• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
"I don't like videogames THAT much" says the dude with over one thousand posts on a niche video games discussion forum.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Too late, too late, too late. The best time to boycott this was with the 360 but so long as it took off there was no stopping it

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao I love this image. I wonder if anyone has ever actually hired a hooker to play video games with them.

Not hookers, but...

techcrunch.com

GameCrush Lets Guys Pay Money To Play Online Games With Women (Seriously) | TechCrunch

Meet GameCrush, a startup that manages to sound both ridiculous and very promising at once. The gist: take the millions of male gamers out there and offer to hook them up online with a gaming buddy of the opposite sex for a fee. Or, as founder Eric Strasser put it, "if you can buy a girl a drink...

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Ps Plus really isn't that bad. €5.99 a month for 2 games and usually one of them is AAA.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ThreadbareForthrightGemsbuck-size_restricted.gif

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I'd rather just buy games at $20 or less and play SP.

Which is what I have been doing this whole gen.

(and not paying online)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If the price of a yearly sub is keeping you from enjoying games (like Fall Guy to use your example!) then you should 100% buy yourself a PC. Free online play and cheaper games. You'll be a happier gamer.

Herola

Nov 3, 2017
You still would not be spending as much money as a gaming PC at the specs of either PS5 or Series X. That's including the price of Plus or Gold. (Even if you didn't want to pay the $60 price, there are deals all the time for either of them.)

I've wanted to get into PC gaming but the price to get the next gen specs (as of the next two years per a lot of pc gaming YT channels) is still above the price of the systems.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
I'm with you, OP. Lack of free online was one of the reasons I switched to PC this gen. While I did get a PS4 eventually for exclusives, I still refuse to pay for PS+.

gnoclaude

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
We are not okay with it. I built a PC so I wouldn't have to give Sony's greedy ass money for PS plus. Now I just buy their exclusives once they hit 10 bucks and I don't buy any 3rd party games on PS4. I'm gone for good. I do love the direction of MS and may get a series x to replace my one X.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I built a PC partly to avoid online fees and to have more control over my experience... And I kept Nintendo consoles expecting them to stay free online. At least Nintendo's fee is super low, but, still.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Go for free online on PC, then. Just know that it comes with potential issues, namely cheaters. You mentioned CoD, and the recent release has been among the worst offenders, especially in relation to its F2P battle royale mode.

Personally, I prefer to play single-player multiplatform games on PC and do competitive multiplayer on PS4. I've never paid over $40 for an annual PS Plus sub. But I totally understand not wanting to pay to play online, and I'm not really a fan of it either.

Oct 25, 2017
$3/month is just a bridge too far I guess, especially for something that apparently gives a lot of joy to use? I mean, it's annoying to pay for but servers cost money.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't play online very much at all. Fall Guys is the first time since MonHun came out. I mainly pay for ps+ for the 2 games a month and I'm pretty happy with that. Can usually get it for about 40/month which is less than 4 bucks a month. Doesn't bother me, and I am a huge cheap skate.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
they can pry free online from my cold dead hands... *sits off in a corner eating raw peanut butter

who's having "next gen fun" now huh. HUH? suckers...

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
$3/month is just a bridge too far I guess, especially for something that apparently gives a lot of joy to use? I mean, it's annoying to pay for but servers cost money.
The cut these companies get from game sales and microtransactions covers this stuff. Also, this stuff isn't paying for game servers, just matchmaking or whatever. Devs are still doing their own servers for their games. It's a complete ripoff, don't believe otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
My solution (developed after going 9 years without a PC upgrade because I don't have the money to drop $1000+ at once):
Don't play online multiplayer games.

It sucks, but it's pretty much worked. Multiplayer is too stressful for me now anyways. If Halo ever returned to its former glory, I'd consider spending a year or two saving for a PC. But by then it'd probably be dead and people will have moved on to Fortnite Chapter 3 or w/e.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I hate paying for online but avoiding cheaters on PC is worth the pain. I had to double dip on Battlefield V because Dice/EA wouldn't do anything about all the aimbotting.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PCs are expensive and the online scene is rife with cheating.

You're paying for it one way or another.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm really thinking of getting PS+ since I see many deals for $30-35 lately. Relative to Nintendo Online, PS+ is far better for only $10-15 more.

That said, I hate paying for online play. I'm not going to resub with Nintendo. Just not worth it at all. At least with PS+ I get some worthwhile games.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Good luck. I went the past like, 4 years without PS Plus but recently caved and bought a sub for $30.

It's not going anywhere, unfortunately.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Alternative title for this thread: "I won't be buying a next gen console."

welcome to PC gaming then.

If only your talking points weren't straight out of 2005.
Some PC online game communities are great.

Some are absolutely infested with cheaters, with some I'd even go as far to say are frankly unplayable with randoms.

Best way to play on PC is to stick with friends.
Actually, the same is true for consoles as well.
A lot of people just suck.

Oct 27, 2017
Remember last week when we thought Xbox live was going away and it was practically confirmed! Yeah I remember, things were gonna change for the better! That was a Golden Age.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Thats what?

3 bucks a month?

I'll live lol.

Can you guys please tell me where I can get PS+ for $3/month? And I'm not talking about some shitty napkin math, I mean literally paying $3 a month here and there. It would be quite nice since I'm not always playing online on my PS4.

Thanks.

*rolls eyes*

This is coming from someone who mainly play games on PC these days.

Some PC online game communities are great.

Some are absolutely infested with cheaters, with some I'd even go as far to say are frankly unplayable with randoms.

Best way to play on PC is to stick with friends.
Actually, the same is true for consoles as well.
A lot of people just suck.

Could you guys be more specific? What specific games and what cheats exactly are you referring to?

I know there's Warzone for sure with aimbots and wall hacks, but I can't think of many others? The games I play online don't seem to have any issues.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Good luck with that. Your only option is PC gaming.

You wanna blame someone for P2P online multiplayer being the norm for consoles, blame Microsoft.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
And that's one it's better to play online games on PC. I really hope MHW2 comes on PC day one.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Can you guys please tell me where I can get PS+ for $3/month? And I'm not talking about some shitty napkin math, I mean literally paying $3 a month here and there. It would be quite nice since I'm not always playing online on my PS4.

Thanks.

Could you guys be more specific? What specific games and what cheats exactly are you referring to?

I know there's Warzone for sure with aimbots and wall hacks, but I can't think of many others? The games I play online don't seem to have any issues.
Usually the top f2p games have cheaters. Although I have heard csgo is fairly good about stopping it. It's certainly not as rampant imo as people complain about though.