• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
dont expect gyro in any games outside of splatoon.
i have simply given up on anything outside of splatoon having gyro aiming...
loved it to death since the first one on wii u.

i loved HZD, but fighting sort of was a bit dull.
it had it times like when you encounter and get the eagle down the first time...

Please stop trying to make gyro aiming a thing.

The kinect of controller input.

Triggers first, please.
not sure, but have you even tried it?
triggers are to shoot, the analogue sticks are to aim.

iam not sure, but have you tried it yet?
it is no waggle, you tilt the controller into a direction to additionally get a better precision.

it is the best thing ever happening.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about a feature I would never, ever use or notice wasn't there. It is weird that more Sony games don't use it since the controller supports it by default, but in two playthroughs of Horizon the idea never occurred to me. The sticks are plenty precise, and the game is one of the best of the generation. "Catastrophic." Please.

Jan 31, 2018
More options are great but I hope gyro aiming never becomes the standard to the point where it replaces the sticks. It just makes things so much harder then they need to be.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
More options are great but I hope gyro aiming never becomes the standard to the point where it replaces the sticks. It just makes things so much harder then they need to be.

I think most people that love gyro aim use it the same way as me: use the sticks still for big, sweeping motions to get the aim on the enemy, and then use small gyro movement to fine tune my aim to Target headshots/weak points. I agree pure gyro aim is not the best, but as an addition to stick aim? It rules.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I will never willingly gyro aim. seems fine to make it a general option if a control device supports it and it's not too much dev work.

however I don't care at all. not even a little bit.

I am also skeptical that there's an accessibility argument, since people with precise wrist movement probably also have precise thumb movement.

I could be wrong, in which case I would care about the feature but still refuse to use it.

Apr 3, 2020
I do understand why players like or want more games to implement gyro aiming, but honestly I don't think they work 100% like intended, I remember many moments where I my aim dragged down by gyro while I was rising my aim by the stick, so this why I tuned it off in BoTW

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
WTF I can't believe Killzone Shadowfall has it! Why would Guerrilla go backwards?

Suppose I'll have to buy Killzone now

Horizon was one of my favorite games of this generation, and if Horizon 2 has gyro support I think it will be a trend-setter for the next generation.

FunnyBunny19

alt account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Going from BOTW to HZD was definitely a let down on that regard. Gyro aiming should be standard, absolutely. It's just so much more precise, the ability to fine tune what your analog stick just can't quite do.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No one ever spoke of replacing the right stick (a track pad on the other hand...) but having the option of gyro aiming as a standard it's becoming more needed as time goes on

I agree it should be there as an option, but if a game is not designed around gyro controls, then it's not needed

There are limitations to all control inputs, and most games are made with an input in mind and this is taken into consideration when the game is being designed. This is why we have things like aim assist etc

Kb/m is more precise than dual analogue anyway, but it would be just as silly to claim all console games are catastrophically flawed for not allowing kb/m, or for not making kb/m the default

I'm all for adding gyro as an option, or for developers to make it the default for their game, but Horizon doesn't have gyro controls and wasn't built around them, and it's still a great game held in high regard by players and critics alike. It's not a flawed game for not offering something it wasn't built around accommodating

If you prefer gyro then it's understandable that you'd be disappointed, but that's on you, not the game

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I agree wholeheartedly. Horizon: Zero Dawn entire gameplay loop resolves around hitting certain exact pieces of armor. Having that extra gyro fidelity to aim exactly where I want to aim would greatly enhance the experience.

I'm baffled by people claiming they're not in the right position to tilt a controller. Do you play with your controller pressed in your lap? It's just an ever so slight nudge or a tilt. The right stick is still there for getting the reticle on the target, but instead of letting auto aim take over, you slightly tilt the controller to where you want your shot to land exactly.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
TBF it's only been a thing for a few years. I'm actually flabergasted that somebody's enjoyment of a pretty standard TPS is being affected by the lack of a feature that until the Switch people got along fine without for decades.
I never liked the default controller setup. I actually avoided Metroid Prime for a long time because I thought it was a dual analog shooter.

It has nothing to do with Switch either. Splatoon had gyro aim assist on the Wii U, and any of the target practice minigames in the 3DS Zelda remasters were much, much easier with the gyro aim enabled.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
It wasn't that big of a deal before, but after playing Breath of the Wild and getting used to gyros, it's almost a deal breaker to me.
Every game that has aiming of some sorts should have a gyro aiming option.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it's optional then I'm totally fine with gyro aiming. I'm fcking hate motion control of any kind using the standard controller. If I want to do motion control, I'll play VR.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, it was pretty painful, especially as I don't particularly like the DS4 analogs sticks. And 30 fps on top of that just makes the shooting not enjoyable. But I've only played a small part on PS4, will play the full thing on PC.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Kb/m is more precise than dual analogue anyway, but it would be just as silly to claim all console games are catastrophically flawed for not allowing kb/m, or for not making kb/m the default

Your argument is invalid and detracts from the point the OP is making. There is no KB/M inside your dualshock controller, there is however a gyro which the developers of HZD have used before.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
A better analogy would be a PC shooter that didn't have mouse support and made you aim with the keyboard. Sure, maybe you got used to aiming with the number pad and don't like using the mouse, but as long as just about every PC has a mouse or trackpad attached to it, why would you not support them?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I wouldn't call not including gyro in a shooter catastrophic, but not having it as an option really is a dumb, pointless downgrade. It is a plus that makes these games better and easier to control.

I agree wholeheartedly. Horizon: Zero Dawn entire gameplay loop resolves around hitting certain exact pieces of armor. Having that extra gyro fidelity to aim exactly where I want to aim would greatly enhance the experience.

I'm baffled by people claiming they're not in the right position to tilt a controller. Do you play with your controller pressed in your lap? It's just an ever so slight nudge or a tilt. The right stick is still there for getting the reticle on the target, but instead of letting auto aim take over, you slightly tilt the controller to where you want your shot to land exactly.

Seriously. It's like some of these people don't realise that "gyro aiming" is really about using gyro and the right stick in combination. Do they think you're supposed to be sitting in a swivel chair or something?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There will be some of y'all that won't get Gyro after having used it. It's a new input method the same way dual analogue movement plus camera control confused the shit out of people back in the day. It's going to eventually become a well supported standard as the younger generation gets more used to it and as it gets supported more.

If Era still exists you can quote this post in a decade and prove me wrong/right

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
People who use gyro aiming usually also use the sticks to aim, sticks are for unprecise movements in a direction while the gyro functions as a correction mechanism to get that target just right. There is nothing wrong with adding in the extra functionality if people so desire.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
A better analogy would be a PC shooter that didn't have mouse support and made you aim with the keyboard. Sure, maybe you got used to aiming with the number pad and don't like using the mouse, but as long as just about every PC has a mouse or trackpad attached to it, why would you not support them?

Oh man, this reminds me of the pure shit tier port that was resident evil 4 on pc. It did exactly this and you had to mod in mouse support.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once you start unlocking the other weapons you'll find that the need for pinpoint accuracy isn't needed at all. You can exploit the shit out of the other weapons that makes the game a breeze even on the hardest difficulties.

Should stick with it, this game has some of the best world building this gen.

You sure Killzone 3 and Shadowfall had gyro, OP? KZ 3 had move controller support. Killzone Mercenaries had gyro but that was a Vita game.

Last edited:

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Catastrophic is a huge exaggeration, but yeah, I felt the same way. Aiming in any game with only sticks sucks.
Edit: the resistance people here have to gyro aiming is always hilarious.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I went through an entire generation of 3D games of using D-pad to move until ps2 and even then it wasn't until encountering a game with forced analogue movement, which was... Enter the Matrix
Me too, the first game I was forced to use it for was Jak & Daxter. I never had an analog PS1 controller and I hated the thought of a different method of control after 14 years of D-pads.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Your argument is invalid and detracts from the point the OP is making. There is no KB/M inside your dualshock controller, there is however a gyro which the developers of HZD have used before.

I said twice it should be offered as an option

But unless you think they designed with game around gyro, and then forgot to add it to the options menu, they full well knew when designing the game it would be played with a dual analogue set up

If the game reviewed poorly, was a poor product, or the controls being bad were consistently bought up, then yeah, the OP would have a point that it hurts the game, however as far as I'm aware, this didn't happen. The game isn't flawed, and we all agree gyro should be offered as an option for those who want it

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
User banned (1 week): attacking the community, prior infraction for the same

It won't. Era is insane and latches on to dumb stuff like this in an attempt to be a contributing factor in some kind of cultural shift if it does pick up.

The gyro/steam controller camp are a bunch of clowns.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Hope we get less gyro tbh. It's just a crutch for people that can't handle bad aiming.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I said twice it should be offered as an option

Good so you agree, then make the rest of your post sound like it instead of using logical fallacies to counteract

But unless you think they designed with game around gyro, and then forgot to add it to the options menu, they full well knew when designing the game it would be played with a dual analogue set up

Chicken and the egg problem. It would be played without Gyro aiming, because we don't implement gyro aiming, thus resulting in noone asking for gyro aiming. Come on man you're still doing it. Circular reasoning ain't the treasure trove you think it is.

If the game reviewed poorly, was a poor product, or the controls being bad were consistently bought up, then yeah, the OP would have a point that it hurts the game, however as far as I'm aware, this didn't happen.
You're dismissing someone elses concerns regarding a product due to it reviewing well and the concern not being consistenly brought up? An argument towards authority and more circular reasoning.

The game isn't flawed, and we all agree gyro should be offered as an option for those who want it

I wholeheartedly agree, but your whole post is once again trying to paint another picture.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It won't. Era is insane and latches on to dumb stuff like this in an attempt to be a contributing factor in some kind of cultural shift if it does pick up.

The gyro/steam controller camp are a bunch of clowns.
Uhh you guys don't seem to know how gyro aiming works. You can't replace the right stick. You use both sticks AND gyro.
You use the right stick to get your aim in the general vicinity and then fine tune with the gyro aiming. It's so easy and makes games feel so much better to play as you can actually be quick and accurate with your shots.

Just going to ignore that weird conspiracy theory and insult in this second post.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
After what, over 3 years that the game is out now this is the very first time I hear people complaining about it not having gyro aim? No one ever raised that problem before, so I don't know if it is actually a real problem and if it is "catastrophic".

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Ignorance is bliss. I have no idea what it feels like to use and don't feel like I'm missing out any.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the takes here are hilarious.

Aiming with the sticks is objectively less accurate than with gyro.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Learned what gyro aiming was today despite the contextual clue that the term provides already.

Sounds dizzy and clunky tho

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I can't stand gyro aiming in anything but BoTW, and even that was a bit iffy for me

I do support having it as an option in most games, though. Seems like a lot of people make good use of it

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good so you agree, then make the rest of your post sound like it instead of using logical fallacies to counteract

Chicken and the egg problem. It would be played without Gyro aiming, because we don't implement gyro aiming, thus resulting in noone asking for gyro aiming. Come on man you're still doing it. Circular reasoning ain't the treasure trove you think it is.

You're dismissing someone elses concerns regarding a product due to it reviewing well and the concern not being consistenly brought up? An argument towards authority and more circular reasoning.

I wholeheartedly agree, but your whole post is once again trying to paint another picture.

If someone is arguing a product is flawed, they need to argue that it's flawed

I could say Resi 4 is a bad game because you can't move and shoot at the same time, and that would be a dumb take too, because the game was designed around not being able to move and shoot at the same time. If you disable that, you break the game

Shooters that are designed for dual analogue are fundamentally designed in a different way to games design to be played on keyboard and mouse, as dual analogue is less precise. It informs the design of how enemies move and behave, to how hiboxes are implemented, to encounter design

The game doesn't offer gyro, so it was presumably designed around dual analogue and not more precise input methods. So if these methods are poor, or hold the game back, or hurt the game, then yes, it's flawed. If not, then the game doesn't need gyro

Even though that is the case, it should still be offered as an option for those who want it. Options are always a plus. I said this as my first line in my first post in the thread

It's not my fault you don't understand how games are designed

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Yes keep the gyro threads coming. It's so awesome on steam, using da4.
It's even awesome on the PS4 onscreen keyboard. I hear it's awesome in days gone too.

It's in the controller, give us the option to use it damn it!

dziga

Banned
Mar 5, 2020
some of those takes are hilarious
i'm sure the same people will praise horizon 2 if it adds gyro aiming

Tezza

Nov 15, 2017
Question for you all, didn't know where to put it

This game is on my backlog, however would you recommend I wait for the PS5, and play with with boost enchantments it might get, or just play it now.