double file taxes if you live over here:

www.google.ca

McBride: Americans residing in Canada are required to file U.S. income tax returns

Americans who reside in Canada must file United States income tax returns and bank account disclosure forms annually.

it's why some Americans drop their us citizenship if they'll never go back.

I lived in Korea for 4 years so I know what to expect in terms of what's required of US citizens even if they're not living in the country. While it was slightly annoying, it wasn't that bad. I can definitely imagine having more assets potentially makes it a headache though.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It was 12-16C(53 to 60F) earlier this year in late February/early March in Toronto(the snow melted quickly). And then of course the madness of that high 35 C/low 40(95 F to 104F) summer that pretty much lasted from the end of May to the first week of this month.

Now, apparently it's going to be a long fall/autumn.

www.cp24.com

Lengthy, enjoyable fall season likely for most of Canada, weather experts predict

Canadians can look forward to a lengthy, pleasant fall that won't give way to early winter temperatures and storms, according to one of the country's top weather forecasters.

was like the reverse for us in the center of the states. It was below freezing on halloween and snowed. It was the most WTF mother nature power move I ever saw. Then we had some absurd colds too. I don't know what to expect for fall honestly lol

If I didn't just buy a condo i would think about it.....especially if fuck face wins again. We have a division in Canada and my status should allow me to easily transfer right over without much hassle if there is an opening.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I would have moved but even my moderately educated and skilled self scored basically a zero on the "does Canada actually need or want me to live there" index. Even if I did rate higher, the process from there was long and tedious.

If the U.S. immigration system is even 10% as difficult, it's no wonder people would just skip that. Software piracy is just under serving a market and all that.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out last week that I might be able to get Canadian citizenship since my mom was born in Ontario. I'm definitely looking into dual citizenship, just in case.
Wait...dual citizenship?Folks can do that? Does it hurt you with taxes or just mean if you need it you got a fallback country when enoughs enough.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Wait...dual citizenship?Folks can do that? Does it hurt you with taxes or just mean if you need it you got a fallback country when enoughs enough.

Not with every country (some only allow you to be a citizen of that country, which I think was the case with Canada up until a decade or so ago) but with some countries.

www.investopedia.com

Dual Citizenship Advantages and Disadvantages

When does it make sense to be a citizen of the United States and another country? Here are the advantages and disadvantages of a dual citizenship.

It can potentially be a headache with taxes, but (at least with the US) treaties that help prevent double taxation usually makes it a fairly easy process. When I was living abroad I had to report the income I made to the IRS, but it was more of a "heads up, this is what I'm making" than "what do I owe you?" due to treaties.

Using the United States-Canada Income Tax Treaty to Reduce Double Taxation | 2022 TurboTax® Canada Tips

If you have income from the United States, you can save on your taxes if you know how to apply the United States-Canada Income Tax Treaty. Learn how to reduce the amounts withheld for taxes in the United States and how to file your taxes to minimize your tax burden.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Not going to lie - is Trump is reelected with all this fuckery he's trying to pull I will be wanting to move for sure. It really would be amazing to live in a place where healthcare is seen as a human right.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What an odd article. 2k extra people a year is nothing. More than that do the opposite every month.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
We just need to close our blinds and turn off the lights and the americans will think we're not home

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian, come on in, we've got free healthcare and people actually see that as a right here, none of that bootstrap shit.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd be living in Canada or Europe by the weekend. Would not look back.

Alas, I'm dirt poor, so I'm stuck here for the foreseeable future.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We could move if we absolutely wanted to (took one of those 'see if you qualify' things). But I love where we live and my wife even more so. So I'm going to stay and fight and use whatever privilege I have to fight for those that don't really have any options.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I bagged a swede. Probably getting outta here anyway but if Trump wins I'm packing election night, foh.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I think leaving the entire North American region is a lot smarter than just going up north. If the US does end up going the way of a failed nation and with the ravages of climate change, it's only a matter of time before a banded coalition of failed states of the former United States band together to invade Canada for water. Even then, Canada relies too much on cheap American food stuff for there to not be much more factors at play in where you believe you can live. Basically, the time to leave was a decade ago when we believed, even halfway we were safe. Now that we are no longer safe and witnessing the effects of climate change, hundreds of years of oppression being pushed back upon and the resurgence of fascism who the fuck wants an American in their midst?

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Reading this thread I'm surprised how strict it is for Americans and Canadians to migrate to each others country. I always had the impression there was a relaxed EU-like relationship with that particular border. I thought people could commute across the border?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been seriously considering it. California is fucked. Trump's admin has been a disaster. I work in games, and there's a big industry presence in Canada.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Reading this thread I'm surprised how strict it is for Americans and Canadians to migrate to each others country. I always had the impression there was a relaxed EU-like relationship with that particular border. I thought people could commute across the border?

Visiting has always been easy, though it was a lot easier in the past. Before the 21st century, you could cross the border in the car without needing any kind of official documentation like a passport. They'd sort of just wave you through after some routine questions. But actual citizenship is a lot tougher.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I know people say it every election but I'm going to have to move if Trump wins again. My wife is a minority and my son is mixed. There's no way we can stay in a purple or red state if the country votes in the guy who put people who look like my wife in cages and has done every horrid thing you can imagine, including an almost 200k body count because he was worried about getting re-elected. I don't see how she can feel even remotely safe.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I really wish I could go - I'm a bit too old and I can't speak French, so I doubt I'd score enough points to be eligible now. Congrats to the people who made it though.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
Shit's fucked up. America needs democratic and social reform. I understand getting away from a bad situation and all that but what about all the people who can't just pack up and move to Canada?

Also Canada ain't the fucking promised land, trust me. We have the same toxic police culture in addition to large numbers of hate groups. There's been an increase in gun crime as well stemming from the illegal gun trade.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone *genuinely* looked into the process? It appears you need to apply for permanent residency first, of course, not citizenship, as a prerequisite. There's a few different applications...one general one, but also a "business"/expedited one that I might be able to take advantage of, though the net worth requirement is kinda eh. It also seems like the application fee alone is approximately $2,000 USD, which sucks.

Even if I could get in due to favorable circumstances, it does seem unlikely most of my friends would be able to. New Zealand, Australia, Scotland, and maybe even Finland (long story) remain other options.

I'm seriously looking at this. I don't have a spouse or children, and I could potentially uproot my life and start again. And though it would be hard, I think I could mentally frame it as an adventure.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it was easy then you bet my ass I'd be in Canada right now.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am probably one of the least patriotic people in my circle here in Canada, but I find it plain to see what is so appealing about the place. If there was a way for Americans to just magically get Canadian citizenship, and I was American, I would be packing immediately. It's also basically zero culture shock in that we have all the best parts of American culture but packaged with better social programs. Honestly the US is shambolic right now. All the issues I see in Canada and Europe are absolute jokes compared to what's going on there.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Lol. I did ask my ex if we could marry if things get extra additional bad.

I feel worn down everyday. The bigotry, anti science, poor infrastructure. I paid 1000 USD for 45 min er visit for a broken thumb. (xray and thumb in a cup of iodine). I hate it here but I'm also American thus won't do anything until it's too late.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Ya know I learnt something knew I didn't know that Canada sent out the notice that you can send in your application for permanent residency. Not the other way around

Canada seems like it'd be a difficult place to make a living in a niche career.

Also, a difficult place to buy a house.

But, if it's between living there (a stable country) or here (a country where I have no idea what's going to happen and could implode at any second), I think I'd choose Canada.

Heck, I'd even try to learn metric.

Now, if only they'd let me in with a permit...can I have a friend sponsor me? Just kidding. Unless I can.

On the real, I'd expect that Canada will have at least somewhat of a difficult time, economically, if things really degrade in the US.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Those numbers are rather low, tbh. Where I live, we've seen higher numbers from countries with way smaller population.

How niche are we talking?

Housing is expensive in certain areas like Vancouver and the Toronto area, but quite affordable in others.

Nom-profit education/workforce development

It's pretty difficult to find a sustainable career in that even in the US. But, maybe it's easier elsewhere?

Isn't most of Ontario expensive to purchase a house?
And is it also expensive everywhere in lower BC - in proximity to Vancouver?

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the ones that moved do well here.

It's understandable that even though a lot of people are unhappy with living in the US, it's hard to actually leave. Most people can't just leave all their friends and family like that.
You aren't going to another dimension. We share a land border you can cross by car. Instead of missing friends and family I think the biggest hurdle is immigration requirements and money. It's expensive to move and most countries, Canada included, have a selective immigration process.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
While these stats don't look as impressive at the first look it's worth remembering that canada and most of europe have pretty high standards for people they take.

So you're mostly looking at wealthy, highly skilled people that are leaving while the rest either can't afford it or get denied because they aren't seen as 'valuable'.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
UK here and someone who I worked with has moved to Canada to live and I'm exceptionally jealous when I see all their Facebook posts. Obviously you're only getting the highlight reel but if I could get away from this cesspit of a country I'd be on that plane like a shot.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Welcome to Canada, but please promise to leave your Nazi and racist ideals behind.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
"Try" to move. How many actually succeeded? Because as far as I know, it's not something simple and it takes quite a while to even be accepted(IF you get accepted).

Welcome to Canada, but please promise to leave your Nazi and racist ideals behind.

Don't worry, we already got those. Even if they don't make the news quite as often as the american ones.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
We considered it briefly, and could probably get fast-tracked since my wife is a medical professional. At this point though, we'd be leaving too much behind. ...If he wins this one and then decides to declare himself emperor in 2024, we'll maybe look at options.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
As much as I'd love to leave...I was born and raised in the USA with all the baggage that come with it. I'd love to say I'm different, "one of the good ones" but I'm know I'm not. I'm not sure I believe in "good ones" anymore. If I really think another country is a better place, I have no right to infect it with the virus that I am just for the sake of making myself feel better. I know full well I deserve whatever hell I get.