• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
Seven Samurai The Video Game

Where is it?

Build a team of seven samurai, travel to different rice farm villages protecting them from waves of bandits. Some mercenaries will die, others will join your travels. End game, you vs or protect the emperor. Endless mode, waves upon waves of bandits. Hardcore mode, samurai dies, you progress to the next village with the survivors.

Fire Emblem x Borderlands anyone?

Art style:
Sengoku-Choujuu-Giga_AC_Poster.jpg

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish more games explored the Bakumatsu period. It's a major reason why i desperately want SEGA to localize Yakuza Ishin.
Honestly do any of these samurai games do anything post-Sengoku Jidai? A good chunk of the best samurai movies and other media do the Edo period and Bakumatsu. A while ago there was one Bakumatsu game I heard about on the PS2 but it never got translated.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Agreed. Would be great to see a realistic Way of the Samurai-esque take on it using modern hardware. Ghost is close, but ultimately ended up having more fantastical elements than I thought/hoped it would.

I held off buying Ghost for ages because I worried about this but I would say it has less fantastical elements than a Way of the Samurai game, outside of one special attack (and the multiplayer but I am not interested in that)

I would like to see the setting used more and seriously but I dont think we will get much beyond whatever the next Ghost will be. There was a nice period there of more realistic-ish type games with the early Way of the Samurai, Kengo series and one of my favs Fu-un Shinsengumi and its sequel but I guess there just isnt enough interest and people would rather fight monsters. Ghost at least didnt go much into that territory in the single player.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly it's one of the few aesthetics that doesn't draw me in, and I have a hard time with it.

Always been a much more futuristic kinda person.

All that said though I'm super happy it made a resurgence, after the heavy use of post modern and apocalyptic through out most of PS3/360 and huge chunk of Ps4. I have stopped to gush at some of the visuals/moments in things like Ghost and Sekiro and it's nice to just see some variance in settings again.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
This is a good thread to pop up now, because I've been looking for two types of games in the Feudal Era games I've been looking to play to scratch the samurai itch after beating Tsushima: side scrolling beat em ups, and Musou/Warriors games. What's the best to take a look at in these regards?

Bonus points if anyone can tell me of a samurai themed turn based RPG that exists (I hear there's a Samurai Shodown RPG? But to my knowledge, it's never been translated).

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
maybe but at the end of the day it's about money and the demand was clearly there if the success of ghost was any indication. they blew it lol
I mean...it's not like they made a bad choice with Valhalla.
https://screenrant.com/ac-valhalla-sales-ubisoft-most-profitable-quarter-ever/
AC Valhalla Sales Drove Ubisoft's Most Profitable Quarter Ever
Assassin's Creed: Valhalla had the best launch week of any game in the series, resulting in Ubisoft seeing its most profitable quarter ever.

Rimpim

Banned
Feb 7, 2021
maybe but at the end of the day it's about money and the demand was clearly there if the success of ghost was any indication. they blew it lol
AC: Valhalla is head and shoulders above the sales of Ghosts. I'm sure they are weeping with this huge mistake.
The truth is, people from Europe and US are more interested in games & movies based on a more familiar historical setting.

And I am speaking about the general audience.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's time to re-release Kenseiden, Sega.
giphy.gif

I love this setting and it has gave us great games, Sekiro is among my favourite games of all time. But as much as I love this resurgence, I still feel like is a very safe and common setting, what I'm trying to say with my bad english, is this setting can go away for a certain period of time, but we will always have games with this feudal japan feeling, is one estabilshed concept in the industry, but games are yet to try or at least try more another very interest ideias like Maori culture, Africa besides Egypt, latin mythologies and many more. This all can coexist though.
I would love to see an action-adventure or RPG in a pre-colonial Meso-American or South American setting.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I held off buying Ghost for ages because I worried about this but I would say it has less fantastical elements than a Way of the Samurai game, outside of one special attack (and the multiplayer but I am not interested in that)

I would like to see the setting used more and seriously but I dont think we will get much beyond whatever the next Ghost will be. There was a nice period there of more realistic-ish type games with the early Way of the Samurai, Kengo series and one of my favs Fu-un Shinsengumi and its sequel but I guess there just isnt enough interest and people would rather fight monsters. Ghost at least didnt go much into that territory in the single player.
Agreed, and I didn't mean to fault it - it's mostly grounded. Just the focus on some actual historical elements had me thinking they'd fully commit to a grounded experience and they didn't.

I think there's be a market for a real Samurai sim tho - along the lines of Kingdom Come (but like, not directed by a nazi)

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I really miss Tenchu and Shinobido. Need more stealth ninja games in my life. But yes, muromachi/azuchi-momoyama/early edo everything!

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
This is a good thread to pop up now, because I've been looking for two types of games in the Feudal Era games I've been looking to play to scratch the samurai itch after beating Tsushima: side scrolling beat em ups, and Musou/Warriors games. What's the best to take a look at in these regards?

Bonus points if anyone can tell me of a samurai themed turn based RPG that exists (I hear there's a Samurai Shodown RPG? But to my knowledge, it's never been translated).
Check out Oreshika for the vita. Since it's a turn based game it has more classes not just Samurai and it's a managing game on top of it. It's set before the Feudal era tho and is purely Japan fantasy (Yokai). Thematically it reminds me of Okami.

Actually, I'll just post a few screen-shot of it. lol
OTB_Mar102015_02.jpg

oreshika%20screen.jpg

2822619-oreshika1.png

OTB10.jpg
I put the pics in to spoilers since I'm on my phone.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Tsushima is Creed with samurai swords. There's still room for someone to make basically Red Dead with samurai swords.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Is this a good time to bring up Toukiden 1 and 2? I felt this was a refreshing change of pace for Tecmo-Koei's Omega Force who focuses almost entirely on their Warriors series and did a take on the Monster Hunter genre. Both games are heavily Feudal Japan influenced and many of the monsters are mainly based on the typical Japanese Oni and other mythical creatures like Kappa or Onigumo (Giant Spider demons)

Someone above also mentioned Muramasa which is another fantastic take on the setting too.