• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll see a good number of Sony games ported to PC over the next few years. Horizon seemed to do pretty well despite a rocky launch and near $60 price tag.
I imagine porting from PS4 to PC likely isn't that difficult or expensive and these older games that aren't likely earning much money for Soney or selling systems anymore can have a second sales life on PC.

Of course Covid likely delayed them quite a bit but that's happening across the industry. I doubt we'll see Sony launching games on PC day and date of the PS5 version like Microsoft (at least not for a very long time with maybe a few exceptions like if they bring their MLB game to PC next year) but I do think we'll see a significant number of Sony games on PC in the next few years.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't PC initiative was started by Shawn Layden and Shuhei Yoshida. One has left and yosp is overseeing indie initiative

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be lying if I said I thought there was much of a long term strategy. Death Stranding paved the way for Horizon due to engine. But Sony very clearly doesn't view PC as some second pillar of their overall strategy. To the point where even the people saying "COVID" I think are being naive.

If they start bringing over more games? Great. But right now there's nothing for you to have faith in in the first place.

OP
OP
Dec 15, 2017
I think we'll see a good number of Sony games ported to PC over the next few years. Horizon seemed to do pretty well despite a rocky launch and near $60 price tag.
I imagine porting from PS4 to PC likely isn't that difficult or expensive and these older games that aren't likely earning much money for Soney or selling systems anymore can have a second sales life on PC.

Of course Covid likely delayed them quite a bit but that's happening across the industry. I doubt we'll see Sony launching games on PC day and date of the PS5 version like Microsoft (at least not for a very long time with maybe a few exceptions like if they bring their MLB game to PC next year) but I do think we'll see a significant number of Sony games on PC in the next few years.

I think porting ps5 games wouldn't be as profitable for them until the average pc user has a pc as powerful as a ps5. But ps4 games if we'll ported could run in a lot of pcs out there.

The ps5 is a really good machine specswise. I'm not a fan of their ecosystem though.

Nov 18, 2017
honestly between Flower, Journey, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Detroit: Become Human, Death Stranding & Horizon: Zero Dawn we had a good run and got way more than I ever anticipated Sony bringing to PC. (expected a big fat 0 tbh)

Its always been pretty clear where Sony's priorities lie, still holding out hope that we one day see the likes of God of War, Blood & Truth and Ghost of Tsushima make the jump but i aint gonna hold my breath.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I think porting ps5 games wouldn't be as profitable for them until the average pc user has a pc as powerful as a ps5. But ps4 games if we'll ported could run in a lot of pcs out there.

The ps5 is a really good machine specswise. I'm not a fan of their ecosystem though.
Yeah I think they'll port a bunch of their PS4 games over the next few few years, then eventually move on to what will be older PS5 games when there are more high end PCs out there.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I always thought this viewpoint was incredibly naive. "Wow, Horizon is so amazing I'm just going to buy a whole new console and change how I live my entertainment life".

They did it to earn some scratch. It wasn't part of some grand strategy to indoctrinate PC gamers into buying PS5s. Their games are good. They're not that good.

People who believe that was the strategy are deluded. And if it's truly their plan, then Sony are the deluded ones.

People buy systems to play individual games all the time. I've certainly bought many systems for that exact reason.

I don't think it's some grand strategy to indoctrinate PC gamers, but I think they want to make a profit while advertising their brand, expand their mindshare and whatnot. It's pretty logical to think that people who played Horizon might be quite keen to play the sequel.

That doesn't mean most people would think that way, that everyone that bought Horizon on PC would buy a PS5, but I think it's naive not to think it doesn't propagate the Playstation brand further, which inevitably draws more attention to their future releases and hardware.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No MLB21 is honestly a surprise. I kinda expected another big legacy PS4 port to be revealed by now too (Spider-Man, God of War, Bloodborne, TLOU Remastered, etc).