• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's not, though. "Innovative" features are cool but unnecessary for these games, and every game that uses these 'features' is totally functional without them already (Remote play lets you use controllers that don't have those functions and they're fine). There IS a best of both worlds solution: Not requiring you to use a dualsense. Shocking, I know.

People act like "Oh if the DS4 was allowed nobody would use the dualsense features" like, for real? EVERY PS5 comes with a dualsense. It will ALWAYS be the most used controller for the system. Everyone has one. It's not like devs are splitting the userbase if they make a game that requires it somehow.

This might shock some of the younger defense force folks here, but the PS2 let you use PS1 controllers too, and they didn't even have analog sticks. Somehow we managed and devs somehow still made games that required analog sticks. Crazy.

Part of Sony's stance is about increasing the likelihood that developers put in the time to utilise those features. The extent to which it does that is extremely hard to quantify, but it's not going to be zero. If you're making a game that features local multiplayer, you are more likely to spend time on haptics and triggers if you know everyone playing it will experience it compared to a scenario where one of four people might be. Practically there are already a lot of reasons why developers might not take the time on those features, you can see why Sony wouldn't want to add more. Sony want their innovations to be used, and that is a real uphill battle.

People act like "Oh if the DS4 was allowed nobody would use the dualsense features" like, for real?

Is anyone actually saying that? Because that looks like a strawman to me. Another example of why arguments on Resetera primarily revolve around people talking past one another.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
This post is nonsenscial. There's no significant technical reason why you shouldn't be able to use a DS4. Sony purposely blocked it.

Never said there was. I'm saying buying new controllers with a new console is a normal thing, Sony isn't going to change its mind, and the OP is denying himself full enjoyment of his new console. But that's his choice! If he wants to make a stand Sony isn't going to pay any attention to, so be it.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
It's not, though. "Innovative" features are cool but unnecessary for these games, and every game that uses these 'features' is totally functional without them already (Remote play lets you use controllers that don't have those functions and they're fine). There IS a best of both worlds solution: Not requiring you to use a dualsense. Shocking, I know.

People act like "Oh if the DS4 was allowed nobody would use the dualsense features" like, for real? EVERY PS5 comes with a dualsense. It will ALWAYS be the most used controller for the system. Everyone has one. It's not like devs are splitting the userbase if they make a game that requires it somehow.

This might shock some of the younger defense force folks here, but the PS2 let you use PS1 controllers too, and they didn't even have analog sticks. Somehow we managed and devs somehow still made games that required analog sticks. Crazy.
This is where I'm at. Wow, I didn't know that about the PS1 controller being compatible with the PS2.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a personal problem?

Buy another controller if you want to play a game requiring another controller.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I'm playing It Takes Two with my wife on the Series X. I would have been pissed if my Xbox one controller (used for PC) didn't work.

Luckily Microsoft is gamer friendly.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
Nearly bought another Dualsense for It Takes Two with my girlfriend then realised I could just play the PS4 version on my PS5.

I'll buy a second controller eventually, but at the end of the day, we went into this hobby knowing how expensive it was, so it's all our fault.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Has two $500 consoles at launch
Complains about buying $70 controller
Buy another controller if you want to play a game requiring another controller.
I know reading is hard, but the OP isn't very long, and it clearly states that he'd rather buy couch co-op games on his new console that already supports the controllers that he has, rather than buying the same games on the other new console that would require extra hardware for no reason.

He's clearly not unwilling to spend money. He's highlighting a shortcoming of one of two competing devices.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I already bought a second controller and the charging station when I bought my console because I learned from the DS4 lol. I think it's the ideal setup though. Easy to just swap controllers in and out as necessary and the charging station is a nice place to keep them anyway.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly the DualSense dies fast enough to warrant a spare regardless of playing multiplayer games or not.
Battery life is still bad? I have a near launch Ps4 controller and that is the reason why I bought another one, battery was awful. Would assume the battery would be better in these new ones.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
DualSense spare and charging station were the best last minute impulse buys I made.

I wouldn't have thought it before, but it's a boon to even single player.

yep, this came in the GS preorder bundle I got and has been great. I get it's shitty that Sony won't let the DS4 be used on PS5 but this is such a weird hill to die on.

Did people get big mad that you couldn't use the DS3 on the PS4?

PS, buy It Takes Two on whatever platform you can, it's fucking fantastic.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's inexcusable for sure. The PS4 copies don't even register both controllers (dualshock and dualsense) properly either. Just let us play the PS5 version of the game and treat the DS4 as if rumble is turned off.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just waiting for them to release a black one. I know it'll come eventually and I'd regret buying multiple white controllers (not a fan of the look at all) when that happens.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
There actually was reason to be upset that Sony went from what was possibly the best implementation of generic USB controller support in any console ever in the PS3 to the extremely restrictive in comparison PS4, yes.

All sorts of random PC USB controllers worked fine on the PS3. I used my Saturn USB pad and generic PC converters on lots of games. Then Sony just killed all of it in the following generation.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
yep, this came in the GS preorder bundle I got and has been great. I get it's shitty that Sony won't let the DS4 be used on PS5 but this is such a weird hill to die on.

PS4 wasn't bc with ps3. Didn't have the touchpad either I guess you can say.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought controller for fighting games for nearly a decade, and thankfully my TE PS3 stick will work with PS5. I don't know about the 360 stick though.

Is anyone else running into this issue with couch co-op games? The fact that my Xbox One controllers all work on my X means I will only ever have 1 controller for the PS5. For example, this means I will never buy a fighting game on the PS5 because I would have to buy another controller to play with my family/friends. So by default, these games will only be bought on my Xbox.

This thread was prompted by the PSN sale that has Mortal Kombat 11 for $15. I almost bought it until I realized my family can't play it together without another PS5 controller!
You can do that with PS4 version of Ultimate. The one on sale is not the native PS5 game anyway.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I usually put off buying a new controller for at least a couple years. The feel of a new fresh controller is very nice.

Oct 28, 2020
I had no idea that PS4 controllers worked on PS5 games through remote play. Why the hell wouldn't they just let you do that on the console too? Fix that!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea that PS4 controllers worked on PS5 games through remote play. Why the hell wouldn't they just let you do that on the console too? Fix that!

Because Sony didn't anticipate fans jumping through hoops to use a last gen controller. A controller that has no reason to be locked out when you can turn off haptic feedback on your dual sense anyway lol. Not surprising people continue to defend the shit just cause it's the norm.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Edit- ah forget it

On topic though... but I do agree now that Sony should have allowed DS4 controllers to be played for PS5 games. Every PS5 comes with a DS controller...an additional one used would most likely be for multiplayer games.

Now I think the reason why they want multiplayer PS5 games to be used with DS controllers is so a friend/family member (who lives outside the household) who uses it, can experience the PS5 as to how Sony wanted it... so it would be a potential sale of a PS5 for said person.

But imo... that shouldn't be enough reason to not allow a household from using their PS4 controllers for future PS5 multiplayer games. I think that's just overthinking it. (Which I'm probably doing myself right now)

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Yeah, this is a big reason why I haven't even touched Sackboy despite me owning it.
It's a really scummy move given that the Dualshock 4 would work fine and works in Remote Play, and I'm not giving them the satisfaction of getting $70 out of me for another controller when they could've made the ones I already paid them for work fine.

Oct 27, 2017

Such an odd take. It doesn't seem like They are dying on any hill at all. They're exercising their right as a consumer and choosing to purchase the game on a platform that supports their use case, and then follow that decision up with a healthy discussion about the choice.
Seems pretty mature and level-headed to me.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
yo what? Xbox has controller bc. OP can use controllers they already own with Xbox.
No I saw that but I just feel your main system tends to be the one you willing to purchase more accessories for and the one you play less you less willing to add on to. I use my PC the most so I'm more likely to get a game on there then let's say my ps5 or series x.

maybe that's just me though

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Frankly the DualSense dies fast enough to warrant a spare regardless of playing multiplayer games or not.

Basically. Don't have a PS5 but when I got my PS4 I bought an extra controller day one because I heard how shit the battery is.

But on topic, like OP said, It's great that Xbox is backwards compatible. Me and a few friends played a Co-op game a few weeks ago with an Old Xbox One controller in addition to my Series controllers.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the combat mechanics of Returnal and Deathloop. So I disagree.

I had to google what the features were and while I'm going to be playing with haptic enabled, I wouldn't consider your "gun jamming" and not being to pull the trigger a mechanic. Other games last gen have done gun jamming animations and like usual, you just wait for it to play out. And when Deathloop comes to Xbox it's probably going to be exactly that.

Besides, Sony put it in their accessibility menu to disable everything relating to haptic feedback and the mechanics are still there and they still work, with triggers acting like the dualshock 4. It just doesn't feel as immersive as haptic.

I'm more curious about Returnal and their ADS options (half way to zoom / all the way in for alt fire). Well, what happens if you disable resistance all around? Sony has to be prepared for that. Not everybody likes it, after all. What I'm saying is, while it feels great in your hands, I don't think implying it will "not work" because you aren't using the dual sense feature is fair.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
So you didn't buy a PS4 game on PS5 even though said PS4 game doesn't need a DualSense to be played by two people and you can just use a PS4 controller that I'm sure you have as well? Okay.
This. The only version of MK11 that's on sale right now is the PS4 version so OP didn't buy a game because he couldn't use his old controllers with it when he actually could

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 controllers should work for the PS5.Only reason why they don't is they want people to spend extra money.
They should, but well they also want the innovative functionality to be more rapidly adopted by developers too, and not to fall by the wayside like some of their past controller features did.

I for one am glad we are still having the same argument about this that we were back in 2020.
  • Yes part of Sony's motivation on this is making money
  • But allowing DS4s would reduce likelihood of devs supporting DualSense features
  • Yes, Microsoft's stance on this is pro-consumer
  • But Xbox controllers haven't changed much since 2005
  • Despite which XSX controller is priced almost the same as the DualSense
  • But Microsoft packs cool features into Elite Controllres
  • Which are extremely, extremely expensive
The situation with local mp, especially for 4 player stuff, is unfortunate for the PS5. But I don't think it's particularly outrageous or surprising. It would be great to get a best-of-both-worlds from Sony and Microsoft, but if it is a choice between the innovative approach with the PS5 and the conservative one with the XSX, I'll take it.
Well said.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know reading is hard, but the OP isn't very long, and it clearly states that he'd rather buy couch co-op games on his new console that already supports the controllers that he has, rather than buying the same games on the other new console that would require extra hardware for no reason.

He's clearly not unwilling to spend money. He's highlighting a shortcoming of one of two competing devices.
I know reading is hard, but my reply was even shorter than the OP, and I suggested that the OP buy another controller if they want to play a game requiring another controller.

wonkybump

Apr 29, 2020
I can't live without 2 controllers. Whenever the battery runs out in one, I have another ready to go!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
We have 2 PS5s, so moving a controller to one to temporarily play couch co-op isn't an issue. The real thing comes up when there are viable mods for the thing to have remappable paddles. Then I'll buy a third one for modding.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I didn't buy a PS5, but if I did I'd buy two controllers so I can use the other one while one is charging. No local multiplayer games right now since we're in a pandemic though.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Think about the developer headache though. If they want to use a game mechanic that absolutely requires haptic feedback, say pressing the trigger at a certain force to pick a lock or something, they have to consider that the user might be using a DS4 and account for that. They could outright say "DualSense required for this title" at startup, but then the buck is just passed from Sony to the developers. Why should the developer have to be bad guy forcing people to buy new controllers? It would be easier to just cancel the haptic feature than deal with controller checks and confused/disgruntled customers.

That being said, I think a good compromise would be a warning that comes up when a DS4 is connected to the console that some features may be unavailable with this controller and a DualSense is recommended. So games without new functionality could still be played and consumers would have to acknowledge that the game may not work as intended. Forcing disclaimers is still not an ideal user experience though

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I've thought about this too. I think my girlfriend would actually like Sackboy, but buying it plus a new controller is too expensive to justify taking a chance on. Especially when we have other Switch games we can play instead.
For what it's worth, you can buy sack boy for $40 now, and it's absolutely a blast to play with another person. I bought a second controller so my wife and I could play and it has been worth it. Having a second controller when the other runs out is a perk. I also foresee other coop games will be worth having it around for in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Just stop having friends and you'll never again have to buy extra controllers. Saves you a ton of cash on not going out with friends too!

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
My friends and cousins almost all have ps5's so controllers are not an issue. The major couch multiplayer games I play on playstation are fighters in which I have a separate fight stick for and friends prefer the normal controller anyway.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've only had stick drift on my of Xbox one controllers. Other than that every controller I've owned has lasted well due to my careful care. I know stick drift is an issue on PS4/switch but I haven't really experienced it. That being said battery life is important to me and I don't wanna invest into controllers that I gotta worry about keeping charged for mp sessions. It's why Xbox has been my preferred way to play local co-op/vs games the last few years. I'd be down to buy a secondary dualsense that took AAs when I get my PS5

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They should, but well they also want the innovative functionality to be more rapidly adopted by developers too, and not to fall by the wayside like some of their past controller features did

Everyone has a Dualsense. The userbase is established. If a dev doesn't make use of it, that's just on them. You're not getting support taken away from you by Sony allowing more affordable way for their friends or family to hop into a game.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I bought an extra controller day 1, even though I didn't really need it lol...

Because last gen I felt that I needed it once in blue moon, and it was unfortunate that I didn't have an extra controller for co-op/fifa

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
Think about the developer headache though. If they want to use a game mechanic that absolutely requires haptic feedback, say pressing the trigger at a certain force to pick a lock or something, they have to consider that the user might be using a DS4 and account for that. They could outright say "DualSense required for this title" at startup, but then the buck is just passed from Sony to the developers. Why should the developer have to be bad guy forcing people to buy new controllers? It would be easier to just cancel the haptic feature than deal with controller checks and confused/disgruntled customers.

That being said, I think a good compromise would be a warning that comes up when a DS4 is connected to the console that some features may be unavailable with this controller and a DualSense is recommended. So games without new functionality could still be played and consumers would have to acknowledge that the game may not work as intended. Forcing disclaimers is still not an ideal user experience though
They already have to think about that, as you can switch off adaptive triggers in the settings.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
For example, this means I will never buy a fighting game on the PS5 because I would have to buy another controller to play with my family/friends. So by default, these games will only be bought on my Xbox.

So you not buying Guilty Gear Strive? Yo loss, tbh.

I have two last gen arcade sticks that work on every single PS5 fighting game, so I can't relate.