• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It was $20 at Best Buy and I kinda just wanted a game to mash shit out on and I figured that was perfect but uh
like do I have to have played Fire Emblem games to get it or vibe with these characters or am I good?

just addin another thread to my bad purchasing decisions that's all

note: i aint got nothing against fire emblem and they might be great but i just haven't dived into any of 'em yet

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's ok, if you were a fire emblem fan you'd spend the whole game wishing they had included characters you actually liked

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Idk I never played FE Fates so those chars did nothing for me, but overall FEW is one of the best Musou games, with better gameplay than Hyrule Warriors even if that means it has less wildly varying mission objectives.

That said, the balance is kind of screwed by the lack of any on-foot lancers - unless you buy the DLC which gives you two. You can get along without them for sure, but the weapon triangle is a little lopsided.

Good game regardless of the Fire Emblem tie-in. Not a bad purchase.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Honestly it's probably easier to enjoy as a non-fan because the gameplay's great but the fanservice is quite lacking compared to other crossover musous lol

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
like do I have to have played Fire Emblem games to get it or vibe with these characters or am I good?

Erm... well, you'll have to be the one to let us know that. It's a referential mash-up game with a poor excuse for a story to justify it.

You might enjoy the characters, though, which'll give you an incentive to play actual Fire Emblems. Just don't be dissuaded from Fire Emblem by FEW, since it's a spinoff.

Unfortunately, a good portion of the cast of FEW is drawn from Fates, and the supports you'll see of them in FEW will often be better than any writing in their actual game.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
it's probably better that you don't have an attachment to any fire emblem characters prior to playing warriors

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually found this game to be easier to get into than Hyrule Warriors. And yeah, the fact that you have no attachment to particular FE games or characters will probably work in your favor lol. The game was heavily biased towards basically just two recent FE games.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I've played most of the Fire Emblem games and while the gameplay in this is pretty strong as musou games go, their cast decisions were incredibly questionable, so don't feel bad about not caring about these folks.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
it's ok, if you were a fire emblem fan you'd spend the whole game wishing they had included characters you actually liked
Yeah, I think it'd be better as a musou fan who isn't into Fire Emblem. It's still funny that the same KT writers who did FEW also did Three Houses.

... I don't really get calling it a good musou either. Samurai Warriors is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better if you want character switching (and has surprisingly good writing).

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty bad as a Fire Emblem fan service but really good as a musou. It added some much needed complexity into where to direct teammates and who to pair up.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
It's a pretty good musou game tbh. They added some neat stuff

For fire emblem fans it distilled the whole 16 entry series down to the 2 recent entries and the 1st game which gets all the fan service representation anyway.

It's like if a Final Fantasy crossover game only had characters from XIII, XV and VII

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

People don't like Lyn, Celica, Chrom, Marth, Lucina, Robin, Frederick etc?

I think it's the fact that it had mostly Awakening & Fates characters (and no one likes Fates) that really pissed people off.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
People don't like Lyn, Celica, Chrom, Marth, Lucina, Robin, Frederick etc?

I think it's the fact that it had mostly Awakening & Fates characters (and no one likes Fates) that really pissed people off.
Don't know why they have to add the four younger siblings instead of better side-characters

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
You don't really need to know the stories of other games. The game has a stand alone story that draws heroes and their companions from other games. All the little references would make more sense having played the games the characters are from but it is easy enough to follow.

The character that doesn't make a whole lot of sense is/are the Anna sisters and they are more or less a running gag and a very late game unlock any way. For the most part, the characters, their relationships etc are fairly straight forward.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
IT's a fan fest story for the most part loosely tying into subplots of the other Fire Emblems. There's not a lot to worry about. The game feels great to play but the weapon variety and gameplay variety isn't as good as Hyrule Warriors imo.

THAT BEING SAID, the tactics system and controlling and moving your units is integral to the gameplay and makes it really feel like they paid attention to how to implement FE mechanics into the musou formula and it's my favorite version of AI control.

Oct 28, 2017
Even as a Fire Emblem fan, I couldn't help but feel like this one was a miss for me.

I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors well enough, and enjoyed Dragon Quest Heroes quite a bit. But I didn't find the FE mechanics they pulled into the warriors formula satisfying at all.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
It's a pretty good musou game tbh. They added some neat stuff

For fire emblem fans it distilled the whole 16 entry series down to the 2 recent entries and the 1st game which gets all the fan service representation anyway.

It's like if a Final Fantasy crossover game only had characters from XIII, XV and VII
To be honest that how they did it with Hyrule Warriors, the problem is that unlike Zelda Fire Emblem has more characters that made up the plot so they need to add them before the fan favorites, the problem is that they decided to focus so much on Fate which is the worst FE story

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Idk I never played FE Fates so those chars did nothing for me, but overall FEW is one of the best Musou games, with better gameplay than Hyrule Warriors even if that means it has less wildly varying mission objectives.
It's definitely the musou game with the most advanced quality-of-life features so far, so it makes me really interested to see if they add anything big for the new Hyrule Warriors game next month.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest that how they did it with Hyrule Warriors, the problem is that unlike Zelda Fire Emblem has more characters that made up the plot so they need to add them before the fan favorites, the problem is that they decided to focus so much on Fate which is the worst FE story

The playable characters from hyrule warriors in the base game only came from OOT, TP and SS, sure, but they made heavy references to the other games in other ways.

E.g. Zelda has the wind waker as a weapon set in the default game, a major objective in one of the story stages is to revive a great fairy who then pulls down a majora's mask moon to defeat an enemy, so on.

FEW completely failed at representing other games in the franchise in a similar way.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I did the same. Game did some cool things for Warriors gameplay overall, but the lack of attachment to the FE franchise meant it faded into my collection after a couple hours of play.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
I had fun with it on my first playthrough, but I can't get back into it. Roster was pretty disappointing, and paying for clones through the season pass was also disappointing. Lyn was fun to play as though!
If they were going for clones, I would've at least wanted more of them even if they share movesets. Def take more work though.
Instead of more fan favorite side characters, we get 8 Fate royals lmao.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I actually loved FE Warriors (big FE and musou fan here), the strategy elements it incorporated were great. A sequel that acts to Three Houses like Age of Calamity does to BOTW (expands upon the lore, and incorporates all of the characters) is one of my most wanted games - the characters in FE:3H are just too perfect to be left in the one game, I want more games with them, screw new casts.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Gameplay is Fun but that's about it. Move sets are also seemingly tied to weapons so quite a few people are clones.

now excuse me as I hope we one day get a sequel where I can see Ike, Roy, and the Black Knight stomp some fools

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
Big Fire Emblem and musou fan. I totally loved this entry.

The game focuses on three games but has some more representation with Lyn and Celice, although they are late game unlocks. Also, the support conversations have a lot of references so don't mind them.

As a game, it has so much to do that you'll have a lot of content and is great how you can command your units, pair them up and switch between characters. A lot of this QOL make their way to Hyrule Warriors Deluxe and... it doesn't feel as natural, but does help a lot to play it.